PDA

View Full Version : Good Whistling songs

Nobody
07-01-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm posting a thread that I have a feeling will die a quick, but painless death, but, I'll give it a shot anyway.

What are some good songs that either feature whistling, or that you like to whistle (as oppose to sing or hum)?

For good songs with whistling in them
Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay by Odis Redding
Daydream by Lovin' Spoonful
Winds of change - The Scorpions
and
Patience by Guns 'N Roses

So, what do you have to add to the list?

twickster
07-01-2005, 06:59 PM
I like to whistle The Ode to Joy from Beethoven's Ninth.

I'm not sure I do justice to it, of course...

from_a_to_z
07-01-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm posting a thread that I have a feeling will die a quick, but painless death...
In my dreams. Now, though, my mind is beginning to overflow with whistling tunes.

I recognize Master Control's first two songs only. (Perhaps I can live a while longer before hearing the other two.) In return...

"A Whistling Tune", "Whistling In The Dark", and you too can search for such titles.

"I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman"
and
"Colonel Bogey March".

TJdude825
07-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Just be careful. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=323357)

panache45
07-01-2005, 07:07 PM
The theme song of the "Andy Griffith Show"

And just about anything by Leroy Anderson.

baronsabato
07-01-2005, 07:29 PM
My own favorite song to whistle is the theme from Disney's "Robin Hood", also turned into that annoying Hamsterdance song.

Dee da dee da dee da doh doh
Dee da dee dee doh!

Great song!

Julius Henry
07-01-2005, 07:51 PM
The theme to The Garry Shandling Show.

Axel
07-01-2005, 07:56 PM
'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.'

Nobody
07-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Just thought of a couple more.
The theme to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
And I just remembered the episodes of the Simpons where they Homer and Lisa hear the song from the Egyptian egg, but afterwards, Homer whistles the Old Spice theme.

Hey, I got a song, that, while containing no whistling, is a good song to whistle. But I shouldn't share because people will be ticked off at me because they won't be able to get it out of their heads.

Nobody
07-01-2005, 07:58 PM
'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.'
Oh hell, I was whistling that a couple of days ago, I can't believe I forgot about it.

davmilasav
07-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Here's two:

"Jealous Guy" by John Lennon
"Golden Years" by David Bowie

from_a_to_z
07-01-2005, 10:11 PM
And just about anything by Leroy Anderson.
I'd love to hear a well-whistled rendition of "Bugler's Holiday".
Also "Saber Dance" and "Flight of the Bumble Bee".

Whether or not he ever drew it, I can imagine a Gary Larson cartoon where The Lone Ranger is riding to the rescue while the "William Tell Overture" is whistled.

commasense
07-01-2005, 10:42 PM
The piccolo part to "The Stars and Stripes Forever" by J.P. Sousa.

Tentacle Monster
07-01-2005, 10:43 PM
The theme from Sanford and Son.

One time a NCO I work with came into the office and said "I was walking down the hallway, whistling that song, and the major said 'Stop it, or I'll have that running through my head all day."

So half of our shop went down the hall, intending to whistle it as we passed his office, when the major came around the corner. We just cracked up.

from_a_to_z
07-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Two more.
(Self to brain: "Please give it a rest.")...

"Ue O Muite Aruko", AKA "I Look Up When I Walk" AKA "Sukiyaki" by Kyu Sakamoto

And who among you has been on a flight where the pilot whistled the theme to "The High and the Mighty"?

Cliffy
07-01-2005, 10:53 PM
"My Cherie Amour" There's a street performer around my office who can whistle this with harmony. I'm not quite that talented.

--Cliffy

kaylasdad99
07-02-2005, 12:07 AM
I dig the whistling bits in Billy Joel's The Stranger. But I won't sing that song at karaoke, because I can't reproduce it.

And yes, I do know that from humiliating experience.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
07-02-2005, 09:17 AM
"The Poor People of Paris" by Les Baxter and his orchestra (1956).

Zeldar
07-02-2005, 09:50 AM
"The Poor People of Paris" by Les Baxter and his orchestra (1956).

There were at least three "whistling songs" I associate with that period:

Lisbon Antigua
Moritat (later better known as Mack The Knife)
Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White

and now that they're finally releasing the movie to DVD:

The High and The Mighty

Zeldar
07-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Does anybody remember an old radio drama called The Whistler? That was one weird tune to try to whistle. I keep trying to find a website that traffics in Old Time Radio that might have the tune itself. So far, no luck,

gwendee
07-02-2005, 12:33 PM
I like to whistle with Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard by Paul Simon (and also Jealous Guy ).

Zeldar you might try http://www.radiospirits.com . . We listen to Radio Classics at work and these folks advertise tapes and CDs. I've heard a few episodes of The Whistler.

Julius Henry
07-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Brief hijack.

Does anybody remember an old radio drama called The Whistler? That was one weird tune to try to whistle. I keep trying to find a website that traffics in Old Time Radio that might have the tune itself. So far, no luck,
I found this site (http://radio.macinmind.com/) through iTunes. You'll have to wait until they broadcast the episodes, but The Whistler is on their programming list.

Hijack over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Doping.

Infovore
07-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I don't know if it's a good song or not, but "Don't Worry, Be Happy" has whistling.

Nobody
07-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I don't know if it's a good song or not, but "Don't Worry, Be Happy" has whistling.
It's all a matter of taste.

Dignan
07-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I agree with Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard.

Another good one is Twisted Nerve by Bernard Hermann. It's the song that Darryl Hannah's character in Kill Bill whistles when she's walking through the hospital.

Raguleader
07-05-2005, 01:52 AM
"Walk Like An Egyptian" by the Bangles :cool:

the Comet song (ie: Comet, it makes your teeth turn green! Comet, it tastes like Listerine! Comet, It'll make you vomit! etc.)

The Icre Cream truck song

Dixie (I start whistling this every time John Wayne says "Well I ain't Whistling Dixie!" in a movie)

Lately, I've found myself whistling Luke Skywalker's theme from Star Wars whenever I'm running errands in the building I work in. I can only imagine what all the professors and grad students think of that goofy student worker who wanders around whistling Star Wars songs. :rolleyes:

Every once in a while, I might whistle the theme song to the old Wing Commander computer game. :D

Mockingbird
07-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Songs I have whistled:

Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Handel's Sarabande
Orff's Carmina Burana
Mozart's - Eine Kleine Nacht Musik

aruvqan
07-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Engel, Rammstein. Major whistling parts in it=)

Sunshine and Smiles
07-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Another good one is Twisted Nerve by Bernard Hermann. It's the song that Darryl Hannah's character in Kill Bill whistles when she's walking through the hospital.

This is the one I came to recommend. It's great fun to walk down hallways whistling this, gets a great reaction from people who have seen the flick.

EleventyOne
07-05-2005, 03:16 PM
I'd love to hear a well-whistled rendition of "Bugler's Holiday".
Also "Saber Dance" and "Flight of the Bumble Bee".

Whether or not he ever drew it, I can imagine a Gary Larson cartoon where The Lone Ranger is riding to the rescue while the "William Tell Overture" is whistled.I used to be able to whistle a pretty fine "Flight of the Bumblebee" and "William Tell Overture". Not any kind of competition-quality, but fairly impressive. :D

I had some major dental work a few years back and while I can still whistle somewhat, my range, tone quality and clarity just aren't the same. :(

Skywatcher
07-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I've been known to whistle the theme from The Great Escape when leaving work for the day. Other favorites include the Loony Toons theme (doo doo deedledeedeedoo, doo deedledeedeedee...), the Benny Hill closing theme (Yakety Sax), the opening and closing strains of The Stars & Stripes Forever (I can do the rest as well but have forgotten the order), and the first Cantina song from Star Wars (doot doot doot doot doot doo doodle doo doo doodle doo doo...).

rjk
07-05-2005, 05:49 PM
I just watched "M" with Peter Lorre as a child murderer.

From the trivia section of IMDB's entry:The tune that Peter Lorre's character whistles is "In the Hall of the Mountain King," from the "Peer Gynt" suite, by Edvard Grieg.
Nice tune, but you might want to watch the movie first, or at least make sure there are no young girls around.

tarragon918
07-05-2005, 07:29 PM
How about "Bridge over the River Kwai?" That is most definitely a whistling tune. :) I love to whistle but have been told many times that it is ... "un-ladylike" so usually won't whistle in public. Sometimes I whistle along with whatever I'm listening to and not always the melody, which probably has caused at least a few stares from fellow passengers on the bus as I usually do this while listening to headphones. :p The most challenging for me are always the classical pieces, especially the intricate ones...I'm afraid that I usually end up mangling them pretty badly!

Imasquare
07-05-2005, 07:58 PM
After hearing it in Blazing Saddles a few years ago I often found myself whisting The Camptown Races. That's the song Foghorn Leghorn is always singing too.

danceswithcats
07-05-2005, 08:11 PM
While doing a siding job, I was calling out dimensions to the helper as in (x length-left hand Vincent) regarding which ear to cut off, and began whistling Vincent's Tune, aka Starry, Starry Night by Don McLean. After a bit he asked me to stop or change tunes-he was feeling quite depressed. :(

I can't believe that's butter!
07-05-2005, 11:26 PM
"[b[England Swings[/b]" by Roger Miller. You hear a rare occurrence of overdubbed whistling.

Sir Rhosis
07-05-2005, 11:33 PM
For whatever reason (even I'm not sure why I whistle this tune instead of humming it), I always whistle (I think the name is) "Don't You Forget About Me," by the Simple Minds.

Sir Rhosis

I can't believe that's butter!
07-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Sumbitch. I meant "England Swings".

Nobody
07-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Wow, this many posts and there's one song nobody's mentioned. Of course, I don't blame you. It's a horrible ear worm that, once stuck in your head, won't come out for a long time.
For the sake of those who are faint of heart, I'll spoiler box it. Open at your own risk. You've been warned.
It's a small world after all

Ranchoth
07-06-2005, 01:22 AM
-"Le Boudin" (http://www.kraffe.org/brevin/legion/boudinlegion.htm)
-The Sound of Silence (Best on dark, rainy nights)
-Der Koniggratzer March (Only if you're alone. And in a bad mood.)
-PJ Olssen's "Whistle Song." (As seen in a Starburst commercial. Starburst hosts a free MP3 download for it, which you can find without much trouble.)

Dignan
07-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Another one I thought of while listnening to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack is "If Love Is A Red Dress (Hang Me In Rags)" by Maria McKee.

Typically Sunday
07-10-2005, 10:30 PM
The main theme from "Peter and the Wolf" is my personal favorite.

Balance
07-11-2005, 11:02 AM
My own favorite song to whistle is the theme from Disney's "Robin Hood", also turned into that annoying Hamsterdance song.

Dee da dee da dee da doh doh
Dee da dee dee doh!

Great song!
I came into this thread specifically to mention that tune. It can be maddening, though, as it's very hard to stop whistling once you start.

I'm also prone to whistling portions of The Barber of Seville and The Marriage of Figaro. Specifically, those portions used in "The Rabbit of Seville". :D

cmkeller
07-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Sweet Georgia Brown! (better known as the Harlem Globetrotters theme song)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.