PDA

View Full Version : We have a poet laureate...

Rodgers01
11-07-2005, 12:44 AM
but how about a novelist/artist/sculptor/composer/filmmaker laureate? Who would you nominate in these categories?

roger thornhill
11-07-2005, 12:58 AM
but how about a novelist/artist/sculptor/composer/filmmaker laureate? Who would you nominate in these categories?Since the PL
is my cousin, I get to go first. For Composer Laureate, who else but Cecil (pronounced Cee-cil after the English fashion, naturally)?

Rodgers01
11-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Since the PL
is my cousin, I get to go first. For Composer Laureate, who else but Cecil (pronounced Cee-cil after the English fashion, naturally)?
(Just wanted to say that that's pretty damn cool that your cousin's the Poet Laureate.)

roger thornhill
11-07-2005, 01:05 AM
(Just wanted to say that that's pretty damn cool that your cousin's the Poet Laureate.)Gee, thanks, not a fake Internet claim either. The veracity of my claim may be judged by the fact that I've never met him and know almost nothing about him. I DID though read a novel by him about 19th century doctors, which was passing fair. Poetry-wise, I'm no judge, but I sometimes feel he's merely going through the motions.

Rodgers01
11-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Gee, thanks, not a fake Internet claim either. The veracity of my claim may be judged by the fact that I've never met him and know almost nothing about him. I DID though read a novel by him about 19th century doctors, which was passing fair. Poetry-wise, I'm no judge, but I sometimes feel he's merely going through the motions.
What inspired the thread was that I heard what I think was the Poet Laureate being interviewed today on NPR. Do you know if that was your cousin?

Tevildo
11-07-2005, 04:49 AM
For Composer Laureate, who else but Cecil (pronounced Cee-cil after the English fashion, naturally)?

Um - "Cee-cil" is an exclusively American pronounciation. :) The English pronounciation is "Sessil".

roger thornhill
11-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Um - "Cee-cil" is an exclusively American pronounciation. :) The English pronounciation is "Sessil".Whatever. So what? I wasn't making a serious claim. Get a life! What are you trying to say, son? My brain hurts, newbie.

Anyway, I can't get the image of Daniel Day-Lewis (whose forebear, another Poet Laureate, I think, was a Cecil - honestly, what a precious name!) playing Cecil in Room With a View out of my mind when I visualise the board's very own swot. Someone who'd prefer poking around in the library with clammy fingers rather than playing a set of badminton with Helena Bonham-Carter is just the sort of fellow who'd get turned on by fish that fly into penises. A real man, of course, is only concerned with the fish flying out of his penis.

lissener
11-08-2005, 03:15 AM
Whatever. So what? I wasn't making a serious claim. Get a life! What are you trying to say, son? My brain hurts, newbie. . . .Wow. Pretty uncalled for.

C K Dexter Haven
11-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Moderator does a loud HARUMMPHF:
roger, I agree with lissener entirely on this. Your remark was uncalled for. We were all new once, and we want to greet newcomers warmly and friendly-like. You're being rude.

lissener, please refrain from playing junior mod. You got a complaint, use the REPORT BAD POST button. OK?

roger thornhill
11-08-2005, 07:27 AM
roger, I agree with lissener entirely on this. Your remark was uncalled for. We were all new once, and we want to greet newcomers warmly and friendly-like. You're being rude.I was joking, as I hoped a) the repetition of the "hazing" style insults and b) the second paragrpah showed. Anyway, I apologise.

Polycarp
11-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Um - "Cee-cil" is an exclusively American pronounciation. :) The English pronounciation is "Sessil".

Yeah, but we Americans want to emphasize how active and motile he is! :D

flight
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I was joking, as I hoped a) the repetition of the "hazing" style insults and b) the second paragrpah showed. Anyway, I apologise.
In his defense, I thought it was obvious.

roger thornhill
11-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Yeah, but we Americans want to emphasize how active and motile he is! :DBut not so mobil on a badminton court. And with a rather fragil disposition.

PS I have elsewhere attacked the practice I coined "newbism", i.e. trying to put new posters in their place. So the whole insult thing was intended as an ironic intertextual reference. Next time I'll link.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.