PDA

View Full Version : Live 8 Concert

AmericanMaid
07-02-2005, 01:57 PM
I think it would be a good thing to have one mondo Live 8 topic if anyone else is watching. I've signed a letter to President Bush at: http://www.one.org/

Performance-wise, I liked the Sergeant Pepper's opening and Coldplay backing Richard Ashcroft on "Bittersweet Symphony". I severely dislike watching the concert on VH-1 or MTV how else are people watching?

Maybe a seperate Great Debates topic can be started analyzing just how effective benefit concerts are.

Antigen
07-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I've been watching the Canadian version on CTV. Randy Bachman is awesome.

I should have tried to get to Barrie for this!

Does this sort of thing actually send a message to the world leaders? I signed up at www.live8live.com and tried to do my part. Hopefully it'll end up making some sort of difference.

Sgt.Pepper
07-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm watching on the web, you can check out performances in different locations. Pretty good picture and sound.

http://music.aol.com/live_8_concert/live_now

It froze up my firefox, but with IE it works fine.

I'm thinking this will be me for the day.

Ximenean
07-02-2005, 02:47 PM
The BBC has been showing it on a couple of their channels all day. It's good but a bit of a shambles, rather like the original Live Aid. The Hyde Park (London) crowd seem a bit lifeless, but then they've got all the corporate people up at the front. Mucho swearing, way before the TV watershed :eek: The Beeb's complaints line is probably beseiged by Daily Mail readers at the moment.

Hippy Hollow
07-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm glad you started this thread, AmericanMaid. I think the idea behind the concert is fantastic, and I applaud all of the artists involved, especially Sir Bob.

The show, from a purely musical point of view? Pants so far.

I was wondering if this is a result of being older and remembering the Live Aid broadcast. Usram, the only thing I can remember is Bob Geldof on the telly every 30 minutes yelling at viewers to give up the cash. But I watched it the whole time. I have it on now, purely from an anthropological perspective though. I am not really digging it all.

MTV showed a recap of the '85 event, which might explain why it was so huge. First, it followed the Band Aid and USA for Africa songs, and many of us were unaware of the tragedy of what was taking place in Ethiopia before then. Today we live in a 24-hour news environment, and there's no "shock" in hearing the numbers and seeing the pictures. Unfortunately.

Also, let's recap who we saw on stage in '85. Queen. The Who. U2. Sting. Jagger and Bowie (well, they had the video). Even the lesser known bands, like Status Quo, Power Station, and Paul Young put on a good show. I guess seeing the Black Eyed Peas, Dave Matthews Band, and Linkin Park isn't doing it for me.

I thought what we saw of U2's part was ok. Nowhere as powerful as Live Aid though. The biggest surprise for me was Madonna's set. It was the best part I've seen so far. Very impressive, and I'm predisposed to slagging off Madge!

One last thing - the steaming pile of poo that is called Linkin Park just came on. Annoying screaming guy does his usual screaming, but then the rapper guy comes on and says to the crowd, "you guys sing along the words!" Tool. It's a charity show, and I doubt anyone came just to see your crappy band. In fact, you were encouraging your 50 fans in the crowd, while the remaining 100,000 looked at their watches, wondering when the next act will come on...

Gangster Octopus
07-02-2005, 03:20 PM
It's a charity show

Actually, it isn't.

vibrotronica
07-02-2005, 03:27 PM
MTV needs to shut the fuck up. A few minutes ago, I was treated to Carson Daily (I think) and some british asshole in London saying "Wow, Joss Stone is really tearing up the stage here in London." Then they went to commercial.

If she's tearing up the stage, I want to see that. I don't want to hear your commentors prattle on.

Arwin
07-02-2005, 03:33 PM
MTV showed a recap of the '85 event, which might explain why it was so huge. First, it followed the Band Aid and USA for Africa songs, and many of us were unaware of the tragedy of what was taking place in Ethiopia before then. Today we live in a 24-hour news environment, and there's no "shock" in hearing the numbers and seeing the pictures. Unfortunately.

That doesn't go for the younger generation, though. And the important point here is that everyone gets to know about our ridiculous trade practices. I mean, sure we give 1 billion to Africa but then we spend 2 billion to subsidize our farmers to outprice African farmers by dumping our products in Africa? If we would stop giving any more aid, but also stopped those ridiculous subsidies, then Africa would be heaps better off.

Also, let's recap who we saw on stage in '85. Queen. The Who. U2. Sting. Jagger and Bowie (well, they had the video). Even the lesser known bands, like Status Quo, Power Station, and Paul Young put on a good show. I guess seeing the Black Eyed Peas, Dave Matthews Band, and Linkin Park isn't doing it for me.

But the people who are actually standing there will probably feel the same vice versa. I'm starting to feel that this new generation is a modest, humble crowd, feeling tiny and insignificant, or maybe its just those ecstacy pills. :D

I thought what we saw of U2's part was ok. Nowhere as powerful as Live Aid though. The biggest surprise for me was Madonna's set. It was the best part I've seen so far. Very impressive, and I'm predisposed to slagging off Madge!

There are definitely a lot of bands out there who are more suited to the studio, to say it kindly (unlike, say, the Dave Matthews band). Though the Black Eyed Peas are actually quite good life, imho. But what does seem lacking is a spirit of cooperation. It seems a bit as if the participating artists have too busy schedules and can barely make time to take part, let alone interact with others. That's what I miss a bit from here - it's too much like a bunch of separate concerts, without a unifying theme. With Live Aid, you at least had the dying children on the background of all the songs, so to speak. Now we have a few presenters doing their best to link stuff up a bit, and snap their fingers every now and then. That's a bit lacking.

Still, 3 Billion viewers is nothing to scoff at. Half the world has shared an experience, a bit of mutual history. In that context I found the comment that Russia couldn't see Live Aid concerts last time, but now 160 million Russians can watch, quite interesting.

One last thing - the steaming pile of poo that is called Linkin Park just came on. Annoying screaming guy does his usual screaming, but then the rapper guy comes on and says to the crowd, "you guys sing along the words!" Tool. It's a charity show, and I doubt anyone came just to see your crappy band. In fact, you were encouraging your 50 fans in the crowd, while the remaining 100,000 looked at their watches, wondering when the next act will come on...

Yes, it's a studio band. Not really it. I definitely prefer - say - Red Hot Chili Peppers.

brianjedi
07-02-2005, 03:42 PM
God bless XM for carrying all the shows live. They bumped 6 channels for the day to carry them.

Highlights for me so far:

- Audioslave playing Black Hole Sun and Killing in the Name Of. That was a pure rock out moment.

- Green Day set the place on fire, IMO. American Idiot, Holiday, Minority and We Are The Champions (which sounded surprisingly good.)

- Coldplay bringing out Richard Ashcroft from The Verve for Bittersweet Symphony, and Chris Martin singing backup so Ashcroft could have the spotlight.

- Will Smith bringing DJ Jazzy Jeff with him, then giving the crowd the Fresh Prince theme as well as Summertime.

Lowlights:

- Toby Keith. WTF?

- The Linkin Park/Jay-Z set sounds awful. They all sound like they can't hear themselves, and the microphones keep cutting out.

Anyone know what the deal with Shakira was? I caught a bit of the Paris feed, and they said she'd decided to go on, 20 minutes late.

Arwin
07-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Anyone know what the deal with Shakira was? I caught a bit of the Paris feed, and they said she'd decided to go on, 20 minutes late.

No, I just know that they said that after the first song (if you ask me a bit ill-chosen, as I'm sure the original version of that song was probably more popular there, as it was here), the Paris crowd really warmed up to her. Perhaps she also did some of her Spanish work (which, imho, is far superior).

Antigen
07-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Another lowlight: Celine Dion.

First, the crowd booing when it was announced they were going live to Las Vegas for her part. Then her actual performance. Both horrible.

zoog
07-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm digging this a lot more with the AOL feed than I was on MTV, to say the least. Although it was kind of a nice oddity to turn on MTV and actually see a little music. Made me feel kind of nostalgic...

The London sets by Joss Stone and Scissor Sisters were fun to catch in their entirety. Looking forward to the Roxy Music set in Berlin in a few minutes. I didn't even know they were back together. Anyone know if this is a one-off for Live 8, or are they recording/touring again?

ccwaterback
07-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Who's that Slash is playing with in London? 3PM CST USA time.

dalej42
07-02-2005, 03:55 PM
MTV has done a terrible job so far. The only act they've shown a major portion of their set has been Linkin Park/Jay Z. As hip hop is their major target demographic, this isn't surprising. However, they could allow VH1 to show some of the other artists. So far, this is reminding me of old Olympics coverage. Too much coverage of the crowd and how far people drove, and not enough coverage of the actual coverage.

I watched almost the original Live Aid concert on MTV and an independent television station in Florida when I was in high school in 1985.

Live 8 so far has turned out much worse. Too many commercials, too much annoying chatter from MTV/VH1 'hosts" and too little of the actual concerts.

I have XM satellite radio, but only in my car and they're not broadcasting it online.

I'd say Madonna (from the 2 songs MTV aired) has done the best. The Killers also looked impressive, but they didn't show too much of their set. This is a problem. Live Aid helped bands get exposure such as U2. The Killers could have gotten the same exposure. However, MTV/VH1 needed to show more commercials and have more annoying chit chat from their host and interviews with the crowd.

dalej42
07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
No, I just know that they said that after the first song (if you ask me a bit ill-chosen, as I'm sure the original version of that song was probably more popular there, as it was here), the Paris crowd really warmed up to her. Perhaps she also did some of her Spanish work (which, imho, is far superior).

Doesn't she primarily sing in Portuguese?

zoog
07-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Who's that Slash is playing with in London? 3PM CST USA time.

Velvet Revolver.

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Agree on cutting The Killers set to get some stupid chit chat.

MTV is finally showing the GreenDay set. It's very good.... I like them.

I'll try to see if I can get the sets online instead of depending on MTV/VH1 shitty coverage... unless my computer is unable to handle it.

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Noooo, Shakira sings primarily in Spanish. She has a Portuguese album (which is just translations of one of her Spanish albums), but she's from Colombia and her best works are in Spanish.

dalej42
07-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Still, 3 Billion viewers is nothing to scoff at. Half the world has shared an experience, a bit of mutual history. In that context I found the comment that Russia couldn't see Live Aid concerts last time, but now 160 million Russians can watch, quite interesting

Didn't Russia have their own concert during Live Aid? I remember two songs by a Russian band which aired during Live Aid. How I wish I still had my Live Aid video tape. It may have been a "contribution" similar to BB King's performance and the contribution from INXS from Australia.

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I must say... the best I've heard so far are the performers in Johnnesburg... the Orchestra Baobob (which was just cut off by VH1/MTV, the bastards). :)

Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party
07-02-2005, 04:16 PM
The London crowd appears completely lifeless. Hardly surprising when you consider the front row of the crowd is about half a mile away from the stage. I missed Ashcroft sing Bittersweet Symphony because of work, but the first few sets that I saw were way too quiet on the BBC. I could hardly here Travis et al. sing. The volume seemed to have been turned up for Snoop Dog, who, although I dislike rap, did a decent set.

BTW, the BBC only showed The Killers doing one song ("All these things that I have done), so I think that was their set.

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Perhaps, but I know (from the video) that the part where VH1/MTV cut them off was still part of the song, and not the ending.

Hippy Hollow
07-02-2005, 04:25 PM
MTV is officially, irretrievably, on my shit list.

Extended Linkin Park set?
Equal time to Keane and Sting? Hey, jackasses, it's Sting.
Idiotic prattle from VJs? How about a scrolling bar with all of the "info" you must share with us, and letting us see as much of the show as possible?

dalej42
07-02-2005, 04:31 PM
During the original Live Aid, the 4 original MTV Vjs did talk, but it was almost always during breaks onstage. However, the way they are airing the concert is disgusting. They have other networks. If MTV wants to show interviews with fans and endless chitchat, then at least allow VH1 or MTV2 or VH1 classic to show the concert. There is no reason why MTV2 or VH1 classic should be showing their regular programming on a day like this.

This reminds me way too much of the bad old days of the Olympics when most of the coverage was "Up close and personal." or mindless features about the host country and no coverage of the events themselves.

Kuizelemartz
07-02-2005, 05:03 PM
I just want to see Pink Floyd. I don't think I've missed them. I can't get the AOL streaming video to work. Arghhhh

randwill
07-02-2005, 05:05 PM
This VH1 / MTV "coverage" is terrible!

Nothing but these people I never heard of telling me how wonderful and amazing the performances are and interviews with audience members saying how fantastic and incredible it is.

Shut the fuck up you prattling nobodies!!

Show us some music!

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Is there another online feed available, the AOL site is not working. :(

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 05:49 PM
And finally, Pink Floyd!

zoog
07-02-2005, 05:55 PM
And finally, Pink Floyd!

And boy, is the AOL feed having problems! I think they broke the internet.

or maybe it's just me...

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 05:58 PM
1. It's finally working for me

2. MTV/VH1 had the sense not to cut it.

AmericanMaid
07-02-2005, 06:04 PM
My God... Pink Floyd is perfection! Excellent song choices - classics.

dalej42
07-02-2005, 06:05 PM
I like the Floyd reunion. Hopefully, the entire set will be part of the DVD.

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Well, not really a good sense, since they cut it again towards the end. Bastrads! ;)

Jake
07-02-2005, 06:21 PM
In my humble opinion, all thats going to happen is that there's going to be a certain awareness by the political leaders in Africa. I hope the political system down there will make a diference.

Marley23
07-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Still, the MTV babble produced one moment that had me near tears.

VJ1: "I saw some European fans who all had shirts on that said 'Pink Floyd is back.'
VJ2: "Truer words were never written... on a t-shirt."

dalej42
07-02-2005, 06:38 PM
And boy, is the AOL feed having problems! I think they broke the internet.

or maybe it's just me...

Not until Paul McCartney. I finally had feed problems during, "The Long and Winding Road."

DiosaBellissima
07-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Mr. Wonder...wow. The best I've seen so far.

But- for the love of God- WHY DID THEY TALK OVER HIS PERFORMANCE??

Marley23
07-02-2005, 06:42 PM
They said we'll be able to rewatch this, right? I can't seem to skip forward through it. I want to see Audioslave in Berlin, and maybe more of Green Day... their set seemed energetic.

Revtim
07-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Didn't Russia have their own concert during Live Aid?Yes, but concert watched you!

Ms Boods
07-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Just finished the London version here...BBC has switched to Philadelphia; can someone tell us who is currently on stage in Philadelphia, at about 7pm local time (US eastern) -- thanks!

zoog
07-02-2005, 06:55 PM
They said we'll be able to rewatch this, right? I can't seem to skip forward through it. I want to see Audioslave in Berlin, and maybe more of Green Day... their set seemed energetic.

I think that they're supposed to keep the performances online through the summer for free, on-demand streaming access, if I understood them correctly. I thought I heard something earlier today about being able to download them permanently for a fee, but they said that they won't be making it available for sale through normal commercial channels.

I only caught a replay of one Green Day tune, and I'd like to see the rest of that set, too.

zoog
07-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Not until Paul McCartney. I finally had feed problems during, "The Long and Winding Road."

My feed finally settled down about halfway through the Floyd set, and I didn't have any trouble at all after that.

KarlGrenze
07-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Nice end of the London feed, with Hey Jude!

vibrotronica
07-02-2005, 07:22 PM
MTV sucks.

Ms Boods
07-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Never mind -- found out it was the Kaiser Chiefs; the BBC is running the Philadelphia show from start to finish, and kicked off at midnight with the beginning of the US show.

Carm6773
07-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Lowlights:

- Toby Keith. WTF?

Ack! I was at work and missed it. I taped the whole day because I thought this would happen. I'm too lazy to rewind the tape and find it. Can someone send me a link?

Antigen
07-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Yes, but concert watched you!

I applaud you, sir. That was beautiful.

Hoops
07-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Is it possible that licensing/royalty fees prevented MTV from broadcasting more than a fraction of the performances in their entirety?

(Or to put it less charitably, did they decline to do so on the grounds that it would cut into their ad revenue?)

Dark Side of the Floyd
07-02-2005, 11:47 PM
I can't be the only person who finds Bob Geldof's voice insanely sexy. :dubious:

Crandolph
07-03-2005, 02:53 AM
I was there today (Philadelphia). Awesome. Very good time despite the heat and I think the city has acquited itself well.

I suppose if anyone has any specific Qs about how the show was or what it was like you can ask in the thread.

Richard Pearse
07-03-2005, 07:31 AM
I was unable to see any of it. All I wanted to see was Pink Floyd. So tell me, what songs did they play and did Roger and Dave have a punch up on stage or did they get along politely? :)

Dark Side of the Floyd
07-03-2005, 08:02 AM
I watched, fully expecting a band-brawl, but they played Money, Comfortably Numb, and..er... Breathe, I think. Didn't get to see Comfortably Numb or Breathe, thanks to the shitty ABC coverage.

Phish Head
07-03-2005, 08:05 AM
I was unable to see any of it. All I wanted to see was Pink Floyd. So tell me, what songs did they play and did Roger and Dave have a punch up on stage or did they get along politely? :)

MTV showed Breathe, Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb

KarlGrenze
07-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Yea, and that was their set, although they started talking again towards the end of it (the MTV VJs).

Richard Pearse
07-03-2005, 08:08 AM
The TV station I'm watching now is promoting a highlights package to be shown after 60mins tonight, hopefully they'll have PF on that.

I would like to see Comfortably Numb in particular. It is a song whose major strength is the counterpoint between Waters' dry voice on the verse and Gilmours incredibly uplifting and pure vocals on the chorus. The various solo/post-waters'-PF versions don't campare IMO.

Richard Pearse
07-03-2005, 08:11 AM
MTV showed Breathe, Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb

Thanks.

About time you became a member isn't it Phish Head? This board could do with some more jam-band fans :).

Cat Jones
07-03-2005, 08:45 AM
I can't be the only person who finds Bob Geldof's voice insanely sexy. :dubious:Actually, yes, yes you can ;)

Another low - Mariah "the queen diva" Carey.
After her first song the classic "Can I get a mike stand ? I know I said I didn't need one but I lied." shortly followed by the immortal words "I'd like to sing you my new song..." :confused:

In London at least Madonna and Robbie Williams saved the day, they came on - got the crowd bopping with well chosen songs and left us wanting more - Coldplay in contrast were just dreary.

Uncontested High Point - Like Hippy Hollow I remember Live Aid - the moment when David Bowie introduced a video shot, IIRC, by a couple of Canadians of two or three starving children in Ethiopia accompanied by The Cars 'Drive', the audience in tears afterwards ... well I was in tears again yesterday when Bob Geldof introduced the same video, stayed on stage watching it then "I don't think we clap after that do we? That child had 10 minutes to live. Two weeks ago she passed her agricultural exams ..." the most beautiful young African lady came onto the stage "... don't let them tell you it doesn't work!". The cynical may say this was overly sentimental, exploitative even - and it's true Madonna should have left the poor lass leave the stage earlier - but it was human and powerful.

da_pope
07-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Pink Floyd did Breathe, Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb, in that order.

Roger was having a difficult time singing on pitch until the second verse of comfortably numb, even his backups were shaky. Although he mimed most of the words to the songs as David sung them, had a smile on his face, and looked like he was having a genuinely good time. David was all serious, although I caught a couple of grins between him and Nick.

Rick Wright got 0 camera time until the last song, as if the camera men/producer thought he was just a sideman.

After the set, they all came stage front and locked arms, (from left to right), David, Roger, Nick, Rick. It looked like everyone was happy with each other.

Not the best set, I wasn't impressed with the song choice, and it was very rough around the edges, with some missed cues by all, nick losing his place once or twice, and some really bad vocals.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.