PDA

View Full Version : Help with Steam / Half Life 2

fluiddruid
10-25-2005, 09:51 PM
I received Half Life 2 as a gift a few months back, and just got around to installing it. I pull out the 5 CDs in the package -- there doesn't seem to be anything else.

I install the game and it automatically boots Steam under an account that's not mine (it was a friend's account who moved out and uninstalled his games, including Half-Life 2). I logout and login under a new account, but Half Life 2 and Counterstrike: Source are no longer listed.

If I try to re-add the game, it asks me for my CD key; however, there was no CD key in the package. According to this (http://support2.vugames.com/vug/answer.aspx?ID=3480), it should be on the jewel case, manual, or on a slip of paper. However, there was no manual, no jewel cases (the CDs were in paper slips, not on there though) and there were no papers with the CD key.

I can't contact the retailer as I have no idea who sold the game and certainly no receipt.

Am I stuck with a useless game? I tried calling customer support, but the number listed on the CD gives me an error if I select the right option (press 1 for Half Life 2 GOTY edition, which I don't have; press 2 for all others. 2 doesn't work -- it's not connected to a number and the voice system gives me an error - and 1 locks me in endless menus that don't have the option I'm looking for.)

Chefguy
10-25-2005, 09:54 PM
You're stuck with playing under your friend's account, most likely. Steam is difficult to deal with under normal circumstances; if you don't have the code, you're in non-play mode.

fluiddruid
10-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't even have the password, and he's not likely to give it to me to use his CD key.

I sent off an e-mail to tech support; I guess, worst case, I'll just take it to Best Buy or whatever and tell them that the game was incomplete.

Hi, Neighbor!
10-25-2005, 10:08 PM
I tried calling customer support, but the number listed on the CD gives me an error if I select the right option

That's very disappointing. I'm frustrated FOR you.

Anyways, you checked for the CD-KEY on all of the paper slips (front and back) that held the CDs? That's where it was located for me.

fluiddruid
10-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Anyways, you checked for the CD-KEY on all of the paper slips (front and back) that held the CDs? That's where it was located for me.

Just checked again. Nothing. Thanks, though.

DougC
10-25-2005, 11:32 PM
- - - I have the minibox CD version, and the CD key is on a label on the bottom rear of the envelope that CD #1 came in.
~

Palooka
10-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Ditto.

Sounds like fluiddruid got a bum copy that someone bought, pulled the CD-key from, and then returned. You'll have to take it back and get another. Valve has a system for dealing with such copies, but it's troublesome.

Hi, Neighbor!
10-26-2005, 12:06 AM
I stopped dealing with Steam right after it was released. Far too many technical issues to deal with. I haven't played a good multiplayer FPS in a long time. Sure, I've dabbled with Halo 2 for X-Box, but I can't stand trying deal with a game pad. FPS games were meant to be played with "WASD" and a mouse!

Ficer67
10-26-2005, 12:10 AM
ummm...

Half Life 2 is beautiful to look at, but unless you are playing multiplayer, it is not really worth it. Coupled with the steam foolishness required to play the game, and I kinda wish that I had my $50.00 back. Maybe there is a better game out there. Just a thought....

DougC
10-26-2005, 01:19 AM
- - - I agree that the whole Steam implementation was a drag on Half-Life-2. Visually the game looks great, but doesn't really play that interesting in single-player at all. And the Steam thing is a pain in the ass, quite frankly. I could give several examples, but let's just say I won't be buying any more internet-dependent games from now on.
~

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.