PDA

View Full Version : Is there anywhere I can watch the surprise ending of St. Elsewhere?

andrewdt85
11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
You know, the surprise ending of the series in the last five minutes of the last episode. I can't find any downloadable file on Limewire or anything on Google.

Just, like, see it.

Cliffy
11-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Hmm. The only place I've ever seen it since the day it aired is in my brain.

Do you know what happens?

--Cliffy

andrewdt85
11-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Yep, I just wanted to see it. Sounds so weird, but I have no interest in the show.

I'll just get the dvd, I suppose.

World Eater
11-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Can someone put the ending in a spoiler tag or something? I feel so left out here. :p

andrewdt85
11-11-2005, 05:48 PM
It turns out the entire show took place in the mind of an autistic child, who daydreamed the events for entertainment.

Captain Amazing
11-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Can someone put the ending in a spoiler tag or something? I feel so left out here. :p

It turns out that the hospital and everyone in it really was the daydream of an autistic child.

World Eater
11-11-2005, 05:52 PM
That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. You guys aren't kidding me?

Mr. Blue Sky
11-11-2005, 06:07 PM
That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. You guys aren't kidding me?

Interesting choice of words, but, yes, that's how it ended.

andrewdt85
11-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Better not tell him about Bob Newhart. ;)

Ferret Herder
11-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Better not tell him about Bob Newhart. ;)
That was a great ending!

World Eater
11-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Interesting choice of words, but, yes, that's how it ended.

Yeah I know, but retarded was the only word that did my thoughts justice. Let's replace it with bizarre. Do I even want to know about Newhart?

Mr. Blue Sky
11-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah I know, but retarded was the only word that did my thoughts justice. Let's replace it with bizarre. Do I even want to know about Newhart?

Newhart refuses to sell the inn to the Japanese. He gets hit in the head with a golf ball (his inn is now a hazard on a golf course) and when he wakes up, he's in bed with Suzanne Pleshette on the set of the 70s Bob Newhart Show. The entire run of Newhart was a dream!

Alias
11-11-2005, 06:30 PM
"I Love the 80s: 3D" showed the ending. I forgot which year it's in, but if you watch the endless reruns, you're bound to catch it eventually.

World Eater
11-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Newhart refuses to sell the inn to the Japanese. He gets hit in the head with a golf ball (his inn is now a hazard on a golf course) and when he wakes up, he's in bed with Suzanne Pleshette on the set of the 70s Bob Newhart Show. The entire run of Newhart was a dream!

Newhart was a comedy though, the other ending just strikes me as seriously odd.

Mr. Blue Sky
11-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Newhart was a comedy though, the other ending just strikes me as seriously odd.

I'll give you that, but you have to give them credit for trying something different.

andrewdt85
11-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Absolutely- unlike w/ Dallas, when they just did the shower surprise thing to set things back to the way they were before that season. That's lame.

Mr. Blue Sky
11-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Absolutely- unlike w/ Dallas, when they just did the shower surprise thing to set things back to the way they were before that season. That's lame.

Didn't Roseanne "write" the last season of her show?

World Eater
11-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I'll give you that, but you have to give them credit for trying something different.

That's true. I now share the same desire as the OP to see the clip.

I'm curious here, was the ending a big deal? Was it all over TV guide or something? Or did people take it in stride?

Jinx
11-11-2005, 08:32 PM
???At the very end, wasn't the autistic boy staring at a snowglobe with the building of St. Eligias (sp?) inside it????

andrewdt85
11-11-2005, 08:40 PM
???At the very end, wasn't the autistic boy staring at a snowglobe with the building of St. Eligias (sp?) inside it????

Wikipedia says so.

sinjin
11-11-2005, 10:01 PM
There was more to the St. Elsewhere ending than has been presented:

The dad of the autisitic kid was a pre-eminent surgeon during the run of the show, but in the last episode he was revealed to be just a blue collar worker and not a surgeon at all. The chief of surgery (i'm just remembering this, maybe he was a bigwig admin kind of guy) during the run of the show ended up being the blue collar Grandad of the autistic kid in the last episode. In the final episode, as indicated by others, the kid just imagined the whole St Elsewhere series had occurred in a snowglobe that he stared at "autistically." BTW the autistic son of the surgeon appeared on a regular basis during the show, so it all kind of tied together, more than you might expect.

Correct my recollections if I'm wrong above. It's been awhile.

mobo85
11-11-2005, 10:10 PM
The ending of St. Elsewhere inspired a funny article I linked to in my sig. (I never saw the episode or the show, but I loved the article.)

There was also a modification to the credits of the show in the final episode:
The cat in the MTM logo died on an operating table, perhaps to represent the show "dying."

Ferret Herder
11-11-2005, 10:12 PM
There was more to the St. Elsewhere ending than has been presented:
I think you're right - my memories are fairly faded but that does seem to follow what I recall.
Specifically that the boy did appear in the show, and that he dreamed in people he knew into his St. Elsewhere daydreams. Now that I'm thinking about it, it reminds me of the end of the Wizard of Oz - Dorothy's adventures were "just" a dream, and she saw people she knew in it, playing different roles like the Tin Man, etc.

andrewdt85
11-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Yep- read the Wikipedia page on it, too, not just the sig line link, and all about the Tommy Westphall Universe Theory of television reality. It goes over those detail of the last ep. you guys mention, too.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.