PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing TV stars

Lamar Mundane
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Inspired by this (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=323212) thread, I got to thinking about the show Real People.

It was a very popular show for more than a few years, maybe even top ten, yet none of the "stars" ever did anything memorable again. There was Byron, the whitest black guy in history, Skip, the whitest white guy in history, and Sarah (?), who was the chick. All of them disappeared as soon as the show did.

What other shows and stars were there that followed the same path? They had to be very highly rated and none of the stars did anything remotely popular again.

I thought of the Brady Bunch, but the remembered the parents. I don't think any of the kids had a career in TV after the show ended.

RealityChuck
06-28-2005, 07:33 PM
That's typical of child stars. Look at Jerry Mathers . . . oh, right, he died in Vietnam from eating pop rocks. ;)

Considering how acclaimed the series was, the cast of Hill Street Blues were particularly unsucessful. Many did have careers, but no one really broke out to stardom other than Dennis Franz, and that was many years later.

Robot Arm
06-28-2005, 07:43 PM
...and Sarah (?), who was the chick. All of them disappeared as soon as the show did.Not entirely true.

Byron Allen has a sort of celebrity interview show that seem to pop up totally randomly. Peter Billinsley went on to A Christmas Story (among other things). Fred Willard still does movie roles, most notably in Christopher Guest's mockumentaries. And Mark Russell did monthly musical satire revues on PBS for years.

And I would swear I remember Sarah Purcell from something else, but according to the IMDb, it was before Real People.

Torgo
06-28-2005, 07:46 PM
The Cosby Show, arguably the most successful television show of the 1980s, has yielded few to no returns for its' young cast. Malcolm Jamaal Warner has had some parts and Lisa Bonet had a couple of movie roles and her own short-lived spinoff (which she left after 1 season), but the rest of the Cosby kids have vanished from the face of the earth.

HelloKitty
06-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Sarah Purcell used to be in some syndicated morning talk show...I watched it daily in the early 90's but darned if I can remember the name of it. I think Gary Collins was also on it...maybe The Home Show or something like that??

I always liked how she ended the show by saying "Make it a good day"

Otto
06-28-2005, 07:47 PM
It was a very popular show for more than a few years, maybe even top ten, yet none of the "stars" ever did anything memorable again. There was Byron, the whitest black guy in history, Skip, the whitest white guy in history, and Sarah (?), who was the chick. All of them disappeared as soon as the show did.
Byron Allen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0020334/)'s worked pretty steadily since his Real People days. As has Fred Willard (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0929609/). And of course Peter Billingsley has one very memorable credit (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/combined) and is also apparently a pretty active producer.

The cast of Gilligan's Island has to rank pretty high on the list of TV shows whose casts went on to do nothing. I can't think of anything any of them did after G.I. that wasn't G.I.-related. At least a couple of the Brady kids made some non-Brady TV movies.

Otto
06-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Damn you Robot Arm. Damn you to Hell.

At least I linked, you bastard.

Lamar Mundane
06-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Byron Allen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0020334/)'s worked pretty steadily since his Real People days. As has Fred Willard (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0929609/). And of course Peter Billingsley has one very memorable credit (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/combined) and is also apparently a pretty active producer.

The cast of Gilligan's Island has to rank pretty high on the list of TV shows whose casts went on to do nothing. I can't think of anything any of them did after G.I. that wasn't G.I.-related. At least a couple of the Brady kids made some non-Brady TV movies.
I didn't even know Fred Willard was on the show. I only remember the three hosts I mentioned.

I know that everyone has had some sort of a career after the show, but what I find surprising is they left a top-ranked show and never had any major success after that. Most stars these days will spin off into another show or make films or something, but rarely do they disappear. Other top shows from that era like MASH or Three's Company or Taxi or The Jeffersons all had stars that went on to more great things.

Sampiro
06-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Growing Pains

Lou Grant (one exception: Nancy Marchand had a late-in-life comeback as the ultimate Mommy Dearest on The Sopranos, though Ed Asner must have a record for most flopped series since this one was cancelled,)

Northern Exposure (I don't count Anthony Edwards since he was only a recurring character)

Family Matters

Murphy Brown

Mr. Belvedere

Gimme a Break

Perfect Strangers

Quincy

Gilligan's Island

Gunsmoke

The Love Boat

All of the above lasted several seasons, and all had actors who went on to do other things, but the other things (save for Nancy Marchand as Livia) were in lesser vehicles that never approached the popularity of the series listed.

Moirai
06-28-2005, 08:07 PM
The Cosby Show, arguably the most successful television show of the 1980s, has yielded few to no returns for its' young cast. Malcolm Jamaal Warner has had some parts and Lisa Bonet had a couple of movie roles and her own short-lived spinoff (which she left after 1 season), but the rest of the Cosby kids have vanished from the face of the earth.

Heh. Only if you don't have kids!

MJW is one of the voices of The Magic School Bus (he plays the producer) and Raven-Symone has her own show on Disney.

Granted, it ain't exactly Masterpiece Theater, but they're working!

Otto
06-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Most stars these days will spin off into another show or make films or something, but rarely do they disappear.
Well, see, I disagree with this. My feeling is that more series stars disappear than go on to additional projects. Of course I don't have a lot to back this up with since I pretty much don't watch a great deal of episodic television any more. Of what I do watch, my feeling is that few if any of the stars will go on to much else. I don't see anyone from Queer as Folk, for example, going on to additional projects very quickly, with the possible exceptions of Hal Sparks (because he'll swipe something else from the British and produce/star in it) and Peter Paige.
Lamar Mundane]Other top shows from that era like MASH or Three's Company or Taxi or The Jeffersons all had stars that went on to more great things. Who from M*A*S*H went on to great things? Alan Alda has continued a movie career and Mike Farrell showed up on Providence some 15 years after the end of M*A*S*H but I can't think of anything besides the wretched spin-off where I've seen anyone else on a regular basis. All but two of the Three's Company cast vanished without trace. Same goes for The Jeffersons. From Taxi, about half the cast has faded from view.

Oh let's see, who else? Diff'rent Strokes, no survivors. The Facts of Life, no survivors (with the possible exception of Nancy McKeon, and excluding recurring George Clooney). LA Law, no survivors except Alan Rachins and Harry Hamlin (excluding the guy who plays Kragen on SVU since he was a recurring character). Family Ties, no survivors except Michael J. Fox. That's Incredible, no survivors. Welcome Back Kotter, no survivors except John Travolta.

Torgo
06-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Heh. Only if you don't have kids!

MJW is one of the voices of The Magic School Bus (he plays the producer) and Raven-Symone has her own show on Disney.

Granted, it ain't exactly Masterpiece Theater, but they're working!

I stand corrected EJ...and as the father of a 3-year-old no less! He watches The Magic School Bus every now and again; I had no idea MJM was involved. I forgot about Raven...never seen the show but see the promos now and again.

Mr. Blue Sky
06-28-2005, 08:41 PM
... Skip, the whitest white guy in history...

Skip Stephenson died (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0827323/) in 1992.

Morbo
06-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I've gotta agree with Otto. I can think of only a handful of actors that went on to do anything from most of the shows I used to watch. You could make a case that a few went on to careers as TV episode directors (Charles Haid, Tim Reid, Ted Wass) but the majority certainly never appeared in front of the camera with anything approaching regularity. Other than the ones mentioned:

WKRP in Cincinnati
Loni Anderson - a few forgettable roles, some extra spotlight due to relationship with Burt Reynolds
Howard Hessman - some other show as a teacher whose name I forget, then nothing
Gordon Jump - Maytag repairman
Herb, Les, Andy, Bailey, Venus: zilch (unless you count a few reprising their roles on the short-lived "New WKRP")

Soap
Billy Crystal
(a little more celebrity) Richard Mulligan, Katherine Hellman, Robert Guillaume.
Everyone else - total obscurity. Granted there are more "names" from this one, but the actual cast was enormous. Counting the character names I can still remember, I'm up to 10 on IMDb jsut going down the list.

Barney Miller
Hal Linden - a few decent roles in other TV series.
Abe Vigoda - his own spin-off that lasted one season, then some fame, probably due more to being Tessio than anything else. (Beastie Boys lyrics excluded)
Wojo, Harris, Deitrich, Luger, everyone else: zilch.

Night Court
Nobody of note has done anything. Dave Anderson had some flop as Dave Berry, Markie Post had a small role in There's Something About Mary, but everyone else - obscurity.

90210, Melrose Place
Luke Perry - some cowboy movie, small role in Fifth Element
Shannon Doherty - Charmed, tabloids
Tori Spelling - tabloids
Everyone else - occasional story mostly focusing on how ridiculous they were then / "where are they now" type stuff.

Otto
06-28-2005, 09:28 PM
(a little more celebrity) Richard Mulligan, Katherine Hellman, Robert Guillaume. Robert Guillaume starred in the Soap spin-off Benson and later in IIRC News Night. The other Catherine (Jessica) was on Who's the Boss? with Tony Danza (and from there Alyssa Milano has gone on to Charmed).

Night Court Nobody of note has done anything.
John LaRoquette had a series that lasted a couple of seasons, in which he played someone who worked in a bus depot.

90210, Melrose Place
Luke Perry - some cowboy movie, small role in Fifth Element
Shannon Doherty - Charmed, tabloids
Tori Spelling - tabloids
Everyone else - occasional story mostly focusing on how ridiculous they were then / "where are they now" type stuff.
Jason Priestly has had a number of lead roles in smaller indie films, and Tori Spelling's done several key supporting roles. Brian Austin Green had a recurring role on an HBO series. Tiffany Thiesen had that cop series with Peter Facinelli on Fox. Gabrielle Cartaris had a talk show.

Melrose has had a bit of a mini-boom in career revivals lately. Marcia Cross and Doug Savant are on Desperate Housewives and Daphne Zuniga has a series this fall. Before that Heather Locklear was on Spin City and was/is on LAX (not sure if that's still on the air). The chick who played Sydney was on the great ABC show Eyes which was apparently cancelled after about four episodes, thanks a lot ABC.

Morbo
06-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Robert Guillaume starred in the Soap spin-off Benson and later in IIRC News Night. The other Catherine (Jessica) was on Who's the Boss? with Tony Danza (and from there Alyssa Milano has gone on to Charmed).

Aye, that's why I said "a little more celebrity" - they've had a little more, but not at the level of Billy Crystal. In fact, all of your examples are still what I'd consider "the majority certainly never appeared in front of the camera with anything approaching regularity." (Wasn't I agreeing with you? ;))

I think a more difficult thread would be "what TV stars went on to have huge careers in Movies" - Billy Crystal, Tom Hanks, John Travolta, etc.

Come to think of it, I think I once started a CS thread about that very thing. Hold on a sec....

....damn, that took some work. Biggest movie star to come from a sitcom? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=88530).

Ike Witt
06-28-2005, 10:08 PM
The Love Boat
No, no. The Love Boat is where all the forgotten stars of these shows went to.

Otto
06-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Aye, that's why I said "a little more celebrity" - they've had a little more, but not at the level of Billy Crystal. In fact, all of your examples are still what I'd consider "the majority certainly never appeared in front of the camera with anything approaching regularity."
I guess I'm not understanding your criteria then. Katherine Hellmond (which is who you and I both meant) was on Soap until 1981. She started Who's the Boss? in 1982 and was on until it ended in 1992. So for 14 years she was on TV pretty much every week of the regular season, in addition to doing close to two dozen other roles on TV and in movies (including Time Bandits and Brazil). After WTB she has about a dozen more credits including a recurring role on Coach for three seasons. There are probably tens of thousands of actors who would be deleriously happy with that sort of "little more celebrity."

silenus
06-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Barney Miller
Hal Linden - a few decent roles in other TV series.
Abe Vigoda - his own spin-off that lasted one season, then some fame, probably due more to being Tessio than anything else. (Beastie Boys lyrics excluded)
Wojo, Harris, Deitrich, Luger, everyone else: zilch.

Ron Glass is Book on Firefly, and the upcoming Serenity. That is all he needs ever do. :D

jayjay
06-28-2005, 11:26 PM
I guess I'm not understanding your criteria then. Katherine Hellmond (which is who you and I both meant) was on Soap until 1981. She started Who's the Boss? in 1982 and was on until it ended in 1992. So for 14 years she was on TV pretty much every week of the regular season, in addition to doing close to two dozen other roles on TV and in movies (including Time Bandits and Brazil). After WTB she has about a dozen more credits including a recurring role on Coach for three seasons. There are probably tens of thousands of actors who would be deleriously happy with that sort of "little more celebrity."

Not to mention a recurring role on Everybody Loves Raymond for quite a few years as Deborah's mother.

And Harry Anderson's show Dave's World lasted four years, so it wasn't that big a flop, apparently.

Also, there was at least one survivor of Diff'rent Strokes: Dixie Carter, who resurfaced with a smash hit in the 90s.

Sampiro
06-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Also, there was at least one survivor of Diff'rent Strokes: Dixie Carter, who resurfaced with a smash hit in the 90s.

And she married Mark Twain. However, she was replaced on the show with Mary Ann Mobley after half a season (possibly due to death threats from the kids in the cast).

Little Nemo
06-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Lou Grant (one exception: Nancy Marchand had a late-in-life comeback as the ultimate Mommy Dearest on The Sopranos, though Ed Asner must have a record for most flopped series since this one was cancelled,)
The second tier of actors on this series all went on to lead roles in other series. Robert Walden was on Brothers which lasted for five seasons; Linda Kelsey starred in Day by Day which was on for two seasons, and Jack Bannon starred in the short-lived Trauma Center for a season.

Rushgeekgirl
06-29-2005, 12:34 AM

Oh man, I just came to post that we're related. I had no idea! :eek:

choie
06-29-2005, 02:32 AM
LA Law, no survivors except Alan Rachins and Harry Hamlin (excluding the guy who plays Kragen on SVU since he was a recurring character).

Dann Florek, you mean. He was fairly regular for awhile in one of the later seasons, especially since he was the firm's receiver for many episodes.

But anyway, you've forgotten a certain guy named Jimmy Smits (Victor Sifuentes), who went on to huge success in NYPD Blue and is now running for president on The West Wing! And speaking of TWW, Jimmy's running mate is current chief of staff Leo McGarry, played since the series premiered by fellow LA Law grad John Spencer (Tommy Mullaney). Spencer won an Emmy a couple of years ago for his amazing portrayal of Leo.

Yummy Blair Underwood (Jonathan) has been in a lot of movies (the big screen kind) and had lead roles in a couple of TV flops, most recently LAX with Heather Locklear. He also memorably played Miranda's neighbor/lover on Sex and the City. And he does the voice of the father on Fatherhood, the animated sitcom by Bill Cosby on Nick @ Nite.

I know Michele Greene (Abby) and Jill Eikenberry (Ann Kelsey) have starred in like a kabillion TV movies. (I seem to recall Eikenberry is a breast cancer survivor and has spent a lot of time as an advocate for research.) Corbin Bernsen (Arnie) ain't too shabby in the TV movie field either, but lately has been a regular on two soaps -- first Young & the Restless (performing with his mom, uberdiva Jeanne Cooper), and now on General Hospital. mmm, who am I forgetting? Oh whatsername, Susan something who played Roxanne -- she had a semi-regular role as Brian Dennehy's wife in a string of mystery TV movies.

Finally there are a couple of those final season latecomers -- Debi Mazar, whose character name I don't remember, is on HBO series Entourage; Alan Rosenberg (Eli) had a semi-regular role on Cybill for a few years; and Michael Cumpsty -- whose character basically replaced Arnie as the firm's resident bastard -- has moved to theater, starring in many Broadway plays and musicals. I saw him in 1776 as Dickenson -- did a great job!

(Dayum I know waaaay too much about these people. What can I say, LA Law was one of my favorite TV series ever.)

Ooh ... don't mean to pick on you, Otto, but:

Robert Guillaume starred in the Soap spin-off Benson and later in IIRC News Night.

Blasphemer! It's Sports Night, dammit! :) Guillaume's also done many voiceovers in animated films, most notably in The Lion King and its myriad sequels.

D-bear
06-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Murphy Brown

Faith Ford was in that awful show with Norm MacDonald... and Hope and Faith, an equally awful show with Kelly Rippa.

Mockingbird
06-29-2005, 06:25 AM
And I would swear I remember Sarah Purcell from something else, but according to the IMDb, it was before Real People.

She was in the Wonder Woman episode Amazon Hot Wax which also featured Rick Springfield and Judge Reinhold.

Mockingbird
06-29-2005, 06:55 AM
WKRP in Cincinnati
Loni Anderson - a few forgettable roles, some extra spotlight due to relationship with Burt Reynolds
Howard Hessman - some other show as a teacher whose name I forget, then nothing
Gordon Jump - Maytag repairman
Herb, Les, Andy, Bailey, Venus: zilch (unless you count a few reprising their roles on the short-lived "New WKRP")

Hmmmn.

I guess Tim Reid's show {url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108927/]Sister, Sister[/URL] which ran for five years meant nothing.

And his highly acclaimed show Frank's Place (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092354/) only ran a year.

Howard Hesseman's show Head of the Class (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090444/) he was only on for four years.

The only member of the cast who hasn't worked regularly in movies or TV is Jan mithers(Bailey Quarters). Do you ever do research or do you just blow smoke and wait for someone to call you on it?

Night Court
Nobody of note has done anything. Dave Anderson had some flop as Dave Berry, Markie Post had a small role in There's Something About Mary, but everyone else - obscurity.

Wow. I had no idea a afour year show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105982/) was a flop. Who knew?

Diceman
06-29-2005, 07:32 AM
Wow. I had no idea a afour year show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105982/) was a flop. Who knew?
Well, it certainly didn't compair to Harry Anderson's popularity on Night Court.

The John Laroquette Show wasn't very good, either. IMHO, they made a mistake by dropping the main character's alcoholism. After that, it was just another forgettable sitcom.

Mockingbird
06-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Well, it certainly didn't compair to Harry Anderson's popularity on Night Court.

The John Laroquette Show wasn't very good, either. IMHO, they made a mistake by dropping the main character's alcoholism. After that, it was just another forgettable sitcom.

So? The quality isn't relevant in this thread.

Laroquette also had a show two seasons ago called Happy Family with Christine Baranski.

Sean Factotum
06-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Blasphemer! It's Sports Night, dammit! :) Guillaume's also done many voiceovers in animated films, most notably in The Lion King and its myriad sequels.
(Bolding mine.) Which adds a new, previously unknown to me level to the conversation between him and Felicity Huffmann when she went to see that play. Thanks for the info!

Stuffy
06-29-2005, 12:12 PM
[
Murphy Brown

All of the above lasted several seasons, and all had actors who went on to do other things, but the other things (save for Nancy Marchand as Livia) were in lesser vehicles that never approached the popularity of the series listed.

Robert Pastorelli has done a kajillion movies since then.

The Punkyova
06-29-2005, 12:16 PM

And yet that same IMDB page lists his last credit as "Score with Chicks" in 1994. I have images of a skelaton in bad polyester stumbling around after scantily clad bimbos, jabbering inane, flat one-liners. The buck-toothed smile is still the same. :eek:

I need to go scrub my brain.

plnnr
06-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Hmmmn.

I guess Tim Reid's show {url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108927/]Sister, Sister[/URL] which ran for five years meant nothing.

And his highly acclaimed show Frank's Place (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092354/) only ran a year.

Tim Reid and his wife, Daphne Maxwell Reid, also own New Millineium Studios in Petersburg, VA.

yosemite
06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Just adding a few tidbits about various actors, in no particular order:

Robert Pastorelli had a pretty good career after "Murphy Brown," but he died (I think from an overdose) a few years ago.

Robert Guillaume had a pretty good role in the recent Ewan McGregor/Albert Finney/Tim Burton movie "Big Fish." (It wasn't a huge role for Guillaume, but notable—you can't miss him.)

I've seen Markie Post guest star on other things, and she had a role in a sitcom with John Ritter and Billy Bob Thornton in the 90s ("Hearts Afire"), which I believe is coming out on DVD soon.

John Laroquette is now working on some detective show (I think it's a detective show) for the Hallmark Channel.

Jimmy Smits has been in two of the most recent Star Wars movies. (He looks fabulous in this most recent one.)

Max Gail (from "Barney Miller") has guest starred on other things. I remember seeing him in an episode of "Due South."

tremorviolet
06-29-2005, 01:22 PM

And during the filming of SportsNight, he suffered a stroke which was actually written into the show (pretty cool). So that may be another reason he's no longer as active as he once was.

Otto
06-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Max Gail (from "Barney Miller") has guest starred on other things. I remember seeing him in an episode of "Due South."
Not to menion his star turn in D.C. Cab.

And to correct an earlier post of mine, Who's the Boss? debuted in 1984, not 1982, so there were a couple of Hellmondless seasons.

Morbo
06-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Do you ever do research or do you just blow smoke and wait for someone to call you on it?

The hell? Oh, you got me, killer.

Let it be known throughout the land from this point forward that Katherine Hellmond, Tim Reid, John Laroquette, Harry Anderson, Howard Hessman and every other cast member of every show I listed in my original post to this thread have had the careers beyond their wildest dreams, and I am eternally shamed for besmirching their good names. They truly are the stuff of Hollywood legend. I am unworthy! Boooo!!!! Boooo!!!! :rolleyes:

Sampiro
06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Max Gail largely quit acting when his wife died from cancer, leaving him the single dad of a small child. He has since remarried and has become more active. (Trivia: at the height of his career he lived in a geodesic dome he built from a kit. He bought some property in Malibu with his first "big-money" pay, then built the dome on it, then slowly built a house as he could afford it (he has a background in construction). The home was featured on one of the cable channels recently and it's beautiful (and the dome is now an office on the property).

Push You Down
06-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Markie Post also starred in a failed pilot for a remake of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl which was MESSED UP! It was closer to The Shield than to anything Sid and Marty had imagined.

I think you were right to be called on it Dooku... Just saying.

jayjay
06-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Markie Post also starred in a failed pilot for a remake of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl which was MESSED UP! It was closer to The Shield than to anything Sid and Marty had imagined.

Heh! I can just see it. "Now THAT'S what I call an electra-shakedown!"

Mockingbird
06-29-2005, 06:26 PM

I think you were right to be called on it Dooku... Just saying.

I have a copy olf that pilot.

It's hysterical!

Mockingbird
06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
The hell? Oh, you got me, killer.

Let it be known throughout the land from this point forward that Katherine Hellmond, Tim Reid, John Laroquette, Harry Anderson, Howard Hessman and every other cast member of every show I listed in my original post to this thread have had the careers beyond their wildest dreams, and I am eternally shamed for besmirching their good names. They truly are the stuff of Hollywood legend. I am unworthy! Boooo!!!! Boooo!!!! :rolleyes:

So, you don't do your homework, shoot your mouth off, and behave poorly when called on it.

C K Dexter Haven
06-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Mockingbird, your comments are uncalled for. In this forum, you may say what you want about the work of art/entertainment, but you may NOT say nasty things about other posters. "Not doing homework" is not, so far as I am aware, a cardinal sin. Nor is being factually in error.

If you have some vendetta against Dooku, take it to the Pit. If you're going to post here, then we maintain an air of politeness and civility. And you've been around long enough to know it.

Garfield226
06-29-2005, 07:58 PM
And actually, for a show that only ran two seasons, the actors have been pretty prolific since. Peter Krause has "Six Feet Under," Felicity Huffman had "Desperate Housewives," Joshua Malina went on to the "West Wing," Sabrina Lloyd was in "Numb3rs," and Guilliaume had Big Fish, as well as several voice jobs (including Half-Life 2). That's all the main characters except Dan (Josh Charles), who hasn't done a lot since.

rexnervous
06-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Quincy

That's probably not fair to Jack Klugman, who played Oscar in The Odd Couple, probably far more famous than Quincy ever was.

Mockingbird
06-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Mockingbird, your comments are uncalled for. In this forum, you may say what you want about the work of art/entertainment, but you may NOT say nasty things about other posters. "Not doing homework" is not, so far as I am aware, a cardinal sin. Nor is being factually in error.

If you have some vendetta against Dooku, take it to the Pit. If you're going to post here, then we maintain an air of politeness and civility. And you've been around long enough to know it.

This was far from nasty and not the only thread in this forum he's made claims as if they were facts.

If his responses are acceptable in their presentation, I can hardly see why you take mine as you are choosing to.

Sampiro
06-30-2005, 12:29 AM
That's probably not fair to Jack Klugman, who played Oscar in The Odd Couple, probably far more famous than Quincy ever was.

Yeah, well I don't care about being fair to Jack Klugman! JACK KLUGMAN KILLED MY DADDY! (Well, Jack Klugman and heart disease.)

Quincy actually ran longer, but you're right- he's more Oscar than Quincy. (Did you ever learn Quincy's first name on the show?) For that matter, Diagnosis Murder ran much longer than The Dick Van Dyke show but was forgotten long before it was cancelled.

Did anybody from Webster do anything again? I don't remember seeing Alex Karras or Susan Clark on anything, and Emmanuel Lewis only makes the rounds of reality shows. (Cathryn Damon died either during the run or soon after and Henry Polic II is a professor at FSU now.)

jayjay
06-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Did anybody from Webster do anything again? I don't remember seeing Alex Karras or Susan Clark on anything, and Emmanuel Lewis only makes the rounds of reality shows. (Cathryn Damon died either during the run or soon after and Henry Polic II is a professor at FSU now.)

Ben Vereen, who played Webster's uncle, had a run as the mayor on the children's show Zoobilee Zoo, as well as playing the chief in Silk Stalkings for two seasons.

Corin Nemec went on to three seasons of the Ferris Bueller knockoff Parker Lewis Can't Lose.

Chad Allen was in Webster, before he became a teen idol in Our House and then a heartthrob for both ladies AND gentlemen-of-a-certain-persuasion in Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

Annie-Xmas
06-30-2005, 08:48 AM
The Facts of Life, no survivors (with the possible exception of Nancy McKeon, and excluding recurring George Clooney). Welcome Back Kotter, no survivors except John Travolta. The Facts of Life had a very young McKenzie Astin; Welcome Back Kotter had Lawrence Hilton Jacobs, who was in Alien Nation.

FriarTed
06-30-2005, 10:31 AM
The middle sister Vanessa on The Cosby Show (Tempestt Bledsoe) had a talk show which only lasted a season.

Little sister Rudy seems to have taken a decade off (no IMDB listings for the 1990s) & has been doing some movies over the past five years.

There are people I wonder "whatever happened to", only to find out they have thriving careers on shows I've never seen or on stage.

Northern Exposure-

Janine Turner was a doctor in the first season of a Lifetime medical show, does some commercial work, is a single mother, has a no-kill cattle ranch, and is a conservative Republican Christian (marry me, Janine! Btw- she'd also be killer as Dagny Taggart in an ATLAS SHRUGGED movie)

John Corbett- MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, SEX & THE CITY, RAISING HELEN

06-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Robert Pastorelli had a pretty good career after "Murphy Brown," but he died (I think from an overdose) a few years ago.

So that was his digital double in the recent Elmore Leonard movie, Be Cool?

Sam Lowry
06-30-2005, 11:33 AM
So that was his digital double in the recent Elmore Leonard movie, Be Cool?

Well, he did die (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0665123/) over a year ago from a heroin overdose, so yosemite was correct on both his death and mode of dying.

Sean Factotum
06-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Just adding a few tidbits about various actors, in no particular order:John Laroquette is now working on some detective show (I think it's a detective show) for the Hallmark Channel.

And he won an Emmy for his guest roll on The Practice a few seasons back.

Morbo
06-30-2005, 02:21 PM
This was far from nasty and not the only thread in this forum he's made claims as if they were facts.

If his responses are acceptable in their presentation, I can hardly see why you take mine as you are choosing to.

Yes, there was my other horrible transgression where I incorrectly stated that the Paula Poundstone Show was cancelled after one episode. It was cancelled after two episodes. Clearly I deserved the venom you directed at me. :rolleyes:

Two posts with erroneous information (and as far as errors go, they're what I'd call the very definition of underwhelming) and you jump my shit. Seriously now, you don't think you were overreacting just a *tad* by insulting me about it? If I had the energy or cared in the slightest, I'd check to see if you've made two errors or more in your posting history.

Although, if you can't see your insult even when a Mod tells you you're being insulting, I doubt anything more I can say will sway you.

Push You Down
06-30-2005, 03:52 PM
John Corbett- MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, SEX & THE CITY, RAISING HELEN

As well as two TV shows... Wasn't he the star of Nowhere Man? Also a show called Luck or Lucky I can't remember.

dropzone
06-30-2005, 04:15 PM
As far as Raven Symone is concerned, I think she took off some time to transform from a five year old to a twenty year old, though she worked irregularly until the past couple years, when her career started taking off. Another thing she did was to take some acting lessons and perfect what she learned at Cosby's knee because she has really developed some comedy chops. Maybe we didn't see her much when we weren't watching kids shows but we will be seeing more of her. The kid breaks me up.

Rick
06-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Robert Guillaume also did a turn in the lead of a little known musical (http://www.theatre-musical.com/phantom/guillaume.html) :D

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.