PDA

View Full Version : Little lines in movies that you love or saved the movie for you.

Shirley Ujest
02-24-2006, 07:10 AM
In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy our hero Arthur Dent, is at the Alien Equvalient to Department of Motor Vehicles and there is a long line.

He mutters, " I'm British. I know how to queue."

That line kept me giggling to this day.

SnakesCatLady
02-24-2006, 07:17 AM
"Ok. So, she's a dog"

-Ghostbusters

Sage Rat
02-24-2006, 07:33 AM
To me the most sublime bit of dialog ever written is the wonderful

Nathan: Alice, please? Your dog, Alice - it and my appetite are mutually exclusive.
Alice: Well, what's wrong with the dog?
Nathan: Simple: he's been licking his asshole for the last three straight hours. I submit to you that there is nothing there worth more than an hour's attention and I should think that whatever he is attempting to dislodge, is either gone for good... or there to stay.

Otanx
02-24-2006, 07:36 AM
All of the Monty Python quotes in Sliding Doors, but the best one is the one at the very end of the movie. Got to *love* a movie where the last words spoken are a Monty Python quote. I like the movie anyway, but that made it one of my favorites.

-Otanx

robdavsuss
02-24-2006, 08:04 AM
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

-- The Godfather

corkboard
02-24-2006, 09:27 AM
"I don't believe in it anyway!"
"What?"
"England."
"Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?"

--Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It's just the way the "conspiracy" line is delivered. Brilliant.

Kizarvexius
02-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Sage Rat, you beat me to it. The Long Kiss Goodnight was a fairly lame movie, but that particular snippet of dialog was its redemption.

tanstaafl
02-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Mine's from The Last Starfighter

How many starfighters do we have left?
Including yourself?
Yes!
One.

Just the utter dead-pan way the last line is delivered makes it. A friend of mine said we got our money's worth from that film with that one exchange.

(Mediocre movie at best, but it does have a number of really good lines...)

cactus waltz
02-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Said by Jude Law in the movie Closer:

"Lying is the currency of the world."

I didn't like the movie a whole lot, it didn't exactly make it better that I'm not particularily fond of either Natalie Portman or Julia Roberts. But I loved that line.

Improv Geek
02-24-2006, 09:42 AM
"There's no way that should have worked." -- Sahara

ddgryphon
02-24-2006, 09:44 AM
If I'm reading the OP right, it isn't a line that made an already good movie memorable, but a movie that you didn't much care for saved by an outstanding line or snippet of dialogue.

I'll come back to this. I have trouble remembering breakfast.

Trunk
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Sage Rat, you beat me to it. The Long Kiss Goodnight was a fairly lame movie, but that particular snippet of dialog was its redemption.
That's so funny.

I just watched that movie last Saturday for the first time ever, and I couldn't place where Sage Rat's quote came from.

There are other lines in that movie.

There's a part where Sam Jack gets kicked in the balls. After something else happens, Geena Davis says to him, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Sam: "I hope not, because I'm thinking about how much my balls hurt."

That movie has some winners in it, even though it's mostly crap.

Just1Lurk
02-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Otanx:
All of the Monty Python quotes in Sliding Doors, but the best one is the one at the very end of the movie. Got to *love* a movie where the last words spoken are a Monty Python quote. I like the movie anyway, but that made it one of my favorites.

I never saw Sliding Doors. What was the quote?

Zeldar
02-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm not going to be able to provide a direct quote. I hope I'm able to paraphrase closely enough.

In Valley Girl, Nick Cage and his buddy are on the side of the road looking out over the valley and one of them says something along the lines of. "Just think. Out there somewhere at this moment <whatever her name is> is waiting for me (or you -- I forget which)."

There's proabably another line or two and then Cage looks directly at his buddy and says in as deadpan and expressionless a way that (as far as I know) has never been duplicated, "I didn't know that."

(There is a similar line with the same method of delivery in National Treasure which I feel must be an homage to that very scene.)

I'd love to see the scene again to get all the words right, but I remember VG as being exceptionally weak but for that scene.

zenith
02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Schlocky '60s Psycho-ripoffs time. Bette Davis in two different movies.

In Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte , to Olivia de Havilland, referring to deHavilland's job title, "Public relations! Sounds awwwfully dirty to me!"
I hear Bette every time I see some spin doctor on my TV.

In Whatever Happened to Baby Jane , Jane(Davis) walks into her sister Blanche's room (Joan Crawford). An old" Blanche Hudson" tear-jerker on the tube is nearing the end. Jane leers at Blanche and says "Ya finished with yaself?"
That one always cracks me up.

jali
02-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Line that I love:

"That'll do pig." Babe

"Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?" Clueless

Can't think of any movie savers offhand.

Dubious Weasle
02-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Split Second

"We need bigger guns! We need big big fucking guns!"

Not what you'd call great cinema but lines like this made it great.

Zeldar
02-24-2006, 12:01 PM
In Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte , ...

MAD Magazine had a knock-off of this they called, "Hack, Hack, Sweet Hasbeen."

Ethilrist
02-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Lara Croft, Tomb Raider. A line spoken by the actor who, because of it, I suspect will make a great James Bond:

"And now for a cold shower..."

Infovore
02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Mine are from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, though since I adore the movie they didn't save it for me--I just like them a lot.

VIOLET: By gum, it's gum!
WONKA: Wrong!
(the greatness is all in the tone in which he delivers the line--as if he's saying "Right!")

and

"So shines a good deed in a weary world."

BrainGlutton
02-24-2006, 02:08 PM
From Titan AE:

PREED: Hmm! An intelligent guard! Didn't see that one coming!

Godfrey Daniels
02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
"that's Happer...h-a-p..eh, p-p-e-r.."

Godfrey Daniels
02-24-2006, 02:43 PM
"that's Happer...h-a-p..eh, p-p-e-r.."

uh, that was from Local Hero

also from the same movie...

"and there's two g's in bugger off! "

ddgryphon
02-24-2006, 02:45 PM
"The Cowboy Way" Apart from a scene with a nursing calf and a guy stripped naked from the waist down, while tied to a fence, I remember almost nothing of this movie. I don't know why Kefer S. and Woody H. were cowboys in New York. I do remember as they get to NYC they park the truck and prepare to go in somewhere. One looks to the other and says, "Hey, waitaminute, this is New York, we better lock the truck up." (or words to that effect) at which point they both turn to their doors, put their hands through the open windows and lock the truck before walking off.

Memorably funny, because it was such a Monty Python kind of moment in a "Realish" comedy.

Snooooopy
02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
There's a great line in Selena during the scene where Selena and her boyfriend, Chris, are planning to get married in defiance of her father. In the midst of all of the high drama, Chris just can't think of the word "bridesmaids" -- the best he can do is a clumsy description of women in different-colored dresses. I thought it was a great "guy" moment.

Sage Rat
02-24-2006, 03:00 PM
The Long Kiss Goodnight is an excellent film; you just need to realise that it's like a Quentin Tarantino film, where 90% of the point is to just revel in the bad-assness of the characters. The only difference being that TLKG also has a story, and that distracted most people too much methinks.

I really want to see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Bomzaway
02-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Although I really liked the latest King King, the attraction wasn't necessarily the dialog. However, I did like one part where Jack Black tells his assistant, "Remember, failure is always momentary." But a not long aftwerwards, Naomi Watts' character tells JB, "Success never lasts." Or something like that.

Blacks' character recognized the coincidence after Watts' says her line and the ironic look on his face was pretty funny.

Scarlett67
02-24-2006, 04:29 PM
The only good line in the Michael Keaton bomb Multiplicity, which is basically a ripoff of any number of Calvin & Hobbes storylines:

Michael has been making copies of himself. One day he leaves the clones alone at home and returns to find an extra one, who's a little . . . off. Pressed for an explanation, the clones respond:

"Well, you know how sometimes when you make a copy of a copy and it's not quite as sharp as the original?"

Only funny thing in the whole mess.

Ephemera
02-24-2006, 04:44 PM

Huh. I loved Sliding Doors (and John Hannah, especially) but being not the least bit interested in Monty Python, it seems I missed on quite a bit.

"The Cowboy Way" Apart from a scene with a nursing calf and a guy stripped naked from the waist down, while tied to a fence, I remember almost nothing of this movie. I don't know why Kefer S. and Woody H. were cowboys in New York.

This movie is actually something of a guilty favorite (just lacking in guilt. Is there a phrase for that? Anyway, I just love Woody Harrelson.) and they were in New York to try to find the kidnapped daughter of their friend and mentor.

Marlitharn
02-24-2006, 06:28 PM
I watched Cursed with Christina Ricci the other day. Okay movie, nothing special, but the "Yay, go gay!" line cracked me up.

CandidGamera
02-24-2006, 08:00 PM
I can think of plenty of movies where their only real merit lies in their dialogue, but it's usually the dialogue as a whole, not one single great line.

So I'll have to warp the OP's intent.

The Boondock Saints - dialogue sparkles from start to finish, but the one line that slays me every time involves the delivery of a Mushmouth impersonation through in Irish brogue.

Equilibrium - solid little action movie. Christian Bale outdoes himself, though, when he delivers the chillingly perfect line : "No. Not without incident."

My pick for the Ghostbusters line would be "When someone asks you, if you are a God, you say YES!"

Paul in Qatar
02-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I hope someone out there can give me the real dialogue from Citizen Kane. I only half-remember it.

Reporter: Thanks for meeting with me.
Chairman of the Board: I'm the Chairman of the Board, I have lots of free time.

Chairman of the Board: Memory? Let me tell you about memory. The first time I came to New York, I was on the ferry, it was pulling in. Another was pulling out. There was a girl, a beautiful girl. She was buttoning her glove. She never saw me. We never spoke. I don't know her name.

There is not a single day in my life when I don't think of her.

Bryan Ekers
02-24-2006, 08:53 PM

I'm personally more fond of:

Mitch: And another thing; did you always curse this much? When we first met, you were all "oh, phooey, I burned the darn muffins." Now you walk into a bar, five minutes later sailors come running out. What up with that?
Samantha: What are you, a Mormon?
Mitch: Yeah, that's right, I'm a Mormon. That's why I just drank three vodka tonics and smoked half a pack of Newport.

Digital Stimulus
02-24-2006, 09:13 PM
A favorite excerpt from the movie Trust (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103130/) (note -- while this is one of my favorite movies, if you ever rent it, you need to get past the first half hour. Not that it's bad, but the characters pissed me off enough that I almost had to turn if off; but it's necessary for their evolution):

Matthew: Why don't you wear your glasses?
Maria: They make me look stupid.
Matthew: How do you mean?
Maria: You know, brainy, like a librarian.
Matthew: I like librarians.

I have to say that I think The Long Kiss Goodnight was a tremendous flick! It starts off so normal, just a pleasant, mild-mannered housewife in a pleasant, mild-mannered town, and progressively descends into a level of unbelievable (and wondrous) absurdity that left my mouth agape.

Oh, and Rosencrantz and Guidenstern Are Dead just has too many fantastically quotable lines to even make an attempt at picking just one.

Shirley Ujest
02-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I could probably start a Spongebob Appreciation Thread, but until then,

my favorite line du jour of his, in an episode where he and Patrick are selling chocolate bars to become entrepreneurs and brain storming ways to sell the bars:

Patrick: I know! Let's Get Naked!

Spongebob: No. Let's save that when we sell real estate.

GOLD!

A tossaway line in The Lion in Winter by Peter O'Toole commenting on his profile : My finest angle. It's on all the coins.

Evil Captor
02-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Warning: Bondage content! The Easily Squicked should run shreiking in horror and terror at once!

There's a good but not great hentai called "Dragon Pink" that has a brilliantly subtle little line. In one scene, the hero, Santa, is planning to capture a monster. To that end, he leads his fellow adventurers to a clearing. Then he leaps on his cat slavegirl Pink, strips off her clothes and ties her hands behind her back while their companions look on. And Pink says:

"It's too early."

We're given no other clues about the sort of things that go on around their campfire each night, but now we know what goes on each night, and that it goes on in front of, or maybe with, their companions. Nice bit.

interface2x
02-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Mine's from The Last Starfighter

My dad says that his theory of life is illustrated in a single exchange of lines in that movie. I can't remember the exact wording, but it's something like this:

"It's just the two of us against their entire army? It'll be a slaughter?"
"That's the spirit!"

Bomzaway
02-25-2006, 12:53 AM
My favorite line from The Last Starfighter are (cut from IMDb):

Lord Kril: Damage report!
Kodan Officer: Guidance system out. Auxiliary steering out.
Lord Kril: Divert! Divert!
Kodan Officer: She won't answer the helm! We're locked into the moon's gravitational pull. What do we do?
[sound of Lord Kril's eyepiece swinging over left eye]
Lord Kril: We die.

Bernard Marx
02-25-2006, 01:15 AM
From State and Main; both lines delivered by William H. Macy:

"Who designed these costumes? It looks like Edith Head puked, and that puke designed these costumes."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Why don't you sue me in the World Court." (It's the earnest, deadpan delivery of this one that makes it so great.)

marque elf
02-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Once, while watching one of those gloriously dumb dubbed Japanese monster movies from the 1960s, I'm not sure which one, I heard in a crowd scene where a bunch of men building a road are being sent home because of the imminent monster, a small barely audible voice from the back of the crowd as it breaks up, saying to no one in particular:

"Don't take any wooden nickels."

Talk about Theater of the Absurd. :D

Ranchoth
02-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Kinda a cheat, but the "pilot" episode (not the original pilot, but it's what Fox made 'em run first. And it's not the greatest.) of Firefly, "The Train Job."

Not even a full sentance. Just one word.

"Darn."

kath94
02-25-2006, 02:30 AM
Truly, Madly, Deeply

I really like this movie, so the following line didn't "make it" for me, but it's one of the sexiest lines ever spoken, by one of the sexiest acting voices around...

After Juliet Stevenson's character complains that the lips of her dead-husband-come-back-as-ghost are cold

[Juliet Stevenson] What are you doing?
[Alan Rickman] Warming my lips.

Oh, to DIE for! (no pun intended!)

pseudotriton ruber ruber
02-25-2006, 05:56 AM
I hope someone out there can give me the real dialogue from Citizen Kane. I only half-remember it.

Reporter: Thanks for meeting with me.
Chairman of the Board: I'm the Chairman of the Board, I have lots of free time.

Maybe this is the other half, because I don't have my copy handy either, but I think he says. "I'm Chairman of the Board. I have nothing BUT time."

Of course, those lines (both great) hardly salvage CK from being a terrible movie.

Paul in Qatar
02-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah, but what about the girl with the glove?

SteveG1
02-25-2006, 09:16 AM
I watched Cursed with Christina Ricci the other day. Okay movie, nothing special, but the "Yay, go gay!" line cracked me up.
I love the part where the girl is describing the female werewolf to the police - fat thighs, big butt, etc - and the werewolf jumps out to give her the finger. That had me rolling.

pseudotriton ruber ruber
02-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah, but what about the girl with the glove?

"A fellow can remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry. And as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in. And on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all. But I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I hadn't thought of that girl."

pseudotriton ruber ruber
02-25-2006, 09:40 AM
"A fellow can remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry. And as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in. And on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all. But I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I hadn't thought of that girl."

That's from http://www.filmsite.org/citi3.html, which has a lot of other quotes, including the correct version of the "nothing BUT time" one.

It's odd but you've picked my two favorite quotes from a movie full of them.

PunditLisa
02-25-2006, 10:19 AM
From Almost Famous (at the house of a teenage fan who recognized Russell and asked him if he'd like to hang out with some kids. Russell has just quit Stillwater and is on an all-night bender):

William watches as Russell slugs from a Jack Daniels bottle.
They sit in the bedroom of a mindblown fan, 17 year-old AARON.
He has long frizzy brown hair, tied in a spray behind him.
Many from the neighborhood are now pouring into the home.

RUSSELL
(eyes glowing)
You. Aaron. Are what it's all about.
You are real. Your room is real.
Your friends are real. You are more
important than... than... all the silly
machinery. And you know it! In eleven
years it's gonna be 1984, man. Think
about that!

AARON
Wanna see me feed a mouse to my snake?

RUSSELL
Yes.

danceswithcats
02-25-2006, 03:10 PM
From Cat on a Hot Tin Roof:

Big Daddy to Brick: There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity.

friedo
02-25-2006, 04:45 PM
My favorite line ever was delivered by an inconsequential character in a bar in the spectacularly mediocre dystopian sci-fi flick Freejack:

You keep lookin' at me like that, you'll see me kill you.

Cracks me up every time.

Paul in Qatar
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM

thankyouthankyouthankyyou.

Mayo Speaks!
02-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Among my friends from high school, the line by the Italian guy (what's his name?), "We could kill EVERYONE!" from The Boondock Saints is enough to make any one of us have a coniption. I've only seen the movie once, and have no real desire to see it again, but that line is delivered perfectly.

TJdude825
02-25-2006, 09:35 PM
I could probably start a Spongebob Appreciation Thread, but until then, ... Ah! Spongebob!

I don't remember the exact wording, but Spongebob and Patrick have left town for some reason, and they have a campfire. Spongebob wonders aloud, "If we're underwater, how can--" WHOOSH! The fire goes out. A few minutes later, it re-ignites without warning, and Patrick says, "Hey! The fire's back." Spongebob just sort of blinks.

Also,
Squidward: What was that thing that Spongebob said?
Spongebob in thought bubble: Licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.
Squidward: No, the other thing!

The one I was going to put is Eternal Sunshine. I guess it's sort of a spoiler. C: This is it, Joel. It's gonna be gone soon.
J: I know.
C: What do we do?
J: ... Enjoy it. *teardrop*

Dr. Rieux
02-25-2006, 10:53 PM
The line that elevated Spiderman II from very good to excellent:
"I will not die a monster!"

Chanteuse
02-25-2006, 11:38 PM
One of my favorite lines comes from the movie Silverado. Yeah, it's a corny western flick, but I love it anyhow!

But anyway, there's a scene where the Bad Guys are beating up Scott Glenn (by riding a horse over the top of him). Suddenly there's a gunshot and big bad Danny Glover says, "Now, I don't wanna kill you, and you don't wanna be dead."

One from Quigley Down Under that I get a kick out of: Quigley and Cora have just been dumped out in the middle of nowhere with no water or supplies (and Quigley's had the crap beat out of him, too). Cora looks up at him and tells him, " Don't worry, on a new job it's quite common for things not to go well at first."

From MST3K, The Movie: "Give Uncle Scrotor a hug!"

Darkhold
02-26-2006, 12:44 AM
"Fuck me, He cleared it" That line was so out of the blue for that movie nearly made it tolerable.

Someone mentioned Titan AE that movie always makes me sad.....not for the destruction of earth or anything else that happens in it only that they so obviously tried to make it cool and failed so totally. I loved nearly every line from Gune in that movie "Do you know what this is? Neither do I. I made it in my sleep. I made it out of 'somethingsomething' VERY unstable. I put a button on it. I want to press it, yes. But I don't know what will happen if I DO!" the few people I've seen that movie with always love that line as much as me.

RobuSensei
02-26-2006, 02:35 AM
The last five minutes or so of the otherwise execrable film, Cool World, were a crazy montage of the cartoon world mixing with the real world. At the end, you have the cartoonist-turned-cartoon hero trapped in a pocket dimension with the villain of the piece, Holli Would. He's bouncing around the landscape, talking about the loving home they'll build together, and at one point, he's saying, "...and I'll CONTINUE to FIGHT EVIL over here..." It almost saved the flick for me.

Holli's last line, "Pencil-dick," was also almost redeeming.

In whatever Muppet movie had them going to England, when they were dropped from the plane in cargo crates, the fact that Gonzo's was labeled "whatever" cracked me up. Also the exchange between a truck driver and Oscar the Grouch:

Driver: What are YOU doing here?
Oscar: A very short cameo.
Driver (Peter Ustinov): Me too.

The Big Cheese
02-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Upside of Anger, meh movie. karen Allen is hitting the bottle pretty good in this one. She walks into the brunch with her family and soon to be in-law family, pulls aside a waiter before sitting down and says "get me a bloody mary as fast as humanly possible."

Opposite of Sex, ok movie. Starts out with a voice-over of Christina Ricci...."My mother was the kind of mother who always said she was her daughter's best friend. Whenever she did, I thought, "Great, not only do I have a shitty mother, but my best friend's a loser bitch."

Lady Gydea
02-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Any and all Brick lines saved Anchorman for me, and the whole "You know how I know you're gay?" thing was the redeeming factor for The 40-Year Old Virgin.

Ensign Edison
02-26-2006, 03:50 PM
"You're pretty funny for a guy with nine fingers."

Buckler of Swashing
02-26-2006, 08:59 PM
'Sometimes my wife forgets that she isn't a space alien.' - The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

CandidGamera
02-26-2006, 10:42 PM
'Sometimes my wife forgets that she isn't a space alien.' - The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Every single line of dialogue in Lost Skeleton is classic, though.

"Well, I suppose in my time I've seen a bear do even some things a bear wouldn't do."

bob_loblaw
02-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Among my friends from high school, the line by the Italian guy (what's his name?), "We could kill EVERYONE!" from The Boondock Saints [...]

and the following line: "i'm strangely comfortable with that."

Rachael Rage
02-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Nobody has mentioned Showgirls??!!

There are a million of them, but the best is:I used to love Doggy Chow too! Before that line, I thought I was watching the worst movie of all time. After, I realized it was high comedy. Now, every line in that film is hilarious.

Kythereia
02-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Nobody has mentioned Showgirls??!!

There are a million of them, but the best is: Before that line, I thought I was watching the worst movie of all time. After, I realized it was high comedy. Now, every line in that film is hilarious.

vaderspal, welcome to the SDMB. As a denizen of Cafe Society, there's something we should let you know about Showgirls...

Jayn_Newell
02-27-2006, 09:07 AM
From Star Trek: Nemesis:

"Data, shut up."

I always have this impression of him leaning towards Riker and saying, "I've wanted to say that for years."

Ensign Edison
02-27-2006, 09:23 AM
vaderspal, welcome to the SDMB. As a denizen of Cafe Society, there's something we should let you know about Showgirls...

Okay, that one was kind of funny.

So, I'm picky about dialogue. I hated wasted lines, stupid lines, the stupid empty shit characters say just to have something to say there, like: "Let's go." So we could debate whether Reservoir Dogs is a legitimate masterpiece on its own terms or whatnot all day, but when Joe says "All right, ramblers, let's get ramblin'", instead of "Let's go" or "Let's get going" or "Let's roll" or - heads should roll - "Let's get this show on the road", I love that. Maybe it's schticky, but what the hell.

There's a romantic sports comedy called The Cutting Edge that I would happily go to bat for, despite the fact that most romance and most sports flicks leave me cold. It's not perfect, but....Moira Kelly juggles bitchy, witty, intense, petulant, charming, and a range of temperatures from freezing to steaming hot without batting a lash, and even dumb, pretty lug D.B. Sweeney has moments of real warmth and clarity. Sorry, I sound like I'm selling the veal.

The point is, I love it in part because there's little BS in the script. It starts with a "Meet Cute" (thanks Ebert) for crying out loud, but one of my favorites, and here's one example of the kind of lines it's full of: Both are late for their Olympic games, running through the hallways at top speed as the music above them swells. They collide; he knocks her to her ass, she curses him, and he says, nastily, "Honey, where I'm from we stand for the National Anthem."

Later, when her fiancee, in one of those (all too rare, these days) moments where some character advances the plot by being moderately observant instead of incredibly, unbelievably stupid, declares, "Foreplay" as he figures out why she keeps fighting with her skating partner, that's the perfect line for the moment.

But the context is what sells both of these moments. I used to be more impressed with individual, well-crafted lines than I am now. Now I look for lines used like pillars, and beams, perhaps decorative but always functional, informing us in some small way about someone, or something, essential to the film.

I've never seen Boondock Saints - though everyone should see the documentary about its making, Overnight - but I bet I wouldn't like it, and that ten years ago I would have loved it. This is not a comment on the maturity of people who like it, just my own changing tastes. I could be wrong, of course. I'll check it out sometime and see.

Bryan Ekers
02-27-2006, 09:59 AM
"I have come to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all outta gum."

Pretty much all of They Live, actually.

archmichael
02-27-2006, 10:21 AM
From Elizabeth

Walsingham: Your Grace must go with these men to the Tower.
Norfolk: I must do nothing by your order. I am Norfolk!
Walsingham: You were Norfolk. The dead have no titles.

tanstaafl
02-27-2006, 11:42 AM
In whatever Muppet movie had them going to England, when they were dropped from the plane in cargo crates, the fact that Gonzo's was labeled "whatever" cracked me up. Also the exchange between a truck driver and Oscar the Grouch:

Driver: What are YOU doing here?
Oscar: A very short cameo.
Driver (Peter Ustinov): Me too.
There was another good line from another of the Muppet's movies (they all run together, can't remember which one) from Diana Rigg.

Kermit: Why are you telling us all of this?
Diana Rigg: It's all plot exposition and character development; it has to go somewhere.

doglesby
02-27-2006, 11:45 AM
"He was aquitted but karmically convicted. He died of a heart attack right after." from Zero Effect.

There are so many lines from Firefly, but the one that convinced me I love that show is, "use of a s-what?"

Kythereia
02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
From Elizabeth

Walsingham: Your Grace must go with these men to the Tower.
Norfolk: I must do nothing by your order. I am Norfolk!
Walsingham: You were Norfolk. The dead have no titles.

Two of my other favourite lines (Elizabeth was a great movie):

The way Cate Blanchett delivers "Then let them sign it... and let it all be done", in that cold, hard voice, is chilling.

When she meets the Duke of Anjou in his quarters and he's wearing a dress, her deadpan, almost-unable-to-keep-a-straight-face recital of "Although my affections for you remain undiminished, after an agonizing struggle I have decided to put the interests of my people ahead of my affections" (or something like that) is brilliant.

It's more in the delivery than in the dialogue, but they're fantastic lines. You have to see the movie to get them.

Merijeek
02-27-2006, 01:31 PM
"You're pretty funny for a guy with nine fingers."

I thought it was "You're pretty funny for a guy taped to a chair".

Assuming we're talking about the same movie, of course.

-Joe

foolsguinea
02-27-2006, 06:25 PM

-OtanxI really wasn't expecting a mention of Sliding Doors, or even thinking about it, but you're right. That is an amazing final line.

Also from that movie: "I'm your friend, mate! I'm here to help you!"

Sage Rat
02-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Just remembered this bit from Kindergarten Cop:

[Crisp's mother is buying a heap of pediatric medication]
Cullen Crisp: The boy's not sick.
Eleanor Crisp: Doesn't hurt to take precautions.
Cullen Crisp: Mother, you are going to make him sick. You stuffed all this crap down my throat for years, and there was nothing wrong with me!
Eleanor Crisp: That's why there was nothing wrong with you.
Cullen Crisp: ...Now, how can you argue with that?

Seven
02-28-2006, 03:49 AM
I don't remember the direct quote but..

At the start of Fight Club Tyler asks if the Narrator has anything to say. He says "I can't think of anything".

At the end of the movie they work the same scene again but this time the Narrator says "I still can't think of anything." Tyler says "Oh, flashback humour. Very funny."

I also loved "If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla."

There are a ton of great little lines in the movie Evolution but the one that cracks me up everytime is when Harry freaks out because the alien fly got in his solid gold dancer enviro-suit. Ira is attempting to calm him down.

Ira: It's ok. It's ok. Who's the man?
Harry: You're the man.
Ira: No.. YOU'RE the man.
Harry: I'm the man.

It doesn't read very funny, but the delivery is comic gold.

Of course almost ALL of Ghostbusters has great lines. My personal favourites are:

Ray: Listen! Do you smell something?

and

Ray: Where do these stairs go?
Peter: They go up.

Bosstone
02-28-2006, 08:01 PM
As far as lines that saved movies, Star Wars III has a single brilliant line that stands out amid the rest of Lucas's dialogue:

Padme: "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."

Also, Police Academy is playing right now, and although it has a lot of giggle-worthy lines, my favorite is easy:

Mahoney: "...I'm trapped here?"
Commandant Lasaard: "Oh yes. We all are."

Rachael Rage
02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
vaderspal, welcome to the SDMB. As a denizen of Cafe Society, there's something we should let you know about Showgirls...Er... :confused: Sorry, n00b here, you're gonna have to explain that one to me.

Rocketeer
03-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Er... :confused: Sorry, n00b here, you're gonna have to explain that one to me.

Even mentioning Showgirls in a thread is enough to kick off several pages of heated discussion over whether it's a masterpiece of satire or a minorpiece of s**t.

And for heaven's sake, don't bring up Starship Troopers!!!! ;)

LonesomePolecat
03-01-2006, 08:29 AM
There was a really lousy horror movie called Gator, which involves a giant, mutant gator roaming around a small Florida town eating anybody. The thing hid out in the sewers. Police scoping the situation had this to say:

First cop: How many people have been killed?

Second cop: We're not sure. We think the first victim was a sewer worker named Ed Norton.

The rest of the film was a complete waste of time, but it was worth for this one line.

bouv
03-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Someone mentioned Titan AE that movie always makes me sad.....not for the destruction of earth or anything else that happens in it only that they so obviously tried to make it cool and failed so totally. I loved nearly every line from Gune in that movie "Do you know what this is? Neither do I. I made it in my sleep. I made it out of 'somethingsomething' VERY unstable. I put a button on it. I want to press it, yes. But I don't know what will happen if I DO!" the few people I've seen that movie with always love that line as much as me.

Heh, I'm a closet Titan A.E. fan. It's a fun movie. Not ihgh art, ro anything, but not bad. But there are soem great liens in it, though, especialyl by Gune (Goon?)

I'm partial to:

"I finished my nap!"

Ellen Cherry
03-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Night Shift has a lot of funny lines, which pretty much save it from the stupid movie that is basically is. However, my favorite is Michael delivering one of his "ideas" into a tape recorder, so he doesn't forget them later:

"Feed mayonaise to tuna. Cut out the middle man."

Ellen Cherry
03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Night Shift has a lot of funny lines, which pretty much save it from the stupid movie that is basically is. However, my favorite is Michael delivering one of his "ideas" into a tape recorder, so he doesn't forget them later:

"Feed mayonaise to tuna. Cut out the middle man."

That's Michael Keaton.

cbawlmer
03-01-2006, 09:33 AM
There was a really lousy horror movie called Gator, which involves a giant, mutant gator roaming around a small Florida town eating anybody. The thing hid out in the sewers. Police scoping the situation had this to say:

First cop: How many people have been killed?

Second cop: We're not sure. We think the first victim was a sewer worker named Ed Norton.

The rest of the film was a complete waste of time, but it was worth for this one line.

The message "Harry Lime Lives" was also painted on a sewer wall. I like that movie. Watching with beer helps, but Robert Forster is a lot of fun in it. Only the beginning is set in Florida, and it's actually called Alligator. Gator is an unrelated Burt Reynolds movie.

LonesomePolecat
03-01-2006, 09:52 AM
The message "Harry Lime Lives" was also painted on a sewer wall. I like that movie. Watching with beer helps, but Robert Forster is a lot of fun in it. Only the beginning is set in Florida, and it's actually called Alligator. Gator is an unrelated Burt Reynolds movie.
I stand corrected.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.