PDA

View Full Version : Rock n Roll Urban Legends

revolver_4
10-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Iím not sure if this story has been circulated on the net before but Iíve heard this one years ago from two sources: one was an old friend who was a teenager in the Ď70ís. Story goes a stoned Jimmy Page was onstage playing (maybe with the Zep) and after an impressive guitar solo dared if there was anyone in the concert hall who could play better than him to please come up on stage. From the audience a guy in a trenchcoat and a cowboy hat picks up one of Jimmyís guitars and plays. Page is amazed. Then the guy takes his hat off and itís no other than Eric Clapton!
I bet this never happened but itís a nice story to tell anyway.
Have you got any rock n roll stories to share?

Good Egg
10-24-2005, 10:52 PM
I have heard that. I'm sure its an urban legend. The title made me think of the Zeppelin/large fish story? true?

KRC
10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
There was one where Keith Moom drove a car into a swimming pool at the Holiday Inn in Flint, Michigan. I liked that story because that was the motel we stayed at whenever we traveled through Michigan; it was rather disappointing to learn that Roger Daltrey claimed Moon made it up.

Waterman
10-24-2005, 10:59 PM
I went to a series of concerts that were a part of the Mississippi River Festival held at the SIU-Edwardsville (Illinois side of suburban St. Louis) campus in the summer of 1969 (I believe) that included bands such as the immortal Iron Butterfly and the Chicago Transit Authority (later known as Chicago).

However, I was there at another time, waaayyy in the back (this was one of those outdoor concerts that had a covered section for the high priced seats and everything else was on the grass) for a concert by the Band.

They played their first set and then took an intermission before coming back onto the stage with one extra person who was not visible to me in the cheap seats but those up front were on their feet and yelling like crazy. I don't remember the song that they started but the "guest" started singing and it was none other than Bob Dylan who, it was stated in the following days newsppaer, was making his first public appearance after the motorcycle accident in late 1966 and the summer spent doing the Basement Tapes, etc.

fishbicycle
10-24-2005, 11:00 PM
That's a nice story that never happened. Well, except for the part about Page being stoned onstage. He was a junkie for a long time. But on my approximately 100 Zeppelin bootlegs, he never, ever spoke to the audience, never mind having invited someone up to play his gear.

Here are some more: Paul McCartney did not die, and was not replaced in The Beatles by William Campbell.

Frank Zappa did not take a dump onstage. Or eat it. He is also not the son of the man who played Mr. Green Jeans on Captain Kangaroo.

Waterman
10-24-2005, 11:04 PM
I don't know that this qualifies as an urban legend but I went to see John Lee Hooker at a small dive in the Fillmore District of S.F. in the summer/fall of 1970 and I remember him walking out onto the stage (which consisted of moving other chairs to the side in the middle of the bar seating area) with a six pack in one hand and his guitar in the other. He never touched the guitar until he had downed three of the cans of beer and then proceeded to embark on a four hour playing session that was, to put it mildly, just awesome.

Good Egg
10-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Frank Zappa did not take a dump onstage. Or eat it. .
But G. G. Allin probably did.

astorian
10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Marilyn Manson was not the kid who played Paul in "The Wonder Years."

John Denver wasn't a deadly Green Beret sniper.

Marley23
10-24-2005, 11:16 PM
I guess Robert Johnson doesn't count?

The Allman Brothers Band did not name its fourth album Eat a Peach because Duane Allman crashed his motorcycle into a peach truck.

Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkees in 1967, and he wasn't kicked off the tour because the Daughters of the American Revolution complained. And according to a recent book, he didn't leave the Army after breaking his foot on his 26th parachute jump.

Little Nemo
10-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Top four rock & roll urban legends:

1 - Elvis Presley is alive
2 - Jim Morrison is alive
3 - Tupac Shakur is alive
4 - Paul McCartney is dead

Good Egg
10-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Didn't "The Beav" grow up to become Alice Cooper?

revolver_4
10-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Elvis is alive! He's in a geriatric home somewhere in Texas under the name of Sebastian Haff. :)

Larry Mudd
10-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Mama Cass and the fatal ham sandwich.

Mick Jagger diddling Marianne Faithful with a Snickers bar, or David Bowie with anything.

Rod Stewart being hospitalized after ODing on groupie jizz.

Marley23
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Or Elton John having six gallons of semen pumped from his stomach, or whatever amount it was. (Maybe we're thinking of the same thing.)

Askance
10-25-2005, 12:26 AM
There's a legend that George Harrison and Eric Clapton had a guitar duel over Patti Harrison, George's then wife who did in fact leave him for Eric. But I'm sure the duel was an elaboration by some fan or rock journo.

Askance
10-25-2005, 12:37 AM
I have heard that. I'm sure its an urban legend. The title made me think of the Zeppelin/large fish story? true?Some member of this band using said fish to diddle a groupie? Yes, a legend, although according to LZ's manager it was based on a groupie who was so excited to be in their presence (heheheh) she grabbed the nearest vaguely phallic object and proceeded to do it to herself (if I remember his quote right: "she came like 20 times in a row, no-one was forcing her to do anything").

Frank Zappa used this incident, or at least the legendary version of it, on his Fillmore East album as the basis for the track The Mud Shark but for some reason credited it on stage to Vanilla Fudge rather than LZ.

Sublight
10-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Van Halen did in fact include a clause in their concert contracts that a bowl of M&Ms be provided backstage with all the brown ones taken out. It was actually a very clever move on their part.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/vanhalen.htm

revolver_4
10-25-2005, 01:47 AM
Not sure if it's true or not: Cracker recorded the Carpenters' Rainy Days and Mondays by singing it upside down.

betenoir
10-25-2005, 03:04 AM
Mick Jagger diddling Marianne Faithful with a Snickers bar, or David Bowie with anything.

It was a Mars bar of course! Or rather it wasn't a Mars bar...well you know what i mean....

I think it's fascinating that that's what the public mind at the time generated as the height of decadence. But then this is the culture that gave us the deep fried Mars bar. Apparently Mars bars hold a powerful sway over the British imagination.

And Mick Jagger and David Bowie DID happen!!! Well, in my mind :( .

Fern Forest
10-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Some member of this band using said fish to diddle a groupie? Yes, a legend, although according to LZ's manager it was based on a groupie who was so excited to be in their presence (heheheh) she grabbed the nearest vaguely phallic object and proceeded to do it to herself (if I remember his quote right: "she came like 20 times in a row, no-one was forcing her to do anything").

Frank Zappa used this incident, or at least the legendary version of it, on his Fillmore East album as the basis for the track The Mud Shark but for some reason credited it on stage to Vanilla Fudge rather than LZ.
Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/mudshark.asp) has the quote.

mamboman
10-25-2005, 04:45 AM
In the "almost too good to be true so it probably isn't" category comes the story of Aerosmith who, on the eve of a big tour, played a club gig just to get the bugs out of their set. Having played the gig, they decided to change the running order of the show, moving the set closing tune up to the second number. So they light out on the road, and play thier big opening concert. As soon as the second number is played, Joe Perry hollers "Good night XXXXXX, you've been great" and leaves the stage.

Oops!

Probably just a tale, tho.

mm

Peter Morris
10-25-2005, 04:59 AM
Charles Manson was never shortlisted to be in The Monkees.
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/monkees.htm

Bob Holness did not play the saxophone solo on Baker Street.
For the benefit of non-Brits, Bob Holness was the host of a long-running TV quiz show Blockbusters and was also the second actor to play James Bond (pre-Connery).

RealityChuck
10-25-2005, 08:16 AM
An old, forgotten one: Klaatu (http://tinyurl.com/89x79) was actually the Beatles recording under a fake name (though this was more an ill-advised publicity stunt that a true urban legend).

Marley23
10-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Jimi Hendrix never told Dick Cavett that Phil Keaggy was the best guitar player in the world. (I've heard Keaggy's name replaced by a number of others, but he's the most common fill-in-the-blank.)

There's also a story that Hendrix, after hearing Chicago in 1968, said "Your guitar player [Terry Kath] is better than me." The only source for this seems to be another member of Chicago, so personally I'm skeptical.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Jimi Hendrix never told Dick Cavett that Phil Keaggy was the best guitar player in the world. (I've heard Keaggy's name replaced by a number of others, but he's the most common fill-in-the-blank.)

There was an exchange between Cavett and Hendrix in which Cavett told Hendrix that he was considered to be the best guitarist in the world. This made Hendrix very uneasy and ultimately said he might be the greatest guitarist in this chair.

Trunk
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Phil Collins inviting the guy to the concert and then singing "In the Air Tonight" to him and the guy breaking down. Never happened.

While "Tears in Heaven" was written by Clapton in honor of his dead son. . .his dead son's GHOST never showed up in any movie. Do I even NEED to find a link to that one?

I always heard that the little "pitter patter" part at the beginning of "Ramble On" was Bonham playing on his drumm stool, but I don't know whether that's true or not.

UntouchedTakeaway
10-25-2005, 11:18 AM
I don't know if this falls under the heading of "urban legend", but I was recently surprised to read that legendary songwriter Doc ("Hushabye" amongst others) Pomus is the brother of legendary divorce attorney Raul Lionel Felder.

VCNJ~

blondebear
10-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, back in in 1983, Page and Clapton DID share the stage--along with Jeff Beck. They were part of the group that toured to support Ronnie Lane's MS Charity, A.R.M.S.

On the night I saw the concert, Jimmy was the 3rd-best guitarist on stage.

bordelond
10-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Frank Zappa did not take a dump onstage. Or eat it.
I've always heard this one about Alice Cooper.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Like the Klaatu legend, country singer Orion (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:xl5e8qftbtn4) was alleged to be Elvis Presley.

Scumpup
10-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Or Elton John having six gallons of semen pumped from his stomach, or whatever amount it was. (Maybe we're thinking of the same thing.)

Nah. It wasn't Rod Stewart or Elton John. It was Axel Rose and it was one gallon.

Nutty Bunny
10-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Nah. It wasn't Rod Stewart or Elton John. It was Axel Rose and it was one gallon.

It's funny how these things change over the years and get updated for later generations. The version I had always heard involved Rod Stewart.

While "Tears in Heaven" was written by Clapton in honor of his dead son. . .his dead son's GHOST never showed up in any movie. Do I even NEED to find a link to that one?

Actually, yeah. Unlike 90% of the ULs in this thread, I've never heard this one. What movie was the "ghost" supposedly in?

If you're talking about the supposed ghost in "Three Men and a Baby", that movie came out in 1987 and the Clapton song came out in, what, 1991? If that's not what you're referring to, I'm now curious.

Push You Down
10-25-2005, 12:13 PM

No. It wasn't Axel Rose. It was Donny Wahlberg from the New Kids on the Block and it was so much semen it clogged the machine.

Each generation has its own version.

Hal Briston
10-25-2005, 12:17 PM
If you're talking about the supposed ghost in "Three Men and a Baby", that movie came out in 1987 and the Clapton song came out in, what, 1991? If that's not what you're referring to, I'm now curious.That'd be the one. From Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/tears.htm):

The account has become part of an even stranger blurring of news coverage with remembered folklore :

[Collected via e-mail, 1999]
In the 3 men and a baby legend, I heard it was Eric Clapton's old apartment in NYC, and the little ghost boy is his son that fell out the window (30+ stories?) and died.

Human memory is an amazing thing ó it often takes two separate bits of remembered input that share one or more common elements and melds them to form a new "fact" that will henceforth be recalled as rock-solid truth. In this case, the shared elements of a New York City apartment and the death of a male child have injected the very real death of Conor Clapton into the apocryphal legend about a ghost boy who seems to appear in the film Three Men and a Baby. (That Three Men and a Baby was filmed on a soundstage in Toronto dissuades very few from believing some scenes were shot in a New York City apartment haunted by a dead child and that his image was captured in a few frames of the film.)

Trunk
10-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Actually, yeah. Unlike 90% of the ULs in this thread, I've never heard this one. What movie was the "ghost" supposedly in?

If you're talking about the supposed ghost in "Three Men and a Baby", that movie came out in 1987 and the Clapton song came out in, what, 1991? If that's not what you're referring to, I'm now curious.
Well, they do mention at Snopes that it seems to have become conflated with the "Three Men and a Baby" legend. And, that's how I originally heard it.

Scroll down. (http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/tears.htm)

Anyway, anyone who believes a GHOST shows up in a movie probably doesn't have too many problems with that ghost being from the future.

Or maybe they do.

Where exactly does stupid stop?

Loach
10-25-2005, 01:06 PM
This one I heard straight from the source so it might be true (or slightly exagerated). Graham Chapman was doing a lecture tour of college campuses in the late 80s and I was able to go see him. He was great friends with Keith Moon and they were both big alcoholics. He tells the story about one time they were getting drunk in someones penthouse when they ran out of booze. Without a word Moon went out on the balcony. A short time later he comes back in the front door with an arm full of booze. He climbed out onto the ledge, made his way around the building to the penthouse on the opposite side, broke in and stole all the booze.

bradministrator
10-25-2005, 01:23 PM
No. It wasn't Axel Rose. It was Donny Wahlberg from the New Kids on the Block and it was so much semen it clogged the machine.

It was Alanis Morrisette and it was 6 quarts of horse semen.

AskNott
10-25-2005, 02:06 PM
After Cream broke up, I heard several versions of how drummer Ginger Baker was so burned out from speed that he: had to tape the sticks to his hands, was in an institution and could no longer speak, had not slept for a year, and was dead. None of it true.

Sam of Sam and Dave now claims he fired Jimi Hendrix. Jimi had just left the Isley Brothers, and S&D needed a guitarist. On his first night onstage, Hendrix broke into a psychedelic solo. Sam told him to knock it off. On the next number, he did it again, and Sam told him, "Unplug, get off the stage, and don't come back."

Jman
10-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I've always wondered about the semen ULs. I mean, how do these make it around....don't these people realize just how much a gallon of semen is? I mean, a full milk jug...we're talking approximately 950 cumshots. Umm....yeah. (and yes, I converted the average volume of ejaculate to gallons)

Marley23
10-25-2005, 02:13 PM
I mean, a full milk jug...we're talking approximately 950 cumshots. Umm....yeah. (and yes, I converted the average volume of ejaculate to gallons)
And you've embarrassed me - I can't even convert gallons to litres, jizz or no jizz.

Cliffy
10-25-2005, 02:16 PM
in the summer of 1969

Were you hungry, just barely alive?

Oh, wait, that's the summer of '65. Never mind. ;)

--Cliffy

Marley23
10-25-2005, 02:19 PM

I think that was the winter, and it's also a different century. ;)

Mr. Blue Sky
10-25-2005, 02:34 PM
--Cliffy

Did woman survive?

Scumpup
10-25-2005, 02:36 PM
I've always wondered about the semen ULs. I mean, how do these make it around....don't these people realize just how much a gallon of semen is? I mean, a full milk jug...we're talking approximately 950 cumshots. Umm....yeah. (and yes, I converted the average volume of ejaculate to gallons)

I'm aware of how much fluid a gallon is. I'm also aware that we are talking about nearly 1000 cumshots. It's just that I don't think Axel Rose is incapable of sucking that many dicks. Especially with the other members of Guns n' Roses acting as fluffers.

sqweels
10-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Not a very earth-shattering UL, but I kept hearing the Dennis DeYoung of Styx discovered Tommy Shaw when he heard gutiar playing coming from a nearby building while stopped at a red light (or something). In fact, Shaw was discovered thru normal channels, but DeYoung founded the band as a teenager after hearing guitar and drums coming from the house of the Panozzo twins who lived up the block.

kunilou
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Didn't "The Beav" grow up to become Alice Cooper?

No, Eddie Haskell grew up to become Alice Cooper.

And after The Beatles broke up, they played some sessions just for fun, that were later released as Badfinger.

Re the rumor that Aerosmith warmed up for a gig by playing at an out of the way club, how many other bands supposedly would show up at some dive without notice and play a set or two?

1) Rolling Stones

Diogenes the Cynic
10-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Ozzy Osbourne never threw any live puppies or kittens into the crowd and demanded that they be torn apart before he would perform. He also never chainsawed any live animals onstage.

Marilyn Manson has never been a minister of the Church of Satan.

Euthanasiast
10-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Van Halen did in fact include a clause in their concert contracts that a bowl of M&Ms be provided backstage with all the brown ones taken out. It was actually a very clever move on their part.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/vanhalen.htm

Britney Spears Employed the same tactic with Lucky Charms and having all of the non marshmallow bits removed.

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
10-25-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't know if this falls under the heading of "urban legend", but I was recently surprised to read that legendary songwriter Doc ("Hushabye" amongst others) Pomus is the brother of legendary divorce attorney Raul Lionel Felder.

VCNJ~
Along that same line, Doug Feiger, lead guitarist for The Knack, is the brother of defense attorney & talking head Ron Feiger, whose major claim to fame was defending Dr. Kevorkian.

UntouchedTakeaway
10-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Along that same line, Doug Feiger, lead guitarist for The Knack, is the brother of defense attorney & talking head Ron Feiger, whose major claim to fame was defending Dr. Kevorkian.

Yes!

And I also recall hearing that the brother of the Cheap Trick drummer Bun E. Carlos was one of the 1970s Iranian embassy hostages.

VCNJ~

Necros
10-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Re the rumor that Aerosmith warmed up for a gig by playing at an out of the way club, how many other bands supposedly would show up at some dive without notice and play a set or two?

1) Rolling Stones
2) Iron Maiden

BMax
10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Ozzy Osbourne never threw any live puppies or kittens into the crowd and demanded that they be torn apart before he would perform. He also never chainsawed any live animals onstage.

Marilyn Manson has never been a minister of the Church of Satan. I heard both those about Alice Cooper back in 1978.

I also heard about Rod stewart & a quart of semen...

vibrotronica
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
3) R.E.M. used to do gigs at the Antenna Club in Memphis well after they were big. They would play a big show and then show up unannounced afterwards to play with a local band. One of the names they used for these shows was Hornets Attack Victor Mature. They also used to do this at W. C. Dawn's in Jackson, Mississippi and at various venues in Athens, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did this elsewhere in the country as well.

RE: onstage cropophilia
I have video evidence of G. G. Allin eating his own shit on stage at the Antenna moments before he ended the show by chasing everyone out of the club and being arrested naked on Madison avenue. Quite the character, that G. G.

yellowval
10-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Frank Zappa did not take a dump onstage. Or eat it. He is also not the son of the man who played Mr. Green Jeans on Captain Kangaroo.

I heard that it was Ted Nugent who was the son of Mr. Green Jeans.

Aerosmith was supposed to be on the plane that crashed carrying the band Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1977. Actually, I think that may have some truth to it. I have a book on Aerosmith at home and I will check later.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
And after The Beatles broke up, they played some sessions just for fun, that were later released as Badfinger.

A possible explanation for this might be that Paul McCartney got into the studio early one day and decided to record a song to be used by another Apple artist - The Iveys. The song was "Come and Get It". Paul played all the instruments himself and mixed and mastered the track.

He presented it to the The Iveys (later Badfinger) and told them to play it the same way he did and they would have a big hit.

They did and they did. It hit #4 in the UK and #11 in the US.

libwen
10-25-2005, 04:36 PM

Actually, that defense lawyer's name is Geoffrey Fieger. Seeing as he never lets us Michigan residents forget who he is . . .

Good Egg
10-25-2005, 05:20 PM
3)

RE: onstage cropophilia
I have video evidence of G. G. Allin eating his own shit on stage at the Antenna moments before he ended the show by chasing everyone out of the club and being arrested naked on Madison avenue. Quite the character, that G. G.I mentioned that on page 1. Thats not art, thats mental illness.

KRC
10-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Back in '82 there was a rumor that Joan Jett was really a guy and her name was John Jett. I guess she just didn't appear feminine enough for some people.

silenus
10-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Well, back in in 1983, Page and Clapton DID share the stage--along with Jeff Beck. They were part of the group that toured to support Ronnie Lane's MS Charity, A.R.M.S.

On the night I saw the concert, Jimmy was the 3rd-best guitarist on stage.

I agree. The night I saw that group, he was definately the least talented of the three.

4. Neil Young used to do stuff like that in Northern California back in the 70s. I saw him do a set at a little dive outside Fortuna.

astorian
10-25-2005, 09:34 PM

I'm not a huge Rod Stewart fan, but I give him a lot of credit for his response to this rumor.

When Rolling Stone asked him to comment on this legend, he laughed back, "Yeah, I hear that story all the time. What am I supposed to have done, sucked off a whole football team?"

It can't be fun to be the subject of sick rumors, but better to laugh at such stories, like Rod, than to take out full-page magazine ads to refute them (like Richard Gere).

Trillionaire
10-25-2005, 11:48 PM

Did you convert based on 10CC per cumshot? :D

BwanaBob
10-26-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm not a huge Rod Stewart fan, but I give him a lot of credit for his response to this rumor.

When Rolling Stone asked him to comment on this legend, he laughed back, "Yeah, I hear that story all the time. What am I supposed to have done, sucked off a whole football team?"

It can't be fun to be the subject of sick rumors, but better to laugh at such stories, like Rod, than to take out full-page magazine ads to refute them (like Richard Gere).

Back in college (when I could be a bit of an asshole), I called the local rock station to request a song. The DJ asked what I wanted to hear and I replied,
"Rod Stewart's Do You Think I Swallow". The guy simply replies "Sexy", and hangs up.

Sgt.Pepper
10-26-2005, 08:22 AM

Each generation has its own version.

Closer to what I heard. I heard it was Jordan Knight of New Kids. I wonder how far back this UL goes.

An Arky
10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=vibrotronica]3) R.E.M. used to do gigs at the Antenna Club in Memphis well after they were big. They would play a big show and then show up unannounced afterwards to play with a local band. One of the names they used for these shows was Hornets Attack Victor Mature. They also used to do this at W. C. Dawn's in Jackson, Mississippi and at various venues in Athens, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did this elsewhere in the country as well.

Not the same, but I was at the Antenna Club hanging out after R.E.M. played at Mud Island in 1987 (Galaxy 500 opened), and R.E.M. showed up and played a set of songs and jammed with The Soul Capitalists, the band playing that night. Good times!

Lochdale
10-26-2005, 10:16 AM
So Rod Stewart et al. were supposed to have given BJ's to several hundred people at one time? I sheer stupidity of that rumor is what astonishes me.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
So Rod Stewart et al. were supposed to have given BJ's to several hundred people at one time? I sheer stupidity of that rumor is what astonishes me.

Or he could have been the, uh, receptacle, if the participants took things into their own hands.

Sean Factotum
10-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Ozzy's response to that rumor was, "Yeah. You try to cut the legs off a doberman with a chainsaw."

Mr. Blue Sky
10-26-2005, 10:36 AM

Oh yeah, I've also heard this rumor associated with a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader.

Scumpup
10-26-2005, 10:39 AM

At one time? Yeah, that is too stupid to believe. Axel blew those guys serially.

middleman
10-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Closer to what I heard. I heard it was Jordan Knight of New Kids. I wonder how far back this UL goes.

Back in the day, doctors had to apply 100 leeches to the stomach of Ludwig Van Beethoven because he had ingested the semen of every member of the audience at a concert in Vienna.

Nutty Bunny
10-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Anyway, anyone who believes a GHOST shows up in a movie probably doesn't have too many problems with that ghost being from the future.

Or maybe they do.

Where exactly does stupid stop?

Apparently, there is no stopping stupid.

Marley23
10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Apparently, there is no stopping stupid.
Which is part of why "it's taking longer than we thought."

Sgt.Pepper
10-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Back in the day, doctors had to apply 100 leeches to the stomach of Ludwig Van Beethoven because he had ingested the semen of every member of the audience at a concert in Vienna.

I was thinking of a scene on Mt. Olympus where Hermes is telling Apollo that the reason for one of the Muses' recent illness was due to the large amounts of semen that she was seen vomiting up. Seeing as the Greek mythology is quite explicit, a scene like that wouldn't surprise me.

BMax
10-26-2005, 12:04 PM
I was thinking of a scene on Mt. Olympus where Hermes is telling Apollo that the reason for one of the Muses' recent illness was due to the large amounts of semen that she was seen vomiting up. Seeing as the Greek mythology is quite explicit, a scene like that wouldn't surprise me.
It seems that the "quart of semen" legend is imbedded in the human psyche.

Peter Morris
10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Sgt.Pepper, Is that a genuine ancient legend, or are you making a joke?

Sgt.Pepper
10-26-2005, 02:14 PM
That was purely a joke based on the same rumour heard for the different generations of music, then taking the "rumour" back even futher. That was completely made up on my part.

whole bean
10-26-2005, 02:54 PM

--Cliffy

no dude, it was the best days of of our lives

betenoir
10-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Did you convert based on 10CC per cumshot? :D

I thought it was closer to a lovin' spoonful.

plnnr
10-26-2005, 03:13 PM
It seems that the "quart of semen" legend is imbedded in the human psyche.

Perhaps it was a "quartet of seamen" and got garbled in translation.

Bob Scene
10-26-2005, 03:30 PM
In about 1978, I was told by no less an authority than this guy's (http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/members/dist19/dist19.htm) son that Alice Cooper passed a bucket around in the audience at a concert and told everyone to spit in it, then he drank it. I've heard variations of this involving other bodily fluids and other rock stars, but I can't remember who right now.

vl_mungo
10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Dating from my youth... KISS was the masked version of Van Halen.

Rucksinator
10-26-2005, 05:16 PM

I heard Fred Savage (who played Kevin on The Wonder Years) on a radio show, and he told a story about meeting Marilyn Manson. He said that he told MM that he was a big fan, and MM said "What are you talking about? We worked together for years."

BMax
10-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Dating from my youth... KISS was the masked version of Van Halen.
When I was in Junior High, it was rumored that KISS stood for Knights In Satan's Service.

An Arky
10-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I once heard that Motley Crue were/are made.

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
10-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Actually, that defense lawyer's name is Geoffrey Fieger. Seeing as he never lets us Michigan residents forget who he is . . .
That's right, I knew that. I stand corrected. :smack:

Just seeing if you knew..... yeah, that's the ticket. ;)

Don Draper
10-26-2005, 06:57 PM
I know two urban legends about Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane:

1. She did NOT actually name her baby 'god'. In 1970, it was still kind of a novelty for a rock & roll chick to be having a baby, so she was hounded by the press while she was with child. Slick wisecracked to a few reporters from "Rolling Stone" magazine that she planned to name the baby god "with a small 'g', so the kid won't get a big ego." She assumed the reporters would not take her seriously, since she was well-known for rattling off oddball wisecracks. But sure enough, the news ran wild with the story that the hippie acid-queen naming her baby 'god.' She never seriously intended to do that. (she actually did name her daughter 'China', which for the times was unusual, but far less controversial and not really so out-there anymore.)

2. According to hearsay, Slick sang the 'number counting' song on "Sesame Street." You remember that animated bit with the pinball machine, the groovy music and a voice belting out "onetwothree FOUR FIVE sixseveneightnineten Eleven TWELVE." Lots of people believe that's Slick singing. Although I've never heard this definitely refuted, I remain skeptical.

zoogirl
10-26-2005, 09:24 PM
May I once again repeat, Alice Cooper DID NOT kill a chicken onstage!

The chicken was thrown onto the stage from the audiance. Alice picked it up and threw it back, alive. The crown ripped it to bits.

Bad bad crowd!

Good Egg
10-26-2005, 09:36 PM
I once heard that Motley Crue were/are made.

:confused:

I once heard they were talented. Another urban legend for sure.

Mr. Blue Sky
10-26-2005, 09:49 PM

Now that's crazy talk.

MissGypsy
10-26-2005, 09:58 PM
When I was in Junior High, it was rumored that KISS stood for Knights In Satan's Service.

When I was in elementary school, I read a letter in my older sister's teen magazine about KISS standing for Knights in Satin Service. I was puzzled for the longest time, thinking it was something about the fabric in their costumes, and now it suddenly makes sense! Some 13-year-old misspelled "Satan" in her irate letter!

Love it when the pieces all fall into place like that! :p

Dr. Rieux
10-26-2005, 10:15 PM
I read somewhere back then, that Paul Stanley claimed it stood for Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Torgo
10-26-2005, 10:21 PM
I've got two doozies:

1.) All four ex-Beatles got together in 1975 in a Los Angeles studio to try out some new material and see if a reunion was viable but it wasn't so they didn't. The tapes were destroyed.

2.) In between albums and tours Keith Moon would actually forget how to play the drums. Moon had no interest in practicing (word has it he didn't even keep a set at home) and he would require extra rehearsal time to get back up to speed.

Askance
10-26-2005, 10:37 PM
I thought it was closer to a lovin' spoonful.Of Pearl Jam?

Good Egg
10-26-2005, 11:04 PM
I read somewhere back then, that Paul Stanley claimed it stood for Keep It Simple, Stupid.
I actually read gen's book and I think he said they wanted it something memorable and wanted to call it F*u*c*k. But then, it wouldn't have bene marketable and Gene is all about marketing.

Cardinal
10-26-2005, 11:10 PM
I read somewhere back then, that Paul Stanley claimed it stood for Keep It Simple, Stupid.(No cite) I've heard from somewhere "reliable" (I can't remember where) that they actually wanted to call the band F---, but the record company knew it was a kiss of death for their career in getting stocked in record stores (pun intended). So they called it KISS. They also said they wanted you to think of a kiss when you thought of them, which considering Gene's attitudes, is quite a holdback.

Good Egg
10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
(No cite) I've heard from somewhere "reliable" (I can't remember where) that they actually wanted to call the band F---, but the record company knew it was a kiss of death for their career in getting stocked in record stores (pun intended). So they called it KISS. They also said they wanted you to think of a kiss when you thought of them, which considering Gene's attitudes, is quite a holdback.
what I said. ;)

China Guy
10-27-2005, 07:03 AM
I don't know that this qualifies as an urban legend but I went to see John Lee Hooker at a small dive in the Fillmore District of S.F. in the summer/fall of 1970 and I remember him walking out onto the stage (which consisted of moving other chairs to the side in the middle of the bar seating area) with a six pack in one hand and his guitar in the other. He never touched the guitar until he had downed three of the cans of beer and then proceeded to embark on a four hour playing session that was, to put it mildly, just awesome.Waterman, not saying it didn't happen. BUT John Lee drank very little. Maybe 1 beer and he was partial to Heineken. Now that was 10 years later when I hung out with him and the band...

Jurph
10-27-2005, 10:53 AM
I always heard that the little "pitter patter" part at the beginning of "Ramble On" was Bonham playing on his drum stool, but I don't know whether that's true or not.

I'm pretty sure (but can't find the liner notes) that the introduction is Bonham on bongos, or Viram Jisani on tabla. He had to be their dealer, because when you've got John Bonham, there's no earthly reason to bring in another drummer.

Draelin
10-27-2005, 12:25 PM
I laughed my ass off the first time I heard that, because the kid that did play Paul sat behind me in health class in ninth grade (when he was in school at all, of course), and the very idea still makes me giggle.

FriarTed
10-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Marilyn Manson has never been a minister of the Church of Satan.

I'm sure I read his account of meeting Anton LaVey & at least being given an honorary ordination.

FriarTed
10-27-2005, 03:33 PM
I've always heard this one about Alice Cooper.

Version I heard, one was the dumper & the other was the eater. I think it was Cooper, then Zappa, but I'm sure different tellings reversed the order.

My favorite Cooper story- I heard in 7th grade- "Billion Dollar Baby" was a reference to his effort to buy a baby for a billion dollars so he could kill it on stage.
I did not recognize the BS of Alice having a billion dollars, BUT knew damn well that no place in the civilized world would allow him to publically kill a baby. The teller insisted that his wealth & fame would be sufficient to clear him.

FriarTed
10-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Some member of this band using said fish to diddle a groupie? Yes, a legend, although according to LZ's manager it was based on a groupie who was so excited to be in their presence (heheheh) she grabbed the nearest vaguely phallic object and proceeded to do it to herself (if I remember his quote right: "she came like 20 times in a row, no-one was forcing her to do anything").

Been years since I read HAMMER OF THE GODS (which the LZ members have denounced), but IIRC it tells a believable enough version. Btw, she was a natural redhead & the fish was a red snapper. :D

Waterman
10-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Waterman, not saying it didn't happen. BUT John Lee drank very little. Maybe 1 beer and he was partial to Heineken. Now that was 10 years later when I hung out with him and the band...I had never seen John Lee before that nor I did I ever see him after that, but I do remember. First of all he never said a word when he first came out, he then proceeded to down the beer, and then, as stated, started playing. John Lee didn't converse much with the audience that night but he did put on one hell of a rundown through his songs. I have to say that I don't know that much about Hooker's personal life and such but the man had the most incredible voice and delivery of any bluesman I have ever seen.

handsomeharry
10-27-2005, 08:17 PM
I wish you all would check your sources about Mr. Greenjeans and Zappa.

It was Mr. Greenjeans that took the dump onstage...guess who ate it?

Mr. Blue Sky
10-27-2005, 08:18 PM
I wish you all would check your sources about Mr. Greenjeans and Zappa.

It was Mr. Greenjeans that took the dump onstage...guess who ate it?

Bunny Rabbit?

Mister Rik
10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
2) Iron Maiden

#whatever) Metallica, with Bob Rock on bass. They wanted to try out the St. Anger material before the CD was released. They called themselves something else, and the club owner made them pay $75 for the privelege of playing in his club.

no stopping stupid.
Band name!

revolver_4
10-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Rollercoaster of love, woo hoo aarrrrghhh!!!!

Oh, and I do remember this too. A few seconds into Love Rollercoaster or some other track by the Ohio Players, you can hear a womanís scream. According to the story, a girl was being strangled in a room next to the booth while the band was recording. Iíve heard this from several people through the years. Also, something about an album cover by the same group. HmmmÖ.

revolver_4
10-27-2005, 11:36 PM
The 10 greatest rock'n'roll myths
By Graeme Thomson of The Observer

1: 'Mama' Cass choking on a sandwich
2: Marilyn Manson starring in 'The Wonder Years'
3: The Beatles' spliff in Buckingham Palace
4: Keef's blood transfusion
5: Stevie Nicks having cocaine blown up her bum
6: Robert Johnson's pact with the devil
7: Jacko and the elephant man
8: Sid checks in at Heathrow
9: Richey Edwards lives
10: Led Zep and the mud shark

I like lists :)

An Arky
10-28-2005, 06:38 AM

Made meaning some sort of mob influence...dunno particulars

Talent and Motley Crue in the same sentence is indeed an urban legend... :D

China Guy
10-28-2005, 07:01 AM
I had never seen John Lee before that nor I did I ever see him after that, but I do remember. First of all he never said a word when he first came out, he then proceeded to down the beer, and then, as stated, started playing.. thanks for sharing. maybe it was just a beer and not beers. i think the hook only knew how to play one melody but man could he sing.

he also typified the rock n roll groupie banger. he told a story when i hung out with him about some groupie he uh serviced and then tossed out for the rest of the band. iirc he was 65 & wife was around 24.

after the gig he was backstage and two 20 somethings dressed up to get messed up said 'we're friends of john lee...' ya right, but i asked john lee and he said 'hell yes, let 'em in.'

i saw the bimbo's both perched on a knee with some serious face sucking and groping going on. this was in 1981 when he was about 70.

Waterman
10-28-2005, 10:33 AM
thanks for sharing. maybe it was just a beer and not beers. i think the hook only knew how to play one melody but man could he sing.

he also typified the rock n roll groupie banger. he told a story when i hung out with him about some groupie he uh serviced and then tossed out for the rest of the band. iirc he was 65 & wife was around 24.

after the gig he was backstage and two 20 somethings dressed up to get messed up said 'we're friends of john lee...' ya right, but i asked john lee and he said 'hell yes, let 'em in.'

i saw the bimbo's both perched on a knee with some serious face sucking and groping going on. this was in 1981 when he was about 70.
I have never been a musician or in a band or anything like you but the impression that I've always had regarding guys like Hooker and Waters was that they lived the life they sang about to the fullest.

vibrotronica
10-28-2005, 10:35 AM
5: Stevie Nicks having cocaine blown up her bumHow could I have forgotten that one! it's one of my favorites because I always think about the poor roadie whose job it would have been to man the straw.

blondebear
10-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Keith Richards having his blood changed "to remove toxins".

(He made up the story to impress an interviewer)

Mister Rik
10-28-2005, 04:05 PM
How could I have forgotten that one! it's one of my favorites because I always think about the poor roadie whose job it would have been to man the straw.

How old was Stevie when that happened? Twenty-something?

Um, sign me up for that.

She still looks damn good, though

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.