PDA

View Full Version : good upbeat male song

remisser
08-14-2005, 03:04 AM
I need a good upbeat male vocal song to sing for my audition for, yes... American Idol. Something reserved and not too "out there" or high pitched. Any suggestions?

Otto
08-14-2005, 03:15 AM
I'm sorry, I can't in good conscience assist anyone in continuing the abomination that is American Idol. I realize my refusal to offer suggestions for audition songs is hardly going to bring Ryan Seacrest to his knees (not like Ryan needs much encouragement to go to his knees) but I do what little I can.

devilsknew
08-14-2005, 04:36 AM
This might not meet your requirements, but if you can pull it off I've always thought Crazy Love as done by Aaron Neville (originally Van Morrison) would make a great audition song if you can nail it.

Muffin
08-14-2005, 05:58 AM
How about the Nine Men song from Heap of Trouble? http://zed.cbc.ca/go?POS=2&CONTENT_ID=2365&c=contentPage Or is that too inclusionary?

rayh
08-14-2005, 06:56 AM
You could always try Stuck in the Middle by Gerry Rafferty.

or Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel

or do what one of the contestents did on the British version
Oops, I did it Again

twickster
08-14-2005, 07:08 AM
I Wear My Heart on My Sleeve by Bryan Ferry

Inigo Montoya
08-14-2005, 07:19 AM
Short Skirt & a Long Jacket, by Cake.

Slam dunk. Remember me when you're famous.

Quartz
08-14-2005, 08:43 AM
My Heart is Inditing by GF Handel.

Ludovic
08-14-2005, 10:48 AM
by "Male Song" I thought you meant a cock-rock anthem, which would be interesting to put into AI for a change. The most upbeat, non misogynistic Male Song I know would have to be Red Barchetta by Rush, although it just may be too high pitched for you ;)

Bearflag70
08-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Rio by Duran Duran

Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party
08-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Sonnet by The Verve.

Walloon
08-14-2005, 03:57 PM
What's your vocal range: tenor, baritone?

Van Morrison, Moondance
The Beatles, Mother Nature's Son
Keith Carradine, I'm Easy
Nat 'King' Cole, L-O-V-E
Queen, Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Robert Palmer, Every Kinda People*
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas* (surprise them!)
Frank Sinatra, The More I See You
Peter Frampton, Show Me the Way

* The ones I would do.

Walloon
08-14-2005, 04:03 PM
P.S. Don't forget to write back and tell us what you sang for your audition.

Thudlow Boink
08-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Knock 'em dead with the best-ever rendition of "99 Bottles of Beer On the Wall."

whatmove
08-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I've had good audition experiences with Hook by Blues Traveler.

saoirse
08-14-2005, 09:21 PM
I Wear My Heart on My Sleeve by Bryan Ferry

I was going to recommend "Avalon" from the Roxy Music album Avalon.

remisser
08-14-2005, 11:23 PM
I have pretty good range, the only issue is the type of music I'm most comfortable with singing are older styles LIKE van morrison (good selection, moondance is.) The only problem with that is they'll say my style is too old fashioned. Keep in mind I'll be dressed up in full gothic regalia since I'm an industrial rocker type. ;) I'll definitely tell you how the audition goes and what song I end up singing (I'll need to have two songs as alternates as well, I've been told.) If anything it'll be an... experience. To say the least.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Dark Side of the Floyd
08-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Rio by Duran Duran.

Robot Arm
08-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling
Lawyers, Guns and Money by Warren Zevon
The Devil in Me by John Wesley Harding
Ana Ng by They Might Be Giants

remisser
08-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Rio by Duran Duran.

A second vote for that song? guess I'll have to actually listen to the song now.

remisser
08-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling
Lawyers, Guns and Money by Warren Zevon
The Devil in Me by John Wesley Harding
Ana Ng by They Might Be Giants

Lawyers, Guns and Money is a good song... I'll definitely put it as one of my alternates at the least. :)

picunurse
08-15-2005, 06:39 AM
If not The Man Song (http://www.pwwhite.com/mansong.swf),
then How about paul Simon's You CanCall Me Al or The 59th Street Bridge Song (otherwise known as "Feelin' Groovy")
Or Maybe I Can't Get Started (with You)

Raguleader
08-15-2005, 06:49 AM
I'd say "Science Fiction Double Feature" or any number of other RHPS by Richard O'Brien

phungi
08-15-2005, 08:22 AM
if you have watched the show, which I imagine you have, then you know that it is more important to sing a song well at auditions then it is to sing a the perfect song.

Pick the song you know the best, feel most comfortable with, and don't worry about what genre or category it is in...

FWIW, I think wearing "The Official Straight Dope" T-shirt would be an excellent idea...

koeeoaddi
08-15-2005, 09:12 AM
"What a Wonderful World" for optimism and those critical vocal gymnastics.
"The Letter" by the Boxtops would work if you have a grittier voice.
And "Chin up, Cheer" up by Ryan Adams is as sunny as can be.

Or, if you're up to it, why not kill 'em with "Break on Through" by the Doors?

Madd Maxx
08-15-2005, 10:48 AM
"Closer" NIN. While staring at Paula Abdul. Especially during the chorus. At least you'd make it on the worst auditions show.

Robot Arm
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Lawyers, Guns and Money is a good song... I'll definitely put it as one of my alternates at the least.After I posted that, I started to have second thoughts. I mean, it is a good song, but it's just two verses and a bridge, and then it trails away for the whole second half of the song. There isn't really much there to show off your talent in a competition.

Plenty of other good Zevon to choose from.

Bomzaway
08-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Rio by Duran Duran

Just kidding....

New Song by Howard Jones

cmkeller
08-15-2005, 02:25 PM
remisser:

A second vote for that song? guess I'll have to actually listen to the song now.

Don't take them too seriously. Rio by Duran Duran has become something of an in-joke on the SDMB.

How about "Pressure" by Billy Joel?

astro
08-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Stout-Hearted Men (http://www.lyricscrawler.com/song/106930.html)

Bearflag70
08-16-2005, 10:17 AM
remisser:

Don't take them too seriously. Rio by Duran Duran has become something of an in-joke on the SDMB.

How about "Pressure" by Billy Joel?

Hey, I was being serious. :p

Sampiro
08-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Another Saturday Night

or

Mack the Knife (it got hits for Bobby Darrin, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong and others and it's very upbeat)

remisser
08-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Three Dog Night's version of "Old Fashioned Love Song" (not many people seem to know it was originally an Paul Williams tune) is one song I'm mulling over as well.

Sierra Indigo
08-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Mack the Knife (it got hits for Bobby Darrin, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong and others and it's very upbeat)

The Robbie Williams version makes my pants happy :D I'll second that one.

I'd like to see someone sing "Michael" by Franz Ferdinand. That's a pretty upbeat song, IMHO.

Robbie Williams also did a pretty cool song called "Old Before I Die" (I don't know if it's a cover, but I like him doing it). It's really nice and upbeat as well.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.