PDA

View Full Version : Movie Poster -- Word Picture

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 11:20 AM
This idea just came to me and I haven't attempted to find any previous threads that may deal with the notion. That said, here's the deal:

Visualize those big posters in theater lobbies. Crammed with images of the stars, the setting, some big action still. You know the type.

Limit yourself to one picture, but give as much descriptive detail as you can to narrow that image down to just one movie so that your description will make anybody know just what movie you mean.

Here's the example I have thought of:

The deck of a WWII naval vessel. An officer is standing near the railing of an upper deck with a potted plant, like a fern or a plam tree, held high over his head, obviously in the midst of throwing this thing overboard.

Name the movie.

Bryan Ekers
07-01-2005, 11:52 AM
The would be the Swedish classic Tosse Bark (http://www.all2know.com/sv/wikipedia/t/to/tosse_bark.html).

Just kidding.

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 12:07 PM
The would be the Swedish classic Tosse Bark (http://www.all2know.com/sv/wikipedia/t/to/tosse_bark.html).

Just kidding.

Love it! There is at least one other movie, though: the one I was thinking of.

Desperate Welfie
07-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Mister Roberts

I love that movie!

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Mister Roberts

I love that movie!

Excellent! I love it, too. One of those "to hell with authority" messages in the midst of the military machine.

Somebody come up with a new picture; possibly from more recent times. Just don't go for the car chase or the explosion or the liplock.

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Okay. Twist my arm.

It's night. A drunk is using a pipe cutter tool to cut the heads off parking meters.

RealityChuck
07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Frogs fall from the sky.

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Frogs fall from the sky.

Magnolia

People crawling around on the Mt. Rushmore faces.

Larry Borgia
07-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Magnolia

People crawling around on the Mt. Rushmore faces.

North by Northwest.

An unoccupied expensive sports car crashes backwards out a glass window of an expensive house. Three teenagers look on in horrifed astonishment

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 01:23 PM
North by Northwest.

An unoccupied expensive sports car crashes backwards out a glass window of an expensive house. Three teenagers look on in horrifed astonishment

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A man whose facial features and stance would indicate limited mental capacities with his pants legs reaching well above his sock tops is standing in a fast food window gazing at the menu while the clerk looks at him quizzically.l

Encinitas
07-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Sling Blade

A giant stone nearly runs down our hero.

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Sling Blade

A giant stone nearly runs down our hero.

Indiana Jones Is it the Temple of Doom?

Three men sit in the interior of a tugboat showing each other scars and wounds

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Indiana Jones Is it the Temple of Doom?

Make that Raiders of the Lost Ark

Encinitas
07-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Close, it's Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Jaws

A little boy uses Resse's Pieces to make a new friend.

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Close, it's Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Jaws

A little boy uses Resse's Pieces to make a new friend.

E.T. The Extraterrestrial

A large number of men are running in the surf

Encinitas
07-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Chariots of Fire

An early hominid throws a bone.

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Chariots of Fire

An early hominid throws a bone.

2001: A Space Odyssey

Two androids visit an Asian man in a deep freeze room and play with some artificial eyes

Zabali_Clawbane
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Zeldar yours was Bladerunner.

A strange humanoid with a joyous expression is holding up a cat out of some wreckage, amongst the wreckage are kittens, in the background is tremendous upheaval and wreckage. There are tears on the humanoid's face.

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Zeldar yours was Bladerunner.

A strange humanoid with a joyous expression is holding up a cat out of some wreckage, amongst the wreckage are kittens, in the background is tremendous upheaval and wreckage. There are tears on the humanoid's face.

Just so you'll know, Zabali_Clawbane, if I saw that movie I can't remember the scene. It sounds like one of the disaster movies involving an earthquake or some other natural disaster, or else an Armageddon type sci-fi futuristic post-apocalyptic thing.

Is there some mischief in using the term "humanoid"?

Encinitas
07-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Beneath the Planet of the Apes ?????????????????

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Beneath the Planet of the Apes ?????????????????

I also wondered if it might be one of the apes movies, but I only saw the first one. I even wondered if it might have been Road Warrior which I did see but can't remember the scene being there. Even one of Ahnold's terminator things.

No luck so far guessing this one.
Help!

Queen of the Felines
07-01-2005, 06:27 PM

Star Trek: Generations?

Zeldar
07-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Until Zabali_Clawbane confirms or denies the suggested titles, I suggest we continue on. It's been three hours or so since the post.

New poster:

An old man with an eyepatch has the reins for his horse in his teeth and has a gun in each hand.

Desperate Welfie
07-02-2005, 07:40 AM
True Grit?

Zeldar
07-02-2005, 07:54 AM
True Grit?

That's it.

Two men in western clothes, without hats, are jumping off a cliff into a stream

Desperate Welfie
07-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

A half frozen man holding a stick of dynamite in one hand, a lit flare in the other.

Zeldar
07-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

A half frozen man holding a stick of dynamite in one hand, a lit flare in the other.

I can see several incomplete pictures. First thought would be Ice Station Zebra but I can't remember enough of that movie to be sure. Another idea is Die Hard 2 but that's not clear either. Lastly, I'm thinking Von Ryan's Express for no good reason.

Any additional pieces of the picture? Clothing? Setting? Background? Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Good one, though.

Desperate Welfie
07-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Ok, then.
His back's to a wall in a supply closet. There's a layer of frost all over his beard, and he has the hood to his fur lined parka pushed back off his head.

Zeldar
07-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Ok, then.
His back's to a wall in a supply closet. There's a layer of frost all over his beard, and he has the hood to his fur lined parka pushed back off his head.

Could it be Carpenter's The Thing?

Desperate Welfie
07-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Bingo!!

Zeldar
07-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Here's a new one:

A man in a business suit, holding a briefcase, and a woman in a print dress are being dumped out of a garbage truck into a landfill.

Zabali_Clawbane
07-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Star Trek: Generations?

Yep, sorry I didn't get back sooner, have had a busy weekend. The "strange humanoid" was Data who would look completely human were it not for his white skin and golden eyes.

Zabali_Clawbane
07-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Adding, I didn't intend "mischief" by my description of Data either. To me, he can't be human, because of his white skin and golden eyes, yet he's got a "human" build, therefore he's "humanoid" in appearance, (as in, human seeming to a varying degree, but not human) and later you find that he's an android, designed to learn to be human.

Zeldar
07-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Adding, I didn't intend "mischief" by my description of Data either. To me, he can't be human, because of his white skin and golden eyes, yet he's got a "human" build, therefore he's "humanoid" in appearance, (as in, human seeming to a varying degree, but not human) and later you find that he's an android, designed to learn to be human.

Thanks for clarifying. I couldn't help but wonder if the "humanoid" was an actual human, such as a little girl. And then I also wondered if maybe it was a monkey or an ape or some other persuasion. I have seen snatches of the Star Trek series after The Original, but not enough to relate to the characters or episodes. I'd have never guessed this one. No biggee, though.

picunurse
07-03-2005, 06:41 AM
In the forground is an old Royal typewriter. The paper becomes trees in snow with someone carrying a body.

picunurse
07-03-2005, 07:03 AM
I have three more. I'll be back in a couple hours to see if anyone got them. The first is a gimme the second easy, the third may be obscure.

1. Black leather, sun glasses, frowning, he sits astride a Hog with a sawed off shotgun in his left hand.

2. The one face you see, is two, his and hers.

3. Two skiers crisscrossing down the mountain from a pass, but wait.. Its a kiss.

Zabali_Clawbane
07-03-2005, 02:35 PM
picunurse number two could be either Tootsie or Mrs. Doubtfire IMO. Am I right?

picunurse
07-03-2005, 06:29 PM
picunurse number two could be either Tootsie or Mrs. Doubtfire IMO. Am I right?
Nope. I'm kind of cheating since I have the film proof for the posters in front of me.
The second one is GhostPatrick Swazye and Demi Moore

picunurse
07-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Since I can't hang out here all day, I'll put the other two in spoilers too.

The first one is Terminator Arnold
The third was obscure, at least to me, my husband knew it.
The Perfect Run sorry, I don't know the stars

picunurse
07-03-2005, 06:36 PM
In the forground is an old Royal typewriter. The paper becomes trees in snow with someone carrying a body.
This one is Misery James Caan, Kathy Bates

Zeldar
07-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Here's a new one:

A man in a business suit, holding a briefcase, and a woman in a print dress are being dumped out of a garbage truck into a landfill.

The Steve McQueen version of The Getaway

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.