PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Putting your finger close to your "third eye"

Polerius
05-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Ever since I was a kid, I noticed that if I put my finger, or any other object for that matter, close to my forehead between my eyes, without actually touching, I would get a weird feeling at that spot in my forehead.

The feeling is similar with open and closed eyes.

I was wondering if other people have tried this and if they also had a weird sensation when doing so.

I tested this on some of my friends with mixed results, most of them saying they feel nothing, but a couple saying they do.

I also tried searching the web, but all I found were some New-Agey stuff about the "third eye".

So, the question is:
Do you get a weird sensation when putting your finger close to your forehead, between your eyes, without touching?

Cunctator
05-04-2006, 05:27 PM
No

jjimm
05-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Yes, I also experience this. A sort of puckering, tingling feeling.

I used to believe that it also worked with eyes closed, but on further experimentation I found that the results were not conclusive with my eyes closed, if the conditions were such that I couldn't use my other senses to guess when an object approached my forehead.

JohnBckWLD
05-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Wow, five minutes and no one's stopped in to post a crack about pre-cum.

Ice Wolf
05-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Odd place to have pre-cum, JohnBckWLD. You seen a doctor about that? :)

I don't seem to get the tingly feeling between the eyes at all. Probably not tuned correctly to the frequencies, right now. If I'm feeling tired, though, putting my fingers to that point helps me to think.

Kitchen Wench
05-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I'll be damned. I'm not the only one! And like jjimm, it's a puckering, tingly sensation. I've noticed that it's stronger with eyes closed; whether I'm doing it myself, or someone is doing it to me.

Maybe I'm weird, but it's sort of arousing for me.

kimera
05-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Yes, I hate having stuff put near that spot. It seems to me that I can feel things even if they are half an inch away. I had a friend do a little experiment with me once and I could tell if her finger was above that area even if it was almost an inch above it. It is possible that I was able to sense it through air currents or shadows, so I regard the test as inconclusive.

Anaamika
05-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Can't do it, can't really even think about it....it drives me crazy. Yuck! That tingly horrid feeling.....

*runs out of thread*

Winston Smith
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Yes, I feel it. It's not a pleasant feeling. Weird.

Zsofia
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Can't do it to myself, it's just when other people do it to me. Aaargh, what a creepy feeling!

Viridiana
05-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Round these parts we call it 'messing with our Chi'. It's always fun trying to describe it to people for whom it doesn't happen.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
05-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I experience an odd sensation.

I doubt it is the power of suggestion, as I was convincec that I would not feel anything.

Hmmm...the Sinus Cavities are in that area.

A connection?

Renee
05-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Nothing.

interface2x
05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Nothing here, either. Great Tool song, though.

Rushgeekgirl
05-04-2006, 08:31 PM
I didn't buy it either, but soon found myself trying it. I felt it. I will be compelled to do this a hundred times a day now and tell everyone I know. Hopefully they won't think I'm as goofy as I thought the OP was. :)

Diogenes the Cynic
05-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Nothing here either. I thing you guys are imagining things.

amarinth
05-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Nope, though I do react strongly if someone's finger is put 1/2 inch away from my first and second eyes. (Or "Why I don't wear contacts.")

I do feel (for lack of a better word) heat from that point, when I hold my hand a 2 or so inches away, as well as the other chakra points that isn't in, say, my forearm. I assume that's because of some biological reason like "there are a lot of blood vessels there" or something.

Rysdad
05-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Nuttin.

Beware of Doug
05-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Aaaaa, yer all a bunch of saps. You're just reacting to that slightly crosseyed feeling you get when your two REAL eyes try and look at the finger. Chakra shmakra.

Batsinma Belfry
05-04-2006, 10:44 PM
It's the same feeling I get when someone is standing too close behind me.

Anastasaeon
05-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Not a thing.

Savannah
05-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Ah-ha! I've had that all my life. It's not a tingle for me, but an unpleasant achey pressure sensation, and it's a little lower down than in the forehead. My husband will sometimes tease me by holding his finger there, scoffing at my peevish reaction.

It's real. :)

DocCathode
05-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Nothing supernatural about it. It's a mixture of a sense of danger/discomfort, the urge to move away, and the repression of that urge.

To prove this, you need a friend who trusts you and follows instructions. Tell them to stay still, and to open and close their eyes when you tell them. Begin approaching with finger about two feet away. Tell them to close their eyes. Move the finger foot closer and tell them to open their eyes. Tell them to close their eyes. Move the finger to six inches away. Tell them to open their eyes. Tell them to close their eyes. Move the finger to three inches. Tell them to open their eyes. Tell them to close their eyes. Move the finger to two inches. Tell them to open their eyes. Tell them to close their eyes. Move the finger to an inch. Tell them to open their eyes. Tell them to close their eyes. Move the the finger to half an inch from their forhead. Tell them to open their eyes. Tell them to close their eyes. Slowly and quietly move your arm away from them. Tell them to open their eyes.

The tingling sensation is most intense the last time, despite the fact the no object is near their forehead.

wonderlust
05-04-2006, 11:52 PM
This is so disturbing! I don't feel it, and I'm usually the ultra-hyper-sensitive one in the bunch. I must be doing it wrong. Forehead, or bridge of the nose between the eyes? I wanna feel it...

sciguy
05-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I get a sensation. At least when I do it to myself, I haven't really tested with another person doing it.

For me, the "focus" is just at the top of that little bit of facial muscle at the top of my nose. You know, the chunk that bumps out when you scrunch your nose.

I always thought it was triggered by feeling body heat from my finger. But a quick test with a pen gave the same sensation, although it's not quite as strong. As another possible bit of data: I've got a bit of a unibrow. There is a sparse spattering of eyebrow hairs at the top of my nose, maybe those are acting along the same lines as a cat's whiskers?

rowrrbazzle
05-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Yes, I do. But I get the feeling no matter where I put the finger.

Since you've already put the idea of the sensation into our heads, it's probably just suggestion.

Or it's not impossible that you're actually feeling the heat radiation from your finger. I have a laser pointer (output < 5 mw) that I think I can feel a tiny amount of heat from when I point it at my skin. But since it's very low power and I don't have a way to directly measure the heat from it anyway, that's probably suggestion, too.

matt
05-05-2006, 06:35 AM
I experience this, and I always have. Doesn't have to be a finger - any object in front of my eyes and too close to focus on makes me squirm. I guess that eliminates radiant heat as a mechanism. I think Doc Cathode is on the money. The sensation for me is similar to the "phobic squirm" I get from close encounters with certain insects.

Perhaps it correlates with being ticklish?

Dunderman
05-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Nothing. Doesn't matter if eyes are open or closed.

Trunk
05-05-2006, 07:21 AM
nothing.

Apparently. . .third eye, blind.

Johanna
05-05-2006, 07:58 AM
The finger pointing method did nothing for me.

However, in yoga practice I concentrated my meditation on that point between the eyebrows, the aja cakra and noticed a definite sensation. In yoga, you could achieve that effect or other effects at any spot on the body. The spots where yoga traditionally focuses the most are called cakras, and the aja cakra is the most frequently used.

Ellen Cherry
05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Nothing here either. I thing you guys are imagining things.

Moi aussi.

gigi
05-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Does anyone else sometimes itch or poke at a particular area on their cheek and feel a nerve tingle down into their neck?

Der Trihs
05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
I feel it too. Makes me want to scratch the inside of my skull.

matt
05-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Nothing here either. I think you guys are imagining things. Don't jump to conclusions! People are different, and can experience things differently (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=310467). Check out post 32 of the linked thread.

DocCathode
05-05-2006, 11:54 AM
The finger pointing method did nothing for me.

However, in yoga practice I concentrated my meditation on that point between the eyebrows, the aja cakra and noticed a definite sensation. In yoga, you could achieve that effect or other effects at any spot on the body. The spots where yoga traditionally focuses the most are called cakras, and the aja cakra is the most frequently used.

Bah, if you're not focusing getting your kundalini to ascend and ignite, you're wasting your time on dung. And not the good kind which comes from Mother Cow either.

Gigi

No, but it's not in general uncommon for a sensation, especially pain, to have its cause in one place and be felt in another. On the face and neck, there are plenty of trigger points where you can stick in a thumbtack and cause pain several inches away.

Nars Glinley
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
The only time I feel anything is when my finger gets close enough to actually touch the tiny hairs between my eyebrows.

Khadaji
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Just tried it and didn't notice anything.

Antinor01
05-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I've noticed that effect my entire life. Has nothing to do with a danger/discomfort response for me, I know something is there and get that sensation even when I can't see it and don't otherwise know something is there.

JohnBckWLD
05-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Odd place to have pre-cum, JohnBckWLD. You seen a doctor about that?...He diagnosed it as festering acne sores. :eek:

All kidding aside, I feel something too, damnit! It wouldn't describe it as my Chi' - it feels more like another kind of power: the power of suggestion.

Trunk
05-05-2006, 01:34 PM
This is so disturbing! I don't feel it, and I'm usually the ultra-hyper-sensitive one in the bunch. I must be doing it wrong. Forehead, or bridge of the nose between the eyes? I wanna feel it...
You're not "doing it wrong". There is nothing there to be done right. Do you really think there's some hyper-sensitive spot in the middle of some people's forehead that can detect the closeness of a finger? It is to laugh.

It's simply feeling uncomfortable with having a finger a millimeter from your forehead.

Or, just booger-eaters tingling with anticipation because their finger is getting close.

Leaffan
05-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Nothing. You're all nuts.

Clothahump
05-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Nothing in the proximity zone.

However, if I gently massage that area, it really relaxes the tension in my neck and shoulders. And if I can get SWMBO to do, she can put me to sleep with it because it is so relaxing.

kimera
05-05-2006, 02:48 PM
It's simply feeling uncomfortable with having a finger a millimeter from your forehead.

No, it's not. Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean that others don't. Having things near any other part of my face don't bother me. But if you put something over the bridge of my nose, even when I can't physically see it, then I will feel a very unpleasant tingling sensation. It's probably caused when the object touches the tips of the hair there. Because I dislike the sensation so much, when you put another object near it, but not within range of the hair, I feel the sensation anyway. I've done studies on some of my friends where I ask them to close their eyes and I move a pencil tip or some other object over their faces. Some people have it, some don't. Some people didn't even know they had it until after I moved the pencil over that spot. If I constantly touch that spot, then the sensation goes away over time.

Leaffan
05-05-2006, 02:50 PM
No, it's not. Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean that others don't. Having things near any other part of my face don't bother me. But if you put something over the bridge of my nose, even when I can't physically see it, then I will feel a very unpleasant tingling sensation. It's probably caused when the object touches the tips of the hair there. Because I dislike the sensation so much, when you put another object near it, but not within range of the hair, I feel the sensation anyway. I've done studies on some of my friends where I ask them to close their eyes and I move a pencil tip or some other object over their faces. Some people have it, some don't. Some people didn't even know they had it until after I moved the pencil over that spot. If I constantly touch that spot, then the sensation goes away over time.

Impossible. You can't "feel" something not touching you, well unless it's radiating heat or something. It's all in the power of suggestion.

wonderlust
05-05-2006, 02:51 PM
You're not "doing it wrong". There is nothing there to be done right. Do you really think there's some hyper-sensitive spot in the middle of some people's forehead that can detect the closeness of a finger? It is to laugh.lol, I should have put a j/k disclaimer.

AskNott
05-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Nothing much, but then, my karma needs new chakras.

kimera
05-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Impossible. You can't "feel" something not touching you, well unless it's radiating heat or something. It's all in the power of suggestion.

Perhaps the hairs there are longer than in other areas, perhaps I am paying attention to wind currents, shadows or other clues while my eyes are closed, perhaps it is caused by heat radiation. There are many scientific explanations for why it could occur. I dont believe in 3rd eyes, mystic energy or anything else of the sort. The reason I can feel it while my eyes are open and the finger or object is out of distance of any hair is because of my mind of course but there is something there I can feel while my eyes are closed and when the object is held close.

Polerius
05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised by the response to this question. We got a lot of yes's.

As to what might be the purpose of this sensation, initially I thought it might be an evolutionary thing. i.e. if you sense, by any of your senses, that there is something very close to your eyes, you should get a warning signal.

But, on second thought, if something or someone malicious is already that close to you, then you are in deep trouble, and this warning will be useless.

So, maybe it's just a quirky feature of the human body, and serves no clear purpose.

Magiver
05-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Yes, as far back as I can remember. Never understood it. On a possibly related note I remember a discussion of relaxation techniques on TV and one of the things suggested was to imagine that you had a spigot on your forehead and water was coming out. Not sure why that image is relaxing but I want to laugh every time I think about it.

Anaamika
05-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Perhaps the hairs there are longer than in other areas, perhaps I am paying attention to wind currents, shadows or other clues while my eyes are closed, perhaps it is caused by heat radiation. There are many scientific explanations for why it could occur. I dont believe in 3rd eyes, mystic energy or anything else of the sort. The reason I can feel it while my eyes are open and the finger or object is out of distance of any hair is because of my mind of course but there is something there I can feel while my eyes are closed and when the object is held close.
Thank youy. Why do people always have to come along and state that because they don't feel something of course we don't too. Like only their experiences matter. Sheesh.

Johanna
05-05-2006, 11:57 PM
It's probably caused when the object touches the tips of the hair there. Maybe that's why I didn't notice anything. I recently tweezed there. I'm no Frida Kahlo.

Trunk
05-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Thank youy. Why do people always have to come along and state that because they don't feel something of course we don't too. Like only their experiences matter. Sheesh.
Because what you're describing is akin to psychic powers, astral projection, or any other hooey that a lot of people have no patience for.

Unless you're all just talking about feeling radiant heat from a finger, or the sensation of a finger touching your body hair. . .in which case, yes, I feel that too.

gigi
05-08-2006, 01:45 PM
On the face and neck, there are plenty of trigger points where you can stick in a thumbtack and cause pain several inches away.
I'll take your word for it. ;)

maleficient107
10-05-2012, 09:05 AM
I HAVE THAT TOO. I searched for this on google to see what it's called, or if anyone else knows what I'm talking about. I've been aware of this since I was a kid,
***and it has nothing to do with something touching me, or hairs, or even my finger in particular. It happens quite often with anything that is close to my forehead.
***It doesn't have to be something that has energy, like a finger. Somtimes I have to take my glasses off because my glasses on the bridge of my nose will trigger tightness and slight tingling in the lower-middle of my forehead. It can be a pencil sticking out of a cup, or whatever inanimate object.

It mostly happens when it's something I'm not holding or controlling, but it's really unpredictable as to when I'll get that super-strange feeling and I can't often make it happen.

What I heard a long time ago (no idea if there is any truth to it) is there is some type of natural metal- some kind of element- that is concentrated in that area of the forehead that helps you find your sense of direction. Like an internal compass. Again, don't know if it's true, but I'm googling that right now :)

Steken
10-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Hate to be a bringer of bad news, but within five or ten minutes, this thread will be full of zombie jokes. These jokes will confuse you. But that's OK. You'll live, and you'll grow, and you'll be stronger, and one day, by God, you'll make zombie jokes of your own. And then you'll think back and say "holy cow, Steken was right all along."

Dendarii Dame
10-05-2012, 01:07 PM
No.

Taomist
10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, I always have, but...right now I can get that feeling just thinking about my finger touching it, without actually doing it, so...yeah.

Doh...I got zombied. :P

CalMeacham
10-05-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't feel anything different from the feeling I get with my finger near but not touching elsewhere. I suspect I'm picking up the same cues, using hairs, air currents, radiated heat, etc. , rather than any mystical "third eye" sensing.

Ludovic
10-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Hate to be a bringer of bad news, but within five or ten minutes, this thread will be full of zombie jokes.I, too, get a tingling sensation when I place a finger close to my.....head.

emeraldia
10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Ever since I was a kid, I noticed that if I put my finger, or any other object for that matter, close to my forehead between my eyes, without actually touching, I would get a weird feeling at that spot in my forehead.

I was wondering if other people have tried this and if they also had a weird sensation when doing so.

I tested this on some of my friends with mixed results, most of them saying they feel nothing, but a couple saying they do.

I also tried searching the web, but all I found were some New-Agey stuff about the "third eye".

So, the question is:
Do you get a weird sensation when putting your finger close to your forehead, between your eyes, without touching?

This is one of those things that I remember having done before but never fully explored. Never heard anyone mention it before. But yes, I've done that and feel that weird sensation there.

Inner Stickler
10-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I feel nothing.

Also, putting my finger near my forehead doesn't elicit any response from me besides my finger is next to my forehead.

I'm not trying to say that other people don't experience this but, and I have no idea how you'd design this, I'd like to see a blind study on the phenomenon.

Leaffan
10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I found this to be a bunch of hooey 6 years ago, and still do.

Andy L
10-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I found this to be a bunch of hooey 6 years ago, and still do.

All I feel is a tension in my forehead, probably due to concentrating on the question of whether I feel anything odd or not.

But I will note that sensing something unusual when an object is close to one's forehead comes up briefly in Heinlein's "Beyond this Horizon".

eclectic wench
10-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Yep! I've always had that, since I was a kid - never heard of anyone else having it before. It's much stronger when my eyes are closed, whether it's my finger or someone else's.

My husband doesn't have it and doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Leaffan
10-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Yep! I've always had that, since I was a kid - never heard of anyone else having it before. It's much stronger when my eyes are closed, whether it's my finger or someone else's.

I don't believe you. I don't believe this would ever hold up in a blind test.

Brittany Divine
01-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Hello, the tickle feeling is your Third eye, you may also feel a tickle in the middle of you brain. This is called your pineal gland, it produces DMT (Dimethyltryptamine). It is in all life forms plants, animals, ect. It produces when you are sleeping, meditating, or right before death. It is a way to connect with your spirit guides for inspiration, answers, self development, or to help change the world for the greater good of everyone involved. I'm really no expert just looking for answers and this is what I've found please don't be afraid of what is happening just know what to do about it. Here are both spiritual and scientific sides, you will be amazed at how the both are really combined.

Spiritual side:http://www.the-auras-expert.com/contacting-spirit-guide.html

Scientific side:http://www.thespiritmolecule.com/

Nars Glinley
01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Whoa.

It's also a schedule I drug in the US.

Cautious
06-30-2013, 05:07 PM
I also discovered this strange sensation about 50+ years ago. It's funny that I recently recalled the sensation. This past week while camping with 7 others I asked them to try it to see if they felt it.

During evening daylight, around the campfire, I handed out new unsharpened wood pencils and gave simple instructions, don't cross eyes, look straight ahead, slowly move pencil toward bridge of nose, don't touch pencil to skin.

There were 4 men 4 women. I and only 2 others, men, could feel the sensation. So that's only 3 out of 8 felt it.

I'd like to see a brain scan while this is going on. I don't think it's magical. But I did comment that this may be useful as a meditation tool-process, as I suspect your mind is cleared of other thoughts while doing this.

Has anyone tried this to help with meditation?
Ron

Costina
07-15-2015, 02:00 PM

So, the question is:

Hi. I hope you will answer to me. I have had since childhood this and I still have it. While a child I didn't find others with the same sensitivity. As I have now many health problems, also neurological and with my eyes, I wonder if this sensitivity can be of some help, some exercises or so. Thank you!

Mijin
03-16-2017, 04:13 AM
Yes I got the sensation.
It's interesting. I see some of the (zombie) posters upthread saying (paraphrasing) "It's no big deal; it's just discomfort at having something that close to your eyes", but even that is interesting, since I don't get the same feeling elsewhere on my face, including right between my eyes. And moving a finger close to my eyes is obviously unpleasant but doesn't trigger the tingle either.

Omega Glory
03-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Yes, I feel it. I've always thought the discomfort was caused by my eyes looking up and increasingly inward in an attempt to focus on the fingertip.

Sachi2018
06-25-2018, 02:17 AM
Because what you're describing is akin to psychic powers, astral projection, or any other hooey that a lot of people have no patience for.

I mean no offense, but why does anything phychic etc. related have to be valid to you or anyone else for them to be allowed to hold a conversation about it? If you have no patience for it then why not just leave it be and let the conversation carry on without you? Why can't they say they have those experiences just because you personally don't believe it? I believe in ghosts and believe I interact with them. I am allowed this belief whether you believe in ghosts or not, for example. Again I mean no offense, just wondering why is all. I mean it as a thought experiment.

As for the question: I have noticed this sensation since I was little. I actually found this because I Googled why it happens. I believe in science, the paranormal and the supernatural - and I don't think a scientific explanation suddenly means it isn't psychic in nature, like with me being able to sense the tv being on in other rooms or in a house from the outside, or feeling someone's presence (especially my mother) for example - so for me all possibilities are available and I wouldn't have it either way. Life has been too hard to close possibilies and realities off from myself.

Darren Garrison
06-25-2018, 05:38 AM
I mean no offense, but why does anything phychic etc. related have to be valid to you or anyone else for them to be allowed to hold a conversation about it? If you have no patience for it then why not just leave it be and let the conversation carry on without you?

My psychic sense says that you are going to have a long and productive stay here...

DocCathode
06-25-2018, 06:55 AM
I mean no offense, but why does anything phychic etc. related have to be valid to you or anyone else for them to be allowed to hold a conversation about it?

Because this is the Straight Dope. If you want to talk about something, outisde of witnessing in Great Debates, you better have proof.

If you have no patience for it then why not just leave it be and let the conversation carry on without you? Why can't they say they have those experiences just because you personally don't believe it?

You can describe the sensations you experienced and nobody will bother you. But if you claim those sensations have an explanation that contradicts scientific fact, then we will indeed correct you.

I believe in ghosts and believe I interact with them. I am allowed this belief whether you believe in ghosts or not, for example. Again I mean no offense, just wondering why is all. I mean it as a thought experiment.

Do you have any proof to back up these beliefs?

Czarcasm
06-25-2018, 07:15 AM
I mean no offense, but why does anything phychic etc. related have to be valid to you or anyone else for them to be allowed to hold a conversation about it? If you have no patience for it then why not just leave it be and let the conversation carry on without you? Why can't they say they have those experiences just because you personally don't believe it? I believe in ghosts and believe I interact with them. I am allowed this belief whether you believe in ghosts or not, for example. Again I mean no offense, just wondering why is all. I mean it as a thought experiment.Although you have the right to believe anything you want, the rest of us are under no obligation to respect that belief, and we have the right to comment on that belief.

As for the question: I have noticed this sensation since I was little. I actually found this because I Googled why it happens. I believe in science, the paranormal and the supernatural - and I don't think a scientific explanation suddenly means it isn't psychic in nature, like with me being able to sense the tv being on in other rooms or in a house from the outside, or feeling someone's presence (especially my mother) for example - so for me all possibilities are available and I wouldn't have it either way. Life has been too hard to close possibilies and realities off from myself.Then why bother with science at all if you will just choose to side with the supernatural? To accept science only when it tells you what you want to believe is the same thing is not accepting science at all.

Czarcasm
06-25-2018, 07:18 AM
Do you have any proof to back up these beliefs?Bad move-This gives the respondent the "out" that because we supposedly can't prove anything 100%, that somehow makes science and the paranormal equal in stature. It is better to ask what evidence exists, because this this allows us to see which case is stronger.

Ashtura
06-25-2018, 09:39 AM
No. Sounds like an ASMR type thing A phenomenon that's probably real but I don't experience at all (and I've tried). I doubt it has anything to do with "new age stuff." A phenomenon that's probably real but I don't experience at all (and I've tried).

aruvqan
06-26-2018, 01:14 PM
Nothing in the proximity zone.

However, if I gently massage that area, it really relaxes the tension in my neck and shoulders. And if I can get SWMBO to do, she can put me to sleep with it because it is so relaxing.

Nothing for me either. And mrAru has learned he can put me to sleep with a forehead rub as well. Inless I am having a migraine, then touching me makes me want to kill him to make it stop.

Cardigan
06-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Related: any other jarheads here remember in boot camp when they were teaching how to approach a combatant from behind and choke them out. Our D.I. said when approaching your victim don't stare at the back of their head but rather offset your gaze slightly so you don't cause that phenomenon where "you know that feeling you get that someone is staring at you and you turn around and sure enough someone is looking right at you." Maybe that phenomenon is related to the sensing someone else is approaching you with a finger when your eyes are closed phenomenon.

Czarcasm
06-26-2018, 01:40 PM
Related: any other jarheads here remember in boot camp when they were teaching how to approach a combatant from behind and choke them out. Our D.I. said when approaching your victim don't stare at the back of their head but rather offset your gaze slightly so you don't cause that phenomenon where "you know that feeling you get that someone is staring at you and you turn around and sure enough someone is looking right at you." Maybe that phenomenon is related to the sensing someone else is approaching you with a finger when your eyes are closed phenomenon.Yeah-that doesn't exist.

kayaker
06-26-2018, 01:42 PM
I mean no offense, but why does anything phychic etc. related have to be valid to you or anyone else for them to be allowed to hold a conversation about it?

Here ya go. (https://www.spellchecker.net/misspellings/phychic)

Darren Garrison
06-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Related: any other jarheads here remember in boot camp when they were teaching how to approach a combatant from behind and choke them out. Our D.I. said when approaching your victim don't stare at the back of their head but rather offset your gaze slightly so you don't cause that phenomenon where "you know that feeling you get that someone is staring at you and you turn around and sure enough someone is looking right at you." Maybe that phenomenon is related to the sensing someone else is approaching you with a finger when your eyes are closed phenomenon.

Was that during the staring at goats (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats) era?

Cardigan
06-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Yeah-that doesn't exist.

A quick google seems to indicate sensing someone's gaze (even when you're not looking at them) is a thing. And no, it's not all psychic phenomenon type stuff either. There are other more prosaic explanations to account for it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-narcissus-in-all-us/201102/how-you-know-eyes-are-watching-you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2308318/Think-someones-staring-Youre-paranoid--hard-wired-brains.html

http://theconversation.com/a-sixth-sense-how-we-can-tell-that-eyes-are-watching-us-65661

Czarcasm
06-26-2018, 02:23 PM
A quick google seems to indicate sensing someone's gaze (even when you're not looking at them) is a thing. And no, it's not all psychic phenomenon type stuff either. There are other more prosaic explanations to account for it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-narcissus-in-all-us/201102/how-you-know-eyes-are-watching-you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2308318/Think-someones-staring-Youre-paranoid--hard-wired-brains.html

http://theconversation.com/a-sixth-sense-how-we-can-tell-that-eyes-are-watching-us-65661Your first link is an opinion piece, the second link says that we are "hard-wired" to believe that strangers are watching us, and the third link states that "However, it turns out we can only reliably detect such gaze within four degrees of our central fixation point."
The fact that, if you turn around to see if anyone is looking at you:
1. You will remember the times it happens
2. There is a good chance that if you turn around anyone behind you will look as if they are looking at you because they are already looking in your general direction unless they are walking backwards, and
3. The act of turning around is likely to cause people to look at you just to see why you are turning around,

JohnT
06-26-2018, 04:43 PM
(Am I the only one to open this thread expecting a discussion about anuses?)

Nars Glinley
06-26-2018, 05:09 PM

Hopefully.

CarnalK
06-26-2018, 06:02 PM

I think you had a bad guru.

JohnT
06-26-2018, 06:06 PM

Hopefully.

I think you had a bad guru.

I didn't say I was disappointed when my expectations weren't met! :p

kayaker
06-27-2018, 06:10 AM

You lookin at me? :dubious:

Darren Garrison
06-27-2018, 06:39 AM
Never heard of the anus called the "third eye." Heard "itchy eye." Then there is this (https://hyakumonogatari.com/2012/08/19/shirime-eyeball-butt/).

GusNSpot
06-27-2018, 08:51 AM
No

"ditto"

:rolleyes:

HeyHomie
06-27-2018, 12:11 PM
Yes, although not as much now that I'm an adult as when I was a kid.

BobBitchin'
06-27-2018, 12:45 PM
It is amazing how many times people ask why we poke holes in their WOO, on a site that's subtitled "fighting ignorance":smack:

So, what was up with that precum joke?:eek: Anybody care to explain that one?

kaylasdad99
06-29-2018, 05:35 AM
Precum is found most commonly issuing from the meatus of the penis during sexual stimulation.
And the penis is sometimes referred to as the one-eyed trouser snake.

kaylasdad99
06-29-2018, 05:39 AM
Also, nobody thinks of their own woo as being based in ignorance (or as being woo).

ratatoskK
06-29-2018, 09:08 AM
When I let my finger hover closely over ANY part of my body, I feel that tingling. So I don't think it has anything to do with the "third eye."

kayaker
06-29-2018, 09:33 AM
When I let my finger hover closely over ANY part of my body, I feel that tingling. So I don't think it has anything to do with the "third eye."

Maybe trim those nails?!

Czarcasm
06-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Maybe trim those nails?!Or maybe trim that body hair?

kayaker
06-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Or maybe trim that body hair?

Vibrissae even.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.