PDA

View Full Version : Sopranos Finale - June 4 - let's talk about it (Spoilers)

Argent Towers
06-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I know it's not "really" a finale, but you know what I mean.

We're left with very little in the way of cliffhangers. Besides Agent Harris's warning about someone close to Tony being in danger, there's almost no indication of what will happen in the remaining episodes. The possibility of a New York - Jersey war, the biggest potential plot point of the rest of the show, seems like it might be lessened by Tony's talk to Phil.

I don't know if I liked this episode very much. I think it was a bad way to end the year's season. It resolved very little (besides Chris back on heroin which we ALL SAW COMING) and had little in the way of high drama or exciting action. Even the dialog seemed kind of awkward. The best thing about the episode, by far, was the fact that it started off with Carlo.

kurahee
06-04-2006, 09:28 PM
I didn't see a thread started, so if there is one, mods please merge.

I just want to go on record as saying this was one of the worst seasons in the history of HBO TV. What a bunch of bullshit for money. Filler for an extra 8 episodes. But a snoozeroo, waste of time.

The whole season. Crapola. I find out Vito is gay, AJ is not. That wasn't worth a season of Sopranos.

Can anyone justify this other than a money grab? I feel like cancelling HBO right now!

Marley23
06-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Thank goodness one of the three Sopranos threads isn't an attempted whinefest. ;)

We'll see how much impact Tony's talk to Phil really had. I can't see the experience meaning as much to him as it did to Tony. He's just too much of an asshole. The ending was very strange, but I liked the weirdness. I think they showed us that Christmas scene just to prepare for a contrast where the whole family is ripped apart next year.

What Exit?
06-04-2006, 09:39 PM
3 threads competing on the finale. I wonder which will live. I liked your Op the best, so here I am.
The episode was fine except the possible reconciliation at the end. This show needs to end on a high note of a gritty 8 episode Gang war of NY vs. NJ.
The season as a whole was by far the worst and the most boring. Very disappointing.
Back to the episode, I enjoyed it, not much filler, interesting twist to an AJ finally growing up. I thought he would try to bluff the three punks with his father's name. The scene with Junior was interesting and well done.

Jim {I will be canceling HBO again until the final 8 and renegotiating my deals with Comcast, but I was planning to do this anyway.}

usar_jag
06-04-2006, 09:39 PM
I was concerned about this episode from the get go, when I saw that three people took writing credits. Too many writers often spoils the soup, so to speak.

This season started off so well--I have not been a fan of Tony's dream sequences in the past, but I really liked the coma dreamworld. The rest of the season has gone downhill from there.

I think the major problem is that there are too many plotlines going on, as compared to previous seasons, and none of them are getting the attention they deserve. (I did like the Vito storyline, but that was given almost too much attention, to the detriment of other plot developments.)

Anyway, back to tonights episode, the thing that was the most distracting to me was that it seemed that the Thanksgiving/Christmastime setting seemed forced. I'm sure it was done so the remaining eight episodes that will start in January of 2007 will have some seasonal continuity.

Was it just me, or were you expecting Tony to barge in on Chris and the realtor in the apartment, or to see the NY crew take some action against Chris outside of the restaurant?

gonzomax
06-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Deadwood

D_Odds
06-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Everyone wants The Godfather. Everyone wants Goodfellas. The Sopranos was never meant to be that type of mob show. They don't need a war to make good television.

Having said that, I went off my habit of watching the show on a slight delay, and I wish I hadn't. Some scenes were far too drawn out. While I like the show as a family drama without all the cliffhangers and cookie cutter writing of other family dramas, the writing this season was far too loose. I really believed that many threads could have been tightened, and that Chase could have explored more characters.

Marley23
06-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Was it just me, or were you expecting Tony to barge in on Chris and the realtor in the apartment, or to see the NY crew take some action against Chris outside of the restaurant?
We saw him leave the restaurant so many times that I had to wonder. But I'd also read that they were already doing his contract for the last 'season,' so it was confusing.

AuntiePam
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Don't cancel until after Deadwood is over, 'm kay?

I liked the episode. It felt like a finale. Except for Christopher drugging again*, it seemed like everyone was on the right track. I especially liked A.J. acting like a family man with his new girl and her little boy.

*And maybe he stopped?

flickster
06-04-2006, 10:26 PM

That was exactly what I was expecting in both scenes. Or even for Chis and the Realtor being taken out Godfather style inside the diner, hit outside the diner, or for Chris' car to go boom as they were leaving.

Good for AJ. Got his bean snapped and was taking responsibility for something by watching after her little son. Might be the first time ever.

Diogenes the Cynic
06-04-2006, 10:31 PM
It was anticlimactic but it seems like Sopranos season finales always are. There just wasn't much meat there tonight. Chris is back on heroin. We've seen that before. AJ starting to mature a little bit? Maybe. Who thought he was going to try to fight those kids making all the noise and get his ass kicked? He actually used his brains for once.

The only laugh for me is when Tony ordered a round of drinks to celebrate Phil's heart attack.

I can only hope that the final 8 episodes are an orgy of non-stop bloodletting.

Bring on Deadwood.

Argent Towers
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
The one great thing about this episode was the very beginning. Excellent music, surreal quality, and it's so awesome to have an episode start out with Carlo doing something, because you never see him by himself. He is the most mysterious character on the entire show, without a doubt. You never see him at home, he's never shown with a wife or girlfriend, and his most prominent scene was stabbing a man to death with a kitchen knife. He is by far the most intimidating looking character on the show. Arthur Nascarella, (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/0621597/HH/0621597/ArthurHeadshotOne.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Nascarella,%20Arthur%20J.) the guy who plays him, is a veteran of the Marines and spend 20 years as an NYPD cop, making him the only authentic tough guy on the cast besides real-life gangster Tony Sirico. Look at that face! I would say that he should be on the show more often in more prominent roles, but part of the character's mystery is that you never see him.

Joey P
06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I thought it was a somewhat boring episode as well. One of the highlights for me was catching a goof. When Chris and Julianne where on stoned and laying on the couch, she picked up a pack of marlboro REDS and pulled out an all white cigarette. There could, of course, be a million reasons for this. It just seemed odd.

AuntiePam
06-04-2006, 10:48 PM
AJ starting to mature a little bit? Maybe. Who thought he was going to try to fight those kids making all the noise and get his ass kicked? He actually used his brains for once.

I was proud of the little shit. It took some balls to confront those guys. (I thought for a second he was getting an AK-47 out of his car.)

Do you think Chris and Julianna are quits? I could see Chris just going home to his wife. I got the impression that being back on drugs was boring for them.

Eleusis
06-04-2006, 10:52 PM
I didn't see a thread started, so if there is one, mods please merge.
One minute late (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=374392)
I find out Vito is gay[/QUOTE]
You must have missed the whole blowing a security guard in the parking lot scene?

kurahee
06-04-2006, 11:01 PM
One minute late (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=374392)
I find out Vito is gay
You must have missed the whole blowing a security guard in the parking lot scene?[/QUOTE]

:smack:

No, I saw it. I just didn't think it would take up 5 episodes of this season. But you are right. I found out Vito was gay in season 5. I found out he was a flaming homosexual in season 6. Not a great storyline. At least, not for the time spent on it.

Any way to merge the threads?

Joey P
06-04-2006, 11:03 PM
I was proud of the little shit. It took some balls to confront those guys. (I thought for a second he was getting an AK-47 out of his car.)

Do you think Chris and Julianna are quits? I could see Chris just going home to his wife. I got the impression that being back on drugs was boring for them.

Yea, but just being bored with drugs probably isn't going to pull him out of it. He might need to get slapped around by Tony a little. As for AJ, that seemed pretty stupid. The girl (Blanca, Bianca, Branca whatever her name was) probably thinks he went out their and roughed them up and meanwhile he's gonna have to find something new to give them each week to make them go away.

DoctorJ
06-04-2006, 11:08 PM
I actually really liked this episode, but I thought it left a lot to be desired as a season finale. They're poised on the brink of everything going to shit, and I think it would have drawn me in a little more if they had gone just a half-step further and given us a little taste of everything going to shit.

(I honestly thought someone was going to bust into their little Christmas gathering with an AK and start shooting people up. It wouldn't have been a bad idea; the cast is so large at this point that it's hard to use everybody effectively. They could stand to cull the herd a bit.)

I think that has been my biggest complaint of the whole season--the individual episodes are excellent, but they don't really work together the way a series like this should. I think they had the last-season arc all planned out, and then they decided to insert the eight "bonus" episodes, so it feels padded.

Subterraneanus
06-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Or we can be merciful and let this thread die.

kurahee
06-04-2006, 11:25 PM
I just want to go on record as saying this was one of the worst seasons in the history of HBO TV. What a bunch of bullshit for money. Filler for an extra 8 episodes. But a snoozeroo, waste of time.

The whole season. Crapola. I find out Vito is VERY gay, AJ is not. That wasn't worth a season of Sopranos.

Can anyone justify this other than a money grab? I feel like cancelling HBO right now!

(I added the VERY from my other post, as I knew Vito was gay from the BJ in the parking lot.)

I will also add that I have usually liked the dream sequences, and I enjoyed Tony's coma dream. But the season had nothing.

I disagree that most people want the Godfather. This has never been the Godfather. It's been successful because of the balance of Tony's mob life intertwined with his home life. Very boring, detached storylines, with a whole lot of nothing at the end.

I think Chrissy's wedding was a metaphor for the whole season. It happened quickly, we never met the bride (who looks strangely like Meadow) and then he's wrapped up in an affair with a drug/alcohol user he met in re-hab.

Chrissy will have to go next season. If not by Phil, by Tony himself.

Marley23
06-04-2006, 11:25 PM
I was concerned about this episode from the get go, when I saw that three people took writing credits. Too many writers often spoils the soup, so to speak.
To be fair, Winter and Weiner were credited as a writing team, as they have been for a number of past shows.

Stinkum
06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
I was so disappointed by this episode, and this season in general. The writing was flaccid, and really little tension was set up by the end. The "happy family" at the end gathered 'round the tree with their secrets was just, I don't know, cliched for The Sopranos. I expect a lot more from this show than what I saw.

Aside from the first three episodes, James Gandolfini didn't seem to have much to do, which is a shame, because he's a wonderful actor playing a rich role. A lot of time was squandered on the Vito storyline, I thought. I really wanted to see Paulie more this season, because I think his character hasn't been explored completely.

Having said that, I can't wait for Deadwood. Bring on "Swindgen"!

Argent Towers
06-04-2006, 11:42 PM
I think this episode will be looked back upon as the worst in the entire series. This season will always be remembered as the lowest point of a once-great show. As I've said before, every mention of The Sopranos 5 or 10 years from now, by critics, will bring up the sixth season and how much of a disappointment to its fans it was.

Rachael Rage
06-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Hm. That's interesting. I have rented, and loved, all previous seasons of The Sopranos on DVD, and this is the first season I've been able to see in "real time." But after the first 3 or 4 episodes (after Tony woke up from the coma), I haven't made much effort to watch them. I read a few re-caps, and I caught one episode (the one where Vito punched, then hooked up with, Johnny Cakes), but failed to get hooked. I kept wondering if I was missing anything good. Apparently not!

I was talking with a friend about this a couple of weeks ago, and we theorized that the show went downhill once they whacked Adrianna. One of the highlights of the show for me was watching her and Chris and their wacky, pathetic adventures ("Christafuh!"). It was so fun. This season? No Ade, no fun.

Let's hope they figure out a way to bring back the fun for the "mini-season."

Joey P
06-05-2006, 12:04 AM
I actually really liked this episode, but I thought it left a lot to be desired as a season finale. They're poised on the brink of everything going to shit, and I think it would have drawn me in a little more if they had gone just a half-step further and given us a little taste of everything going to shit.

As soon as the episode was over I said to the people I was with that either at the end of the show or in the previews, they should've showed one of Phil's/Johnny's guys about to kill one of Tony's guys. Obviously, they wound't show WHO was gonna get hit, but just something to keep people talking for a few weeks.

BlackKnight
06-05-2006, 12:45 AM
I really liked the episode, but it didn't feel like a season finalé at all.

That said, I would have been very, very disappointed if things had suddenly turned into a bloodbath. The "happy Christmas family" ending fits in perfectly with how the season began: Tony, on at least some level, really does appreciate life more now. He was sincerely enjoying spending quality time with his family and friends. It seems cliché because it's exactly what most people do on Christmas. There wasn't anything even remotely mob-related about that last scene. It was just an extended family enjoying Christmas together.

Which, of course, makes it rather dull in one sense. Most of us have had similar Christmases with our families. They might be fun for us, but they wouldn't be all that interesting for outsiders to watch on TV. What makes the scene interesting (for me) is not that it's so normal, but that it's so normal despite who these people are and what they've done.

Season 4 ended not with bloodshed, but with a divorce. This disappointed some fans who wanted to see people die and stuff. But in my opinion, that was arguaby the best season finalé of them all. I think that the writers were attempting something even more daring with this episode. Not only were they avoiding bloodshed, they were avoiding destructive emotional drama as well.

It's a show about the family and The Family, both dysfunctional in their own ways, but season six ended with Tony giving a sincere plea to Phil to love his fellow man (in a non-Vito sort of way). Then he celebrated Christmas with those he loves. Oh, and he handles Chris' actions and lies with respect to Julianna with nothing more than general grumpiness.

I can definitely understand why some viewers might feel let down. But I enjoyed seeing Tony Soprano being, if not a good person, at least a better one.

Other random thoughts:
If we didn't know before, we now know that A.J. was born on July 15. (The day Jesse Ventura was born.)

Uncle Junior tells Bobby that the money was a gift for him and Karen. Ouch.

Great exchange between Uncle Junior and that one lady:
"You can make a hand-turkey."
"For Christmas? Fucking idiot."

A.J. might not be the smartest guy around, but I think we've seen that Tony was at least partially right about him. He's a (comparatively) "good" person. If Tony were in that situation at A.J.'s age, he would have bashed some skulls in. A.J. tried the diplomatic approach.

A.J.'s girlfriend: I'd hit that.

Also, it's interesting how accepting Tony was of her compared to Carmela. He could just have a double-standard that it's ok for his son to date someone of a different race, but not ok for his daughter. However, he might have genuinely changed his attitude since Meadow was dating the "Hassidic Homeboy".

The title of this episode was "Kaisha". This is the name Chris makes up for his imaginary black girlfriend. Is the significance of the title that Tony doesn't blow up at Christopher over the lie? (At least, not to the extent one might have suspected.) Or that his views on race have softened? Both? Something else?

Marley23
06-05-2006, 01:05 AM
I'm a little surprised people are reading the ending as such a happy thing. I got more of a mixed feeling from it. Granted that nobody was murdered and only Meadow was missing - well, her and Uncle Junior, who was on the very cold end of that scene with Bobby - I thought the 'happy' was being dragged down by the obviousness that it wasn't going to last.

John Mace
06-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Is this really a season finale? I think they deliberately didn't leave any crazy kind of cliff hanger because it's supposed to be just continuous with the remaining episodes. I have to say I half expected a bomb to go off in the last scene and blow everyone up, though!

hajario
06-05-2006, 01:56 AM
I'm not sure that war has been averted. Like Sil said, Philly was the devil we know. If he dies, that guy who confronted Tony when Tony left Phil's room might take over. He's the one who suggesting whacking Tony but Phil shot him down.

Next season may concentrate some on the Arab guys too which would be interesting.

C K Dexter Haven
06-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Moderator notes: I have merged two of the threads, so that probably makes for a li'l hiccough in the smooth flow of conversation.

Chefguy
06-05-2006, 10:12 AM
This season was largely a waste of time and talent. Most of the actors seemed to be sleepwalking through their parts, we saw very little of Sil, Pauli and Junior, the Vito plotline was wrist-slitting material, and there was very little tension. The Phil-Tony contention could have been played big time, but was instead allowed to fizzle with a heart attack.

This ep was supposed to be the original series finale, right? And they were going to end it with a big group hug? Fuck that. They wrote the damn thing to coincide with Christmas, then have it air in June? Whomever is running programming at HBO should be sacked.

Joey P
06-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Also, it's interesting how accepting Tony was of her compared to Carmela. He could just have a double-standard that it's ok for his son to date someone of a different race, but not ok for his daughter. However, he might have genuinely changed his attitude since Meadow was dating the "Hassidic Homeboy".

I think there's a diffence on two levels here about his reaction. One, what you've said, he's become more accepting of people. Two, there's a difference between his son having a relationship with a black girl and becoming responsible and his 18 year old daughter being fucked by a mulignane.

Marley23
06-05-2006, 10:57 AM
This ep was supposed to be the original series finale, right? And they were going to end it with a big group hug? Fuck that.
I'm sure they weren't ending on a hug. They obviously chagned some plots when they came up with this split-season idea.

AuntiePam
06-05-2006, 11:52 AM
If we didn't know before, we now know that A.J. was born on July 15. (The day Jesse Ventura was born.)

That was funny. I liked that she referred to Ventura as a politician, rather than as a professional wrestler. :)

RogueRacer
06-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I wonder what was up with Paulie and AJ's new woman?

Bring on Deadwood!

What Exit?
06-05-2006, 12:55 PM
I wonder what was up with Paulie and AJ's new woman?

Bring on Deadwood!
I doubt anything is up with them. His manner of speech seemed very typical for an older Italian man greeting a young woman in their normal job related interaction. I have seen this all my life.

Jim

Push You Down
06-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I like this episode and over all have enjoyed this season... Yes it's probably the weakest of the series but there's been some good stuff in there.

I kept looking at the clock not because I was bored but because I felt like this episode was so packed with little scenes small builds that I kept thinking it was almost over. Other episodes have been so slow in comparison.

What the .... ?!?!
06-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Did the actor that played Carmela's dad pass away? I noticed a new face at the Christmas party and the dedication at the beginning of the show.

For me, the highlights this year were Little Carmen's mangling of the English language and Phil's ranting about Vito ..... last night we got both in one scene!!

While there were no resolutions or major cliffhangers last night, I thought the whole episode was good overall without any low points.

anyrose
06-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Yea, but just being bored with drugs probably isn't going to pull him out of it. He might need to get slapped around by Tony a little. As for AJ, that seemed pretty stupid. The girl (Blanca, Bianca, Branca whatever her name was) probably thinks he went out their and roughed them up and meanwhile he's gonna have to find something new to give them each week to make them go away.
that's my take on it, too - the punks now see AJ as someone to take advantage of (forgive my grammar)

What Exit?
06-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Did the actor that played Carmela's dad pass away? I noticed a new face at the Christmas party and the dedication at the beginning of the show.

For me, the highlights this year were Little Carmen's mangling of the English language and Phil's ranting about Vito ..... last night we got both in one scene!!

While there were no resolutions or major cliffhangers last night, I thought the whole episode was good overall without any low points.
Her Dad is played by Tom Aldredge as Hugh DeAngelis. There is no indication he has died. He was listed for some of the episodes this year. This was not an exhaustive search, but I would say he is still among the living.

Jim

GrandWino
06-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Hugh is played by Tom Aldredge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Aldredge). This season he shaved his beard which changed his look a bit. He looked thinner at the Christmas party scene to me, but it was definitely him I thought.

Push You Down
06-05-2006, 01:43 PM
yeah same actor just minus his beard.

Marley23
06-05-2006, 01:47 PM
The dedication was for John Patterson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tiffen_Patterson), who directed the final episodes of seasons one through five, as well as a number of other Sopranos episodes.

gonzomax
06-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I know it's not "really" a finale, but you know what I mean.

We're left with very little in the way of cliffhangers. Besides Agent Harris's warning about someone close to Tony being in danger, there's almost no indication of what will happen in the remaining episodes. The possibility of a New York - Jersey war, the biggest potential plot point of the rest of the show, seems like it might be lessened by Tony's talk to Phil.

I don't know if I liked this episode very much. I think it was a bad way to end the year's season. It resolved very little (besides Chris back on heroin which we ALL SAW COMING) and had little in the way of high drama or exciting action. Even the dialog seemed kind of awkward. The best thing about the episode, by far, was the fact that it started off with Carlo.

First, have you ever heard about the calm before the storm? I believe that war is emminent. Talk is cheap & perhaps Tony's conversation w/ Phil was only a formality. The war may start w/o Phil's consent? See when Tony left the hospital room? Tony told him that when he come out to concertrate on his grandchildren. But his exit from the room seemed hostile w/ that guy standing in Tony's way to provoke him.

Second, Agent Harris warning to Tony was just a professional courtesy? I say that because of what I've read in the newspaper. That is Silvio & Paulie have not signed their contrat for the last 8 episodes.

Lochdale
06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
It wasn't a great episode. I thought Margolis' character was too rushed. Suddenly she's a junkie? Eh, didn't do anything for me.

That said, I loved the part where Tony tells Sil to lean on the building inspector just to get Carmela off of his back.

I think the fella who blocked Tony off when he was leaving Phil's room will start a war. Someone is going to get killed and I think it's going to be Christopher.

Jackknifed Juggernaut
06-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Christopher is regressing back to his druggie days and simultaneously betraying Tony with Juliana. Meanwhile, AJ is working construction, managing a "family" and negotiating with low-lifes. I predict that by the end of the series, AJ will be the obvious successor to Tony and Chris will be dead..........or...........the exact opposite will happen.........unless...........they set up a potential AJ vs. Chris battle for power to end the whole thing in a neat way (since The Sopranos began with Tony battling his uncle for supremacy).

Just keeping my bases covered.

Jackknifed Juggernaut
06-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I suggested this in my previous post, but let me expand.

Initially, I thought AJ was being a wimp for giving away his bike to get rid of the noise-makers. However, I think that he has the instinct that a mafia boss must have. You can't go to war every time. There have been plenty of occasions that Tony has given up some of his business to New York in order to prevent a fight. My guess is that early next season, AJ will again leave the apartment, go to his trunk, and come out with a baseball bat.

NothingMan
06-05-2006, 05:41 PM
OK I've now watched the "season finale" twice and I think they goofed on something in the editing. Early on there's a scene with Christopher and the real estate agent having sex, followed by him smoking on the bed and her asking him "what are we doing?" Then five minutes later we see Chrissy first meet her at an AA meeting. Huh? That first scene should have gone AFTER they meet and BEFORE they fall off the wagon. Its not like anything else in the entire episode was shown out of sequence - so why was this scene done so?? It confused the hell out of me the first time I saw it. I thought it was Chris' "black" girlfriend and that she was just light skinned or something. So am I the only one who was confused by this?

Otherwise I'm with most everyone else in feeling dissapointment. The freakin "Big Love" finale was the bomb. In my mind they blew the Sopranos away.

MLS
06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
OK I've now watched the "season finale" twice and I think they goofed on something in the editing. Early on there's a scene with Christopher and the real estate agent having sex, followed by him smoking on the bed and her asking him "what are we doing?" Then five minutes later we see Chrissy first meet her at an AA meeting. Huh? That first scene should have gone AFTER they meet and BEFORE they fall off the wagon. Its not like anything else in the entire episode was shown out of sequence - so why was this scene done so?? It confused the hell out of me the first time I saw it. I thought it was Chris' "black" girlfriend and that she was just light skinned or something. So am I the only one who was confused by this?

Otherwise I'm with most everyone else in feeling dissapointment. The freakin "Big Love" finale was the bomb. In my mind they blew the Sopranos away.
I think that part about the AA meeting is what's known as a "flashback."

Diogenes the Cynic
06-05-2006, 06:03 PM
I suggested this in my previous post, but let me expand.

Initially, I thought AJ was being a wimp for giving away his bike to get rid of the noise-makers. However, I think that he has the instinct that a mafia boss must have. You can't go to war every time. There have been plenty of occasions that Tony has given up some of his business to New York in order to prevent a fight. My guess is that early next season, AJ will again leave the apartment, go to his trunk, and come out with a baseball bat.
It's also SOP for mob guys to avoid confrontation and grease wheels by spreading a little green around. A hundred bucks in the pocket here or there simultaneously opens doors and generates good will. Not everything has to be about intimidation and violence. Bribery is a time-tested and reliable tactic as well.

GrandWino
06-05-2006, 06:16 PM
I've heard rumblings (in another thread here, perhaps?) that when Chase was talked into doing 8 extra episodes for this season, most of this past season is what he came up with - leaving his original "final episodes" to air last, next year. I don't know if the production time line supports this - but it makes sense in a way. It gave him all sort of self-indulgent time to fool around w/ all his commentary on the human condition, but he still gets to end the series the way he'd originally planned.

Argent Towers
06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
It's also SOP for mob guys to avoid confrontation and grease wheels by spreading a little green around. A hundred bucks in the pocket here or there simultaneously opens doors and generates good will. Not everything has to be about intimidation and violence. Bribery is a time-tested and reliable tactic as well.

Tell that to the submorons on the IMDB discussion forum. "omg AJ is such a f*ckin pussy!"

NothingMan
06-05-2006, 08:40 PM
I think that part about the AA meeting is what's known as a "flashback."

I suppose - but there was nothing to mark it as one. As I mentioned previously, nothing else in the episode is done via flashback, its all in chronilogical order except that one scene. Why do it that way? Its very confusing and sloppy. However from the lack of responses I guess I'm the only viewer who was tripped up by that. So never mind.

:confused:

Chefguy
06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I suppose - but there was nothing to mark it as one. As I mentioned previously, nothing else in the episode is done via flashback, its all in chronilogical order except that one scene. Why do it that way? Its very confusing and sloppy. However from the lack of responses I guess I'm the only viewer who was tripped up by that. So never mind.

I seem to recall that right after that scene they briefly showed Juliana with a sappy look on her face. That was supposed to let you know that it was a flashback, I guess, but she doesn't emote well.

AuntiePam
06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
However from the lack of responses I guess I'm the only viewer who was tripped up by that. So never mind.

You're not the only one. I thought it was clumsily done and unnecessary. Who cares how they met? If the writers thought we'd be confused, they could have explained it in some conversation between the two of them.

zoog
06-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I think the fella who blocked Tony off when he was leaving Phil's room will start a war. Someone is going to get killed and I think it's going to be Christopher.

I don't know how they'll play it out, war with NY or whatever, but I've been picking up some heavy foreshadowing hints that one of the Soprano kids is gonna get killed before this is all said and done. Especially in the Carmela storylines, her dealing with Adrianna's mom, the discussion she had in Paris with Rosalie about Jackie Jr.

OpalCat
06-06-2006, 12:53 AM
besides real-life gangster Tony Sirico.
Real-life gangster? Can you elaborate, as I know nothing about the guy...

KGS
06-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Wow, that so-called finale sucked. Last week was set up so well, with NY Phil whacking Vito in the most horrible and disturbing way possible...and what's Tony's reaction? "Think about your grandchildren, Phil." WTF???

At least I got a laugh when Carmella read the letter from the Building Inspector: "Tony, is this from you?" ;) :D :cool:

Real-life gangster? Can you elaborate, as I know nothing about the guy... From Tony Sirico's IMDB profile: Tony Sirico served time in prison during the late 1960s and early '70s for sticking up a few after hours clubs. He left prison for the last time in 1972.

OpalCat
06-06-2006, 02:26 AM
Yeah I saw that, but I don't see that as meaning he is a gangster... just that he committed some crimes. There is a vast world of difference between the two, as I'm sure you realize...is there more to it than just that?

BlackKnight
06-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Courtesy of The Smoking Gun: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/sirico/sirico.html

Because before becoming an actor, Sirico was a mob-connected thug who dealt speed, packed a loaded Beretta, and was once actually declared a "danger to society" by a New York judge.

After a dispute with a disco owner, Sirico once warned, "I'm going to come back here and carve my initials in your forehead. You better learn a lesson, you better show me the respect I deserve."

Now, I hate to make light of real-world mobsters, but I have to admit that does sound amusingly close to the Paulie "Walnuts" we all know.

DMark
06-06-2006, 03:04 AM
AJ and I share a birthday in common...of all the characters, I have to share it with that dipstick.

Actually, I think the nice little Christmas gathering will be one hell of a kick start to the final eight episodes...sort of the last happy moment before the feces hits the fan.

My predictions:

Major character will be whacked in the first of the next episodes (although there are already plans for Sopranos:The Movie so don't look for Tony to die off.)
Big time war between the two families will ensue.
Carmilla will figure out Ade was indeed murdered and Tony will be doing some major tap dancing to get out of that one.
The Arab boys are up to no good and this will bring the wrath of Homeland Security storming into Bada Bing for reasons other than lap dances.
Anyone remember how at the beginning of the series it seemed odd for Tony to be spilling his guts to a shrink? My guess is the very last scene will be Tony talking to the psychiatrist, with perhaps some final, major revelation.

OpalCat
06-06-2006, 03:12 AM
Of all the things I didn't need to see in this lifetime, high on the list was an AJ love scene.

What the .... ?!?!
06-06-2006, 05:55 AM
I seem to recall that right after that scene they briefly showed Juliana with a sappy look on her face. That was supposed to let you know that it was a flashback, I guess, but she doesn't emote well.

I was confused during the scene but I thought it was pretty clear at the end of the scene that it was. Wasn't it clear that they faded back to her daydreaming?

re Aj .......... I just can't see him joining the family and achieving any status (other than Bosses Kid) in 8 episodes. Maybe BK is all it takes, though.

My speculative AJ story line: he continues to work a real job and take responsibility for himself and his new family but Tony and Carmela have a bigger problem with it than when he was a worthless slug.

kurahee
06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Of all the things I didn't need to see in this lifetime, high on the list was an AJ love scene.

Although I would normally agree whole-heartedly, after this season I was just grateful that it wasn't a "Johnny Cakes" moment, when Vito rolls over, gets spooned and then we see Bobby's train going into the tunnel.

Thanks for that visual. And ruining my Lionel train moments as a kid forever.

Re: inconsistencies.

Wasn't Bobby's eyepatch there and not there? I thought they shot concrete into his eye and he had perm. eye damage. I could have sworn there was a scene with his eye patch on, and then another one with his eye patch off. Anyone else catch that?

Re: predictions.

I've heard the Sopranos movie rumors also, so as long as that's in the wind, Tony doesn't die. And since they shot the last 8 episodes already, it's probably a done deal. They've probably shot alternative endings, but killing Tony ends any need for a movie.

So,

If there is a war, (and if there isn't, can you imagine how painful the last 8 episodes will be?) Chris and/or Paulie and/or Sil will go. You can't keep them all around.

AJ may get whacked, but it may have nothing to do with the Family. If he stays with this woman, I can see him running out of bicycles and getting in trouble with her neighborhood "homies." AJ is not capable of taking over for Tony. And there are too many people between Tony and the throne to allow that to happen.

Chris is on drugs again, his wife is having a baby and his goomar is on drugs also. Good combo. Plus, Tony wants her. Chris will be as likely to die by Tony's hand as NY's. But he's a trainwreck.

Carmella - don't care. I used to think she would have a revelation about Tony, and she did, but the money and material goods were more important to her than living on an honest dime. So I wouldn't miss her at all. She could die and a movie could be done. Falco has won so many awards for Carmella, though, that I think it will be her call to end the character if there is a movie deal.

Meadow - If I had to see a sex scene with one of the Sopranos kids, I would have liked it to have been Meadow. However, she was marginalized this season, and her character is still that sappy, whiny spoiled kid that she's always been.

Janice - I can only hope that Chase gives her the grisley death she deserves. What a horrible human being. I feel bad for Turturrio (sp?) She plays Janice so well, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to see her again without feeling rage.

D_Odds
06-06-2006, 10:50 AM
I was also a little surprised by the lack of eyepatch, but this episode takes place between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My recollection (certainly not perfect) is that the damage was not permanent, so I can understand that in the elapsed time, the patch would finally have come off. I got the feeling that the Uncle Junior scene was very close to Christmas.

Honey
06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Possible spoiler about who dies...

There was a spoiler revealed on the TWOP site that said a going away party had been thrown for little Stevie

Marley23
06-06-2006, 11:36 AM
since they shot the last 8 episodes already
I'm not sure about that. Just last week I was reading articles about how they are working on the actors' contracts for the final season.

kurahee
06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure about that. Just last week I was reading articles about how they are working on the actors' contracts for the final season.

If this is true, then perhaps there is some hope. I had heard they were already finished. This could actually be good news.

DMark
06-06-2006, 12:58 PM

Also, Edie Falco was just on some talk show (Conan?) and said they are just now starting to film the last episodes.

Mixolydian
06-09-2006, 03:40 PM
I overheard a caller on a radio talk show yesterday mention that Phil's cleaning woman ("cleaning woman???") /mistress was the one-legged Russian/sister of Tony's goomar...anyone else catch that?

Push You Down
06-09-2006, 04:31 PM
...it was not.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.