PDA

View Full Version : commercials for commercials

diecast cars
06-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I've been wanting to say this for awhile, but this new trend of commercials for movie trailers cracks me up. Today I saw a commercial for the commercial for King Kong tonight. I remember a fairly heavy promotion for the Star Wars trailer too. Does anyone else get a chuckle out of this?

Thudlow Boink
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Yep, me too.Today I saw a commercial for the commercial for King Kong tonight.I saw this a few days ago and thought, "Hmmm. Is this the first time I've seen a commercial for a commercial?

Smeghead
06-27-2005, 09:26 PM
It's better than a "news" story about a commercial, like tonight's bit on the local news about Coke's new ad, featuring a new version of that crappy old "I'd like to teach the world to sing" song. They did a news story about that.

Otto
06-28-2005, 02:35 AM
I'll bet the people who make money because of the increased ratings from people tuning in to shows they don't normally watch to see the trailer get a real good chuckle out of it.

Hampshire
06-28-2005, 08:23 AM
I remember just recently MTV showing ads for it's 1/2 hour unveiling of the XBox 360 which was essentially a 1/2 hour commercial for XBox.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.