PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West monkey wrenches Concert for Relief

Otto
09-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Flipping through channels a few minutes ago I alight on the Concert for Hurricane Relief. Just in time to see Mike Myers and Kanye West doing what was obviously supposed to be a scripted bit between acts. Mike does his lines, something about with the levees broken the landscape of NO is changed possibly forever. West went right off-script. He started off by blasting the media for supposedly calling black people taking stuff from stores "looting" and calling white people doing the same thing "looking for food." After another minute or so, an increasingly uncomfortable Myers goes back to his next speech, which made no sense because West refused to provide the set-up. Back to West, who got as far into his next rant as "George Bush doesn't care about black people" before NBC cut to another black guy (who I didn't recognize) with and extremely uncomfortable look on his face, who was totally forced into "all us black folks don't believe like that" damage control mode.

Shit like that is why I love live TV. Kinda reminded me of Jerry Lewis back in the day, when he was doing the whole telethon live and would hit somewhere around 3 AM and go completely off the rails.

Little Nemo
09-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Kanye West was just reminding America that during this time of trouble we shouldn't let our temporary concern for disaster victims divert us from what's really important in our lives - celebrities. They're the ones who really need our constant attention.

La Llorona
09-02-2005, 08:05 PM
:D

I love Kanye, I really do.

Did you see the MTV special wherein he talks about how much he loves gay people? Rough paraphrase:

"The hip-hop culture as a whole is really down on gay people. But then I found out that my cousin was gay, and I realized that I love my cousin. So I'm saying this on TV in the hope that my message gets out to all the rappers: stop hating on gay people!"

Kind of makes me sad because that's really idealistic in an egotistical kind of way, this notion that if he just makes his thoughts about important issues known to the general public, then people will hark and change their wicked ways.

Kanye, man, don't ever change. :)

Little Nemo
09-02-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm amused by the exorbitant credit West is being given for Jesus Walks. It's like he gave Christianity a helping hand by extending his personal endorsement.

La Llorona
09-02-2005, 10:02 PM
::cackles evilly::

Oh man, just go read comments on Amazon for Kanye's new album, Late Registration (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009WPKY0/qid=1125716596/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-0099746-8650545?v=glance&s=music). People there are all in a lather:

The president is only one man and everyone is doing all he can to put together the forces it takes to get the people out of the flooded areas. Please think before you speak (Kanye) and think before you buy from someone who would totally disgrace the president in a terrible time of need. Talk about it on your own time, Kanye, not when America is a time of crisis.

there is NEVER a wrong time to tell the truth.

i'm goin out to buy kanye's albums first thing tomorrow because of what he did.

Don't hate him for telling the TRUTH about what is going on in the world today.

Cop this album ASAP!

Much LOVE

Oh, man. The crazy, it burns. :)

And Little Nemo, you're right about "Jesus Walks." It totally cracks me up that in a song that is about, you know, Jesus, he manages to fit in the line, "Somebody tell these n*****s who Kanye West is" and makes the comment that since he's rapping on a religious topic, his album probably won't be as profitable, but he has high hopes that it will "take away from [his] sins" and presumably help him get into heaven.

I say this as a fan of the guy, mind you...

Casey1505
09-02-2005, 10:06 PM
So he would have been in a real pickle if it were gay black men taking all the guns and ammo from the Wal-Marts, huh?

I hope he enjoyed his 15 minutes, because I would guess that they are just about over.

That was Chris Tucker who was put in the uncomfprtable position of trying to right the ship. He didn't understand the words that were coming out of Kanye's mouth, either.

Hippy Hollow
09-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Man, that was hilarious... and a little sad. It's clear Kanye was upset, but he flew right off the rails. It was like watching the shy kid in your class give the speech as he runs for class vice president. The stammering, the lack of focus... methinks Kanye should have gone ahead and wrote some note cards before hitting the air.

Where can I get a shirt that says "George Bush Hates Black People?"

Mike Myers' face was priceless. As was Chris Tucker's.

Mehitabel
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
I couldn't believe what I was seeing, although I'd missed the intro and didn't know who the guy was next to Mike Myers. I don't entirely agree with him--nothing's that simple--but I think he felt it needed to be said and he seemed scared of what he was saying as he said it.

Myers and Tucker obviously had producers screaming in their ears or a director gesturing frantically at them next to the cameras they were staring at like jacklighted deer; both recovered nicely, Tucker after a few "WTF?" blinks. I don't know how far across the studio he was from the other duo and perhaps he didn't know what was going on at all.

What I want to know is if this little segment will be repeated in the West Coast airing--left coast Dopers, front and center please! NBC of course is screwed--if they Air the Inflammatory Comments when it's not live, they catch hell, if they cut it out, they're Censoring The Black Man, and they catch hell.

Lovely music, though.

Casey1505
09-02-2005, 11:01 PM
On a replay on CNBC, the first part of West's rant was aired while the "George Bush hates black people" opinion and immediate cut to Tucker was replaced with a graphic and audio was edited out.

Little Nemo
09-02-2005, 11:50 PM
The worst part is that Kanye West isn't an idiot. He's a talented musician who just failed to realize there is a time when an individual needs to step back out of the limelight and let something else be the center of attention. Regardless of his personal beliefs, or even the possible truth of those beliefs, the reason he was supposed to be there for was to help encourage efforts for disaster relief. It was not a time to start a debate on American race relationships.

Marley23
09-03-2005, 02:05 AM
He said some really stupid shit at Live 8, too. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=323813) I don't care about this guy in the first place, but he should tone down this public ranting crap.

RancidYakButterTeaParty
09-03-2005, 06:39 AM
Kanye's tirade was dispicable, plain and simple. The point of last night's program was for Kanye to volunteer his incredible recognition to help raise support for people who are in so much need. It takes a real jackass to start politicking during a disaster relief concert.

Kanye loves to get his "message" out as La Llorona stated above. I'm glad he isn't spreading around hate or anything, or causing racial tension in an already sensitive situation. I would hate to see someone take the opportunity to help people and turn it into a personal promotion in any way. All he wanted was to cause controversy so he could boost record sales.

This guy is a complete idiot, and I hope he suffers (as an artist) for the bile that was pouring out of his mouth last night.

Thudlow Boink
09-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Okay, I keep seeing this guy's name all over the place and wondering how it's pronounced. Is it "Kan" as in "Kal-Kan" + "ye" as in "O Come All Ye Faithful," or something else?

Askia
09-03-2005, 10:54 AM
51% sure it's KON-YAY West.

Hey, It's That Guy!
09-03-2005, 11:04 AM
100% sure you're right.

middleman
09-03-2005, 11:16 AM
His name is kind of confusing. He should change it so it doesn't get between him and his fans.

Sam Stone
09-03-2005, 01:04 PM
The worst part of that rant was that he torpedoed the efforts of a lot of people. That HAD to have an effect on contributions last night. I'd be interesting in seeing a graph showing how much money was collected in the time before that speech vs the time after.

He struck me as someone who has more opinions than brain cells. Up until now, I just thought he was incredibly arrogant. Now I know he's both arrogant and stupid.

Askia
09-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Sam Stone. I think anyone thinks that people would, en masse, withhold contributions to people in need just to spite one goofball on TV who ranted at a slow moving president need a reality check.

Hey, It's That Guy!
09-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Whether he's an idiot or an asshole or an egomaniac (and he may very likely be all three), I have to admit he's one of the most interesting and innovative song-crafters right now. I have loved everything I've heard that he has written, produced, and rapped on, and most hip-hop these days leaves me cold. I wish people could separate the art from the artist, because Kanye really is a great talent, and I always enjoy hearing new stuff from him.

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
09-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Whether he's an idiot or an asshole or an egomaniac (and he may very likely be all three), I have to admit he's one of the most interesting and innovative song-crafters right now. I have loved everything I've heard that he has written, produced, and rapped on, and most hip-hop these days leaves me cold.

Sounds like you need to listen to more hip hop. ;)

Hey, It's That Guy!
09-03-2005, 01:46 PM
I like Kanye, Jurassic 5, Outkast, Kool Keith and all his various identities, Deltron 3030, and most old-school stuff from the '80s and early '90s (especially Dre and Snoop in their primes). But you can't deny most mainstream hip-hop and R&B that gets played on the radio is generic at best and horrible music at worst.

HelloKitty
09-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I thought it was funny how he said "I have calls into my manager to see how much money I can give..." :rolleyes:

It was also funny watching Mike Myers squirm. I didn't even realize cutting away to Chris Tucker was their "bale-out".

Kanye's only point well taken was at the beginning where he said they have shown "blacks as looters" and "whites as looking for food". He was right about that. The rest of his ranting was pretty non-sensical and embarrassing.

:wally

Sampiro
09-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Here's the video (http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79) for anybody who hasn't seen it. Ironically, there's something more refreshing about Kanye that there is about Myers's "insert fake sincerity here" reading of the teleprompter.

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
09-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I like Kanye, Jurassic 5, Outkast, Kool Keith and all his various identities, Deltron 3030, and most old-school stuff from the '80s and early '90s (especially Dre and Snoop in their primes).

That's some good stuff, but you're barely, barely scratching the surface. Maybe a new thread is in order? ;)

But you can't deny most mainstream hip-hop and R&B that gets played on the radio is generic at best and horrible music at worst.

I think that that's true of every genre of music, but that in recent years, a lot of mainstream rap has gotten interesting and weird and creative and great, which it hasn't been for about 20 years. David Banner, Mike Jones (his debut album, "Who is mike jones?" is probably going to be my #1 of the year, regardless of mainstream/indie and genre), Lil John's productions, the Neptunes having moved into their "cubist" period, the Ying Yang Twins' "intimate club" movement, producers like Just Blaze, Scott Storch, Kwame, Ghostface working with Madlib and MF Doom (just unprecedented; would have been unheard of five years ago), Little Brother breaking through due to 9th Wonder's producing for Jay-Z and other big james...there's a lot going on for the first time in quite a while.

Sampiro
09-03-2005, 02:20 PM
New this Summer from NBC: Art Linkletter Productions and Mark Burnett present "CELEBRITIES SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS" with your host Carson Daly!

ExTank
09-03-2005, 04:08 PM
The worst part of that rant was that he torpedoed the efforts of a lot of people. That HAD to have an effect on contributions last night. I'd be interesting in seeing a graph showing how much money was collected in the time before that speech vs the time after.

He struck me as someone who has more opinions than brain cells. Up until now, I just thought he was incredibly arrogant. Now I know he's both arrogant and stupid.

NBC has long made it clear that they have nothing to say to me as a straight, moderately conservative, middle-class, gun-owning, mid-westerner; providing a venue for people like West just confirms it. I'm glad I get to read about stuff like this after-the-fact rather than experience it.

But no amount of public jackassery by the networks would inhibit my giving a donation to the Katrina Relief Fund, and I'd really like to think that Americans are better people than to let one bad messenger put them off from what is so obviously a worthy cause.

DiosaBellissima
09-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Oh, how I hate Kanye West--- he is a giant, loud-mouthed Neuticle.

It hurts too, because I like his music. "Through the Wire," "Jesus Walks," "Gold Digger," etc are all awesome songs, but he ruins my opinion of him (which breaks his heart, I'm sure :p ) by opening his stupid yap.

I hear he has a new song/video out that talks about how awful blood diamonds and all that are*. "Wonderful," thinks I, "Most people don't realize what is going on over there and how awful the diamond trade really is. Maybe Kayne West isn't a giant, loud-mouthed Neuticle who throws a temper trantrum when he loses at an awards show." Yeah, I was wrong.

Some gems from "Diamonds from Sierra Leon":
If you a stripper named Porscha and u get tips from many men
Then your fat friend her nickname is Minivan
Excuse me,
That's just the Henny, man, I smoke, I drink, I'm supposed to stop I can't because...

Then he goes into the hook: "Diamonds are forever...blah blah"

I was sick about awards
Couldn't nobody cure me
Only playa that got robbed but kept all his jewelry
Alicia Keys tried to talk some sense to them
30 minutes later seems there's no convincing them
What more can you ask for?
The international awards? nah
Who complains about when he is old?
And throw a tantrum like he is 3 years old

Yeah, that's pretty much the only mention of anything resembling diamonds (in the song). But, hey! The video shows kids working in diamond mines! And um, the end says blood diamonds are bad! Oh but wait, Kayne's still sporting his bling-bling in the video. Oh what's that? He just came out with a horribly tacky line of $50,000, diamond encrusted Jesus heads? Seems hypocritical, but who am I to judge such a noble advocate of African rights? :rolleyes:

Oh how I hate Kanye West. This latest event just adds to my stewing hatred.

* Apparently, some producer pulled him aside and taught him all about the diamonds trade (in one sitting). Because of this, he became enraged by what people are going through in Sierra Leon (I'll admit, that's reasonable). Anyone wanna take a bet on whether or not Mr. West can even point out Sierra Leon on a map?

Askia
09-03-2005, 04:11 PM
ExTank. How is this jackassery by NBC if Kayne West deviated from the script for a minute and thirty seconds?

ExTank
09-03-2005, 04:15 PM
:smack: preview is my friend, but I haven't talked to him lately.

That should be "...on the networks..."

Stephe96
09-03-2005, 04:25 PM
That video is funnier than anything I've seen on Saturday Night Live in the past five years.

Casey1505
09-03-2005, 05:04 PM
There's not much that isn't... :D

Carnac the Magnificent!
09-03-2005, 05:25 PM
His rant was intended to boost his street cred among his demographic. It obviously played well with many.

middleman
09-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Sam Stone. I think anyone thinks that people would, en masse, withhold contributions to people in need just to spite one goofball on TV who ranted at a slow moving president need a reality check.

The longer you watch, the more likely you are to give. I could see MANY people turning the channel with this little rant. THAT does have an impact on giving.

I think this punk cared more about his "street cred" and looking tough than helping some poor people.

Askia
09-03-2005, 05:37 PM
"Street cred."

Uh-huh.

Otto
09-03-2005, 05:51 PM
NBC has long made it clear that they have nothing to say to me as a straight, moderately conservative, middle-class, gun-owning, mid-westerner; providing a venue for people like West just confirms it.
If you can spare a moment from beating your breast in lamentation over the lack of programming choices for you on NBC, could you look here (http://www.nbc.com/NBC_First_Look/fallschedule/) and indicate (with specifics) which shows are indicative of the abandonment of your demographic?

Sam Stone
09-03-2005, 06:25 PM

No, I don't think that people en masse would turn off the show because of that. But people on the margins might. And it's those people you're really trying to reach.

ExTank
09-03-2005, 06:34 PM
If you can spare a moment from beating your breast in lamentation over the lack of programming choices for you on NBC, could you look here (http://www.nbc.com/NBC_First_Look/fallschedule/) and indicate (with specifics) which shows are indicative of the abandonment of your demographic?

There's not a lot of lamenting going on here; in fact, none at all. Other channels have since captured my interest. FWIW, I don't have a fuckload of use for ABC, CBS, or FOX, either. If you love NBC, good for you; long may you watch it.

But let's not get into a pissing match over my passing commentary about one network, when the gist of my message was essentially that, regardless of network, or presentation, donations to Katrina Victim Relief Funds are good things.

Chefguy
09-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Where can I get a shirt that says "George Bush Hates Black People?"

Mike Myers' face was priceless. As was Chris Tucker's.

He didn't say that. He said "George Bush doesn't care about black people." I doubt that he hates them, but I'm fairly certain he doesn't give a rat's ass about them.

Otto
09-03-2005, 07:00 PM
If you love NBC, good for you; long may you watch it.
I have no particular love for NBC; I'm not sure I even watch any of its programming (although I watch a few things on its cable station, Bravo).

But I don't feel like NBC, through its programming choices, is thumbing its nose at me or my demographic. You made the rather bizarre assertion that straight white males with guns are not welcome at NBC and in between bouts of eye rolling and eyebrow raising at the idea of a network with not one but four versions of Law & Order has something against straight white men with guns, I'm genuinely curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion.

But let's not get into a pissing match over my passing commentary about one network, when the gist of my message was essentially that, regardless of network, or presentation, donations to Katrina Victim Relief Funds are good things.
That was your gist? Huh.

La Llorona
09-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the only mention of anything resembling diamonds (in the song). But, hey! The video shows kids working in diamond mines! And um, the end says blood diamonds are bad! Oh but wait, Kayne's still sporting his bling-bling in the video. Oh what's that? He just came out with a horribly tacky line of $50,000, diamond encrusted Jesus heads? Seems hypocritical, but who am I to judge such a noble advocate of African rights? :rolleyes:

To be entirely fair, DiosaBellisima, that's only one version of "Diamonds from Sierra Leone." I'm not sure which is the single, but this one (http://www.lyricstop.com/d/diamondsfromsierraleoneremix-kanyewestfjay-z.html) (warning: there may be popups; I have so many popup blockers that I have no way of telling) is the one that comes first on the album and is slightly better on the caring-for-people-dying front and contains the (I think!) interesting line,

Good morning! This ain't Vietnam, still
People lose hands, legs, arms for real

And am I a really horrible person for giggling just a little bit at the rhyming of "harmless" and "armless"?

Stephe96
09-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Not to be insensitive or anything, but is Kanye West borderline retarded or something? I swear he sounds just like that Eddie Murphy character on "SNL" who used to say, "They learned me real good. They can learn you real good, too."

Hmmmm. And he sounds a lot like that guy in Office Spacewho was pretending to be retarded so he could sell more magazine subscriptions.

Anyone?

Good Egg
09-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Has Mike Myers had "work" done? It looks like it. Tucker did a great look, truly, a fine actor.
I loved how (I forget what channel I saw it on) showed it, and then had a live shot of Jesse Jackson, whom they asked,"Does Bush not care about blacks?" Jesse paused, then said "If so, he doesn't show it." Good old Jesse.

DiosaBellissima
09-03-2005, 10:44 PM
La Llorona is that the version played on MTV? On the radio the call it "Diamonds from Sierra Leon" and it is the version I posted. Either way, Kanye West is still and always will be a giant douche in my book (a douche who just happens to make catchy songs).

Here is his quote (for those who can't watch or listen):

"I hate the way they portray us in the media. We see a black family that says they're looting. We see a white family that says they're looking for food & you know it's been five days because most of the people are black & even for me to complain about I would be a hyprocrite because I try to turn away from the TV because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what's the biggest amount that I can give. And just to imagine if I was down there, those are my people down there, so anybody out there that wants to do anything with the setup the way America is setup to help the poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. I mean the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize that a lot of the people that can help are at war right now fighting another way and they've given them permission to go down & shoot us."

And someone asked for shirts? Check out Ebay. Links keep going up and Ebay keeps taking them down, but- from what I've seen- the shirts are pretty funny (the photos they are using, etc.)

ExTank
09-03-2005, 11:02 PM
You made the rather bizarre assertion that straight white males with guns are not welcome at NBC...

No, I didn't. Reread my post.

...and in between bouts of eye rolling and eyebrow raising at the idea of a network with not one but four versions of Law & Order has something against straight white men with guns, I'm genuinely curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion.

Well, since you've completely misinterpreted what I said in order to pick a political fight, I'm not going to justify your right to question my opinion with an answer.

That was your gist? Huh.

Try reading.

In context, my post was a response to Sam Stone's, which I'll again quote here for your benefit:

To which I replied:

NBC has long made it clear that they have nothing to say to me as a straight, moderately conservative, middle-class, gun-owning, mid-westerner; providing a venue for people like West just confirms it. I'm glad I get to read about stuff like this after-the-fact rather than experience it.

But no amount of public jackassery by the networks would inhibit my giving a donation to the Katrina Relief Fund, and I'd really like to think that Americans are better people than to let one bad messenger put them off from what is so obviously a worthy cause.

I direct your attention to the second sentence; you know, the one you failed to read the first time around. Askia called me on my post, and I saw how the misuse of a certain preposition (when composing replies to posts, I sort of shotgun thoughts into a separate window, then Frankenpost them together, which occasionaly results in less-than-optimal communication of what I really wanted to say unless I preview and proofread a couple of times) was really not the best choice of words, and I amended. The second sentence should now read:

"But no amount of public jackassery on the networks would inhibit my giving a donation to the Katrina Relief Fund, and I'd really like to think that Americans are better people than to let one bad messenger put them off from what is so obviously a worthy cause."

A slight, but significant change.

I consider the matter closed. If you want to talk about the target demographic of NBC (stated, and as perceived by me) some more, go for it. Just don't do it with me, here, in this thread.

Otto
09-04-2005, 12:17 AM
No, I didn't. Reread my post.
Read it and re-read it, thanks. You said NBC had nothing to say to you because you're white, heterosexual male, middle class, conservative and you enjoy guns. I may have hyperbolized slightly in my response to your truly strange assertion that a major network has no interest in attracting and keeping people like you as viewers, but my point still stands that your acting like NBC programs its network in such a way as to "have nothing to say" to you because you're squarely in the majority is, to be charitable, odd.

Well, since you've completely misinterpreted what I said in order to pick a political fight, I'm not going to justify your right to question my opinion with an answer.
Fortunately for me I don't need straight white middle class conservative gun owners to justify my right to call BS on a dumb statement like NBC isn't interested in "saying anything" to you.

Try reading.
Try answering a fucking question and not being so goddamn sensitive about a little ribbing about a stupid comment.
I direct your attention to the second sentence; you know, the one you failed to read the first time around.
I read your shorter second sentence along with your longer and primary first sentence. I do so love when people who say dumb things and get called out on them start claiming that what they said was somehoe "out of context."
I consider the matter closed. If you want to talk about the target demographic of NBC (stated, and as perceived by me) some more, go for it. Just don't do it with me, here, in this thread.
Oh, sorry, you don't get to decide what I do or don't say in this or any other thread. If you can't or won't back up your ridiculous assertion that NBC has abandoned poor little you and your ilk, that's fine. You pretty much struck me as a drive-by kinda guy anyway.

La Llorona
09-04-2005, 10:17 AM
La Llorona is that the version played on MTV? On the radio the call it "Diamonds from Sierra Leon" and it is the version I posted.

In all honesty I have no idea, as I haven't got a television and very seldom listen to the radio. Maybe someone else knows?

La Llorona
09-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I haven't got a television

I should append to that statement that I do occasionally have access to a friend's television (in case someone leaps on me for having said that I watched the MTV special about Kanye and the gay-people-lovin').

C K Dexter Haven
09-04-2005, 09:11 PM
> TWEET < ::: Moderator blows whistle :::

Otto and Ex Tank, personal insults have no place in this forum. This particular thread seems to be about Kanye West. If you'd like to start a thread about network targetted-demographics, that's fine, go right ahead. If you'd like to take jabs at each other, go to the Pit.

I'm not going to waste time in figuring out "who started it" -- I am going to say that it ends now. OK?

Rilchiam
09-05-2005, 03:40 AM
"I hate the way they portray us in the media. We see a black family that says they're looting. We see a white family that says they're looking for food & you know it's been five days because most of the people are black & even for me to complain about I would be a hyprocrite because I try to turn away from the TV because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what's the biggest amount that I can give. And just to imagine if I was down there, those are my people down there, so anybody out there that wants to do anything with the setup the way America is setup to help the poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. I mean the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize that a lot of the people that can help are at war right now fighting another way and they've given them permission to go down & shoot us."

In all seriousness, that sounds like he was on something. I have no basis for saying that exceot for the above-quoted remarks, but it sure does sound like he was speeding so hard, he couldn't even complete a thought in his head, let alone out loud.

rjung
09-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I wonder how many people dissing Mr. West would have said the same thing if he had deviated from the script with a "Give Bush some slack, people" tirade instead?

Marley23
09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
I wonder how many people dissing Mr. West would have said the same thing if he had deviated from the script with a "Give Bush some slack, people" tirade instead?
For that to really work, you'd need a comment that sounds as objectionable as "America and its President don't care if black people die." "Give Bush some slack" doesn't do that.

Larry Mudd
09-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I wonder how many people dissing Mr. West would have said the same thing if he had deviated from the script with a "Give Bush some slack, people" tirade instead?It would be be interesting to see if a rant that could be boiled down to "Give Bush some slack" could be phrased in such a way as to be so thoroughly divisive, alienated, and alienating. If the "us and them" that he based it on was (in bizarro-world) republicans versus democrats, and he claimed that people were dragging their heels because Louisiana's a red state, I don't really see how anyone could defend it, either.

The guy was there to raise money for relief efforts, and he went off on a tangent that couldn't be expected to help out there. It's not like he has no access to the media, otherwise.

Crikey -- even if he deviated from the script to say that he was a big fan of blueberry pie, it's way out of line. "Stay on target, moron!"

Casey1505
09-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Probably at least the same amount. He grabbed the spotlight which should have been shining on a way to help the victims, and turned it directly on himself, thinking that he and his ego would both fit.

He was an idiot for doing so, and I think he's being called out for not so much what he said, but when he chose to say it. There's a time and place, and that event was neither.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.