PDA

View Full Version : Roy Scheider has multiple myeloma

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
07-01-2005, 04:27 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/320731p-274107c.html

twickster
07-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Very sad. I've never seen Jaws, but All That Jazz is one of my favorite movies ever.

Kaspar Hauser
07-01-2005, 05:11 PM
I recently realized that Roy Scheider was in every movie ever made in the 1970s.

ftg
07-01-2005, 05:57 PM
One of the "themes" of ATJ is him watching over and over in the editing room the comic's bit about the 5 stages of death. If it comes to it, he'll at least be prepared.

Let's hope he doesn't have to go thru a dying scene led by Ben Vereen that goes on foreeeeveeeeer.

"That's some bad hat, Harry."

Hal Briston
07-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I've never seen Jaws...."I've never seen J.."

Wait...hold up a sec...I may need a minute to process this...

"I've never se..."

No, wait...just gimme a minute...

"I've ne..."

Nope...no good...just can't seem to wrap my brain around that one.

Tell you what...we have a home theater complete with 65" widescreen TV, and you have a need to see one of the greatest films of the past 30 years. twicks, next time you find yourself at the Jersey shore, consider yourself formally invited to the Briston household.

Hey, we're close to the beach...you could even go for a refreshing dip in the Atlantic afterward. :)

Bryan Ekers
07-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Jaws, shmaws.

His best work remains 2010: The Year we Make Contact.

heh.

Baldwin
07-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Wow; didn't realize Roy Scheider is 72. All my favorite actors are getting old.

Askia
07-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Yes. YES!! Ha ha! Y---

Oh. ROY Schneider. Oh.

boofuu
07-02-2005, 01:44 AM
Yes. YES!! Ha ha! Y---

Oh. ROY Schneider. Oh.

I totally saw Rob Schneider. Then I felt about myself for not feeling bad and thinking maybe he would be forced to stop making bad movies.

Now I am sad cause I love Roy Scheider.

And yeah, twickster, you totally need to see Jaws. Good stuff.

boofuu
07-02-2005, 01:46 AM
I totally saw Rob Schneider. Then I felt about myself for not feeling bad and thinking maybe he would be forced to stop making bad movies.

Felt bad. Now I feel worse because I had to say it twice.

Liz
07-02-2005, 01:52 AM
I've never seen Jaws
I'm sure this is English, yet I cannot comprehend it.

Someone translate.

detop
07-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Jaws, shmaws.

heh.

Nope, his best work remains Blue Thunder

Tuckerfan
07-02-2005, 02:10 AM
I thought he looked bad in RKO 281, and it upset me, since he's such a good actor. This is really bad, though.The Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation describes the disease as "incurable but treatable. ... While a myeloma diagnosis can be overwhelming, it is important to remember that there are several promising new therapies that are helping patients live longer, healthier lives.":(

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
07-02-2005, 10:20 AM

"Catch ya later. . . ."

Moirai
07-02-2005, 10:49 AM
JAFO. 'Nuff said.

And yeah, ATJ and Jaws are astonishing films.

He's 72? When did he get so old? Hell, when did I get so old?!?

:(

Labdad
07-02-2005, 12:07 PM
This gives me a good excuse to watch Sorcerer again. No Roy Scheider appreciation is complete without it!

mike1dog
07-02-2005, 12:43 PM
This gives me a good excuse to watch Sorcerer again. No Roy Scheider appreciation is complete without it!

You beat me to the punch. This is one of my favorite movies period, although it sank like a rock at the box office.

Uvula Donor
07-02-2005, 12:54 PM

No way. SeaQuest. Hundred percent.

Oslo Ostragoth
07-03-2005, 02:09 AM
This is such a bummer. Roy Scheider is one of those guys, like Robert Duvall (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000380/), who shows up early, turns in a terrific performance, and goes back home again without screaming and jumping on Oprah's couch.

I wish him well in his struggle.

picunurse
07-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Multiple myeloma (http://www.multiplemyeloma.org/about_myeloma/2.05.html) is very treatable.

Mockingbird
07-03-2005, 01:14 PM
"I've never seen J.."

Wait...hold up a sec...I may need a minute to process this...

"I've never se..."

No, wait...just gimme a minute...

"I've ne..."

Nope...no good...just can't seem to wrap my brain around that one.

Tell you what...we have a home theater complete with 65" widescreen TV, and you have a need to see one of the greatest films of the past 30 years. twicks, next time you find yourself at the Jersey shore, consider yourself formally invited to the Briston household.

Hey, we're close to the beach...you could even go for a refreshing dip in the Atlantic afterward. :)

I'm not angling for an invitation, but I've never seen that fish movie either.

Declan
07-03-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm sure this is English, yet I cannot comprehend it.

Someone translate.

It was a blockbuster movie back in the seventies , with a great white shark .

Declan

Mockingbird
07-03-2005, 01:17 PM

I believe that by law, coating Rob Schneider with shark pheremones and throwing him in the ocean is considered a gift to humanity.

Baker
07-03-2005, 03:00 PM
In spite of all the hype it had, Jaws remains one of the best horror movies made.

twickster, my twin, you must see this movie. Try your best to find the time to watch it straight through. Get a video, dont' let it be interrupted on TV by commercials. I'm achin' to tell you all the good bits, but it would spoil many a surprise. One scene stands out though, Chief Brody(Roy Schieder) and his youngest son, at the supper table. And there's one scene in which you never see the shark, and nobody gets hurt, yet it's one of the scariest(to me) in the film. I won't say what it is, I want to tantalize you into seeing the movie.

I saw Jaws for the first time about three weeks after it's release, in 1975. It was still so well attended that I had to go to a midnight showing the theater had added. This was in Monterey, California. About a week later I went to the beautiful white sand beaches of Carmel, and you could count on the fingers of one hand the people who were in the water further than their ankles.

AbbyF
03-10-2014, 05:29 AM
Well,just saw this thread.. ANyway, Patients with early myeloma can do well for years without treatment and starting treatment early does not seem to help them live longer. These patients are often watched closely without starting chemo. Sometimes they will be given a medication called bisphosphonate to help protect their bones...

lisiate
03-10-2014, 06:01 AM
That's as maybe, but Mr Scheider died back in 2008.

So was it really worth reviving this thread?

the_diego
03-10-2014, 06:16 AM
This bump launched me into an epic google search because I suddenly remembered seeing Roy's face in the cover of Michener's "Centennial" paperback. But alas, I couldn't find that version and his name wasn't in the cast (even the supporting cast) so it must have been another book, or maybe a poster. Don't know why I did that. I was sure he died years ago.

bup
03-10-2014, 07:00 AM
I glanced at the topic and thought Rob Schneider had multiple myeloma.

fruitbat
03-10-2014, 07:26 AM
The real question is whether twickster has seen Jaws yet?

lost4life
03-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Well,just saw this thread.. ANyway, Patients with early myeloma can do well for years without treatment and starting treatment early does not seem to help them live longer. These patients are often watched closely without starting chemo. Sometimes they will be given a medication called bisphosphonate to help protect their bones...

I say we dig him up and give it a try.

Small Hen
03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
I had a real "Didn't he die a few years back?" moment until I realized that we were talking about zombie Roy Scheider.

twickster
03-12-2014, 02:13 PM
The real question is whether twickster has seen Jaws yet?

Nope.

Did finally see Jurassic Park, if that counts for anything.

FoieGrasIsEvil
03-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Nope.

I just caught some of Jaws the other night with my son, we love it. Forgotten in all the Roy Scheider talk is how great Robert Shaw's performance really is in that movie.

Twickster, you MUST put Jaws on your movie bucket list!

Lukeinva
03-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Nope.

It doesn't, unfortunately. Jurrassic Park is science fiction. Watch Jaws and you may never swim in the ocean again!

E-DUB
03-12-2014, 04:28 PM
I thought he was dead already.

Melchior
03-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Jaws, shmaws.

heh.

Nah. Sorcerer.

Oslo Ostragoth
03-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Nope.

Dude. Jaws is a movie that I will watch no matter how many times I have seen it.

You owe it to yourself.

Sherrerd
03-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Dude. Jaws is a movie that I will watch no matter how many times I have seen it.
You owe it to yourself.

Agreed. It truly is a beautifully-constructed movie.

IvoryTowerDenizen
03-12-2014, 07:24 PM

You owe it to yourself.

It's been running on cable this week and I keep watching up to the "Indianapolis" scene. The movie is fantastic, even three days in a row.

nevadaexile
03-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Roy Scheider has been cured of multiple myeloma.

Too soon?

Labdad
03-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Nah. Sorcerer.

This!!!

Little Nemo
03-12-2014, 07:40 PM
When is All That Jazz going to have a blu-ray release?

Scubaqueen
03-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Twickster, run - do not walk - to the nearest Red Box or online rental whatsit and rent yerself that damn movie!!! Dude, nine years and you STILL haven't seen it??????

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.