PDA

View Full Version : "Mad Money" on CNBC

furt
09-07-2005, 11:17 PM
I find myself oddly transfixed by this trainwreck of a TV show. Anyone else? Does anyone know if his advice is worth a damn? (Not that I have any money; just curious.)

D_Odds
09-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Trainwreck is right. I catch it only when commercials are on other channels and not on CNBC, and I'll watch maybe 10 minutes. I don't think I've ever heard him trash a stock. At worst, he'll say nice things, but some other stock is a better choice. I figured he can't talk bad about a company for liability (slander) issues, but it just may be that I haven't watched enough (and I doubt I will).

Trunk
09-08-2005, 07:56 AM
I've seen him throw the "bear" up on the screen a couple of times. I really like this guy's schtick. One wonders how edited the show is. I've never seen a company name surprise him. Aren't most "experts" on TV always bullish, though.

Gotta add. . .I have been receiving cable accidentally for about 10 days now and I'm finally being exposed to all these weird things I'd just heard of.

I'd never seen O'Reilly factor or Anderson Cooper. I had no idea who this Shepherd Smith tool is.

Right now it's all just this crazy crazy place to me with "stars" and "personalities" I don't know about. . .Dog?

furt
09-08-2005, 10:01 AM
I'd never seen O'Reilly factor or Anderson Cooper. I had no idea who this Shepherd Smith tool is. O'Reilly, America's favorite demogogue, is 8pm on FOX. Cooper is 8pm on CNN. Smith is not a tool (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/09/02.html#a4763).

Trunk
09-08-2005, 10:51 AM
O'Reilly, America's favorite demogogue, is 8pm on FOX. Cooper is 8pm on CNN. Smith is not a tool (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/09/02.html#a4763).
Who is Emeril?

Who is Dog?

Who is Carson Daly?

Who is Tucker Carlson?

Who is Jim Cantone? ?

Actually, I do know who most of these people are, but I think I felt better off when they couldn't be accessed through normal channel surfing. I find this whole cable TV landsacpe a bit unpalatable.

It makes me wonder what is the shortest list of people we could compose to be guaranteed that at least one of them is never 15 minutes away from being on the air. They're all just part of a big mess that I don't even want to try parse.

Gangster Octopus
09-08-2005, 10:58 AM
I happen to catch Mad Money at the gym once in while and al I can think about is, "If he is so smart about the market why does he need this TV gig?"

Icarus
09-08-2005, 11:18 AM
I happen to catch Mad Money at the gym once in while and al I can think about is, "If he is so smart about the market why does he need this TV gig?"

The Greed gene and the Narcissism gene are on two separate chromosomes.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.