PDA

View Full Version : So what are you (still) watching this fall?

Cat Fight
10-24-2005, 06:23 PM
I know we had one of these when the fall launches began, but what shows has everyone actually stuck with (new series or new seasons of old shows). I'll be on board with Arrested Development until the day it dies, and am crossing my fingers for Kitchen Confidential (which got exponentially better after the pilot episode, though the ratings are crap). I'm a big fan of Wentworth Mill- er, Prison Break, and catch My Name is Earl when I remember. But that's about it.
So, what's everyone else still into, and what have you given up on?

Otto
10-24-2005, 06:27 PM
I think Prison Break and Invasion are the only new things I've added to my viewing, and the latter pretty much only because it's on after Lost, I tape Lost every week and it's just as easy to tape two hours as it is one.

Oh, and I'm watching the new season of TAR but it's been around for several years. So it's new to me, but not new.

Love Rhombus
10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Supernatural I'm still taping. It just hasn't disappointed me yet. Boy, I'm an optimist....

Selkie
10-24-2005, 06:47 PM
After trying a lot of new stuff this season, the only new additions to the roster are Prison Break, Bones (purely for its mockability), and Rome. I'm trying to love Kitchen Confidental and Commander in Chief but neither is a must see show.

As for new seasons of existing shows, I'm back on board with Arrested Development after missing most of last season to a scheduling conflict. House is another I can't miss. Survivor, Lost, CSI, NCIS, and Desperate Housewives have all moved to "I'll try to catch them if I remember, but I'm not excited any more" status.

PapSett
10-24-2005, 06:49 PM
I watch very little TV as a whole. The only 2 shows I CAN'T miss are Surface and Will & Grace.

HPL
10-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm still watching Surface, and apparently they just picked it up for a full season.

ivylass
10-24-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm watching Rome and My Name is Earl. I'm still loyal to Housewives, CSI, Lost, and the first two Law and Orders.

Khadaji
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Things I actually like:

How I met your mother
My name is earl
The Night Stalker

Things I still watch:
Out of Practice
The Office
Joey

Kat
10-24-2005, 09:45 PM
My only can't-miss show is House. Other than that, I just wander in and out as my roommate controls the TV set. Of course, that's how I got addicted to House in the first place...

Forlorn
10-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Veronica Mars - best thing on TV, IMHO. Makes me laugh, makes me cry, makes me wish it was on every night. For like, two or three hours.

Lost - but they better come up with some exposition soon, I'm ready to take a flight to the island, crash, survive improbably, and start kickin' ass. That jungle monster? Is me. Enough, solve some of the mystery already. The enigma within a riddle wrapped up in a puzzle surrounded by WTF is getting old.

Rome - I'm fascinated by the accents - and any series that's not afraid to show dangly bits is alright by me (Mark Antony's, that is)! ;)

Survivor - season after season, it just doesn't get old to watch the sorting of the stupid from the stupider - I enjoy the physical challenges the best - it's amazing to see someone totally suck it up and overcome such grueling conditions (hat's off to ya, Amy, you're awesome, I hope you win)

The Biggest Loser - I'm fascinated at people with such mortifying body issues willing to get on national TV and wear tight gut-hugging spandex...and two-piece bathing suits, and be worked to death to lose seemingly impossible amounts of weight, by idiotic trainers who I wouldn't pay to show me how to tie my shoes. I cheer for the contestants, mostly, to succeed, unless you're Nick, and then I'm glad you didn't. AssTool.

Nip/Tuck - It's veering into jump-the-shark, but the little murder-mystery arc they have going through this season will keep me glued. Prefer The Shield, though, can't wait until it comes back after N/T goes on hiatus. Chiklis has balls the size of turnips, I love the tough-guy routine. He's hot.

Prison Break - I'm riveted - I think it's probably the best new show, and not just because FOX tells me so, every five minutes. I only watch it for Peter Stormare, anyway.

Watch TV, much? Yup!! :D

lavenderviolet
10-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Someone convinced me to give Arrested Development a chance this season and now I'm totally hooked on it. I think it's just about the funniest thing on TV right now. I'll be sooooo disappointed if it gets cancelled. :(

Last week I tuned into My Name is Earl for the first time and it was better than I expected, so I guess I'll probably start catching that regularly too.

AuntiePam
10-24-2005, 11:09 PM
The new shows I'm sticking with are My Name is Earl, Everybody Hates Chris, Martha's Apprentice, and Supernatural. Oh, and Killer Instinct, like Selkie, for the mockability factor.

I haven't watched Surface or Prison Break yet -- I'll catch them on reruns.

Watched but wasn't taken by Bones, Threshold, Night Stalker, and Invasion.

My son told me about an A&E show called The First 48. It follows real detectives as they try to solve crimes in the first 48 hours. One episode showed some detectives who were either really stupid or really lazy, or maybe I just expect too much after watching Law and Order.

A guy rented a car in Ohio and traveled to Miami to buy a kilo of cocaine using money he printed himself. He was found dead by his car. The detectives caught a break and found the guy who sold him the drugs. He lived 2 blocks from where the murder happened.

When he failed to confess, the detectives let him go. They made no attempt to trace the murder weapon and they didn't even search the guy's place for evidence. They just gave up when there was no confession. The case remains unsolved.

I guess the cops figured that if the victim was dumb enough to try and buy drugs with counterfeit money, he deserved what he got, but it was upsetting that they didn't try harder.

picunurse
10-25-2005, 01:41 AM
I try not to miss CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Crossing Jordan & NUM3ERS.
These have dropped off my list:
Law & Order C.I., I only watched it because I liked the team. I can't be bothered
to keep track of which team is on which week.
Actually, all the L&O clones have gotten boring IMO.
Monk was hit or miss to begin with, or maybe the novelty has worn off.
Will & Grace just went over th edge. Since they can't move on, I had to.
I liked The Closer this summer. Too short a season.

Hey, It's That Guy!
10-25-2005, 09:09 AM
I still love Arrested Development and The Office, and I always try to watch My Name Is Earl and Kitchen Confidential if I can. Also Family Guy if I'm around on Sunday nights, but I think I've seen them all by now. I look forward to the return of Scrubs, 24, and The Shield in January.

I still tune into Saturday Night Live, but just to snark on how awful it usually is. I can't think of many other shows with such talented casts that are so damn bad all the time.

Eleanor of Aquitaine
10-25-2005, 09:20 AM
All of mine have already been listed:
House
My Name Is Earl
Arrested Development
Rome

I'm looking forward to when Battlestar Galactica starts back up in January.

I meant to catch How I Met Your Mother. I haven't seen anyone on here raving about it, though.

Fear Itself
10-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Boston Legal Shatner cracks me up: "I've got the Mad Cow"
Two and a Half Men Snappy dialogue for a 30 minute sitcom: "In bed, she moves like the paint shaker at Sherwin Williams"
Medium I like the characters, and the spooky angle to crime solving.

RikWriter
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Still watching Surface, Supernatural, Invasion, Kolchak and Threshold, along with the returning shows NCIS, Lost and CSI.

scotandrsn
10-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Mondays: The CBS sitcom lineup.

King of Queens
How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men
Out of Practice (the weakest of the four, but not terrible)
My wife also likes Wife Swap (hmmmm.....)
I also get the Daily Show on four weeknights, and I'm still testing the waters on the Colbert Report

Tuesdays:
The Amazing Race
House
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Wednesdays:
I used to watch So You Think You Can Dance, but that's over.

Thursdays:
As soon as the World Series is over, it's back to Reunion, the anti-Friends!

Fridays:
Supernanny. And no, we don't take sides, we watch Nanny 911 too. We're both teachers, and we like to see mediocre parents called on the damage they do to their children. Guilty pleasures, what can we say?

Saturdays:
Cops
America's Most Wanted

Sundays:
Why Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is not on our TiVo, I don't know.
60 Minutes
We also watch the other news magazine shows, like 48 Hours and Dateline. I TiVo Meet the Press. One would think that after 58 seasons they would be fresh out of plotlines, but go figure.

Improv Geek
10-25-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm watching Las Vegas (I got into it during the off season, watching all past episodes in about 2 weeks). I also watch House, Grey's Anatomy (they're hot, what can I say?), Lost (watched last season, so it isn't new), I tivo Apprentice, and Survivor to watch at my leisure.

Cliffy
10-25-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm quite enjoying Threshold, which is more intelligent than it has a right to be.

--Cliffy

Trunk
10-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Sundays: Rome, Extras, Curb Your Enthusiasm

Mondays: Football

Tuesdays: Earl & The Office

Wednesdays: Lost

Thursdays: Nothing

Fridays: Bill Maher, One Night Stand

Saturdays: SNL

Great Pumpkin is on tonight, though. I think I'll be catching that.

John Mace
10-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Desperate Housewives
Rome (I'm liking this more and more as the season progresses)
Surface (Don't ask me why...)
Prison Break (pretty hokey, but I'll hang in at least until they escape)
Nip/Tuck (that Tues 10PM time slot on FX is good, although this is the worst of the troika)
Over There (pretty damn good show, again on FX)
Lost (can't get enough)
Invasion (getting better after a slow start)
Survivor (the only reality show worth watching)
CSI & W/O a Trace (sometimes)

Licentious Ectomorph
10-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Gah, why isn't anybody watching Alias? :(

Push You Down
10-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Of the new shows:

My Name is Earl
The Office (these two are just solid funny in two completely different ways)
Prison Break (The conspiracy plot is actually getting to be on par with the prison stuff in terms of excitement)
Supernatural (thanks to WBs replays on Sunday nights)

Will watch if I remember it is on:
Surface
Threshold
Twins
Related

amarinth
10-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Gah, why isn't anybody watching Alias? :(Because it the sucking became undeniable late last season and I couldn't make myself care enough to tune in this fall.

Plus, it's on opposite of Everybody Hates Chris (and Joey - which, as bad as it is, is still better than Alias)

From this season, I'm still watching My Name Is Earl and Everybody Hates Chris, and that's it. Nothing else really managed to keep my interest.

cbawlmer
10-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Monday: Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential
Tuesday: My Name is Earl, The Office, Bones (which isn't that great)
Wednesday: Lost, Veronica Mars
Thursday: Smallville
Saturday: Justice League Unlimited

On the other days I catch up on other random TiVoed stuff (mostly cooking shows, MXC, Adult Swim stuff, etc.) or DVDs.

We'll probably watch 24 when it starts, although it's on probation. Also looking forward to the new season of The Shield, whenever that starts.

Love Rhombus
10-25-2005, 02:34 PM
except JLU is gone, who knows when it shall return! :(

Honey
10-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Lost - I see I'm in very good company.
Rome - Like Helen of Troy, with her ass on fire!
Grey's Anatomy - Looks like I'm alone on this one.

JerH
10-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Of the old stuff, I'm still watching House and Arrested Development. I'll start watching Veronica Mars as soon as I've finished watching the season 1 DVD's. I also watch America's Next Top Model because I like to watch them mess with the contestants.

For the new stuff: I'm giving Kitchen Confidential a half-season trial. I'll flip to How I Met Your Mother if I remember it's on, those that'll stop soon if the main character doesn't stop being a whiny little bitch all the time.

That's about it.

iluvurmom
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I know we had one of these when the fall launches began, but what shows has everyone actually stuck with (new series or new seasons of old shows). I'll be on board with Arrested Development until the day it dies, and am crossing my fingers for Kitchen Confidential (which got exponentially better after the pilot episode, though the ratings are crap). I'm a big fan of Wentworth Mill- er, Prison Break, and catch My Name is Earl when I remember. But that's about it.
So, what's everyone else still into, and what have you given up on?

I happened upon the first episode of Prison Break and have been addicted ever since. That Wentworth Miller...is worth getting caught in a prison riot if you get to be in the air ducts with him trying to escape it.

Only Mostly Dead
10-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Agreed that How I Met Your Mother is surprisingly not only better than I thought it'd be (a very low estimation), but is actually good. It's gotten a Tivo Season Pass.

Commander In Chief is a laugh riot for the cheesy, melodramatic dialog that even two fine actors like Geena Davis and Donald Sutherland can't make sound halfway plausible (my favorite being "I work in an Oval Office, but I always feel cornered!")

Boston Legal is back, and I loves me my Shatner/Spader fix. That Candice Bergen is becoming a larger character is a very good thing, too.

Anything else is pretty incidental.

Troy McClure SF
10-25-2005, 04:45 PM
24, Arrested Development, and Scrubs.

Ethilrist
10-25-2005, 04:50 PM
The only new show I'm still watching is Ghost Whisperer. Old shows I'm watching are Smallville, Survivor, Lost, Veronica Mars, and House. I've given up on Threshold, Surface, Invasion, and Bones.

Licentious Ectomorph
10-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Because it the sucking became undeniable late last season and I couldn't make myself care enough to tune in this fall.

:eek: Blasphemer! I cast thee out! :mad:

;)

MrsMonkey
10-25-2005, 05:07 PM
New shows:
Supernatural (Jensen Ackles, nuff said)
Related (it's cute, I'm still giving it a shot)
My Name is Earl

Old shows:
Grey's Anatomy
Arrested Development
Lost
Boston Legal
The O.C.
Alias
Joey (when either of the previous 2 aren't on the DVR picks it up)
Rome
The Office

Weeds (So bummed that the season just ended!)
24 when it comes back - but it's on probation for me too

Dropped:
Desparate Housewives - just wasn't worth the effort for a couple of laughs per show

Yeah - I watch some TV - the DVR is a wonderful thing!

vivalostwages
10-25-2005, 05:09 PM
I continue to watch:
Desperate Housewives, Surface, Medium, Boston Legal, Lost, Kolchak, ER, SNL.

Sometimes I will glance at a few others but I tend not to stick with them for long:
Joey, Two and a Half Men, Ghost Whisperer, Invasion.

I will still sometimes watch Dateline and a few other nightly news shows, and maybe a bit of daytime shows, but no soaps.

And reruns of the third incarnation of TZ, The X-Files, and Malcolm.

Amok
10-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Of primetime type stuff, the only new series I'm watching this year are Rome, How I Met Your Mother, and Weeds (which had a very short season and is already over). I've only seen the premiere of Bones, but I may start watching it again once the World Series of Poker is over, as they're currently on at the same time (or they were and will be again when baseball ends).

Of returning series, I'm watching Arrested Development, Veronica Mars (gotta agree with Forlorn), Family Guy, and The Simpsons. Oh, and I tivo'd a bunch of Battlestar Gallatica season two, and am slowly working my way through the episodes, now that I've finally caught up on season one.

Otto
10-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Gah, why isn't anybody watching Alias?
I am, but I was only including shows that were either new this season or new to me. Sur the show is completely ridiculous but I knew it was ridiculous when I signed on four years ago. Hardly seems fair to leave on account of ridiculousness now.

I realize I've been watching the new series Close to Home on CBS this season too. It's on after TAR and there doesn't seem to be anything else on at that time so the TV just sort of stays on. It hasn't sucked so far, and it has the hotness of Christian Kane, so I'm in for now (but if something better came along I'd probably drop it).

scotandrsn
10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Lost - but they better come up with some exposition soon, I'm ready to take a flight to the island, crash, survive improbably, and start kickin' ass. That jungle monster? Is me. Enough, solve some of the mystery already. The enigma within a riddle wrapped up in a puzzle surrounded by WTF is getting old.

This brings to mind a Charlie Parker quote that I mentioned in the Jazz solo thread:

The audience needs to know what's coming about 50% of the time. More than that, they bored; less than that, they get confused.

In terms of TV shows, if you always know what's coming next, you get bored, and if you never know what's happening, you get confused.

I don't watch "Lost", but it sounds like it's guilty of the same thing the X-Files could often be accused of, which kind of a meta version of the above: If you know more than 50% of the time that's what's coming next is meant to confuse you by being unexpected, you get exasperated.

Kiros
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
I watch new episodes of Grey's Anatomy, Teen Titans, South Park (and Drawn Together sort of by default), and Family Guy on a weekly basis. Yeah, I like animation, plus the half-hour blocks are a lot easier on my schedule. I save the serious TV time for sports :)

If I had more time, I'd be making sure to catch Gilmore Girls and Boston Legal (and will probably catch up with them on DVD, as I did with stuff like West Wing back when it was still good), and I'd probably be sinking sick amounts of time into whatever was on the Food and Cartoon Networks.

MovieMogul
10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Sunday: The West Wing (may resume The Simpsons occasionally).
Monday: Prison Break (will resume Arrested once it returns; may try How I Met, which I haven't seen yet).
Tuesday: My Name is Earl (will probably alternate between Office and last 1/2 of House; may resume Boston Legal if I can remember)
Wednesday: Lost
Thursday: ---
Friday: Threshold (will resume Monk once the season begins again)
Saturday: ---

control-z
10-26-2005, 04:03 PM
:eek: Blasphemer! I cast thee out! :mad:

;)

Same here. (SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't seen last season of Alias! ALERT! ALERT!)

I warned you! When Sydney & Vaughn got back together and Sloane was put back in power I just couldn't take it any more. I had most of the last season on my Tivo unwatched and finally just deleted it.

Right now I'm watching Lost and My Name is Earl.

Plus stuff like The Daily Show, Later with Adam Carolla, and various History Channel shows like Mythbusters.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.