PDA

View Full Version : What book/film contains this rather schmoopy quote?

La Llorona
06-28-2005, 10:49 PM
A friend and I spent half the evening trying to think of the origin of this (vastly paraphrased) scene from a book/film, but couldn't come up with anything in the end. It goes something like this:

Either two lovers or two relatives are discussing how they'll soon have to be parted, and one of them says something to the effect of, "Well, don't worry, and don't miss me too much. Whenever you're lonely for me, just look up at the moon, and I'll be looking too, and we'll always be together that way."

That's the basic idea of it, although we both have only a very vague recollection of this scene and the actual details may differ a fair bit. Any thoughts as to which book or film this is from?

RikWriter
06-29-2005, 01:00 AM
It sounds kinda like something from American Tail.

Cat Jones
06-29-2005, 02:28 AM
That's my reflex answer too ...
Cue song :
"Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight etc"

Thudlow Boink
06-29-2005, 08:07 AM
It sounds kinda like something from American Tail."American Tail"? That sounds like it oughta be one of the American Pie movies.

Sorry, OP, I got nothing—but yeah, that it pretty schmoopy.

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
06-29-2005, 08:33 AM
It's something with a father/daughter combination, I believe. On the tip of my brain..... can't.... quite.... remember.... what it is.... and I think it might have been a shining star, or stars....

BMalion
06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Well, I'm reminded of the lyrics from Gilbert & Sullivan's operetta "The Gondoliers". In which the 2 ladies, Tessa and Gianetta, soon to be seperated from their new husbands, sing :

"...And if so be You think of me,
Please tell the moon!
I'll read it all
In rays that fall
On the lagoon..."

bordelond
06-29-2005, 08:45 AM
It's something with a father/daughter combination, I believe. On the tip of my brain..... can't.... quite.... remember.... what it is.... and I think it might have been a shining star, or stars....
IIRC, there's a scene like this in the movie Contact.

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
06-29-2005, 08:53 AM
IIRC, there's a scene like this in the movie Contact.

Yes, in fact it was Jodie Foster that came to mind when I read that, but it seems like I've seen something within the past couple of months in which this happened again.

I haven't seen Contact since it came out, which was several years ago. Unless my brain is haywire and I can't recall time very well, which could be true, I must be thinking of Contact.

BwanaBob
06-29-2005, 10:00 AM
It sounds kinda like something from American Tail.

Yes, Fievel Mouskewitz came right to mind.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
06-29-2005, 10:21 AM
I think there’s a scene sorta like this in an ep of “Quantum Leap,” possibly the 3rd season opener “The Leap Back.” Sam has just leaped home, and at the end, he is talking to his wife, telling her that they’ll be looking at the same moon (or star).

Lord Ashtar
06-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Huh. And here I thought it was from Seinfeld.

"You're Schmoopy!"
"No, you're Schmoopy!"

Clothahump
06-29-2005, 01:35 PM
John Denver comes to mind.

And the moon and the stars are the same ones you see.
It's the same old sun up in the sky.

Shanghai Breezes

Only Mostly Dead
06-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Pretty sure I just heard it recently in .hack//legend of the twilight. Can't find any quotes pages among all of the commercial sites google is throwing me, though.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.