PDA

View Full Version : If you could have your mom make one meal or food dish what would it be?

Idle Thoughts
06-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm pretty sure there's always one dish that everyone loves/loved their mom to make. Even if your mom is the most horrible cook in the world, by your opinion and others, come on..there's got to be something she makes that's great.

Or maybe she makes everything great. In that case, you're lucky..or were if your mother isn't around for any reason any more.

But if you had your choice to eat one dish made by your mom tonight, what would it be?

What was your mom's best dish? What did she make that tasted like heaven to your taste buds?

My mom had Barbequed Pork Chops. Way back when she'd make pork chops in hunt's BBQ sauce. Fry them up and then soak them in this bowl full of it, then just put the entire bowl itself on the table. Then we'd all have the chance to fish around in the sause to try to find the chops and put them, dripping and steaming, onto our places. I remember it was so delicious.

Mom hasn't made pork chops that way for a long time. But I think someday I'll ask her to, and certainly if I had my choice, I'd ask her to cook those, and that way.

What about you? What dish that good ol mom used (or still) to make did you enjoy the most? What could your mom do wonders with?

whistlepig
06-27-2005, 06:08 PM
My mom used to make a hot dish that was elbow macaroni, hamburger and canned tomatos with melted velveeta cheese on top. I loved it when I was a kid.

She hasn't made it in years and when I asked her recently she said she had forgotten how to make it. Turns out that my mom never liked to cook, which explains all the TV dinners and soup and sandwhich meals when I was a kid and the fact that I can only remember her making six different things. Ever.

I started cooking in my mid-thirties when I finally got tired of having eaten "bachelor food" for years. Now when I go home, I bring 3-4 recipes and cook for my mom, leaving her freezer full of good food.

whistlepig

Jayn_Newell
06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Pie crust. Then I could get Dad to fill it with apple pie filling (I've never had pies better than his, though I once had one almost as good). Not sure why, but Mom always made the crust and Dad always made the filling in my house.

I've swiped their recipies though, so now I'm gonna make my own :D

Queen Tonya
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
My parents retired and moved a few hundred miles away, luckily for me they usually stay here when they come back for family things. So I'm always buying (what I hope are all the correct) ingredients for a favorite meal and begging Mom to make it.

If I could have it right now, I'd ask for a big ol' down home dinner. Fried potatoes, cole slaw, cornbread, pinto beans and the most tender pork chops ever.

Sure, it takes at least six months off your life, but it's six months off the end, see? :D

teela brown
06-27-2005, 06:22 PM
My mom hated cooking, too. She made this concoction called "Tuna and peas on toast", which is just about how it sounds: canned tuna and canned peas in a plain white sauce, spooned over toasted white bread. I thought it was the best stuff in the world when I was seven years old. She's beyond cooking nowadays, besides living 500 miles away. I'd make it myself, but Mr. Brown says it sounds like shit on a shingle and declines having any.

AuntiePam
06-27-2005, 06:29 PM
My mom's fried chicken was the best, and she made a wonderful rice pudding using a double boiler.

My grandma cooked on a wood stove, and her custard pudding was to die for.

If my kids were answering this question, I think they'd ask for homemade noodles with chicken.

RunAmok
06-27-2005, 06:41 PM
It's a total cliche, but my mom's buttermilk biscuits are the best thing ever to come out of an oven. I've spent a couple of decades trying to figure out her "magic," but my biscuits are still only so-so, while Mom's are a bit of handheld heaven. You'd think, with only three ingredients (White Lily self-rising flour, butter-flavored Crisco, and buttermilk,) that this wouldn't be so problematic, eh?

Left Hand of Dorkness
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
My mom goes through weird food phases, cycling back and forth between veganism and Atkinsarianism, with various stops along the way. So she makes different killer food at different times. Fortunately, she's a fantastic cook.

My favorite meat dish that I remember her making? Her barbecued chicken. I don't know what the recipe was, but I loved that crack when I was a kid.

My favorite vegetarian dish that I remember her making? Her tempeh enchiladas are exquisitely delicious.

My favorite generic dish? She used to make these spectacular whole-wheat honey butter horn rolls; out of this world.

Daniel

Bippy the Beardless
06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Tasty Beehive...

Suet pudding made with mince beef, gravy and marmite, heaven.

Anaamika
06-27-2005, 07:27 PM
My mom hated cooking, but she made the best chicken biryani in the whole wide world.

Chicken with rice, seasoned and oh-so-yummy.

Can I add my dad, too? He made baingan ka bhartha, eggplant sliced up and sauteed with onions & lots of spices and hot. Oh, I miss it. I will never eat eggplant any other way.

Left Hand of Dorkness
06-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Can I add my dad, too? He made baingan ka bhartha, eggplant sliced up and sauteed with onions & lots of spices and hot. Oh, I miss it. I will never eat eggplant any other way.
My wife makes this dish too--it's extremely delicious, and is the only way I'll eat eggplant too! And considering that her extremely delicious sort is something she learned from an online recipe, I can only imagine how good your dad's might've been.

Daniel

Kitchen Wench
06-27-2005, 07:44 PM
My mom is a terrible cook, but there is one dish she made eons ago that still sticks in my brain- Chicken broccoli casserole. She won't make it anymore because it's "too fattening." So I got the recipe and now I make it every now and then.

And if we're going to talk about Dads... Skillet beans. Oh god, those were good. Molasses, bacon pieces, shreds of Arthur Bryant's brisket, and other ingredients. I wish I had paid attention when he made those. He's currently sitting in a carved wooden box on my entertainment armoire, so I can't actually ask for the recipe. And he made some killer red beans & rice with keilbasa sausage. Oh yeah, he taught me how to make milk gravy. But mine never tastes as good as his. When I was a little girl, he turned me on to breaded stewed tomatoes, which is nothing more than a can of stewed tomatoes with a couple pieces of toast torn up and mixed in. I still make that stuff. Yummy!

Askia
06-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Sweet potato poms. My mom hasn't made this in decades, though. Funny how it leaped to mind. It's a sort of orange fudge made from sweet potatoes. Very delicious.

Anastasaeon
06-27-2005, 07:50 PM
My Mom's simple cheese pizza blows all others away. I always tease her and my father for "hating flavour", but it works great for her cheese pizza. Not too greasy, not too ambitious, it's just right.

And let me tell you something, I almost had a heart attack when I read the thread title from the main forums page; since it doesn't show all of the title, the only thing I could read was: "If you could have your mom..." And I prayed it wasn't what I thought it was. And my prayer was answered. Whew.

Kyla
06-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Chiles rellenos. I know I could go to the taqueria a couple blocks away and have them make me my very own chiles rellenos, but I like my mommy's best. I always think that someday I will get her to teach me how to make them, but then I remember I am lazy and don't really like cooking.

BMax
06-27-2005, 07:59 PM
My mom made this incredible bread roll. She'd take bread dough and roll it out flat. Then she'd cover it with sliced Polish sausage, sauerkraut, onion slices and sometimes cheese. Then she'd roll the whole thing up and bake it.

It's the one food I missed the most when I was in the army. She quit making it after most of the kids left, I don't know if my youngest sister even remembers it.

Odinoneeye
06-27-2005, 08:06 PM
My mom hated cooking, too. She made this concoction called "Tuna and peas on toast", which is just about how it sounds: canned tuna and canned peas in a plain white sauce, spooned over toasted white bread. I thought it was the best stuff in the world when I was seven years old. She's beyond cooking nowadays, besides living 500 miles away. I'd make it myself, but Mr. Brown says it sounds like shit on a shingle and declines having any.

We called that "Creamed Tuna" but we served it on rice. I used to love it, but then my mom started working evenings and it was simple for her to make and let us heat up so we had it alot. Got sick of it.

My problem in answering this thread is that I'm a much better cook than my mom. I've improved almost all of her recipes.

The two things I can think of are:

1: Long rice (hekka) a Japanese dish made with teriyaki chicken or beef and these bey curd threads that just soaked up the teriyaki sauce. I made it once, but it's been a while.

2: Fried corned beef and cabbage. I've never met anyone who eats this fried, and I could probably make it myself, but havn't tried. You just shread the cabbage, saute it for awhile, add some water and let it steam. When it gets wilted, you add a can of corned beef and heat. Serve over rice with soy sauce.

adhemar
06-27-2005, 08:09 PM
just about everything my Mom makes is great but the best thing she has made that I would like to have again is the chocolate truffles she made one year, the most incredible rich chocolate experince. She has a great cheesecake too but I can make that myself.

Now my Dad, cornbread and barbeque ribs. No one can make cornbread as good as his even following his recipe and as far as the ribs... I just don't eat ribs fixed by anyone else including the wolrd famous Rendezvous restaurant. I would ratrher wait for the real thing.

Stinkum
06-27-2005, 10:45 PM
If I could bring her back from the grave for just one day, I'd ask her to make her scones, from her mother's recipe. And this time, I'd pay attention so I could do it myself. Not too rich or sweet, perfect with a bit of butter warm from the oven. Then we'd sit around and drink tea and eat them all.

I miss my mommy. :(

Guinastasia
06-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Pierogies, pierogies, pierogies!!!

diku
06-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Her fried chicken. Easy. Pan-fried in a cast iron pan. Just perfect.

With her meatloaf on the side. Shut up, it's my meal. :)

Cunctator
06-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Her pineapple upside-down cake.

fishbicycle
06-28-2005, 12:37 AM
If I could have my mom back for one day, I'd ask her to make soup. She was a master soup maker, especially split-pea soup with ham, which she made in a pressure cooker.

I wouldn't let her go without telling me how to make gravy like she did. It continues to elude me, so I never eat any.

Telperien
06-28-2005, 12:57 AM
I like almost everything my mom makes (except for this weird thing she does with potatoes, hamburger meat, and tortillas--the only potato thing I can remember refusing to eat) but the best things she cooks are lasagne and chicken and dumplings. I can't choose between them.

Cheesesteak
06-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Lasagna. One tray of my mom's lasagna will feed a large family for days. I don't know how such a small woman can pick up a tray that heavy! Tons of meat, cheese, and her homemade sauce, I don't even try to make my own because it just doesn't compare.

Rushgeekgirl
06-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Pimento and cheese spread. Momma couldn't cook worth spit but she made a damned fine sandwich!
I don't know how she made it taste so good, but I can't duplicate it. It could in part be the pickles. My grandmother canned them herself and they are long gone. :(

delphica
06-28-2005, 07:11 AM
My mom is a good cook, so it's hard to pick just one, but the thing that stands out the most is her homemade sourdough bread rolls. She whips them up without looking at the recipe, yet they always comes out the same. The smell while they are cooking makes you think you died and went to heaven. Baked goods heaven. The best way to eat them is to split them right out of the oven, and fill the inside with butter or cheese and let it get melty.

You know how kids can bring cupcakes to school on their birthday to share with the class? One year I asked her to make rolls instead, and it was such a hit it became an annual tradition. She would make them that day and drive them into school still warm from the oven. I sometimes run into people I went to grammar school with, and they ask if my mom still makes those rolls, as if I might happen to have one in my purse or something.

I have the recipe, I have her starter, and I can never get it quite as good. I've made it in her kitchen, so using her tap water and cooking it in her oven -- I know that slight differences in tap water and oven temperature can cause differences in taste in breads, but still, can't get it quite right.

Eureka
06-28-2005, 07:34 AM
Potato Salad, from my grandmother's recipe. Many of the recipes my mother fixes I have obtained and thus can cook myself if I want to badly enough. But her potato salad is based on a recipe that says "Potatoes, salad dressing, eggs, onion" and the salad dressing is not mayonnaise but rather a vinegar based concoction which has slightly better directions but still not good enough. Also, while I don't mind substituting amounts of ingredients (what does adding a few more mushrooms hurt?) I prefer to have some idea what the original amounts were.

Dorjän
06-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Pot Roast with Potatos & Carrots... mmmmmmm...

And Chili!

Angua
06-28-2005, 09:35 AM

My late grandmother made eggplant this way too. It was amazing.

As for my mum's cooking, you mean I can only pick one dish? Blimey. Er...

She makes an absolutely lovely Indian sweet called mohanthar, which is essentially chick pea flour, shed loads of sugar, saffron, and butter. When she makes it, it tastes absolutely divine. Particularly as the brother and I used to got to scrape the bits of mix off the sides afterwards, which was by far the best bit of all.

She won't make it anymore -- partly because she's done her back in, and the arthiritis makes it difficult for her to stir the mix for the required length of time. :(

supervenusfreak
06-28-2005, 09:57 AM
If my mom were able, I would have her make her fabulous peanut butter eggs. They were always the highlight of any holiday at home. She used a recipe that she found in a mennonite cookbook, added a few things, and as any good cook does, improvised and improved. She has Parkinson's and I have taken over her care here, so the recipe in her mind just isn't there anymore.

Another recipe that she used to make was one for Amish Moon Pies (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1713,148175-225206,00.html). A couple of weeks ago, after a visit to my sister, she brought home several pounds of dried apples. I found the recipe, and made 3 dozen of these delectible treats. They were gone in two days.......................I am definitely making some to bring to Gettydope this year.

Missy2U
06-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Hmmm.

Her ribs - I loved these. They were big ole spareribs, and were they tender...

Her potroast - she made the BEST gravy. I can't make gravy anywhere NEAR as good as my mom.

Her Tuna Noodle Casserole.

Sigh.

OH - and her tiny toffee squares - these were cookies.

I need to go to Arizona and visit her.

ROAD TRIP!!! :D

DeVena
06-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Fried Apple Pies - with home-made apple butter filling and crust. Basically half-moon pies the size of your hand filled with rich spicy apple butter and then deep fried. Your arteries start clogging just from the smell.

And breaded, baked pork chops. Mmmmmmmm.

Sunspace
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
One dish?

My mom was a good cook. Just one dish?

Okay... rissoles and mashed potatoes. :)

(For years I thought rissole was spelled 'wristle', to rhyme with 'gristle'. That's what happens when you live with siomeone who cooks out of their head and doesn't need to check the book too often.)

My mom died in 1996. I miss my mom.

supervenusfreak
06-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Fried Apple Pies - with home-made apple butter filling and crust. Basically half-moon pies the size of your hand filled with rich spicy apple butter and then deep fried. Your arteries start clogging just from the smell.

That recipe sounds alot like mine, but without the frying. The smell alone is intoxicating

chefjef
06-28-2005, 10:35 AM
I love fried apple pies. Seems like only Moms can make them well - I tried once and failed.

I would have mine make banana pudding - it rules.

Dolores Reborn
06-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Pot roast. She made it in a dutch oven, then made gravy from the drippings, served over mashed potatoes. The absolute best. Mine is ok, but doesn't compare.

I miss my mommy, too. She died in 1989.

Dragwyr
06-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Nothing that my mom made really stands out for me, so I will go back to my grandmother.

She made two things that I absolutely loved:

1) Her homemade peanut butter cookies. I was smart enough when I as 21 to spend an evening making these absolutely scrumptious cookes with her... jotting down the recipe as we went along. She has passed away, but every time I have Mrs D. make these cookies I think of gradma.

2) Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My grandma, for some reason, made the absolute best peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. She would add a very thin layer of real butter on the bread first then add the peanut butter and jelly afterwards. To her they were nothing special, but everyone in the family loved those and would ask her to make them all the time.

:( I miss my grandma!

Anaamika
06-28-2005, 11:06 AM
She won't make it anymore -- partly because she's done her back in, and the arthiritis makes it difficult for her to stir the mix for the required length of time. :(
Oh, can't you help her? And send me some!

I think I'm going to go have to learn how to make baingan ka bhartha sometime.

Angua
06-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Oh, can't you help her? And send me some!

If I lived with her, I would. I may have to persuade her to make some next time I visit.

However, my aunt lives in Albany, and makes mohnthar that's very very close to what my mum makes (they both learnt of my grandma)... ;)

romansperson
06-28-2005, 12:37 PM
My mom isn't a very good cook in general, but she made wonderful bread - airy and light and really, really good. Unfortunately she didn't like to make it because of how much time it took, so we only got it about 4 or 5 times while I was growing up, but I still remember how good it was.

clairobscur
06-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I just entionned it in another thread yesterday : a dish that is competely unknown outside the area where I was brought up : it's mainly potatoes,finely grounded (not mashed. think finely cut, the size of uncooked spaghetti), cooked in the shape of a cake, with fatty bacon (the kind of bacon with only fat, no meat in it), and herbs.

Second choice : duck with oranges.

My mther is a great cook anyway, except that she doesn't make any dessert. So pretty much anything she cooks is great.

Campion
06-28-2005, 01:46 PM
My mom's Yorkshire puddings. She makes them in individual dishes, so that they're crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. The ones that I've had in restaurants (where they make it in a big pan) are okay, but it's mostly just gooey. Mom's are awesome. The last time she made them, she gave over to my sister the task of mixing. Sis doesn't have the deft touch mom does, so the puddings weren't quite as light as they ought to be.

And my grandma's M&M cookies. Not because they were so incredible, but because they were hers. She used to put only the seasonally appropriate colors of M&Ms in the cookies, and if she couldn't get a bag with just the right colors, she'd buy the regular bag and pick out the "wrong" colors. She doesn't do them so much anymore, because of the arthritis, but whenever we went to grandma's house, we knew we were going to get M&M cookies.

Indygrrl
06-28-2005, 01:50 PM
My mom makes the best macaroni and cheese. No one else's can ever compare.

rjk
06-28-2005, 02:43 PM
My mother gets two - main dish (sort of) and dessert.

I'd start with "Chicken Haddie," canned haddock (think tuna-size can) in a cheese sauce, served over toast.

Then for dessert I'd have a nice dark home-made Christmas pudding with her secret sauce - make a roux, fill with water, and add brown sugar ("golden sugar" for some of us) until it looks right. You could season with cinnamon if you like, or rum or brandy would be good.

Chanteuse
06-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Stewed okra and tomatoes.

Yes, I'm from the South! :)

sturmhauke
06-28-2005, 04:24 PM
I cooked with my mom a lot, so I learned a lot of her recipes, but there are a few I never mastered. One of the best was her black beans. She only made that one a few times, but man that was some good stuff.

My dad was the grillmaster. I swear you could hand him some random lump of meat and he'd make it taste awesome. My grill fu isn't that strong, but I'm working on it.

biddee
06-29-2005, 02:58 PM
There are a couple for me...

Pork chops and sauerkraut. She would make the sauerkraut mixed with bacon and mashed potatoes. I still make it that way sometimes, but it's never the same as mom's.

Then there is her custard tart and her tipsy tart, both of which I have made to rave reviews but it's still never like hers.

She used to make a Christmas cake in July and keep it in a tin and once a week she would pour a cup of brandy over it. By the time Christmas came around it was this sinfully alcoholic and just delectable cake. I have the recipe, just haven't had the balls to actually try and make it. I might just do it this year.

When she died in 2003, the one thing I did take from the house was her favourite cookbook. It's from the 50's has a homemade cover and about a million handwritten recipes in it from both her and my dad. A lot of the food is stuff I grew up with them making so it's a very important piece of family history for me. Whenever I go looking for a recipe in there I get really nostalgic and miss them both terribly.

I miss my mommy and daddy :(

alice_in_wonderland
06-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Fruit Salad on Cottage Cheese.

My mom makes the best fruit salad ever. And I'm going for a visit in just over 2 weeks. And it's gonna be hot. Fruit Salad and Cottage Cheese for me! wOOt!

anu-la1979
06-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Depends but these days I beg my mother to make the food I used to try to skive off eating as a kid-traditional Marathi/Goan fish dishes.

Rice with daal and cuddi which is this pink sour tartish elixir made by soaking the dried skins of some tropical fruit in water with coriander and some chilis (you pour it on top of your rice with daal like lemon when the 'rents are too lazy to make cuddi)

with baigan barth (baked eggplant mashed up with chopped onions, yoghurt, chilis and coriander)

Malabar spinach bhaji with clams

Pan fried bitter gourd and plantains and

Pan fried Goan style shrimp or some exotic fish like pomphret

This is the inevitable "you're home!" dinner my mom makes when my sister and I come home from school.

Close runner up is idle-sambaar-dosa...my mom makes amazing idlis and dosas.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.