PDA

View Full Version : Gordon R Dickson question

glee
12-27-2005, 08:42 PM
I know Gordon Dickson has written a range of science fiction and fantasy novels.
I particularly like the world described in 'Jamie the Red' - a mixture of medieval technology and some magic, perfect for giving me roleplaying ideas.

Can anyone tell me if there is a followup novel, set in the same world?

DfrntBreign
12-27-2005, 08:50 PM
I've never read "Jamie the Red", but I seem to remember the world from "A Dragon For Saint George" being similar to what you described. (I haven't read or even seen this book in years, so I may be way off, maybe even the title and author.)

DrFidelius
12-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Jamie the Red was the character Dickson originated for the Thieves' World shared universe stories.

I have a vague rememberance of a follow-up after the whole shared universe game got lame...

DrFidelius
12-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Okay, so the old memory is not what it used to be. Dickson never seems to have gotten around to writing his Thieves' World story, although Jamie appeared in Poul Anderson's contribution.

There was a second Jamie book by Dickson. Beyond the Dar Al-Harb

I know nothing about it except that it is a penny book on Amazon's Marketplace.

Czarcasm
12-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Jamie the Red was the character Dickson originated for the Thieves' World shared universe stories.

I have a vague rememberance of a follow-up after the whole shared universe game got lame...
Correct. He first appeared in "The Gate Of Flying Knives", a story in the first Thieves' World (http://www.thievesworld.info/novels/world.htm) book.

glee
12-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Thank you all for your replies. Happy New Year to all. :D

I have ordered 'Beyond the Dar Al-Harb', and will dig out my Thieves World collection!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.