PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of people who go braless

Helen's Eidolon
07-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Imagine you are sitting in a cafe. You look over, and, if you are looking and at all observant, you notice the woman next to you is not wearing a bra. You can't see her boobs through her shirt or anything, but the shape is definitely different, and maybe you don't see bra straps where you think you would.

1) Do you notice? Would you look at some random person's chest long enough to determine this?

2) What do you think of this person? Any immediate impressions or biases?

spingears
07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Imagine you are sitting in a cafe. You look over, and, if you are looking and at all observant, you notice the woman next to you is not wearing a bra. You can't see her boobs through her shirt or anything, but the shape is definitely different, and maybe you don't see bra straps where you think you would. Anything braless and perky is jail bait. Don't go there!

1) Do you notice? Would you look at some random person's chest long enough to determine this?Ony briefly.

2) What do you think of this person? Any immediate impressions or biases?Slovenly or sloppy dresser. Not chic! No class!

DiosaBellissima
07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
1) Do you notice? Would you look at some random person's chest long enough to determine this?

1) I'm a chick, of course I notice. You don't have to stare for very long at all to determine if someone is braless or not. If the girl has big tits (anything bigger than a small B), you'll notice right away that they aren't being held down. If the girl has smaller boobs, you can usually tell from either her nips sticking out or the fact that she's wearing a revealing shirt that wouldn't allow for a bra.

2) I think it is tacky, tacky, tacky. I've got D's and I wouldn't imagine going out in public without these suckers taped down (or pushed up ;)). When I see a woman with a large chest flopping all over the place, I can't help but think the display is vulgar and a huge faux pas.

Smaller breasted women can get away with such a display depending on the setting. Even then though, I don't really want to see her nipples. Men, on the other hand. . . :p

Beware of Doug
07-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I heartily endorse this product and/or service.

Farmwoman
07-27-2006, 10:13 PM
I'll chime in from the other end of the ballpark. Unless the woman is overweight I find it charming and characteristic of healthy self-esteem. That goes for large-breasted women too. I have a hippie friend with large breasts and she never wears a bra. She's 43 years old and in good physical shape, doesn't dress to advertise her bra-lessness (the only reason I know is because she frequently nurses her child in my presence) and she looks great...she moves a bit more than harnessed women her size, but she looks really wonderful and serene.

I lack that level of self-confidence and never let my C cups out without appropriate underwire containment features.

Constipated Mathematician
07-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Phil Mickelson and other chubby, breasted men do this all of the time.

I can't stand it, and would support legislation to stop this immediately.

I think this benefit would far outweigh the occasional woman that looks good going braless.

Thank you for your support. (pun intended)

DianaG
07-27-2006, 10:50 PM
It doesn't bother me, as long as it's not in an inappropriate venue (work, basically), and as long as it doesn't look gross. To me, not wearing a bra when you clearly need one is a fashion faux pas on the same level as wearing a miniskirt when you're legs are veiny. I'm not thinking "SLUT!!!", I'm thinking "Wow, doesn't she realize that's perhaps not her best possible look? Does she not own a mirror?"

AHunter3
07-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Small — good, that's cute and probably more comfortable for her, why harness 'em if they aren't getting in the way?

Large — wouldn't that be distracting to her, to have all that weight shifting around?

I don't associate it with being a slut one way or the other. I have nothing against sluts, by the way — while some can certainly be sexually manipulative and fundamentally hostile towards males, others are just female folks who really like to screw a lot and are fairly matter-of-fact casual about who and when and where, and happen to be rather nice people.

alice_in_wonderland
07-27-2006, 11:28 PM
For 1, I would probably notice if she were in my line of sight.

for 2 - if her boobs were at an appropriate level, I would think good for her. If they were slung down at her waist a la Drew Barrymore (http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/golden-globes/in-defense-of-the-braless-drew-barrymore-149330.php) at the Golden Globes (HA!), I'd wonder why she was trying to make herself look so fat and dumpy.

Diogenes the Cynic
07-27-2006, 11:35 PM
1. Of course I notice it.
2. I'm heavily in favor of it.

tashabot
07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
As a woman who hates bras -

Probably wouldn't bother me.

I wear a bra at work, and that's about it. No matter what I do I can't get one that fits me right; I'm only a B cup but I have a HUGE rib cage, so they're always either too loose or too tight. I tried getting a bra custom made and even that bothered me. So I don't wear 'em. And honestly, I don't give a shit what anyone thinks about it. If being comfortable is tacky, then I'm tacky.

~Tasha

Dervorin
07-28-2006, 12:08 AM
I must admit I'd probably notice. Not that I would look to check, but in some women, bralessness is very immediately apparent. Headlights, on the other hand, I seem to always notice. Even in women I don't want to notice it in. They sort of... jump out at me, what can I say?

No real biases; I might think she could be more attractive with a bra, or "Wow, she looks good!". My theory is that people have a right to dress the way they want without being judged for it. Of course, I don't always manage to put the theory into practice, but I try.

Rubystreak
07-28-2006, 12:54 AM
1. Of course I notice it.
2. I'm heavily in favor of it.

I guess I'm kind of sick of men just saying "buh, I'm in FAVOR of it!!!111!!" Some women with really perky boobs look hot without a bra, but if you have more than a handful, it's very likely not going to look too great. Most women's boobs tend downward and outward, and bras push them up and together. THIS is the look most men appreciate when they are staring at a woman's chest, yet they will all mindlessly proclaim that they loooove braless women. The line of most women's garments does not look good with untethered breasts.

As for what I think when I see a woman without a bra on, I think, if she looks floppy, "How is that comfortable?" and "you're going to be sagging bigtime, if you're not already." If she looks good, I think she's lucky, because good bras cost big $$$.

Thank god for modern foundation garment technology, which has kept my DD's mostly where they should be. Don't leave home without one.

pbbth
07-28-2006, 01:10 AM
I am a heavy, fairly large breasted woman and I support the braless look. You should wear one to work and to the theater (and whatever other shmancy places you go) but if I am going to wal-mart at 10:30 pm or taking out my trash or whatever I am certianly not putting on a bra. I have yet to find an underwire bra that doesn't dig into my sides or a non-underwire bra that provides a noticable amount of support. I'm not saying it is classy, but people should be able to be comfortable, and if it is okay for young, thin girls to wear their daisy dukes so high that their asses hang out the bottom and old men to wear socks with flip flops, I will feel it is okay for me to go without a bra if I feel like it.

Foldup Rabbit
07-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Braless women who have the breasts for it (small, perky, high) look free. Sort of extra-casual in a hippie sort of way.

Braless women who don't... look sort of trashy. I do not have small boobs. I own a whole lot of bras.

Green Cymbeline
07-28-2006, 01:38 AM
I used to never leave the house without a bra. However, that was before I started working from home. My work attire now is my pajamas - a nightie or tank and boxers. No bra or underwear. After a year of telecommuting, I have gotten very used to this, to the point that it becomes a major pain to put on real clothes. I only do so if guests or over or if I am going out.

If I am just going to thr grocery store, I won't wear a bra. A year ago, I would have never done this. But now, I hate the hassle of putting the bra on just for a run to the grocery store. I am a 34C and have perky breasts, so I think they look OK (my boyfriend agrees). Of course when I am in the freezer section, sometimes my nipples show.

I know I should probably wear a bra when I go out. I admit it - I'm just lazy. (Kind of ironic since I love pretty bras and have scores of beautiful ones, but now they hardly ever leave the drawer.)

And yes, I definitely notice if a woman is not wearing a bra. Most times, I find it unattractive because a lot of women have saggy or unshapely boobs. I am lucky that my boobs look OK without a bra.

BlackKnight
07-28-2006, 01:38 AM
1. It's highly unlikely that I'd notice. I don't go around staring at chests.

2. I wouldn't care one way or another.

Nava
07-28-2006, 02:42 AM
1) If it's a male, I'd expect it (silly PC OP)

2) If they have tiny breasts, why should they wear a bra? If the breasts are any big, are they comfortable? I know I'm not (C-cup)

3) Being cruel and nasty, myself and several classmates once ran a bet with some of the guys and, of course, won. There was this slut who had many of them crazy; one of her tricks was wearing strapless bras. If someone with moderately-sized breasts, like her, had gone bra-less, they wouldn't have stayed in place - hers did. The guys didn't believe us when we explained this, so we made them a bet. For two weeks, some of us would come bra-less or with strapless bras; the guys had to figure out who and on what days.
None of us ever came bra-less. On the day the bet ended, the guys said we'd never been strapless and gave a list of days we'd gone bra-less (it was the days we'd gone strapless); they claimed we were all bra-less and we just lifted our tees on the sides, enough for them to see the sides of our bustiers, strapless and other interesting devices engineered by lingerie experts worldwide.

Apart of having to pay for our mid-morning snacks for a month, some of them had to take fast trips to the bathroom. We are still trying to figure out how is it possible for guys to spend so much time looking at lingerie catalogs and so little seeing the articles, probably something about hormones...

Dinsdale
07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Unfettered breasts seem to have a magnetic effect on my eyes.
Of course I notice (tho I hope I don't stare.)
It's just a little surprise present - a glimpse at something that it seems you ought not ordinarily see.
Can't recall ever thinking bralessness = uncomfortable. And it has to be a pretty exceptional breast for me to consider it unattractive. Bralessness alone does not = slutty, low class, or anything else - tho it can be one element contributing to that impression if combined with the appropriate overall attire, grooming, etc.
If the person were grossly obese or something, and displaying a lot of skin, I probably wouldn't be looking.
And I have thought extremely large breasts looked uncomfortable, almost to the point of experiencing sympathetic back pain, whether in a bra or not.
But add another male vote heartily endorsing breast liberation.

Skywatcher
07-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Phil Mickelson and other chubby, breasted men do this all of the time.

I can't stand it, and would support legislation to stop this immediately.You wouldn't be from Ohio by any chance?

Ethilrist
07-28-2006, 09:37 AM
1. As my daddy taught me many years ago when I was learning how to play cards, "If you hold your hand where I can see it, I'm going to look," so, yes, I'd notice.

2. The only downside kind of thought I'd likely have is if she was well-endowed, "I hope she doesn't have to run to catch a bus or something... she could put an eye out..."

Anaamika
07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
I agree down the line with DianaG. (Big surprise, she has good thoughts). I don't think it's slutty. Sometimes I envy the girl a little, she has the courage and the build (presumably) to get away with it.

Beware of Doug
07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Either that or you've invested heavily in the Bro (http://www.theseinfeldian.com/2006/03/bro.html).

monstro
07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
I only notice if the breasts are big and floppy, and the material covering them is sheer. But when I do notice, I rarely think anything bad about the woman. The thought is more like, "Hmm, I bet that's uncomfortable."

I don't wear bras, unless I'm working out (which is rare) or I'm wearing a top that is form-fitting and I don't want the nipples to show. And even then, most times I'll grab some Scotch tape and affix it to my nipples to hold them down. My breasts are pretty small and perky, so in my case a bra is more of an inconvienence than its worth. When I do wear one, I usually take it off the moment I get home.

934spe
07-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Of course when I am in the freezer section, sometimes my nipples show.

And we thank you.

Lionne
07-28-2006, 10:22 AM
I see this a lot at work, dealing with a wide range of customers. Very rarely does it look appealing on women with natural breasts, and it's almost always noticed, regardless of the woman's size. It's not something I look for but it does rather stick out (haha).

I can't fathom why a woman would not wear a bra with a shirt that provides no support. It does make me think they don't care about their appearance or how they present themselves to others.

I personally rarely go out in public without a bra, and only then if I'm wearing supportive top. A couple friends of mine have had breast augmentation, and they go braless and look great doing it. I'd love to have that freedom, but that's not an option for me.

chela
07-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I go braless a lot, maybe people notice I dunno. I don't care. I usually wear a cami under my blouse. I have several soft luxurious camisoles, they feel much nicer than most bras.

OneCentStamp
07-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Here. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=381525). Join my organization. Be intrigued by my ideas. Subscribe to my newsletter. :D

There are some outfits (certain dresses, blouses, and camisole-type shirts) that don't work with bras at all, or don't work as well. And there are women, generally of the small-breasted variety, who look great (and not a bit slutty) in them.

However, big bra-less boobs = either slutty or just plan dumpy/frumpy IMHO.

whole bean
07-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Why is it that in all of the responses, it's assumed that women either have big boobs (canteloupes) or little boobs (mosquito bites). Have y'all never seen medium sized boobs (grapefruit)? Boobs don't have to be small (or fake) to be perky.

My wife has very full B's, but she's only 5 foot and weighs about 100 lbs, so they look proportionally larger than what one thinks of a B (not that bigger or smaller wouldn't look nice too, I like all sizes. It's the shape that matters most). Anyway, there are several nicer dresses and tops that she has that cannot be worn with a bra (and they're not tacky; they're quite haute). She has the figure for them. She looks great in them. If you would ever see her, you would agree that she could never be accused of looking tacky. If you can wear it well, fine; the same rule applies to men. How many times have I seen a man wearing a tight fitting shirt that showcases his man-boobs? Too many. Dude needs a bro - the manziere.

If you have nice breasts (or a nice chest) show them/it off. If you don't, cover it.

Rubystreak
07-28-2006, 11:13 AM
If you have nice breasts (or a nice chest) show them/it off. If you don't, cover it.

I really don't think it's a matter of having or not having nice breasts. I think mine are pretty decent, and they look good with a bra or without. I feel pretty fortunate about my chest, having seen a whole lot worse out there.

The decision to wear a bra has nothing to do with how nice they are-- it has everything to do with a) my comfort level-- with DDs, you have to wear support; b) efforts to keep them looking good by fighting gravity and stretch marks, c) how poorly my clothes would look and fit without a bra.

So don't buy into this notion that women who go braless have "nicer breasts" than women who don't. It's not about that at all.

YaWanna
07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
1) I notice, without having to take long enough to look that anyone could tell.

2) I think it's tacky, tasteless, low-class, slutty, etc. In any setting, at any time, unless the woman is flat-chested.

3) Hi Opal! (obligatory)

Inigo Montoya
07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Sitting at a cafe? Shoot, just yesterday I was in the car going 40 mph and noticed an unrestrained pair taking their owner for a walk. I'm not good at guessing sizes but the shape and tone was...wow. To bundle hers up would have been like leaving a Porsche in the garage and depriving everyone else of the beuaty God has bestowed upon her.

But seriously, it totally turned her into an object as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if that's always the plan when one uses a t-shirt as a bra, but it's certainly distracting. And I'm not really a boob man. And like anything else, the setting is everything. I actually get a little miffed when women dress sexy for work because, well, we're all supposed to be generic asexual drones here--HR has policies that make that pretty clear. You start bringing attention to your primary or secondary sexual characteristics and you're going to have an adverse effect on production.

Tastes of Chocolate
07-28-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't wear bras, unless I'm working out (which is rare) or I'm wearing a top that is form-fitting and I don't want the nipples to show. And even then, most times I'll grab some Scotch tape and affix it to my nipples to hold them down.

Did you really use the words Scotch tape and nipples in the same sentence? OWIE!! :eek:

Fretful Porpentine
07-28-2006, 12:27 PM
May I ask why so many of these responses verge on outright hostility toward bra-less women? How exactly are they harming anybody?

For the record, my answers are: 1) No, I have better things to do than speculate about other people's underwear; and 2) in the unlikely event that I did notice, I would assume that she, like me, is extremely uncomfortable in a bra, and accordingly chooses to wear clothing that makes her comfortable.

Farmwoman
07-28-2006, 12:51 PM
If they were slung down at her waist a la Drew Barrymore (http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/golden-globes/in-defense-of-the-braless-drew-barrymore-149330.php) at the Golden Globes (HA!), I'd wonder why she was trying to make herself look so fat and dumpy.

Oh, for heaven's sake. That's awful. But it's not the boobs or their lack of foundation that's out of line in that case. Even with a professionally fitted corset under there, that dress would have made her look like the shy fat girl who showed up to the '79 prom with her younger brother in tow. I'm sure that Drew braless in a flattering outfit would make us all stare for other reasons.

anu-la1979
07-28-2006, 12:55 PM
I've seen that Drew Barrymore dress on other people significantly thinner than her and they all looked awful. I've also seen it in a short "at the knees" length. I think there's a cracked out stylist running amuck in Hollywood.

B. Serum
07-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Imagine you are sitting in a cafe. You look over, and, if you are looking and at all observant, you notice the woman next to you is not wearing a bra. You can't see her boobs through her shirt or anything, but the shape is definitely different, and maybe you don't see bra straps where you think you would.

1) If at all possible. I actually struggle to not look at some random person's chest long enough to determine this.

2) No judgement, but typically appreciative as breasts as such eye candy for me.

These are general statements and are subject to a number of factors you haven't specified, e.g. type of shirt, woman's fashion style, body type etc.

Left Hand of Dorkness
07-28-2006, 01:49 PM
I guess I'm kind of sick of men just saying "buh, I'm in FAVOR of it!!!111!!" Some women with really perky boobs look hot without a bra, but if you have more than a handful, it's very likely not going to look too great.
:dubious: I suppose it's theoretically possible that men are too stupid to know what they find attractive, but maybe you can entertain the possibility that YOU don't know what these guys find attractive? I suspect you'll find far more women criticizing other women for their lack of underwear than you'll find guys, even if we're talking about women who couldn't appear on the cover of a women's magazine.

Daniel

sunacres
07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Wow. This thread is shocking. It was bothersome to me when my mother-in-law would be critical of my daughter's choice in tops because they didn't sufficiently disguise her breasts. Similarly, my girlfriend's daughter was an early bloomer and her fourth grade teacher humiliated her in front of the class by insisting that she start wearing a bra. But I thought those were exceptional cases of prudish old biddies from another era.

I guess not. It seems as though women are still pressuring each other to conform to some pretty unfriendly dressing conventions, and breasts are still taboo.

What happened? Is this a reaction of the current "generation" against their braless hippie parents?

934spe
07-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Wow. This thread is shocking. It was bothersome to me when my mother-in-law would be critical of my daughter's choice in tops because they didn't sufficiently disguise her breasts. Similarly, my girlfriend's daughter was an early bloomer and her fourth grade teacher humiliated her in front of the class by insisting that she start wearing a bra. But I thought those were exceptional cases of prudish old biddies from another era.

I guess not. It seems as though women are still pressuring each other to conform to some pretty unfriendly dressing conventions, and breasts are still taboo.

What happened? Is this a reaction of the current "generation" against their braless hippie parents?

Not all of us are against it. Hell, if women wanted to start walking around without a shirt at all, that would be fine with me (and the new members of BLA)...

DiosaBellissima
07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I am a heavy, fairly large breasted woman and I support the braless look. You should wear one to work and to the theater (and whatever other shmancy places you go) but if I am going to wal-mart at 10:30 pm or taking out my trash or whatever I am certianly not putting on a bra. I have yet to find an underwire bra that doesn't dig into my sides or a non-underwire bra that provides a noticable amount of support. I'm not saying it is classy, but people should be able to be comfortable, and if it is okay for young, thin girls to wear their daisy dukes so high that their asses hang out the bottom and old men to wear socks with flip flops, I will feel it is okay for me to go without a bra if I feel like it.

I suppose it depends on how big your tits are, but if you have a bra that actually fits, it shouldn't dig into you in any way.

Honestly, I don't even notice when I'm wearing a bra, because they all fit properly. Whenver I hear my friends complaining about how badly their bras hurt, they are often wearing the completely wrong size. And it isn't hard to find bras in bigger sizes: Lane Bryant ranges from 36 (maybe even 34) to 46 around and cup sizes from B to F.

And, although I do think it is tacky on a fashion level, I am most critical of the braless because, damnit, it looks painful. Of course that woman is most welcome to dress however she pleases, but that doesn't mean it wont remind me of the pain of boobs pulling down on my skin. Wow, that was jumbly.

D_Odds
07-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Of course that woman is most welcome to dress however she pleases, but that doesn't mean it wont remind me of the pain of boobs pulling down on my skin. Wow, that was jumbly.I'm sure if you need someone's help holding them up, you would get plenty of volunteers. I'd volunteer, but I'm on the wrong coast, and if I began to switch coasts, Mrs. D_Odds would kill me (if I'm lucky).

Cervaise
07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Impressions of people who go bralessTwo small dents, each surrounded by a larger rounded dent.

gfloyd
07-28-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm in the "how is that possibly comfortable?" crowd. When I was in my early teens, I refused to wear a bra because my mother would only buy me horridly uncomfortable ones that were way too small. Then my best friend took me shopping, laughed slightly when I went to look at the 40A and gave me a 38 C. It took about a week before it stopped being annoying. Within a month I was like how did I ever do that before? A bra makes me so much more comfortable, not in a self esteem way, but it a physical comfort way. Now I don't even get bras without underwires. Although I have to say that quality makes a big difference. The difference in comfort between a Walmart bra and a Fredricks bra is amazing.

I do think it looks a little tacky to go without, but I also think anything orange is tacky, and I'm not going to tell people they can't dress like a pumpkin, so why should I tell them to wear a bra

OneCentStamp
07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
...me a 38 C...

Pics? :D :cool:

Ethilrist
07-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Two small dents, each surrounded by a larger rounded dent.
Well, if they're that firm, she probably doesn't need a bra anyway.

pendgwen
07-28-2006, 02:47 PM
I suppose it depends on how big your tits are, but if you have a bra that actually fits, it shouldn't dig into you in any way.

Honestly, I don't even notice when I'm wearing a bra, because they all fit properly. Whenver I hear my friends complaining about how badly their bras hurt, they are often wearing the completely wrong size. And it isn't hard to find bras in bigger sizes: Lane Bryant ranges from 36 (maybe even 34) to 46 around and cup sizes from B to F.

And, although I do think it is tacky on a fashion level, I am most critical of the braless because, damnit, it looks painful. Of course that woman is most welcome to dress however she pleases, but that doesn't mean it wont remind me of the pain of boobs pulling down on my skin. Wow, that was jumbly.

I have had numerous professional fittings in hopes of finding bra that's actually comfortable to me so I'm sure I'm wearing the right size. I find bras hugely uncomfortable. They're confining and they make me itch. So I generally don't wear them except for working out. I'm not willing to be constantly miserable in the name of fashion. But I'm not terribly well endowed. I can see how bralessness could be painful for those bustier than I.

As for the OP - I would probably notice. My reaction would be a sort of mental congratulations. Short of pulic indecency, wear what makes you comfortable and those who object needn't look.

Eve
07-28-2006, 02:53 PM
No matter what I do I can't get one that fits me right; I'm only a B cup but I have a HUGE rib cage, so they're always either too loose or too tight.

Bra extenders. I have the same problem: I'm a 38B. You can buy bra extenders online for about $5.00/half-dozen, and they add two inches to a 34B or 36B. Invaluable.

whole bean
07-28-2006, 02:57 PM
I really don't think it's a matter of having or not having nice breasts. I think mine are pretty decent, and they look good with a bra or without. I feel pretty fortunate about my chest, having seen a whole lot worse out there.

The decision to wear a bra has nothing to do with how nice they are-- it has everything to do with a) my comfort level-- with DDs, you have to wear support; b) efforts to keep them looking good by fighting gravity and stretch marks, c) how poorly my clothes would look and fit without a bra.

So don't buy into this notion that women who go braless have "nicer breasts" than women who don't. It's not about that at all.

You miss my point entirely. I don't care why anyone does it and I am not suggesting reasons why anyone does it. I am just commenting on who looks good (as opposed to all of the other terrible things others have written) when they do it. Follow?

whole bean
07-28-2006, 03:06 PM
1) I notice, without having to take long enough to look that anyone could tell.

2) I think it's tacky, tasteless, low-class, slutty, etc. In any setting, at any time, unless the woman is flat-chested.

3) Hi Opal! (obligatory)
These are some strong sentiments. You've esentially called several posters or their significant others "tacky, tasteless, low-class, [and] slutty." I am especially intrigued by the label "low-class." Out of curiousity, are you a male or female Vanderbilt?

AskNott
07-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Do I notice? Probably. I'm entitled to look, but a gentleman doesn't stare.

What do I think of this person? That's the heart of the issue, isn't it?

I'm amazed at how many fuddy-duddy opinions are expressed here. I was a kid in the uptight 1950s, when a braless woman was surely a slut, if not a prostitute in the eyes of most people. Then I was pretty hip during the blooming of women's liberation. I learned that if a woman felt imprisoned by an armor-plated undershirt, she had a right to not wear it, and I had no right to pigeonhole her according to her bra choices. Those are herbreasts, not mine. Her fashion choices need not hang on my opinions, nor those of some Parisian designer.

I thought the world had moved past judging a woman's character by her underwear or lack of it. I guess I was wrong. I'm disappointed.

samm
07-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I think going braless is low-class too. I'm not trying to insult those that claim their comfort is the be-all and end-all as far as their fashion is concerned. It just pops into my brain when I see it. Same with sweatpants. Same with boxers or thongs sticking out over the top of low-slung jeans. Same with pajama pants with phrases written across the butt. Same with t-shirts that say "Princess" or "Hot Mama," etc. I'm sure all of these things are comfortable, but I can't help but think it's trashy. Really doesn't have much to do with "women's lib" though.

Rubystreak
07-28-2006, 05:30 PM
You miss my point entirely. I don't care why anyone does it and I am not suggesting reasons why anyone does it. I am just commenting on who looks good (as opposed to all of the other terrible things others have written) when they do it. Follow?

I don't think I missed anything. You said:

This is an either/or statement you're making: IF you have nice breasts, show them off by not wearing a bra. If you don't have nice breasts, then wear a bra. I'm saying, having nice breasts and showing them off to best effect does NOT mean not wearing a bra. Bras are not just torture devices, they actually serve a purpose, not just fashion-wise, but help make a woman more comfortable, if you get the right one. The implication that all the women in bras wear them because they don't have nice breasts? You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're wrong.

Wearing a good-fitting bra not only helps me look better in my clothes, it has prevented sagging and stretch marks, made athletics possible, and makes me feel a lot better. Big boobs WILL sag, and I'm sorry, ladies, but it doesn't look too hot when your boobs are in the middle of your torso near your navel. That is where they're headed, esp. if you continue to forego bras.

If you're perky and you look good without one, more power to you. You are much to be envied IMO. If you need one and you don't wear one because it's not comfortable, get a professional fitting and then indulge in some well-made ones. It's worth it. They don't have to make you miserable. Has nothing to do with "women's lib," and I think the allegations that it does are silly.

elfkin477
07-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I think going braless is low-class too. I'm not trying to insult those that claim their comfort is the be-all and end-all as far as their fashion is concerned. It just pops into my brain when I see it. Same with sweatpants. Same with boxers or thongs sticking out over the top of low-slung jeans. Same with pajama pants with phrases written across the butt. Same with t-shirts that say "Princess" or "Hot Mama," etc. I'm sure all of these things are comfortable, but I can't help but think it's trashy. Really doesn't have much to do with "women's lib" though.

Do you mean wearing such in public, or that one owns them at all? I've got the pajama pants ("angel"), but it's not as though I leave the house in them...

Bralessness is unprofessional at work, but if you're not too uncomfortable to run around without a bra while out doing errands or what have you outside of work, power to you. It doesn't seem too sluty to me, but I wouldn't do it since it's more uncomfortable than wearing a bra.

Indygrrl
07-28-2006, 06:07 PM
I hardly ever wear a bra and I don't think it's tacky or slutty in the least. In the summer I wear tank tops and they sort of squeeze them in. They certainly don't flop around. And in cooler weather I wear a camisole under my shirt rather than a bra. I don't think it's a big deal.

AwSnappity
07-29-2006, 12:53 AM
As someone who is young (21) and small-chested (34A), I can get away with not wearing a bra, and 9 times out of 10 you wouldn't even notice. The only time you would know in most cases is if you knew me and noticed I didn't look as endowed as I normally look (padded bras are my best friend). I wear a bra pretty much every day, with the exception of one halter top and one dress--I don't like the feel of fabric rubbing against my nipples, I feel noticeably colder without a bra, and I just don't feel comfortable not wearing one (I'm somewhat modest). For the women who are comfortable not wearing bras, I say good for them.

saoirse
07-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I wear a bra pretty much every day, with the exception of one halter top and one dress

Now we know where your username comes from.

934spe
07-31-2006, 05:56 AM
Anyone else think we need to add a "this thread is worthless without pics"?... ;)

calm kiwi
07-31-2006, 07:25 AM
I don't wear bras, unless I'm working out (which is rare) or I'm wearing a top that is form-fitting and I don't want the nipples to show. And even then, most times I'll grab some Scotch tape and affix it to my nipples to hold them down. My breasts are pretty small and perky, so in my case a bra is more of an inconvienence than its worth. When I do wear one, I usually take it off the moment I get home.

I'm a daily bra wearer. I wear it because it makes me feel comfortable (mine ain't huge, just a c but they feel more comfortable in a bra) but JEEZ why on EARTH would you tape up your nipples? Nipples are nipples. They are not some toxic substance that will destroy the planet. If your boobs don't require a bra then don't wear one but why why why would you tape your nipples?

Inigo Montoya
07-31-2006, 09:53 AM
why why why would you tape your nipples?
Because you can't find the aligator clips?

Ethilrist
07-31-2006, 10:21 AM
I thought the world had moved past judging a woman's character by her underwear or lack of it. I guess I was wrong. I'm disappointed.
Hey, the business world still judges guys by quantity and location of body hair.

CanvasShoes
07-31-2006, 10:34 AM
I occasionally notice this. I don't really care, but it does give a bit of an impression of "I don't care how I look and can't be bothered with basic grooming".

Breasts that are extremely large sag, and flop all around and that just isn't an attractive sight.

But like most others here, my thought is much more "Ugh, how can she stand that? than "how tacky" or some such. I have to admit, I also feel the teensiest bit of envy. Someone who doesn't care what others think to THAT extreme, that's brave.

kelly5078
07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm really glad I'm a guy and don't have to deal with what to do/not to do with my breasts.

It's already been decided that women can't possibly appear in public with exposed breasts without causing civilization to collapse. But I think deciding that specific underwear is also required is taking things a bit far.

Put briefly, I don't give a crap.

NajaNivea
07-31-2006, 03:58 PM
I am rather largely-breasted. I'm also in the process of working on a full back-piece tattoo and can't wear a bra until it's completely done healing. I've been wearing those tank-top undershirts so at least I'm all nipply, but damned if I can understand how anyone over an a-cup can do this on a regular basis and be comfy. I feel like I'm bouncing and jiggling all day long.

NajaNivea
07-31-2006, 04:02 PM
so at least I'm all nipply
Gah! At least I'm NOT all nipply.

Stillwell Angel
07-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Small & perky here.

I only wear a bra to work or social functions. In my opinion they are the work of the devil and if my nipples wern't abnormally oversized (for such small boobs) I wouldn't ever bother with one. They're constricting, and in warm weather the get damp and clingy, which then leads to itcy-ness. I have a 45 minute commute and as soon as I get in my car to come home at night the bra comes off. :D

I'm amazed at the women who are saying they are physically uncomfortable without a bra. I guess I just have no idea what big boobs must feel like.

As for what I think of seeing braless women in public, to be honest I must not pay attention because I can't recall ever noticing one, though I'm sure they've been around. But of course I wouldn't think less of them, as I am the president of the anti-bra club. ;)

Rysdad
07-31-2006, 08:47 PM
1. I'd probably, no, I'd assuredly notice.

2. If they were your average breastages, I'd probably think, "To each, his or her own." If they looked like two watermelons in a downhill race, I'd be amused.

robardin
08-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Most women I notice are walking around sans brassière, look good without the bra. I suppose I either don't notice or suppress the image of those that don't.

Whether or not it looks "trashy" as opposed to sexy or cute depends on the neckline, length or tightness of skirt/pants/shorts, height of heels, state of disarray of the hair, if her legs are crossed or the amount of booze left in the bottle in her hand. :eek:

...And after reading through this topic, I now have that song Mambo No. 5 playing in my head.

whole bean
08-01-2006, 04:24 PM

I don't think I missed anything. You said:

This is an either/or statement you're making: IF you have nice breasts, show them off by not wearing a bra. If you don't have nice breasts, then wear a bra. I'm saying, having nice breasts and showing them off to best effect does NOT mean not wearing a bra. Bras are not just torture devices, they actually serve a purpose, not just fashion-wise, but help make a woman more comfortable, if you get the right one. The implication that all the women in bras wear them because they don't have nice breasts? You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're wrong.

I think you erroneously assume that I am suggesting that women with nice breats never wear a bra. I am not and have not. I am simply saying that I don't think it a problem (from a purely aestetic standpoint) if they on occassion go bra-less and I certainly don't think it makes them a slut.

Wearing a good-fitting bra not only helps me look better in my clothes, it has prevented sagging and stretch marks, made athletics possible, and makes me feel a lot better. Big boobs WILL sag, and I'm sorry, ladies, but it doesn't look too hot when your boobs are in the middle of your torso near your navel. That is where they're headed, esp. if you continue to forego bras.

If you're perky and you look good without one, more power to you. You are much to be envied IMO. If you need one and you don't wear one because it's not comfortable, get a professional fitting and then indulge in some well-made ones. It's worth it. They don't have to make you miserable. Has nothing to do with "women's lib," and I think the allegations that it does are silly.

Who said anything about women's lib? I am glad you like bras. Wear 'em till they stick to your skin for all I care. I have never said that women with nice breasts shouldn't or don't wear bras. I said that they don't "always" have to.

I does have SOMETHING to do with whether a woman has nice breasts. IF she doesn't, she probably shouldn't go bra less. If she does, she can ON OCCASSION, without incident, in my opinion, but, let me be clear, she DOESN"T have to. No one is looking to take away your bras. Relax.

Alonzo John Blitz
08-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Impressions of people who go braless

I'm sorry, I don't do impressions.

Fish
08-01-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm surprised to see there are more women responding with their opinions than men.

I might notice, I might not. There are certainly times when I notice bra lines, especially when a woman's got on something that hugs too tightly around her sides and has on something tight over it, but I don't often pay attention enough to notice their absence.

Either way, even if I notice, I'm more than willing to chalk it up to my own ignorance of women's clothing — this is an underwired top with padding, this is a strapless whatsitz, this woman has on a tank top that doesn't need a bra with it, that woman has some kind of bandeau or whatever. I'm the last person to stand up and point at the fashion offender and say "J'accuse! You have forgotten your essential foundation garment!"

If the woman is otherwise decently presentable, I figure she looks the way she wanted to look when she left the house that morning, so who am I to judge what she's got on?

ladybug
08-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I always wear a bra to work, but I'll go braless in a halter top on the weekends. Guess that makes me a tacky, low-class slut. :D

Yeah, I'd notice if a woman wasn't wearing a bra. I doubt that I'd care very much. However, if she were falling out of her top or her clothes were see-through, I'd probably wonder if she had a mirror at home.

BTW: For the sake of this discussion, does wearing a top with a built-in bra count as going braless?

Guinastasia
08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
It doesn't bother me, as long as it's not in an inappropriate venue (work, basically), and as long as it doesn't look gross. To me, not wearing a bra when you clearly need one is a fashion faux pas on the same level as wearing a miniskirt when you're legs are veiny. I'm not thinking "SLUT!!!", I'm thinking "Wow, doesn't she realize that's perhaps not her best possible look? Does she not own a mirror?"

Pretty much. Her choice, but I always think-wouldn't that be uncomfortable?

I don't wear bras to bed-that's about it. Otherwise, the bounce factor is rather uncomfortable. I like having that support. And properly fitted bras should NOT be uncomfortable, as already stated.

Fretful Porpentine
08-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Um, if us bra-haters are willing to believe the rest of you when you say you're uncomfortable without a bra, can y'all take our word for it that we're equally uncomfortable with one? I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with fit, some of us just do not like having any sort of garment there, particularly when it's ninety degrees outside. It's sweaty and itchy.

Cervaise
08-01-2006, 09:02 PM
"J'accuse! You have forgotten your essential foundation garment!""Sacre beub!"

MissGypsy
08-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Um, if us bra-haters are willing to believe the rest of you when you say you're uncomfortable without a bra, can y'all take our word for it that we're equally uncomfortable with one? I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with fit, some of us just do not like having any sort of garment there, particularly when it's ninety degrees outside. It's sweaty and itchy.

Amen to that.

Also, I’m surprised by how many think that the natural appearance of a part of a woman’s body is trashy, tacky, slutty, low-class, unappealing, or in some other way, inappropriate. Breasts and even nipples exist; they exist in many shapes and sizes. They feed babies, and they’re sexual playthings, too. They’re there for more than one reason.

I see no reason to harness a perfectly normal body part, merely for the sake of fashion or some concept of beauty. Sagging and stretch marks be damned; that’s gravity’s fault. (Or pregnancy, or weight gain, or weight loss, or aging…)

I think braless women look more natural, and more comfortable.

Rubystreak
08-01-2006, 11:46 PM

Some bras are very uncomfortable and itchy. I don't buy those. If your boobs are going to sweat anyway (which they are if they are of any size; it was 100 degrees here today), and they are going to lay flat against your torso, wouldn't it be moer comfortable to have something there to absorb the sweat rather than having it pool under there? That's the same reason why I wear shorts in this weather and not skirts-- that way, my thighs don't stick together and sweat more.

Really, there are so many different kinds of bras out there. They don't have to hurt or itch. If you don't want to wear one, that's cool, but saying it's because there are zero bras in the world that could be comfortable is like saying there are zero shirts in the world that are comfortable. It's a little hard to believe.

pendgwen
08-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Really, there are so many different kinds of bras out there. They don't have to hurt or itch. If you don't want to wear one, that's cool, but saying it's because there are zero bras in the world that could be comfortable is like saying there are zero shirts in the world that are comfortable. It's a little hard to believe.
I have a stupid number of bras for someone who is so anti-bra. It's because I keep searching for a comfortable one for those occasions when I have to wear one. I don't even know how many kinds of bra I have but out of the whole box there is exactly one that I would consider really comfortable. I bought it probably 10 years ago. I can't find another like it anywhere. It's now so worn that the fabric is transparent and tearing at the seams. I keep it in hopes of eventually having enough money to pay someone to replicate it. So I feel fully justified in claiming that I find bras as a general class of garment uncomfortable. Several people in this thread have asserted that if you just find a bra that fits it will be comfortable. I can assure you that this is not true for everyone.

Rubystreak
08-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Several people in this thread have asserted that if you just find a bra that fits it will be comfortable. I can assure you that this is not true for everyone.

I think that bras ARE, generally, an uncomfortable article of clothing. I'm not even disagreeing with that. But I have made it a point of finding ones that aren't awful and they actually make my life better. They do exist and the cost big $$$, unfortunately. Also, I'd even rather wear a slightly uncomfortable bra than sweat like a pig without one, so to each her own, I guess.

CanvasShoes
08-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Sand they are going to lay flat against your torso, wouldn't it be moer comfortable to have something there to absorb the sweat rather than having it pool under there?
Exactly! Not to mention, bras keep them from laying against the skin, that can cause some painful rashes when it's hot. I think those who think it's more comfortable without must mostly be of the small and perky variety. I could not STAND to have them swinging all about, and jiggling and all in the way.

Fretful Porpentine
08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
If your boobs are going to sweat anyway (which they are if they are of any size; it was 100 degrees here today), and they are going to lay flat against your torso, wouldn't it be moer comfortable to have something there to absorb the sweat rather than having it pool under there?
I think it's the "if they are going to lay flat against your torso" bit that is a false premise, as far as many of us small-to-medium-breasted types are concerned. Regardless of whether I'm wearing a bra or not, there isn't any flesh touching flesh, and therefore nowhere for sweat to pool.

I'm sure this is different for many women who are larger-breasted or just differently shaped, but that pretty much illustrates the point I'm trying to make -- not all women are designed the same way, and therefore they're not all going to be comfortable in the same garments.

Rubystreak
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I think it's the "if they are going to lay flat against your torso" bit that is a false premise, as far as many of us small-to-medium-breasted types are concerned. Regardless of whether I'm wearing a bra or not, there isn't any flesh touching flesh, and therefore nowhere for sweat to pool.

And I've already said that this is only true if if you have boobs of any real size. When you have C or larger cups, flesh is gonna touch flesh, even if they're perky for their size. And in this weather, sweat will happen and it's just very uncomfortable. I tend to wear sports bras when it's hot out b/c they absorb the sweat better.

Believe me, I envy you if you don't have to worry about this, not only the physical comfort, but the not having to spend lots of $$$ on bras.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.