PDA

View Full Version : Gags that you missed the first 20x seeing the episode(spoilers)

Incubus
09-20-2006, 12:57 AM
I am watching the episode of Futurama where Fry dies and they have a funeral for him. I've probably seen this episode twenty times. Among the mourners was one of the Amazonians (Fry give good snoo-snoo! *sob*) but also, a radiator, which gives off a little puff of steam.

Suddenly I made this connection. During the beauty pageant ep, Fry comments, "I just made out with that radiator woman from the radiator planet!" to which Leela dryly responds, "Fry, that was just a radiator". Kind of funny the radiator managed to show up for the funeral :)

DataZak
09-20-2006, 01:26 AM
"Sneed's Feed and Seed (formerly Chuck's)".

I knew there was a gag there somewhere. A sign in a Simpsons episode always has a gag. But for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. I was young and naive, I guess.

I think it was a Simpsons thread in this board that finally made me went :smack:

mobo85
09-20-2006, 01:49 AM
A Simpsons scene that was surprisingly too ribald even for Fox, this one only appeared in syndicated reruns and DVD, not the original airing: Santa's Little Helper and her new girfriend, She's The Fastest, are competing against each other in a dog race. A quick shot of all of the dogs circling the track. Cut to a close-up shot of She's The Fastest running with a determined look on her face. Zoom out to reveal Santa's Little Helper right next to her and above her.

It took me years to realize that not only was Santa's Little Helper above her, he was on top of her too, if you know what I mean.

mobo85
09-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Two dogs with long names tripped me up. Santa's Little Helper is the man, so it should read "and his girlfriend," of course.

madmonk28
09-20-2006, 03:04 AM
In arrested development a restaurant with a Sunday brunch is named Skip Church's and the Chinese restaraunt where all the Jewish lawyers eat dinner on Saturday night is called Miss Temple's one viewing it just clicked.

Hail Ants
09-20-2006, 05:08 AM
The very end of The Young Ones episode Bomb was a mystery to me for years. My brother finally figured it out:

It wasn't a bomb, it was a plane egg and a baby plane!

Hypno-Toad
09-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Not a TV show, but the same phenomenon:

In UHF, Stanley Spudowski is kidnapped. On of the kidnappers hears a knock on the door marked "Supplies." When he opens the door, Gedde Watanabe yells, "Suprise!" but with the japanese accent it comes out "Supplies!"

It was on the 10th or 11th viewing that I finally got that one.

Otto
09-20-2006, 08:32 AM
The very end of The Young Ones episode Bomb was a mystery to me for years. My brother finally figured it out:

It wasn't a bomb, it was a plane egg and a baby plane!
Picture my head, now picture a light bulb lighting up over it.

NurseCarmen
09-20-2006, 09:43 AM

I knew there was a gag there somewhere. A sign in a Simpsons episode always has a gag. But for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. I was young and naive, I guess.

I think it was a Simpsons thread in this board that finally made me went :smack:Could you helpo a young and naive person out?

DeVena
09-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Could you helpo a young and naive person out?

Replace the eeds in the sign with ucks. So "Sneed's Feed and Seed" becomes "Chuck's F*** and S***."

toadbriar
09-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Just had this one. Family Guy episode where Lois takes Meg to Spring Break, and Peter loses the house buying a boat. Phone rings, Chris hands the phone to Peter saying "it's Mom." Peter says, "Please be Somerset Maugham, please be Somerset Maugham."

Ike Witt
09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
In the Family Guy episode where Lois gets sent to jail there was something that took me a few viewings to get. Why the hell did a naked Peter fall down the stairs? When it finally dawned on me what was happening, I laughed for about 10 minutes.

Antigen
09-20-2006, 10:48 AM
In the movie Airplane!, there's a scene where this media guy asks if he can take a few pictures, and when told yes, he proceeds to take framed pictures off the walls.

I don't remember what else was going on in that scene to distract me, but I swear I did not see that happening until maybe the 4th time I saw the movie.

Weirddave
09-20-2006, 10:56 AM

Replace the eeds in the sign with ucks. So "Sneed's Feed and Seed" becomes "Chuck's F*** and S***."
Oh for God's sake people. FUCK AND SUCK. Just say it already, what are you, 12?

E. Thorp
09-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh for God's sake people. FUCK AND SUCK.I've never had a sig line before, but...

Excalibre
09-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Won't somebody please think of the children?!

Lightnin'
09-20-2006, 11:52 AM
One from Arrested Development took me over a year to get. In the very first episode, The Narrator introduces the family. He introduces George Michael, and then says, "... and his cousin, Mabye".

His cousin. Maybe.

Jeez. I can't believe it took me so long to catch that one.

BJMoose
09-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't think I got the line "Whoa, baby, I am not from Havana" in Blazing Saddles until the Clinton Administration.

Hint for the perplexed: think "cigar".

John DiFool
09-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Oh for God's sake people. F*CK AND S*CK. Just say it already, what are you, 12?

[Censored the naughty words a bit]

Logically I guess it makes no sense: a good joke is internally consistent AND funny;
the gag flows naturally from the premises-not the case here. Why would the other
two words change when the owner of the business changed? Wouldn't it have been
"Chuck's Feed and Seed?" I don't think a brothel would be likely to be redone into a
feed store either...

Shoeless
09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
The Seinfeld episode where Elaine's former Pendant Publishing boss (Mr Lippman) opens the muffin top shop. Her line "And it's not 'Top of the Muffin To You!'" went completely over my head several times until I remembered the episode where Elaine breaks up with her author boyfriend (Jake Jarmel) because he didn't use an exclamation point on the note he wrote her.

Morbo
09-20-2006, 01:24 PM
"Come on, Homer, Japan will be fun! You liked Rashomon."

"That's not the way I remember it."

DeVena
09-20-2006, 02:02 PM

Nope but I am posting from work. :D I've tried but there's no way I can justify swearing as business related. Well, not typing it anyway.

Push You Down
09-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't think I got the line "Whoa, baby, I am not from Havana" in Blazing Saddles until the Clinton Administration.

Hint for the perplexed: think "cigar".

And I thank you for providing the first reasonable explanation of that joke. Usually people give some long winded spiel about "Well in the pre-Castro days Havana was famous for live sex shows and remember in the Godfather when...." etc etc.

Sir Prize
09-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Just had this one. Family Guy episode where Lois takes Meg to Spring Break, and Peter loses the house buying a boat. Phone rings, Chris hands the phone to Peter saying "it's Mom." Peter says, "Please be Somerset Maugham, please be Somerset Maugham."
I saw that. I don't get it.

psiekier
09-20-2006, 02:58 PM
My two-year old son loves the Bruce Campbell/Kurt Russell movie Sky High. Each time we watch it (at least 20 times so far), I seem to catch on to something I missing the first N times before, such as: The dificult-to-decipher (due to background noise) loudspeaker announcement in the lunchroom that the cafeteria staff would like to ask the Sidekicks to stop ordering "Hero" sandwiches When Josie Stronghold offers Layla eggs and bacon for breakfast, Layla responds that her mother has the power to talk to animals and it turns out that the animals don't enjoy being eaten The Commander (Kurt Russell) and Jetstream (Kelly Preston) spring into action when they get a call on the special red cell phone. If you watch the deleted scene which shows their first battle together against Royal Pain, you'll see that even back in the 1980's Jetstream had a special red phone then too - the giant 1980's-era kind.

kaylasdad99
09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
I saw that. I don't get it.Really? Try this:

Say "Somerset Maugham" out loud. If you require a pronunciation guide, it goes like this:

Sum-mer-set Mom

Mahaloth
09-20-2006, 03:13 PM
On one of the last episodes of Arrested Development, their business gets promoted to "risky" by Jim Kramer on Mad Money.

The proceed to have a "Risky Business" party. When we cut to the preparations being made at the office, we first see a man being lead out on crutches. Michael looks over and sees the "Risky Business" sign half hung up with a ladder toppled over beneath it.

Clearly, the hurt man was putting up the sign when someone immitated Tom Cruises famous "slide out" from the movie Risky business. They had then hid the ladder, causing the man to fall and get hurt.

It took me several viewings to realize what the joke was.

Great show!

Morbo
09-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Just thought of another one. I was watching Cruel Intentions the other day for the second time, (nothing else on), and there's a scene where they visit an old folks home. One elderly woman is doting on a parrot in the corner of the shot.

It only lasts a few seconds, but if you pay closer attention you'll see that the woman is spraying water on the parrot, and every time she does, the parrot says "Stop it!"

I laughed out loud, the first time during the movie I did so. (When I was supposed to, anyway).

You can see it about the 8:18 mark here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfcAG6m3WoE&mode=related&search=).

interface2x
09-20-2006, 03:21 PM
In the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is buying a car from Puddy, they talk about the chimp Koko, to which Puddy says "That chimp's all right!"

In a later episode where George is nicknamed Koko the Monkey, Jerry finds out that there is a girl working at his cleaning service named Koko. His girlfriend who works there says "That girl's all right."

Robot Arm
09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
...which shows their first battle together against Royal Pain,...Please tell me his last name is Diaz.

Smeghead
09-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I just started rewatching Arrested Development to prepare for the imminent arrival of my season 3 DVDs, which should be any day now. In the very first episode, they show Maeby "rebelling" against her parents by wanting to compete in a beauty pageant, which comes up again a year or two later.

Also, when Tobias introduces himself at his first audition, he mentions that he worked in "psycholinguistics". This from the guy that is constantly accidentally hinting at his own suppressed homosexuality through poorly chosen words. Great stuff.

iamthewalrus(:3=
09-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Logically I guess it makes no sense: a good joke is internally consistent AND funny;
the gag flows naturally from the premises-not the case here. Why would the other
two words change when the owner of the business changed? Wouldn't it have been
"Chuck's Feed and Seed?" I don't think a brothel would be likely to be redone into a
feed store either...It's internally consistent as a joke about cartoon-land, where proprietors of shops are often shown to be particularly suited to their line of work, in this case in name.

E-Sabbath
09-20-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm going to disagree about Havana. 'Superman' of Havana was pretty famous.
http://www.theoldie.co.uk/feature04_greene.htmlhttp://www.theoldie.co.uk/feature04_greene.html
http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2006/08/16/james-brady-on-media-cx_jb_0817fidel.html

manx
09-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Really? Try this:

Say "Somerset Maugham" out loud. If you require a pronunciation guide, it goes like this:

Sum-mer-set Mom

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.

I have, for the past ten years, pronounced it 'Mor-gam'

Hopefully not out loud.

mobo85
09-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Not a TV show, but the same phenomenon:

In UHF, Stanley Spudowski is kidnapped. On of the kidnappers hears a knock on the door marked "Supplies." When he opens the door, Gedde Watanabe yells, "Suprise!" but with the japanese accent it comes out "Supplies!"

It was on the 10th or 11th viewing that I finally got that one.

STUPID! YOU SO STUPID!!

Sorry, but I figured someone was going to say it sooner or later. ;)

Bryan Ekers
09-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Kicking the bucket in It's a Mad, Mad Mad, Mad World. Took me decades to get that joke.

Lobelia Overhill
09-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Spitting Image on British TV waaaay back had a skit where the Grim Reaper enters a pub, he leans on the bar and sighs heavily
the barman says "hard day Mr Death?"
GR says "too right, I feel like Kieth Richards warmed up"

Me: <looks blank>

Many years later I was watching something on TV and up pops a clip of Keith Richards - I fell about laughing having now gotten the Spitting Image joke...

Oh and an aside - for years I thought Spinal Tap were a real HM group :o

Colophon
09-21-2006, 06:42 AM
Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.

I have, for the past ten years, pronounced it 'Mor-gam'

Hopefully not out loud.

Well actually you're both wrong. It's more like "Mawm", to rhyme with "lawn". Or "Vaughan", but certainly not "mom".

Sir Prize
09-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Really? Try this:

Sum-mer-set Mom
I get that Maugham sort of sounds like mom. Is that the whole joke? Is there something that I am missing in the Somerset pat of his name?

Bryan Ekers
09-21-2006, 11:01 AM
I get that Maugham sort of sounds like mom. Is that the whole joke? Is there something that I am missing in the Somerset pat of his name?
You're overthinking it; it was just a throwaway reference by Peter who really didn't want to talk to Lois at the point (he'd mortgaged the house while she was on vacation) and desperately hoped Chris meant someone else when he said "Mom's on the phone."

If there'd been a slightly more famous writer named Julius Maugham, Peter would've been using that name instead.

Marley23
09-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Well actually you're both wrong. It's more like "Mawm", to rhyme with "lawn". Or "Vaughan", but certainly not "mom".
Chris pronounces "Mom" in a normal way, but with Peter's New England accent, it does sound like "Mawm." So I guess it doesn't make sense, but on Family Guy, not much does.

In the Marx Brothers movie Animal Crackers, Groucho asks Chico to play a song about Montreal. Chico asks what the title is, and Groucho says, "I'm a Dreamer, Montreal." After some years and many viewings, my brother finally realized it's a pun on "I'm a Dreamer, Aren't We All?" I guess it helps that it's the worst joke in the scene - the jokes about the song about the Irish chiropodist ("My Fate is in Your Hands") and '"Somewhere My Love Lies Sleeping," with a male chorus' are much better.

Excalibre
09-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Well actually, lawn and mom have the same vowel in many North American dialects. It's called the "cot-caught merger".

Personally, I pronounce "Maugham" with two syllables, so it only resembles "mom" for me.

Hypno-Toad
09-21-2006, 12:04 PM
STUPID! YOU SO STUPID!!

Sorry, but I figured someone was going to say it sooner or later. ;)

I used to have that quote as the "critical stop" sound on my computer. My coworkers forced me to change it.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.