PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars question

Revenant Threshold
10-27-2005, 05:44 PM
So it's pretty much clear through the prequel films, and to a lesser extent the OT, that Darth Sidious/Palpatine orchestrated pretty much all the events that happened - even in the final battle he had planned everything leading up to it, and would have won if not for Darth Vader.

Basically my question is, what of his plans went wrong? Other than him thinking Darth Vader couldn't be turned back to the light, what happened that he did not forsee or bring about himself?

Push You Down
10-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Well he still would have been killed. Vader turning on the Emperor had no effect on Han getting the shield down OR Lando and Wedge taking out the core and destroying the Death Star. That's something I really like about ROTJ. The big epic battle and the personal conflict of the protagonist have no bearing on each other. If Luke had failed to turn Vader, the Rebels still would have won and if the Rebels had failed to get the shield down and lost the battle, Luke still would have turned Vader.

Guinastasia
10-27-2005, 06:28 PM
"His overconfidence was his weakness."

That and he didn't know about the twins. He didn't know until Vader told him, obviously, when this kid "Skywalker" pops up, but even then, he didn't know about Leia. That was his downfall-that and the fact that Vader still hadn't eradicated the part of him that remained Anakin Skywalker.

Captain Amazing
10-27-2005, 06:32 PM
That, and, upon making Endor the base for the shield generator, the Empire didn't exterminate the Ewoks. It was the whole C-3P0 is an Ewok god/stormtroopers are ineffective against logs and rocks thing that let the Republic commando team take over the Imperial base on the planet.

Revenant Threshold
10-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Push You Down's right, he was wrong in that he believed the Shield Base would not be taken. I'd count them blowing up the DS as part of that mistake, though; if he knew the shield would come down, I imagine he would have made other plans.

I don't think him not knowing about Leia (and Luke, at first) was a mistake; he just couldn't sense them, while DV, being their father, could. More a case of limited abilities, rather than an actual mistake. I think the only mistakes we've seen so far are;

1) He didnt completely turn Anakin.

2) He didn't think the shield could be brought down.

3) He's overconfident.

And thinking about it, he's not really THAT overconfident; I mean, the shield didn't come down till after he was dead, and DV's betrayal was at his death, so up until the very end of his life he'd made no mistakes. Considering he was manipulating pretty much the entire galaxy, plus thousands of Jedi at one time, I'd say he's allowed to be confident.

Fish
10-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Mistake? Yeah. He should have leaked the location of a dummy shield generator building and guarded it with that legion of troops. Or a backup shield generator, or something. That way, even if the Rebels break through the defenses, they can only capture and destroy a worthless building.

Instead, he gave out the location of the real shield generator, like a fool, and assumed his minions would handle it. Don't leave anything to minions. He should've learned that lesson when he realized his minions hadn't got 100% of the remaining Jedi.

He also shouldn't have trusted Vader, who said of Luke "he will join us or die." It so happens that Luke did neither at Bespin. If I'd been the Emperor I'da put that one in the Deeply Suspicious column and figured that Luke and Vader were working together on something.

Guinastasia
10-27-2005, 07:15 PM
That and if you saw Revenge of the Sith, remember, Palpatine's master was pretty over-confident-until Palpatine offed him. He probably figured Vader would try-it's what the Sith do.

Revenant Threshold
10-27-2005, 07:51 PM
That and if you saw Revenge of the Sith, remember, Palpatine's master was pretty over-confident-until Palpatine offed him. He probably figured Vader would try-it's what the Sith do.

True. But quite often the master wins. IIRC correctly, there was an interview with George Lucas where he said that prior to the leg/arm cutting off and the replacements of whatever internal organs, Anakin had about 200% the force potential of the Emperor. Afterwards, it was about 80%. Palpatine probably thought Vader wouldn't attack because they both knew the Palpatine was the stronger of the two.

Any other mistakes besides the shield generator and Vader not being totally evil?

LiveOnAPlane
10-27-2005, 08:21 PM
I would add his incredible (to me) tossing away of his loyal minions...I'm thinking of Count Doo-Doo (sorry) here.

However the Duku(sp?)character was portrayed, I think the guy was burning his seed corn; i.e., those that were loyal to him and helped get him to where he was; he set himself up for a fall by relying too much on one minion.

I guess, secondarily, trying to KILL your right hand man's son in front of him was pretty dumb, too. But wha do I know? Maybe that is accepted Sith behavior.

smiling bandit
10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
At least one novel actually notes that Vader, had he given in truly and completely to the Dark Side, would have been able to repair his body (and presumably grow to his full Force power again). Nifty.

Looking at the Prequels, which did have a far better storyline as far as palpatine was concerned, he made a number of oversights, but they were comparitively minor and he was able to overcome them.

For example:

Ep 1:
It's likely that he intended to kill Amidala: some references in the novel imply that, as does Qui-Gon's line in the movie. Killing Amidala would make it impossible for the Trade Federation to legalize their move ex post facto. This would allow Palpatine to get that "strong sympathy vote" he needed, and ride a wave of popularity into power. Groovy.

But, Palpatine was able to bargain her escape into power, making the accidental failure into an advantage. Having Amidala there meant he didn't have to make any negative statements himself, and look humble while also being righteously indignant.

Episode 2:
Again, he was trying to off Amidala, for mostly the same reasons. A pretty young Queen dying suits his purposes a lot more than that same Queen heading the peace faction. He failed, but was able to insist that she hide out, killing her effectiveness.

Also in Episode 2, he probably didn't wish the war to start at that exact moment. Obi-Wan's locaitng Jango was not part of plans, surely, but it was also irrelevant. By the time the Jedi could do anything about it, the war was ready to start. Again, the Jedi's interference played into his hands. Jango attempted to capture Dooku - but Dooku had committed no crime. Great propaganda for Dooku. Republic 'agents' (Anakin and Amidala) commit assault and murder, blah blah blah. Then, Jedi and Republic troops make an "unprovoked" attack. None of it is the truth, exactly, but it's close enough that it makes great Agitprop.

And of course, as Chancellor, he could use that very same propaganda to talk about heroes nobly sacrificing their lives blah blah, while clamping down on the news to keep them from showing treasonous materials.

Fish
10-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Yeah, now that you mention it. His biggest mistake was actually showing up at Death Star II to gloat over his victory. Essentially, he was bait to lure the Rebels to attack at a time of his (the Emperor's) choosing. He could have accomplished the same thing by telling the Bothan spies he'd be there and sending some schmuck in a dark bathrobe instead. Not even the Jedi of whom there were none left but Luke could sense that Palpatine was the Sith Lord. He could've stayed at home and run things via hologram, as usual.

If he had foreseen Vader would bring Luke before him, Vader could just as easily have taken Luke via hyperspace to some other planet to confront the Emperor.

Only ego made the Emperor want to oversee the end of the Rebellion personally.

Revenant Threshold
10-27-2005, 09:01 PM
It's likely that he intended to kill Amidala: some references in the novel imply that, as does Qui-Gon's line in the movie. Killing Amidala would make it impossible for the Trade Federation to legalize their move ex post facto. This would allow Palpatine to get that "strong sympathy vote" he needed, and ride a wave of popularity into power. Groovy.

Ah, this would be a good thing for him, but her living is ok too; she's indignant enough from the attempt on her life and the death of her people to call for a vote of no confidence in the current chancellor, opening the way for him to take the seat. No Amidala, he'd have to have found a different senator to make the call, which (considering he'd go for the easiest to arrange) would mean more trouble for him than if Amidala lived.

Again, he was trying to off Amidala, for mostly the same reasons. A pretty young Queen dying suits his purposes a lot more than that same Queen heading the peace faction. He failed, but was able to insist that she hide out, killing her effectiveness.

Again, not a mistake; as you said, he got her to hide out, so either way it's a victory for him.

Plus, without Amidala at this point, he'd have nothing with which to entice Anakin later on. It's only the offer of being able to save her life that stops Anakin killing him; and we know that Palpatine was aware of their relationship for a very long time. He wouldn't have known that she could be used in this way, but he would have recognised her as a useful pawn. Remember, by this point, he knows he wants Anakin as his pupil, so this is going to take priority above anything other than his "taking over the galaxy" plan.

Also in Episode 2, he probably didn't wish the war to start at that exact moment. Obi-Wan's locaitng Jango was not part of plans, surely, but it was also irrelevant. By the time the Jedi could do anything about it, the war was ready to start. Again, the Jedi's interference played into his hands.

Palpatine wanted the Jedi to get involved. With them flying around trying to be of use, it kept them from stopping and thinking about what was going on. By the time of RotS, the Jedi know that the Sith Lord is someone among Palpatine's retinue; if he'd given them any time to think about it they would have started to suspect him.

Plus, with the Jedi investigating, they're going to find out that there's a conspiracy. This would seem to be bad, but again, it's what Palpatine wants. If the Jedi start attacking governmental figures or commanders of the army, he can use it to show the Jedi are trying to take over the Republic (and, in fact, this is what he tells the Republic occurs after Order 66).

Jango attempted to capture Dooku - but Dooku had committed no crime.

When was this?

Only ego made the Emperor want to oversee the end of the Rebellion personally.

Overconfidence again.

silenus
10-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Actually, I think it was the whole "kill your father and take his place at my side" bit that really blew it for old Palpy. That's what triggered the rage in Vader, not any residual Anakin. Vader got pissed, and made up his mind to off the Emp. Luke's whinging was just a distraction to the Emperor...Vader just tuned it out and bided his time until he could frag his boss.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D

smiling bandit
10-27-2005, 10:03 PM
When was this?

Sorry, I meant Obi-Wan.

Anyway, that was my point. Palpatine was able to manipulate Amidala, but he would rather have offed her. Amidala was always a wild card, and possibly the only thing which prevented his total victory in the end. Had it not been for her, Anakin might nmot have been wounded. He wouldn't have had Luke. One way or another, Amidala was the lynchpin which led to Palpatine's downfall.

Diceman
10-27-2005, 10:33 PM
One detail I like is how, at the end of Episode 2, there's really no way that the Jedi can stop Palpatine from getting his clone army. Remember, the idea of creating an army was very controversial. But when Yoda took the clone troops into battle to rescue the Jedi, this had the effect of legitimizing them in many people's minds. After all, if they're good enough for the Jedi to use, then they can't be too bad, right?

However, if Yoda had refused to use the clone troops, then the Jedi would have been slaughtered in that battle. With their numbers decimated, the Jedi would be unable to effectively police the galaxy. Then, the Senate would have no choice but to authorize the creation of an army, whether they liked it or not. The alternative would be anarchy.

Yoda's comments at the end indicate that he knew that his actions had played into the Sith Lord's hands, but obviously Yoda decided that it was better to keep the Jedi intact, and hope that they could stop the Sith later.

Voyager
10-28-2005, 12:29 AM
I agree he didn't make any major mistakes in the prequel - he played the Jedi like suckers. In RotJ he made lots.

First, he should have known that Vader was trying to turn Luke to the dark side and eliminate Palpatine. There are only two Sith, remember? If Luke becomes #3, someone gotta check out.

Second, once Luke was there, he thought he could turn him like his father. Big mistake, and why Luke is the real hero of the three first movies.

But the biggest one - he should have concentrated on the battle! He looked out the window at the pretty lights, but as far as I could see no one bothered to tell him that there was a battle around the shield generator. If he was so smart, he could have ordered a fighter or Star Destroyer to burn out the Ewoks from the air. (Don't cheer now.) I think that's why the stuff on the DS II was so important - Luke pinned down the only guy with brains in the Empire.

Captain Amazing
10-28-2005, 12:38 AM
He also should have made sure they built a railing around the bottomless pit.

Bob Loblaw
10-28-2005, 01:44 AM
What of Palpatine's plans went wrong, in no particular order:

1) Hideously deformed in battle with Mace Windu. He really should not reasonably have expected to beat 4 or 5 Jedi Masters at once. He was already an old man, and the only previous Jedi/Sith battles in the previous 1000 years were Obi Wan and Gui Gon v. Maul, which Obi Wan finally won by himself, and the Obi Wan and Annikin v Dooku and later Yoda v. Dooku battles. Yoda would have finished Dooku if he hadn't run. So while P figures he can beat Yoda if they go head to head, knowing he was a lot more powerful than Dooku, once P sees Annikin make mincemeat of Dooku, he really shouldn't be so confident.

2.) Thinking he had completely turned Vader misunderstood that Vader could be turned back exactly the way he was turned: by appealing to his desire for immortality and to protect Amidala.

3.) Thinking that he could turn Luke without knowing Luke. P knew Annikin well, and he was easily goaded emotionally and P knew all the buttons from knowing him for years. P wants Luke instead of Vader because Luke is going to be more powerful and isn't damaged goods. Luke also has far less personal motive to hate Palpatine like Vader does. But Luke is not emotionally adrift and playing with mixed loyalities like Annikin was. Luke knew who he was and wasn't going to turn, and P should have known this after Vader described the Bespin battle.

4.) P does not know that Luke still has help from Obi Wan. It is not clear that Vader ever told him that Obi Wan's death didn't involve a body. He can assume that since Yoda got away from him that Luke has access to Yoda. P does not know that Yoda has also passed and seems to discount that Yoda can help anyone. It is not clear to people who don't know that Yoda is, after RoftS only about 20 years away from dying. Someone that powerful with the force who is no longer in the dark can make an awful lot of trouble.

5.) P did not now about Luke and Leia. If they had both been trained by Obi Wan and Yoda since birth in a safe place, then the four Jedi could have laid their own traps. Luke and Leia could have operated in the open under false names (Leia did) and had surgically altered Yoda and Obi Wan helping them as long as they stay a planet away from Vader and P, which should be fairly easy in view of tens of thousands of planets to hide on. P's moves would be publicly broadcast, so staying a few steps ahead of him would be easy. Vader would be detectable and they could either stay a few steps ahead of him if he came onto a planet, or Yoda and Obi Wan could double team him. Remember, Obi Wan beat Vader when he was at full strength.

6.) Not finishing off Obi Wan and Yoda while they are on the run. Big mistake reasons above here and in others' posts.

7) Why would P want all that political power and responsibility? Wouldn't it interfere with his quest for magic power and suck up all his waking hours?

8) Not understanding that Obi Wan and Yoda were joining directly with the force after "dying" and not considering what influence they might have. It appears to have been only inspirational in the short run, who knows what would happen in thousands of years, but in the short run, it appears to be a small power, not the "if you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" that Obi Wan, that big liar, boasts of.

Voyager
10-28-2005, 02:26 AM
There must be some building code in that galaxy banning railings around bottomless pits.

Chronos
10-28-2005, 02:29 AM
1) Hideously deformed in battle with Mace Windu.What went wrong there? He did succeed in getting hideously deformed. That was his plan. Remember that scene? It was his own lightning that did that to him; the BMF with the 'saber was only deflecting it, not producing it. If Palpatine hadn't wanted to be hideously deformed, he could just turn it off. But, by allowing himself to be mangled, he could go up in front of the Senate and say "See what he did to me?". A Sith master is not about to let some pain and anguish get in the way of good propaganda.

enigmatic
10-28-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm fairly sure Lucas is on the record as saying that he was deformed all along and all the lightning did was strip away the illusion of health. We can't have any discussion of Palapatine and his curiously disposable apprentices without this (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/241489) surely.

Orual
10-28-2005, 08:06 AM
1) ...Yoda would have finished Dooku if he hadn't run. So while P figures he can beat Yoda if they go head to head, knowing he was a lot more powerful than Dooku, once P sees Annikin make mincemeat of Dooku, he really shouldn't be so confident.

But he wanted Annie to kill Dooku. It was a whole new-young-apprentice-kills-old-apprentice thing. P set it up, just like he did Luke v. Vader.

3.) Thinking that he could turn Luke without knowing Luke. P knew Annikin well, and he was easily goaded emotionally and P knew all the buttons from knowing him for years. P wants Luke instead of Vader because Luke is going to be more powerful and isn't damaged goods. Luke also has far less personal motive to hate Palpatine like Vader does. But Luke is not emotionally adrift and playing with mixed loyalities like Annikin was. Luke knew who he was and wasn't going to turn, and P should have known this after Vader described the Bespin battle.

To be fair to old Palpy, I highly doubt that Vader described the Bespin battle in any great detail.

Vader: So, uh, I told him we'd kill you and rule the Galaxy as father and son.

Palpy: Good...goood!

Tentacle Monster
10-28-2005, 08:16 AM

The Emperor knew that was a bad idea, for he had seen Space Mutiny.

Bryan Ekers
10-28-2005, 08:36 AM
There must be some building code in that galaxy banning railings around bottomless pits.

Yes, but OSHA was rife with rebel scum and the Emperor had them eliminated.

toadspittle
10-28-2005, 09:15 AM

Well, the DS was still under construction. All the railings were supposed to have been installed the following week.

JerH
10-28-2005, 09:59 AM
More than anything, not making sure the Jedi were exterminated between episodes 3 & 4.
Palpatine knew Yoda was still alive at the end of Ep. 3, but apparently gave up trying to find him at some point in the intervening years. If there's a guy out there as powerful as Yoda, I'm going to have a strike team searching every freakin' planet in the galaxy until I find him.

Obi-Wan, while admittedly living a secluded life, was living under his own name on a planet he had a connection with. His only protection was that Palpatine didn't know he was alive, but a sensible evil dictator would have put a flag on the name "Kenobi" just to be on the safe side.

For that matter, I'd have anyone associated with Vader/Anakin's former life under observation. Anakin's step-brother raising a kid called Skywalker should have been caught a lot sooner than it was.

Hampshire
10-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Actually, I think it was the whole "kill your father and take his place at my side" bit that really blew it for old Palpy. That's what triggered the rage in Vader, not any residual Anakin. Vader got pissed, and made up his mind to off the Emp. Luke's whinging was just a distraction to the Emperor...Vader just tuned it out and bided his time until he could frag his boss.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D

I'll go with this one too.
Especially since this is what Vader intended to do in the first place.
Vader wanted Luke to join him so they could off Palpatine together. Remember the line from Empire "Join me and we can rule the galaxy together as father and son."
So now Palpatine turns this on Vader and starts with the "Get rid of your Dad, and it's you and me kid", and does it right in front of Vader.
Luke tells him to get bent, Palpatine gives him the ol' "so be it", tries to kill Luke and then expects Vader to eat the line "Well, I really wanted you dead and Luke as my apprentice, but seeing that the little guy won't budge I guess I'll take you back as my right hand man, no hard feelings?"
Vader then changes his mind thinking "you know what Palpy, I've had enough of your crap. I'd rather go back to the light side that be your second choice. This is getting old. And besides, my plan was to get Luke to help me off you so I could take your place, now your going to kill the kid. How am I ever going to get promoted that way?"

Merijeek
10-28-2005, 11:06 AM
What went wrong there? He did succeed in getting hideously deformed. That was his plan. Remember that scene? It was his own lightning that did that to him; the BMF with the 'saber was only deflecting it, not producing it. If Palpatine hadn't wanted to be hideously deformed, he could just turn it off. But, by allowing himself to be mangled, he could go up in front of the Senate and say "See what he did to me?". A Sith master is not about to let some pain and anguish get in the way of good propaganda.

Well...

I don't think it was totally intentional. Yes, it was Palpatine's own lightning deformed him. However, I'm pretty sure it was the force(hah!) of that lightning that was keeping our BMF from taking off Palpatine's head.

So, if he turned off the lightning he dies. If he keeps it up it holds off BMF while slowly killing Palpatine. Thereby giving him time to plead with Anakin.

-Joe

Exgineer
10-28-2005, 12:04 PM
More than anything, not making sure the Jedi were exterminated between episodes 3 & 4.
Palpatine knew Yoda was still alive at the end of Ep. 3, but apparently gave up trying to find him at some point in the intervening years. If there's a guy out there as powerful as Yoda, I'm going to have a strike team searching every freakin' planet in the galaxy until I find him.

Obi-Wan, while admittedly living a secluded life, was living under his own name on a planet he had a connection with. His only protection was that Palpatine didn't know he was alive, but a sensible evil dictator would have put a flag on the name "Kenobi" just to be on the safe side.

For that matter, I'd have anyone associated with Vader/Anakin's former life under observation. Anakin's step-brother raising a kid called Skywalker should have been caught a lot sooner than it was.
There probably was some sort of search mounted, but I'd imagine that after a decade or so of the two surviving Jedi causing him absolutely no trouble whatsoever it would become a bit of a back-burner issue.

Merijeek
10-28-2005, 12:38 PM
There probably was some sort of search mounted, but I'd imagine that after a decade or so of the two surviving Jedi causing him absolutely no trouble whatsoever it would become a bit of a back-burner issue.

Combine that with the whole idea of flagging every Kenobi out there (only a few hundred thousand) and the like and it becomes a bit impractical.

Besides, everyone knows that once you go Darth you never go back - so what's the big concern? It's not like his kid (who died with mom) is going to be raised on some backwater for 20 years and then get trained by an old Jedi who is going to send a half-trained kid out to take out Mac Daddy and Mac Granddaddy...the Macs are the guys who took out the entire freakin' Jedi Order!

Your weakness and cowardace disgusts me! Guards! Execute him! Put him on the pneumatic catapult and launch him over a railing!

-Joe, almost had a seizure while laughing due to Tentacle Monster

Guinastasia
10-28-2005, 01:23 PM

True...but Tatooine was outside Imperial jurisdiction. It was in the Outer Rim, controlled by the Hutts. I mean, think of how many times the CIA tried to kill Castro and failed. Think of Tatooine like Cuba.

So Obi-Wan is now known as "Old Ben" (probably only his neighbors knew his last name), living near some little backwater town like Anchorhead, which is I guess a Mos Eisley suburb. He doesn't have any ties-he lives alone, he's largely self-sufficient (I believe he trades with the Jawas), and so he probably was able to hide there. Plus, it was the LAST place Vader would look. He doesn't want to go back there. His mom's dead, he only met his step-family once, he was a slvae there. Not a happy place to be.

But it wasn't like there wasn't a Jedi hunt going on-there was, right up through the overthrow of the Empire. I'm sure more than a few managed to hide out (and if you buy into the novels and stuff, there were!)

Chronos
10-28-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't think it was totally intentional. Yes, it was Palpatine's own lightning deformed him. However, I'm pretty sure it was the force(hah!) of that lightning that was keeping our BMF from taking off Palpatine's head.So all that talk of bringing him to trial was just misdirection? And besides, it didn't look from Mace's grip and arms that he was pushing on the lightsabre, so much as finessing it: Holding it in the exact position and orientation needed to deflect the lightning back at Palpy.

Fish
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
See, it all comes down to the Emperor being too infatuated with his own personal Force powers. He relies upon them to the exclusion of using his actual brain cells.

Most of his mistakes come from relying on his own vision too much instead of relying on espionage and intelligence and good old forward planning. He has no agents in the galaxy that he trusts to advise him, not even Vader. He plans decently to things he can foresee, but he doesn't seem to have contingency plans for things he cannot foresee.

Palpatine: "I see... a mighty... duel. It ranged all over. They were both Jedi masters."
Vader: "Who won? How did it end?"
Palpatine: "I dunno. Our side, most likely. I didn't look."
Vader: "Should we track them both?"
Palpatine: "The loser is nothing. Only Princess Leia matters."
Vader: "Do you think it could be a trap?"
Palpatine: "Nah, probably not. It's probably not important. Couple of Jedi fighting for control over the universe? Face it, we're gonna have that one in the bag."
Vader: "Yes, Master."
Palpatine: (dancing like Colonel Sanders) "In the bag BABY. Yeah, uh-huh, uh-huh. Give it up for the Emperor. Inna house."
Vader: "Uh..."

Guinastasia
10-28-2005, 02:12 PM
So all that talk of bringing him to trial was just misdirection?

Not at first. I think that that would probably be the ideal situation, but since Palpatine offed three other Jedi Masters, Mace was probably prepared to kill him if he had no other option.

Merijeek
10-28-2005, 02:30 PM
So all that talk of bringing him to trial was just misdirection? And besides, it didn't look from Mace's grip and arms that he was pushing on the lightsabre, so much as finessing it: Holding it in the exact position and orientation needed to deflect the lightning back at Palpy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Windu's exact words, "He's too dangerous to live!"?

Mirroring, of course, exactly what Palpatine said about Dooku - and demonstrating to Anakin that the Jedi weren't all that much better than the Sith.

-Joe

Bryan Ekers
10-28-2005, 02:41 PM

They tried, but when they got close they decided he wasn't the Kenobi they were looking for.

He could go about his business.

Move along.

smiling bandit
10-28-2005, 03:57 PM
He relies upon them to the exclusion of using his actual brain cells.

Not at first anyway. And remember, he even invited Anakin to cut his head off, if it would mean the continued Sith domination fo the universe. And according to Novels, at least, he didn't intend to die anyway...

panamajack
10-28-2005, 10:01 PM
The railing thing was his biggest mistake. He had everything planned perfectly, but he failed to die in front of Luke. (http://www.brunching.com/lukeside.html)

Even Amidala had the good sense to do that (but she somehow failed to appear to anyone other than Leia, apparently).

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.