PDA

View Full Version : Do French women in general shave their armpits?

pool
10-30-2005, 01:17 AM
Is it true that most French women don't shave their armpits or is this just a dated joke that no longer applies?

Jman
10-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Many don't. Many do. I think younger people tend to shave nowadays, but it's not a 100% thing. At least, that's from personal observation on the several times I've been to France.

irishgirl
10-30-2005, 05:11 AM
It's dated.
Probably a slightly higher percentage don't shave than in the USA, but it's much less than you'd think.

irishgirl, who has spent time in French female communal dressing rooms.

Una Persson
10-30-2005, 06:55 AM
IME there seems to be a divide at about age 35 or so, where most women younger will and most older won't. There is another divide with married/unmarried, where it appears most married women stop shaving.

I've always found Italian women to be less likely to shave their armpits than French women.

Spavined Gelding
10-30-2005, 07:30 AM
In the late 60s (a generation ago)I asked my German secretary/receptionist about this. She said that three kinds of women shaved, street walkers, movie stars and Americans. She was not trying to be funny. The younger women were shaving and the ads on German TV at the time for ladies razors, roll-on deodorant and lotions meant that change was coming. You got the idea that Frau Mannstein did not approve of this change. She was a sad case but typical of many: a childless, middle aged widow whose husband has disappeared on the Eastern Front and who had worked for the US Forces since the end of the war.

pool
10-30-2005, 07:37 AM
She said that three kinds of women shaved, street walkers, movie stars and Americans.

It seems bizarre that street walkers would be in this group. ;)

Operation Ripper
10-30-2005, 07:41 AM
irishgirl, who has spent time in French female communal dressing rooms

This fascinates me for some reason. :)

AHunter3
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Nasty habit. Shaved armpit skin looks oogy.

Eve
10-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Is it true that all the girls in France do the hoochie-coochie dance?

RickJay
10-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Damn straight they do.

BleizDu
10-30-2005, 01:56 PM
A month ago I saw a woman with unshaved armpits.
It was so unusual that the sight clearly hit me.

So I would say it's no longer true.

mangeorge
10-30-2005, 02:10 PM
This question would seem to be unrelated to the fact that french women are so skinny.
An other interesting factoid I've gleaned from foriegn films.
mangeorge, who considers the "bikini shave" to be ugly.

Johanna
10-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Nasty habit. Shaved armpit skin looks oogy.Mine doesn't!

Anyway, don't get too smug, Americans. Muslims—men and women alike—shave* both their armpit hair and pubic hair as a religious tradition. From their point of view, pubically hirsute Americans must seem as gross as Europeans seem to Americans.

*Actually, Muslim women tend to "wax" it off with sugar.

Charlie Tan
10-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Where/when did this meme start?
Ogling yurpean wimmin for over 30 years in at least 15 countries tells me that most of them shave. The dividing line seems to be that younger women shave more ... ahem ... areas, whereas women over 30 stick to armpits and legs.

Colibri
10-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Where/when did this meme start?

Most likely about the time when American women began to shave. When was that?

Eve
10-30-2005, 05:31 PM

Post-WWI. Depilatories and women's razors began advertising in the late 1910s, early '20s.

Plynck
10-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Most likely about the time when American women began to shave. When was that?This may be an urban myth, but I heard once that it started as a result of men returning from WWI. They would tell the women at home that European women shaved their legs and armpits, and the American women adopted this custom. Later the women here realized that it was only the prostitutes that did this, and the men had developed this mistaken impression by... oh I don't know... spending time in meaningful conversations with these women, perhaps?

saoirse
10-30-2005, 07:01 PM
aw geez I just went to a Halloween party as a French Maid and, while I did shave my legs, I left my armpits. When people asked, I said, "Well y'know, I am a French maid.

NinjaChick
10-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Mine doesn't!

Anyway, don't get too smug, Americans. Muslims—men and women alike—shave* both their armpit hair and pubic hair as a religious tradition. From their point of view, pubically hirsute Americans must seem as gross as Europeans seem to Americans.

Huh, this I did not know.

How do you remove hair with sugar?

zahara2
10-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Huh, this I did not know.

How do you remove hair with sugar?

you cook the sugar.

Johanna
10-30-2005, 09:14 PM
A thick heated paste of sugar, maybe with lemon juice added, is spread over the area and strips of cloth applied on top. The sugar cools. Then the strips of cloth are sharply pulled away.

It's a difficult method to get the hang of, not very efficient unless you're an expert at the technique. How do I know this? That's... personal. A slightly modernized version of the method is sold in America, packaged under the brand name MoomTM, which comes from the Persian word for 'wax'. No actual wax is present.

Grrr!
10-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Mine doesn't!

Oh, great! Now, I have a fetish for Muslim women.

Like THAT'S just what I needed; another fetish, thanks for that. :rolleyes:

:D

Shalmanese
10-31-2005, 02:27 AM
A thick heated paste of sugar, maybe with lemon juice added, is spread over the area and strips of cloth applied on top. The sugar cools. Then the strips of cloth are sharply pulled away.

It's a difficult method to get the hang of, not very efficient unless you're an expert at the technique. How do I know this? That's... personal. A slightly modernized version of the method is sold in America, packaged under the brand name MoomTM, which comes from the Persian word for 'wax'. No actual wax is present.

Uh wha? Cooked sugar is HOT and should be kept far away from sensitive bits.

Shalmanese - who, after cooking bacon in the nude once, now ensures adequate skin coverage whenever dealing with hot liquids.

Amaranta
10-31-2005, 02:45 AM
This may be an urban myth, but I heard once that it started as a result of men returning from WWI. They would tell the women at home that European women shaved their legs and armpits, and the American women adopted this custom. Later the women here realized that it was only the prostitutes that did this, and the men had developed this mistaken impression by... oh I don't know... spending time in meaningful conversations with these women, perhaps?

See now, I had heard that when the men all went off to war (depending on who's telling the story, WWI or WWII), the companies selling shaving-type accesories realised they needed someone to sell their product to. So they encouraged the hot young starlets of the time to appear in public without stockings, showing off hairless legs, and with their shaved armpits visible. And, since every women wanted to look like a star, they all started shaving their armpits and legs.

The fact that there's so many different versions furthers my opinion this is an ubran myth. I can't find anything on Snopes about this, however.

bienville
10-31-2005, 02:53 AM

I've heard that they don't even care if you can see their underwear.

Ponster
10-31-2005, 04:26 AM
Out of the 30-40 French women I know between, most of whom are between 20 to 40 years old, all shave their armpits.

I think it's kinda dated !

Arwin
10-31-2005, 04:45 AM
I think there should be a law against shaving natural body-hair. Why do people want themselves to look like pre-pubescents, other than to cater to their paedophiliac tendencies, hmmm? :dubious:

bienville
10-31-2005, 05:38 AM
I think there should be a law against shaving natural body-hair. Why do people want themselves to look like pre-pubescents, other than to cater to their paedophiliac tendencies, hmmm? :dubious:

I don't care what they look like, I just don't want anything caught in my teeth.

Green Bean
10-31-2005, 05:48 AM
I dunno. But it would be fairly easy to assess the bikini-line shaving habits of French women. Would one of our French dopers mind going to that place where the ladies wear no pants? I hear there's a hole in the wall where the men can see it all.

Gymnopithys
10-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Unshaved armpits ?
Offensive, repugnant, repulsive, execrable, abominable etc. ( from Oxford Thesaurus) :D

It's natural ! :p

Arjuna34
10-31-2005, 07:15 AM

The master speaks: Who decided women should shave their legs and underarms? (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_012.html)

Arjuna34

AHunter3
10-31-2005, 09:15 AM
I don't care what they look like, I just don't want anything caught in my teeth.
You engage in axillingus often?

vetbridge
10-31-2005, 09:21 AM
irishgirl, who has spent time in French female communal dressing rooms.

Wot, no pics?!?

lisacurl
10-31-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't have a desire to look like a pre-pubescent, I live in a hot climate.

Anaamika
10-31-2005, 09:42 AM
:dubious: right back at ya. Why can't we get though these kinds of threads without insults, eh? If you want to remain unshaved, feel free, and I won't insult you, but don't you insult me either for shaving. I hate excess hair anywhere but my head, and I don't do it for my "paedophiliac tendencies", I do it because

a)I like smooth skin
b)I'm Indian, I sweat a lot and hate it
c)I like it! And that's all there is to it.

Law against shaving natural body hair - sure hope you were joking.

AHunter3
10-31-2005, 10:02 AM
I don't think there should be a law against it, but I sure wish more women would quit doing it!

Girlfur.... mmmm! :)

AskNott
10-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Last year, I met a woman, here in the US, who had shaved the sides of her head, but not her armpits. It was clearly a fashion statement, but I don't know what she was saying.

samclem
10-31-2005, 12:13 PM

Mod Note

Arwin. If you want to start a thread debating the subject, or if you want to Pit people who shave their bodies, then you know where those fora are. If you want to contribute to this thread, then do so without such comments. Understood?

samclem GQ moderator

AHunter3
10-31-2005, 12:25 PM
if you want to Pit people who shave their bodies, then you know where those fora are

Ahem, "pit"? :D

and shouldn't that be "foramen"?

Arwin
10-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Anaamika, Samclem, you two certainly know how to beat around the bush ... :rolleyes: :D

But I've learnt my lesson. Next time I'll use a clearer smiley. ;)

( In all honesty, I didn't think *anything* in this thread would be taken seriously, except perhaps the link to Cecil A. )

clairobscur
10-31-2005, 02:18 PM

What is the "hoochie-coochie dance"?

Johanna
10-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally, M. le Clairobscur, "hoochie-coochie dance" was a woman-exploitative exotic dance performed at American carnivals in the late 19th century, a chance to show women dancing scantily clad using the excuse of a "Biblical" theme like... Jezebel... or the Wh*re of Babylon... or the most perennially popular favorite, the striptease called Salome and the Dance of the Seven Veils. This was America's heartland, plain staunch Christian folk. You could get away with staging nude women as long as you invoked the Good Book. Bible-based sex workers. Sometimes I just have to ponder how utterly bizarre we Americans must seem to the rest of the world....

Johanna
10-31-2005, 04:13 PM
P.S. The great modern dancer of the early 20th century, Ruth St. Denis, introduced America to Middle Eastern and Indian dance that she had researched. She got her start as a hoochie coochie dancer, and used her brilliant creativity to turn it into fine art.

clairobscur
10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
. Bible-based sex workers. Sometimes I just have to ponder how utterly bizarre we Americans must seem to the rest of the world....

This concept of religious themed strip-tease is indeed really weird.

I can now tell with near certainty that french women don't do the "hoochie-coochie dance"..... (or else a vast conspiracy is hiding it from me). French women probably aren't religious enough. Too bad...

Eve
10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
I can now tell with near certainty that french women don't do the "hoochie-coochie dance".....

I am shattered. What other certaincies of my childhood will you destroy? Next, you'll tell me there's no place in France where the ladies wear no pants!

Arwin
11-01-2005, 05:53 PM
I am shattered. What other certaincies of my childhood will you destroy? Next, you'll tell me there's no place in France where the ladies wear no pants!

But ... there is a whole city now in Spain where both men and ladies are legally allowed to go around wearing no pants (or anything else for that matter). That's something you can fill the gaping hole with (the hole left by the shattered childhood certaincies, mind you, not the dark pits left uncovered by the OP).

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.