PDA

View Full Version : Empire on ABC

Kaspar Hauser
06-28-2005, 11:11 AM
http://channels.netscape.ca/entertainment/article.adp?id=20050623101109990009

Haven't heard much about this, but I'm intrigued. First two hours are tonight. Has it been overshadowed by HBO's Rome? I never watch ABC, so maybe I just missed all the hype. On the other hand, I haven't seen any billboards or anything.

Anyone hear anything about it?

AuntiePam
06-28-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm gonna watch, because lately I've been happy with ABC. I feel like I owe them something for Lost and Desperate Housewives.

I haven't heard anything about it, one way or the other.

I looked at the listing at IMDB. The only familiar name is Colm Feore, from Storm of the Century. Kim Manners is a director, and there were a bunch of X-Files episodes in her credits. (I'm assuming Kim is a she, but I could be wrong.)

I'm tickled about seeing some new faces.

PoorYorick
06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
I tried to watch it first time around; I really tried. I mean, look at the cast if nothing else. I have to admit, though, that I gave up on it after about 45 minutes. It wasn't bad so much as feeling mechanical in it's structure. First 30 minutes: Exposition. Next 15 minutes: Setup, and so on.

Again, it wasn't bad. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a leisurely drama with no car chases :)

AuntiePam
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
How did you get to see it already? Or do you mean Empire Falls, the HBO movie?

Kaspar Hauser
06-28-2005, 03:45 PM
First time around? I was under the impression this was brand new.

AuntiePam
06-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Empire Falls, especially since he said "look at the cast" -- Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Helen Hunt, Ed Harris.

DMark
06-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Empire (the Roman epic on ABC starting tonight) has actually received some pretty good reviews. Hollywood Reporter and even the New York Times give the series a decent review. Try Google and go to News and down to entertainment section to see all the recent reviews.

Looks like the mini-series might be worth watching.

PoorYorick
06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Man, my apologies. Yes it was Empire Falls. That'll teach me to try to post on the sly at work.

Can't wait to see Empire. If anybody can do it right, it'll be HBO.

DMark
06-28-2005, 04:23 PM
sigh...Poor Yorik.

Baker
06-28-2005, 04:26 PM
I read that it was actually filmed on location in Italy, not on a sound stage somewhere. That had to be expensive!

pinkfreud
06-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't expect anything of the quality of I, Claudius, but I'll certainly give this a try. Colm Feore is one of my favorite actors, and I think he should make a marvelous Julius Caesar.

AuntiePam
06-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Man, my apologies. Yes it was Empire Falls. That'll teach me to try to post on the sly at work.

Can't wait to see Empire. If anybody can do it right, it'll be HBO.

ABC's doing Empire. HBO's doing Rome -- it's coming this fall sometime. :)

PoorYorick
06-28-2005, 08:20 PM
No, I wasn't drunk when I posted, but wish I had been, just for the excuse. I swear, I can usually hold my head up and be fairly aware of my surroundings. That's what I get for skimming the board at work.

:wally <-- me

ivylass
06-28-2005, 08:25 PM
I've been hot for Ancient Rome ever since reading Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series. Lady did 12 years of research before she put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard, as the case may be.)

So I will be staying up past my bedtime to watch.

ISiddiqui
06-28-2005, 09:04 PM
It's on in the Eastern timezone... the visuals are amazing (especially on HD). Filming in Italy really paid off so far.

Though the one thing that made me cringe was the whole Caesar wants to take power 'from the influential few and give it to the people' crap. I mean why is it in every modern Roman tale, the protagonist wants to give power to the people. I doubt anyone close to power really thought much of the people. I'm sure the Senate didn't turn on Caesar because he was trying to give power to the people. Ugh.. hopefully they don't play that up.

Evil Captor
06-28-2005, 09:23 PM
It's on in the Eastern timezone... the visuals are amazing (especially on HD). Filming in Italy really paid off so far.

Re: spoiler

Boy are you outta luck.

I'm watchng to see if they have any hot slavegirl action mixed in with all the epic stuff. SOMEBODY has to do it 0:)

ISiddiqui
06-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Re: spoiler

Boy are you outta luck.

Yeah, I noticed :(. That sucked. Hopefully HBO's "Rome" doesn't feel it has to do things like that.

ISiddiqui
06-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Oh, and

Uber-gladiator is getting annoying. It's like Jack Bauer in Roman slave garb! Have him take on the barbarians... Rome never had to fall!!

Captain Amazing
06-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Though the one thing that made me cringe was the whole Caesar wants to take power 'from the influential few and give it to the people' crap. I mean why is it in every modern Roman tale, the protagonist wants to give power to the people. I doubt anyone close to power really thought much of the people. I'm sure the Senate didn't turn on Caesar because he was trying to give power to the people. Ugh.. hopefully they don't play that up.

Well, he did want that. It's just that the people he wanted to give the power to were all named "Caesar"

AuntiePam
06-28-2005, 09:57 PM
I switched channels at the first commercial break. I think HBO and PBS have spoiled me for drama.

It's the commercials. I don't mind them during sitcoms or reality shows, but an epic, original, historical drama shouldn't be interrupted every 10 or 15 minutes. Takes me right out of the story.

ISiddiqui
06-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Well, he did want that. It's just that the people he wanted to give the power to were all named "Caesar"

LOLOL!! Well played :D.

Dr. Rieux
06-28-2005, 10:40 PM
I've been a Rome nut since I read I, Claudius 25 years ago. I'll watch just about anything Roman (especially if it's not Xtian propoganda, like Ben-Hur).
It's about to start! Ave atque vale!

Kaspar Hauser
06-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Well, I wasn't too disappointed. Lots of problems, of course. Atia obviously was not Caesar's sister, and I can't see Octavian -- a boy who forced the Senate to name him consul at the age of eighteen, and who pretty much ruled the world by the time he was thirty -- as an angst-ridden, hesitant pretty boy. Shades of Anakin Skywalker. And there were too many references to "my lord" and "Emperor," which would have been anathema to Rome's anti-royalty sentiments. Much of the dialogue was Hollywood blockbuster-level corny. And Cassius might as well have been twirling a black, curly moustache.

But I did like how they handled Mark Antony -- devoted to his friend and leader Caesar, until he finds out that he's not his heir.

I'll stick around. It's head and shoulders above TNT's crappy Caesar miniseries from a few years ago.

Kaspar Hauser
06-28-2005, 11:44 PM
I think my biggest problem is that no matter what the medium, Brian Blessed will always be Augustus to me.

Shirley Ujest
06-29-2005, 09:59 AM
I posted this elsewhere...

I am a sucker for things that are Roman.

I watched the first installment of this last night and boy, is it ever easy to tell the difference between a big budget movie with great acting and B actors.

Some stole their scenes (Cassius & cicero, respectively. And whomever the Young Vestal Virgin Chick is.) some just phoned in their parts. The guy who plays Marc Anthony I like, he actually looks like he could kick ass.

The scene where Tyrannus is in bed with his wife it is night...then...suddenly...he's off walking with Cesaer in a feild of wheat...and it's daylight....ummmmmm...huh?

The opening sword fight seen with Tyrannus and the clumsy attackers was comical in its staged slowness. Yet, the guy who plays him is winning me over as a Russell Crowe Want to Be..without the intensity. Besides the perpetual two day growth of beard on his chin, he is growing on me and I can't say why.

But, is that Trudy Styler as Cesear's former lover? Gah.....she looked awful...Mr. Ujest and I both went "AHHH!" She looked like a Transvestite and not a very good looking one at that. Her looks just threw the entire scene. If she actually acted good in them I cannot tell.

It is definately a summer filler mini-series. The commercials....I'd forgotten all about the Free TV commericals.....mini series interruptus....

When is the HBO series to start?

AuntiePam
06-29-2005, 10:09 AM
When is the HBO series to start?

No date yet on the HBO site -- Coming this Fall is all they're giving us.

AuntiePam
06-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Since I watched only 15 minutes, I shouldn't even be saying this, because maybe it got better.

One of the reasons Deadwood and The Sopranos holds my attention is because the writers don't explain every damn thing. It'll take two or three episodes for a plot to unravel, and then you want to go back to the start and watch it again.

The dialogue in those shows is more complex too. It isn't expository (if that's the right word). We understand the words, but it takes awhile before we get the sense of them.

The impression I got from the first 15 minutes of Empire was that the story was going to proceed from Point A to Point B, and there wouldn't be anything much to think about. Basically, it's "Here's what happened", sort of a Classics Illustrated version.

Shirley Ujest
06-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Since I watched only 15 minutes, I shouldn't even be saying this, because maybe it got better.

The first one or two segments before the commerical break were very choppy and nearly condescending in their way of explaining or introducing the characters. It was just shy of the characters having name tags on them...

After Cesaer was killed, it picked up, but was still choppy.

AuntiePam
06-29-2005, 11:11 AM
They killed him already? Dang.

Shirley Ujest
06-29-2005, 11:13 AM
They killed him already? Dang.

Yeah, the story is primarily after he dies, that's why it is so hurried in the beginning.

Sorry to spoil it for you.

chaoticbear
06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Caesar dies???

Thanks for ruining it for me. :mad:

Evil Captor
06-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Caesar dies???

Thanks for ruining it for me. :mad:

Wait'll you find out what happens to the Republic! (Do the name Darth Octavian mean anything to ya?)

Ponder Stibbons
06-29-2005, 02:14 PM
... Darth Octavian mean anything to ya?
Yea, and he was smart enough not to have twins named Lucas and ... uh ... Lei-us.

ISiddiqui
06-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Well I guess since it wouldn't be a spoiler anymore.... I thought they could have done better than having a Roman Jack Bauer who basically is there to "make" Octavius. That was kind of lame.

AuntiePam
06-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah, the story is primarily after he dies, that's why it is so hurried in the beginning.

Sorry to spoil it for you.

It's not spoiled for me. I know Caesar dies, I just thought that since Colm Feore had top billing, he'd be around awhile longer. No problem-o! :)

Shirley Ujest
06-29-2005, 03:27 PM
It's not spoiled for me. I know Caesar dies, I just thought that since Colm Feore had top billing, he'd be around awhile longer. No problem-o! :)

I thought Caesar would last longer than he did, too. And Trudie Styler is still freaking me out.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.