PDA

View Full Version : Bode Miller leaves Olympics empty-handed...BWA HA HA HA!

Evil One
02-25-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm thrilled. I had had enough of the Bode hype before the olympics even started.

"Oh, Bode....share your philosophy of life with us as you demonstrate skiing skills that border on the mystical".

"Your parents were hippies? Wow. What free spirits they must be."

"It's another Nike ad! Look at Bode's stubbled face and the stare that reflects the competitive spirit that obviously burns brightly inside!"

Crunch time....c-ya.

And before any of you start in with armchair psycology diagnoses of self-esteem or jealousy issues on my part, that's a dry hole. I'm just enjoying the fall of another object of overhyping. The more NBC and Nike want me to worship him, the more I resist.

Fionn
02-25-2006, 02:58 PM
I also appreciate the irony.

Bode's (paraphrased) "I don't need feedback because I know when I'm good" commercial seems particularly amusing now.

drm
02-25-2006, 03:00 PM
It annoyed me with how much press this guy got.

First of all, Benny Raich is the best overall skier in the world right now with Michael Walchhofer and Bode Miller a distant second and third. If anyone had any shot at five gold medals it's Raich (but that's a bit of a stretch, he's not much of a downhiller). Raich performed well in the events he should have (except for a rather disappointing performance in the Combined) but with two golds I'm sure he's at least somewhat pleased.

Bode isn't ranked number one in any of the alpine events this year. He is only ranked one, two, or three in one event (the combined in which is ranked second). The season in which he dominated was last season and if memory serves he tailed off a bit at the end.

The only real shock is that Rocca didn't finish the Slalom and Raich didn't finish the combined. I suppose it's also a bit of a shock that Deneriaz won the Downhill but the nature of the downhill allows for someone who is just having a great week to win (the same goes for the Super G as well but there wasn't really any surprises there).

All I'm saying is that, although I think Bode Miller is a world class jerk, he should have never expected or been expected to win a huge haul of medals. The fact that he was is nothing but arrogance.

astro
02-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Check out the ads at the bottom

This one's the best

Live the Bode Way (http://www.nike.com/joinbode/index.jsp?promoID=USJB_AD_011606_GS) (Nike website)

Bode's Video "Manifesto" is there

Diogenes the Cynic
02-25-2006, 03:27 PM
I must live under a rock. I've never heard of this guy. Is he a snowboarder or something? Is he an asshole? Fill me in. Who is this guy?

(Yeah, I know I could google. I'm too lazy)

drm
02-25-2006, 03:50 PM
He's an alpine skier who was the overall champion last year. THere was a huge story about him a few months ago about the fact that he said he had skied either hungover or drunk on occasion (I forget but it was one of the two).

Ferret Herder
02-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah, he had all this hype over him, but wouldn't shut his mouth and kept embarrassing the US Olympic ski team with stupid comments about skiing drunk, about how Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong both knowingly used drugs to cheat, and so on.

tomndebb
02-25-2006, 05:57 PM
And yet, he seems, mostly, to have simply tagged along on the hype to make money from the commercials. I don't recall him claiming to have actually been better than the rest of the world, and his comments as he packed his bags made no claim that he had been robbed or that anyone was responsible for his performance but him.

He seems to have simply been having fun through the whole thing. The corporate sponsors may be guilty of foolishly offering him money to hype their products, but he seems to have just been "Bode" throughout the whole thing.

Burrido
02-25-2006, 07:02 PM
He seems to have simply been having fun through the whole thing. The corporate sponsors may be guilty of foolishly offering him money to hype their products, but he seems to have just been "Bode" throughout the whole thing.

That's what I got from him. I seem to recall reading in an International Herald Tribune article where he stated he didn't care if he didn't win any medals. There's also the rumors of him partying and out everynight til late drinking. Blame Nike if anything.

Richard Pearse
02-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Sounds similar to what happened to that swimming chap at the last olympics. Phelps was it? He got hyped to the max but didn't live up to the hyped expectations (still did quite well if I recall.) Sad thing about him was that he didn't seem to buy in to the hype, and just wanted to swim his races.

KSO
02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Michael Phelps won 6 gold and 2 bronze, instead of 8 gold.

Finagle
02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the spoiler, Dude The NBC Olympic coverage is running the downhill now, but I guess I won't be on the edge of the couch waiting for Bode Miller's run

JRDelirious
02-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Right, he wasn't going around claiming to be the greatest, and apparently those really familiar with the sport, as opposed to the "scene", knew he was in no way a sure shot. When will sponsors learn?

saoirse
02-25-2006, 07:33 PM
I believe that he skiied whe he was still drunk from the previous night. The same thing Max McGee admitted to doing about 40 years ago, before the Super Bowl. Everyone thought that was cute then.
I thought his take on the medal fetish was pretty cool, actually. I've always been annoyed by people who only pay attention to the first, second and third place finishers. And counting medals is just the dumbest thing I can imagine.

Archergal
02-25-2006, 07:47 PM
I bet Nike feels pretty stupid right now too. Jeezopete.

ElvisL1ves
02-25-2006, 09:26 PM
The Gold Medal for Cluelessness (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/olympics/2006/02/25/mens.slalom.ap/index.html):"As far as my own personal involvement, I would not change anything. I had an awesome Olympics," Miller told AP sports columnist Jim Litke in an interview.But it gets better: (http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sportsevent/article.adp?id=20060225130309990007&ncid=NWS00010000000001)"It does matter that it's the Olympics. I just did it my way. I'm not a martyr, and I'm not a do-gooder. I just want to go out and rock. And man, I rocked here."..."Me, it's been an awesome two weeks," Miller said. "I got to party and socialize at an Olympic level."

Citius, Altius, Fortius.

RickJay
02-25-2006, 11:40 PM
The clueless one here is Nike. Miller is a ski bum who had one hot streak and is just making hay while the sun shines. Crazy like a fox. Now he can go home and participate in the really important event; counting and folding.

Nike, on the other hand, just invested a kazillion dollars in a multimedia, all-out ad campaign centred around a spokesman who ending up winning exactly the same number of Olympic medals in Turin as I did.

Who's laughing now?

tomndebb
02-26-2006, 07:09 AM
The Gold Medal for Cluelessness (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/olympics/2006/02/25/mens.slalom.ap/index.html)I don't see any indication that Bode was clueless. He got a free ride to Turin, big bucks from Nike, and had a fun time. Now he has gone home with no regrets.

What clue do you think he missed? He had an awesome [time partying at] the Olympics. (In context, his "I rocked" statement was clearly a declaration that "I partied hearty," NOT a claim that "I rocked [the Olympics].")

In your role of professional iconoclast, you should be celebrating Bode, not (rather unsuccessfully) scowling him down.

BoringDad
02-26-2006, 08:36 AM
He seems to have simply been having fun through the whole thing. The corporate sponsors may be guilty of foolishly offering him money to hype their products, but he seems to have just been "Bode" throughout the whole thing.Yeah, it's hard to blame Bode that NBC played him every 20 minutes before he started losing.

And based on the coverage, he skied about his typical. He was known for very hot/cold performance and he showed that. Heck, but for a minor mistake on one of the slaloms where he hooked a gate he would have medalled. And in one of the other ones he gave a good performance and came in something like a close 4th. 4th in the Olympics against world class competition is not something to downgrade.

The coverage I hear now is "Whaaaa! He wasn't a superman after all, but just a normal really good skiier! What a poser!" Cry me a river Nike.

SkipMagic
02-26-2006, 08:41 AM
I'll move this downhill to Cafe Society, our forum concerned with sports.

Ice Wolf
02-26-2006, 08:46 AM
I thought, the last time I knew, that Cafe Society didn't want sports threads here. Has there been a chance of heart?

middleman
02-26-2006, 08:59 AM
I am pleased Bode didn't win squat. It is his fault that NBC ran him constantly. Just when they would start to ignore him, he'd make another asinine comment to get the attention back his way.

I would rather have seen the Al Qayda representative win a medal than see my own countryman in this case.

Back to the bunny slopes, Bode!

BoringDad
02-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I am pleased Bode didn't win squat. It is his fault that NBC ran him constantly. Just when they would start to ignore him, he'd make another asinine comment to get the attention back his way.That's a mighty big assumption. Maybe he's just a loudmouth who doesn't think before he speaks rather than a conniving attention seeker.

SkipMagic
02-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I thought, the last time I knew, that Cafe Society didn't want sports threads here. Has there been a chance of heart?
We decided a little while back that sports threads do belong in Cafe Society (being an entertainment and leisure activity). This isn't to say that an inclusion of anything sporty automatically puts it in Cafe Society, however. To quote Dex:
-- "In Cecil's column about the different ways to get to first base, he forgot rule 17(b)(iii)..." goes in Comments on Cecil's Columns
- "That $*#@ umpire's $*#@ stupidity lost the game for my team!" is flaming, and belongs in the Pit.
- "I saw Michael Jordan at the laundromat!" belongs in MPSIMS
- "Which sports figure would you most like to have in bed?" belongs in IMHO.
- "Should city governments subsidize professional sports so heavily?" belongs in Great Debates, it's a political discussion even if it's peripherally about sports.
- "How many runs did Babe Ruth hit in 1937?" is a factual question that goes in either GQ or Cafe Society. GQ would be preferred, since this is a factual question and not a discussion.
Since this particular thread was focused, albeit negatively, on a sports supahstar, I booted it over here.

Mr. Duality
02-26-2006, 09:36 AM
It seems very likely that less partying may have left him with sufficient "edge" to win a medal or three. I watched him lose steam in the latter parts of some runs; At the finish lines he was seriously sucking wind.

Olympic athletes have a responsibility to represent their countries to the best of their abilities. Partying late the night before a competition is irresponsible. In a perfect world, that slot on the U.S. Ski Team would've gone to someone who would take it seriously.

Ice Wolf
02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the explanation, and your patience, SkipMagic. I'm a little out of touch. Cheers! :)

Revedge
02-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Bode's problem is he does not communicate his ideas well so he comes across as a lazy, partying, doesn't care, ski bum.

Skiing is like golf, there are no sure things. Tiger Woods does not win every tournament he enters. Dominant golfers only win a handful of starts during the year. But they normally finish high in the standings.

A dominant skier may only win a handful of eventw during the year. The current world cup leader in men's slalom has not won a race all year. If you read the REALISTIC projections for the games, he did not do as badly as it seems. Before the games for instance, SI had Bode projected to recieve only one medal. In the combined that he was leading before he hooked a gate with a ski tip and was DQed. Bode was top ten in evey event that he finished at the olympics.

We as a nation have short memories. It wasn't all that long ago that Americans were only also rans in Alpine skiing. For the first time ever we were expected to challenge the Austrian skiers. But the pre olympic hype always gets too big. And our team can never live up to it. Look at poor Chad Hedrick, he wins three spped skating medals at these games and is reported as a failure because he didn't win five gold medals. He has done something that only two other americans have done in the past (3 or more medals in a single games) and his realults are "disappointing?" No wonder the ratings are poor for the Olympics. They can never live up to the hype. If that is "disappointing" then we will never have a "good" result.

Bode is right, it is about the competition, not the medals. He just does not communicate it well.

JRDelirious
02-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Olympic athletes have a responsibility to represent their countries to the best of their abilities. Partying late the night before a competition is irresponsible. In a perfect world, that slot on the U.S. Ski Team would've gone to someone who would take it seriously.

Sure. But in the imperfect world, you go to the Olympics with the people who want to go to the Olympics (and make the qualifiers), and you take your chances at what is those individuals' motivation for wanting it. And meanwhile USOC's and IOC's motivation, for all the talk about patriotism or the ideals of Sport, is to keep those endorsement/royalties dollars and euros rolling in...

RickJay
02-26-2006, 10:32 AM
He has done something that only two other americans have done in the past (3 or more medals in a single games)
I assume you mean at the Winter Games.

JRDelirious
02-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Looking at Revedge's post, yes, I must agree that the hype in American media goes beyond "our athletes have to represent the country to the best of their abilities" and instead becomes "our athletes had better kick the world's ass hands down or else they're just bums".

Lissa
02-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Bode's problem is he does not communicate his ideas well so he comes across as a lazy, partying, doesn't care, ski bum.

I really got the impression that he didn't care from the coverage before the run where he straddled the gate. The announcers said that the athletes had been given an hour to examine the track before their runs, but Bode left after only twenty minutes. When he straddled the gate, I thought "Guess you didn't look at that one carefully enough, huh?"

Operation Ripper
02-26-2006, 11:54 AM
IMHO he's a complete shiite, who had the ability to achieve everything olympic in his sport, but chose instead to dick around and not show up. He had the choice to make lots of money and win, or make lots of money and lose. He chose the latter, and I do mean CHOSE, the sorry bastid.

Yookeroo
02-26-2006, 12:31 PM
I don't see any indication that Bode was clueless. He got a free ride to Turin, big bucks from Nike, and had a fun time. Now he has gone home with no regrets.

What clue do you think he missed? He had an awesome [time partying at] the Olympics. (In context, his "I rocked" statement was clearly a declaration that "I partied hearty," NOT a claim that "I rocked [the Olympics].")

In your role of professional iconoclast, you should be celebrating Bode, not (rather unsuccessfully) scowling him down.

I trend to agree. And as was mentioned, he doesn't communicate well.

A dominant skier may only win a handful of eventw during the year. The current world cup leader in men's slalom has not won a race all year. If you read the REALISTIC projections for the games, he did not do as badly as it seems. Before the games for instance, SI had Bode projected to recieve only one medal. In the combined that he was leading before he hooked a gate with a ski tip and was DQed. Bode was top ten in evey event that he finished at the olympics.

What I'd like to know is why didn't the U.S. ski federation understand this? They had such amazingly unrealistic expectations coming into the games. Where the hell did they expect 8 medals to come from? 8 medals is the absolute best case scenario, when everything breaks your way.

Oh, and isn't backlash to hype just as bad as buying into the hype? You're still letting the hype affect your opinion.

ElvisL1ves
02-26-2006, 12:52 PM

In your role of professional iconoclast, you should be celebrating Bode, not (rather unsuccessfully) scowling him down.You think I get paid for iconoclasty? Hell, it isn't usually even appreciated.

Here it is, then: He could have partied all he wanted to without even bothering with qualifying for the Olympics. He didn't even need to ski. Anybody could have. He can keep doing it his whole life, too - but never with that aura that a winner, an achiever, a gold medalist has, that aura that attracts chicks and sponsors and free beer among other things. The world is jammed with people saying "I could have done this or that, I was almost a winner", but there's only a rare few for whom that's really true, and he's one of those extra special losers who can't even blame bad luck. He just screwed off and screwed up. He even took a chance away from somebody who might have been able to use it. He'll probably realize someday what he could have had and threw away instead, but for now, no, he doesn't have a clue.

Lissa, he blew off the downhill inspection run, too, so he could sleep off what he did the night before.

Carnac the Magnificent!
02-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Corporate America and the media needed superstars and Bode fit the bill nicely. Everybody cashed in on the invincibility myth: Bode, Nike, Time, Newsweek, 60 Minutes, the list goes on and on. I think Bode soon found himself surrounded by a windstorm of impossible expectations and just rode the storm out--without medaling. I chalk up part of his cavelier attitude to pure face saving. A commentator last night faulted him for arriving at the Games a bit overweight and not conditioned.

What gripes me though is the media turned him into a cash cow and then, when he inevitably disappointed, they made millions more crucifying him for shattering their myth. The notion that he could have grabbed 3, 4, 5 golds if only he had applied himself is nonsense.

St. Urho
02-26-2006, 04:41 PM
As a former alpine skier and coach, I'd like to add a few things here. For one, most of this has been just a media circus, fueled by reporters that don't understand alpine skiing. For example, I've seen it everywhere- "Bode was DQd" oh my god! Wait, no, this happens all the time. For example, here's the complete DNF/DQ list for the men's slalom:

Did not finish 1st run :
TOLA Erjon (ALB), RAZANAKOLONA Mathieu (MAD), SECK Leyti (SEN), RYABCHENKO Victor (KAZ), HEATH Alexander (RSA), PALSSON Sindri M. (ISL), MARINELLI Danko (CRO), ANTOR Alex (AND), HOROSHILOV Alexandr (RUS), SEDIANKOV Mihail (BUL), KRYZL Krystof (CZE), SAMSAL Dalibor (CRO), ULIANOV Dmitrij (RUS), RAJALA Jukka (FIN), GORZA Ales (SLO), SIMARI BIRKNER Cristian Javier (ARG), LEUZINGER James (GBR), VALENCIC Mitja (SLO), BRAUER Jono (AUS), MYHRE Lars (NOR), ROY Jean-Philippe (CAN), BURAAS Hans-Petter (NOR), THALER Patrick (ITA), MOELGG Manfred (ITA), MATT Mario (AUT), MILLER Bode (USA), TISSOT Stephane (FRA), VOGL Alois (GER), LARSSON Markus (SWE), ROCCA Giorgio (ITA)

Did not finish 2nd run :
GUANGXU Li (CHN), MARKOVSKI Gjorgi (MKD), TODOROV Dean (BUL), KALWA Michal (POL), TREJBAL Filip (CZE), GRANGE Jean-Baptiste (FRA), BIGGS Patrick (CAN), NEUREUTHER Felix (GER), ALBRECHT Daniel (SUI), SVINDAL Aksel Lund (NOR), SASAKI Akira (JPN)

Disqualified 1st run :
LIGETY Ted (USA)

Disqualified 2nd run :
BORISOV Ivan (KGZ), VUKOVIC Zelimir (SCG), KANG Min Heuk (KOR), PALANDER Kalle (FIN)

It's simply a fact of life that people will be disqualified or will DNF from ski races, especially in the slalom. The first course was tough, as the above quote bears out. Also, it's the freakin' Winter Olympics. You'd better be going 100%, because all your competitors will be. A consequence of going 100%, especially for someone who skis like Bode Miller is that you're also at a high risk of screwing up. So basically, he was going for it and he either would have skied very fast or blown out. He was going for the gold, and I personally can't fault him for that. It's not like the World Cup where you can throttle back a little, get a good finish and some points for next time.

In the same vein is the inspection non-sense. How long somebody inspects the course is purely personal. We had the same amount of course inspection time when I raced. I typically only used about 20 minutes or so and used the extra time to warm up or work on my skis. There were other people that would use all the inspection time allowed. It's just a matter of what works for you. In regards to him skipping the downhill inspection- that's a very different matter than the slalom/GS inspection. He'd already skied the downhill course several times in the training. This wasn't a new set and the course hadn't changed.

I also think a big part of the blame goes to the USSA/U.S. Ski Team. They have probably the worst track record of managing athletes of any sports federation going. I bring this up because he's been roundly criticized in the press for staying in a motor home instead of with the team. It's pretty much a right of passage for a successful American skier to split with the U.S. Ski Team. Nearly every succesful skier in the last 15 years has done so, including Kristina Koznick, Bode Miller, and Daron Rahlves. Bode actually had his breakout World Cup season when he stopped travelling with the team and started living in Austria.

So, while he probably should have done a better job of keeping his mouth shut in the run-up to the Olympics, most of the criticism he's getting is misguided at best.

Othersider
02-26-2006, 04:50 PM
He had the choice to make lots of money and win, or make lots of money and lose.
I respectfully disagree with your choice of words here. Winning or losing a competition isn't really a 'choice'; you don't 'choose' to win a competition. You try, and you either win or lose.

Unless you choose to just not try hard (or at all), there really isn't much of a choice involved.

ElvisL1ves
02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I believe that last line is what was meant. Miller obviously didn't do as much as he could have to win, and now he'll always be The Guy Who Pissed It Away - even in the party scene.

Marley23
02-27-2006, 12:30 AM
What gripes me though is the media turned him into a cash cow and then, when he inevitably disappointed, they made millions more crucifying him for shattering their myth.
They're experts at making money from any situation.

The whole thing reminds me of the "Andy Roddick's mojo" thing from last year, although this was on a much grander scale. These companies seem to take it for granted that some American is absolutely guaranteed to become a superstar at each Olympiad, and it sure wasn't the case this year.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.