PDA

View Full Version : What goes good with cinnamon applesauce if you don't eat pork?

Askia
06-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I recently had a roommate move out who left a jar of cinnamon applesauce in the fridge. Snce I was a mite peckish just now, I had two big spoonfuls. And it was gooo-OOOoooo-ooood.

Now I haven't eaten applesauce in at least a DECADE, and probably another decade prior to that, but the cinnamon in this jar really added an extra dimension of enjoyment I wasn't expecting. I love good apples but the texture/mouthfeel of applesauce was never a big draw, even as a kid. This was so good it might change that.

Now I want to finish off the jar in the next few days but I want to try using this with an actual meal and share this discovery with the rest of the family. My family and I don't eat pork -- but I've heard the combination of pork chops and applesauce is a good one. What else is there? Hot/cold, main meal, side dish, dessert -- I'm open to suggestions. It's my turn to cook Sunday dinner for the family (4-6 of us) in a week.

Lama Pacos
06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Latkes! Applesauce and sour cream together, of course.

fishbicycle
06-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't know what kind of family meal you could make with it, but it certainly would be good for breakfast with toast and tea.

Askia
06-02-2006, 10:55 PM
fishbicycle: any particular kind of bread and tea combination you'd recommend? If you say Wonder Bread and Lipton's Instant, I'll be very disappointed.

Lama Pacos: Got a recipe for latkes?

Ephemera
06-02-2006, 10:57 PM
It's pretty tasty as a dip for graham crackers.

fishbicycle
06-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Well, you don't want a bread whose flavor is going to interfere with the cinammon in the applesauce, nor the sweetness. I was thinking along the lines of white bread toast, buttered (not margarined), maybe with a sprinkling of cinnamon & sugar on top. Sorry if that's too mundane for you, but it sure tastes good.

As a lifelong tea drinker, instant anything is an abomination, and Lipton is a company that makes soup. I recommend Twinings Four Red Fruits black tea. Mmmmmmm, if it were not so late, I'd have a cup now.

even sven
06-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Bake some muffins! Yum!

sleeping mud
06-02-2006, 11:15 PM
http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/81576.asp

kittenblue
06-02-2006, 11:26 PM
A spoon.

And when I eat applesauce with pork, it's not the cinnamon flavored kind. I've heard tales of people eating it with potato pancakes (latkes) but I prefer those with just sourcream.

NDP
06-02-2006, 11:45 PM
At the risk of leaving myself open to attack by some of the posters in this thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=373808&page=1&pp=50), cottage cheese and applesauce has always been a favorite comfort food of mine.

ddgryphon
06-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Salmon Croquettes (SP?) one of my favorite combinations.

Alice The Goon
06-03-2006, 12:56 AM
If you can can, you might consider canning your own. It's very, very good. My very southern grandfather used to make homemade biscuits with his own jarred applesauce, and it was beyond words. I can't even describe. Trust me on this.

Lama Pacos
06-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Lama Pacos: Got a recipe for latkes?

Unfortunately, not a one. Every time anyone I know has tried to make them, they've become Jewish hash browns.

Argent Towers
06-03-2006, 03:07 AM
Askia, are you Jewish? Or do you just not dig on swine?

Ranchoth
06-03-2006, 04:10 AM
Ice cream or frozen yogurt always works, for me. (Vanilla flavored, usually.)

Turek
06-03-2006, 06:39 AM
At the risk of leaving myself open to attack by some of the posters in this thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=373808&page=1&pp=50), cottage cheese and applesauce has always been a favorite comfort food of mine.

Holy crap! I thought I was the only one. I love me some cinnamon applesauce and cottage cheese, preferably Breakstones.

Annie-Xmas
06-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Make instant pudding with 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce. If you like pumpkin, add 1/2 cup of the canned type.

Kalhoun
06-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Holy crap! I thought I was the only one. I love me some cinnamon applesauce and cottage cheese, preferably Breakstones.
I was just going to add this to the list! I used to feed it to Kid Kalhoun when he was a wee sprout. He gobbled it up!

Askia
06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Askia, are you Jewish? Or do you just not dig on swine? Although my middle name is Moshe, I'm actually a non-practicing Methodist-turned-non-practicing-Muslim. Still, I don't dig on the swine. ;j

Askia
06-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Some of these recipe suggestions are intriguing, but the suggestions seem skewed toward breakfasts, desserts and snacks, with the exception of sleeping mud's baked chicken recipe (I'm not sure how the cinnamon/chicken combo will fly, though -- I'll probably have to make the chicken sweeter or savorier than the recipe calls for.)

So far I like ddgryphon's idea of salmon croquettes because I already make [url=http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=5611339&postcount=42]killer patties. Although that's usually a breakfast food in my family, having a side of applesauce might be a nice change.

Annie-Xmas and Aesiron have me thinking of combining their recipes into a applesauce and vanilla pudding with crushed graham cracker parfaits. even sven's muffin suggestion is good, too, but I'd have to wait until fall before I bake anything in this heat.

Now if someone would just share a good recipe for homemade latkes.

Askia
06-03-2006, 08:47 AM
So far I like ddgryphon's idea of salmon croquettes because I already make killer patties. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=5611339&postcount=42) Durn coding.

easy e
06-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Heat it in the microwave and put it on pancakes. Yes, that's more of a breakfasty thing, but you can have pancakes for dinner.

It also works on waffles. Regular applesauce is fine on them, too.

Oslo Ostragoth
06-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Can it be cooked into apple butter? Yummmmmmmmmmm.

betenoir
06-04-2006, 01:33 AM
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/104406

Ok, I admit I haven't used this exact recipe when I made them and this sounds about right. Plus you get other people's experiences and suggestions, plus this is a really good site in general.

DMark
06-04-2006, 01:42 AM
In Germany, they put it in with a jar of red cabbage when they cook it, and it gives the cabbage a nice, sweet flavor (also add a few cloves, but don't forget to remove them before serving). Great side dish, especially for poultry.

Also, apple sauce is generally used on potato pancakes.

Sassy
06-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Heat it up and pour over ice cream - apple pie a la mode without crust :cool:

gonzomax
06-04-2006, 03:46 PM
A double whopper goes with anything

meara
06-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Cinnamon apples usually go well with barbequed foods. Why not serve the apple sauce warm with BBQ chicken or ribs?

irishgirl
06-05-2006, 04:19 AM
Porridge/oatmeal/whatever warm oaty breakfast food you usually eat- brown sugar, applesauce, cinnamon and cream make a nasty health food into a rather sinful treat.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.