PDA

View Full Version : Burger King poster mocking McDonalds

Mangetout
09-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Adverts are arts, right? Sorry if this thread isn't in the right place...

I just saw an advertisement poster for some version or other of the BK whopper, with the caption 'Eat like a king, not a clown'. Obviously this is a potshot at Ronald McDonald, but I don't think I've ever noticed a BK advert that was so overtly anti a specific competitor; have I just lived a sheltered life?

kelly5078
09-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Probably also mocking Jack in the Crack, as well.

Revenant Threshold
09-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I've seen those as well; is there a name for adverts that specifically target competitors in this way?

Zakalwe
09-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I've seen those as well; is there a name for adverts that specifically target competitors in this way?
Attack ads? Seems to work for politicians...

GLWasteful
09-21-2006, 12:48 PM
. . .I don't think I've ever noticed a BK advert that was so overtly anti a specific competitor. . .
Actually, back in the mists of the eighties when the earth was still cooling and hair was larger, there was a poll done that indicated a preference for Pepsi products and Burger King food. BK subsequently came out with an ad wherein a Coke delivery guy and a clown that looked suspiciously like Ronald McWhozit commiserated with each other that their time had passed.

Thought it pretty gutsy at the time, myself. Although Pepsi products are vile, nasty and tooth-achingly sweet, I do prefer BK when I eat fast food.

Hampshire
09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
There's also that horrible Subway commercial going around that looks like it was filmed in the 70's. Jingle... "Don't want no greasy burger, I say down with clown today!"

HubZilla
09-21-2006, 01:57 PM
A few years ago, Jack in the Box had ads where they introduced their food to the following people:

Mr Vopper... at the home of the vopper
A guy named Jared at a subway station

Sternvogel
09-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Back in the early 1980's, there was a "gentleman's agreement" among makers of commercials. The advertiser's competitor would not be directly named -- instead, there'd be a reference to "Brand X", "the other popular low-priced spread", or whatever. Then Burger King decided to emphasize the size of its sandwiches relative to those of McDonald's, and came out with some commercials that featured a little girl asking "Do I look 20% smaller to you?" Mickey D's ended up suing not only BK and its agency, but the spokesmoppet as well.

And that little girl grew up to be an actress whose name should be familiar to anyone who calls himself or herself a Doper.

And now you know the rest of the story. (http://www.nndb.com/people/511/000023442/)

Page Two...

Cerowyn
09-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Probably also mocking Jack in the Crack, as well.
Just FYI, a lot of people living east of the Mississippi would have no idea what you're talking about, and that goes for the OP, who lives in the UK.

kelly5078
09-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Just FYI, a lot of people living east of the Mississippi would have no idea what you're talking about, and that goes for the OP, who lives in the UK.They are truly blessed.

But perhaps this (youtube.com/?v=jcuAIQyzB2s) will help.

mobo85
09-21-2006, 07:33 PM
There's also that horrible Subway commercial going around that looks like it was filmed in the 70's. Jingle... "Don't want no greasy burger, I say down with clown today!"

Wendy's also had a mascot called Smart Square a number of months ago who said he wasn't a king or a clown.

JKilez
09-21-2006, 07:52 PM
And that little girl grew up to be an actress whose name should be familiar to anyone who calls himself or herself a Doper.

And now you know the rest of the story. (http://www.nndb.com/people/511/000023442/)

Page Two...
And here is the commercial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JxndVz9ixS8) .

pizzabrat
09-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Adverts are arts, right? Sorry if this thread isn't in the right place...

I just saw an advertisement poster for some version or other of the BK whopper, with the caption 'Eat like a king, not a clown'. Obviously this is a potshot at Ronald McDonald, but I don't think I've ever noticed a BK advert that was so overtly anti a specific competitor; have I just lived a sheltered life?

Wow. Really, wow.

I say that because, during my childhood, Burger King ads were THE example of product attack ads. Their entire campaign seemed to be based on bashing McDonald's, and I hated them for that (I was a kid, and like every other kid, my heart belonged to McDonald's). Pepsi too, they were second place mudslingers, but Burger King was quite famous for McDonald's bashing.

MrFantsyPants
09-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow. Really, wow.

I say that because, during my childhood, Burger King ads were THE example of product attack ads. Their entire campaign seemed to be based on bashing McDonald's, and I hated them for that (I was a kid, and like every other kid, my heart belonged to McDonald's). Pepsi too, they were second place mudslingers, but Burger King was quite famous for McDonald's bashing.
Back somewhere around 1996, I stopped at a Burger King halfway between Pheonix and Tucson. On the wall near the entrance was a nice large poster of the King of Burger standing proudly over the broken and bloody body of a clown with big yellow feet.

I suspect it was just a poster done by one of the employees, not a national ad campaign, but I do remember it making quite an impression on my sheltered canadian psyche.

Mangetout
09-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Wow. Really, wow.

I say that because, during my childhood, Burger King ads were THE example of product attack ads.I'm not sure what timeframe you'd be talking about here, but McDonalds didn't really come here in force until the early 80s, and BK a little later, so I wouldn't have been exposed to any attack ads before that period.

Johnny L.A.
09-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Does anyone remember a 'Burger Wars' commercial in the '80s or '90s where there was actual combat going on between three competing chains? I only saw it once or twice, in SoCal.

Malacandra
09-22-2006, 07:46 AM
A few years ago, when Coke dicked around with the formula, Pepsi ran an ad which had a couple of toughies having a staring contest, with the caption "After 40 years*, the other guy just blinked".

*Or however long it was.

MizGrand
09-23-2006, 08:00 AM
When I worked for BK, now some OMG! 25 years ago, there was a promotion I remember clearly.

When approaching the counter to order, if the customer would say "The Whopper Beat the Big Mac" the customer got a buy-one-get-one-free Whopper. It was a huge campaign.

It was hilarous hearing all these people saying the same thing to get the free burger.

blinkingblinking
09-23-2006, 08:12 AM
According to wikipedia Jack in Box had a slogan
"Watch out Mac. Jack's Back!"

Quartz
09-23-2006, 08:28 AM
They've got a TV ad campaign going on in the U.K. right now. But this isn't a patch on the spat between Qualcast and Flymo, oh, about 15 years ago, perhaps more. It even got into the papers:"Lawnmower manufacturers sharpen blades" was the headline.

pizzabrat
09-23-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure what timeframe you'd be talking about here, but McDonalds didn't really come here in force until the early 80s, and BK a little later, so I wouldn't have been exposed to any attack ads before that period.

Late 80's to mid 90's.

slaphead
09-23-2006, 11:38 AM
On a somewhat related note, the Pepsi Max advertising team are having a bit of a field day with Coke Zero - at least in the advertising on the Tube. I can't find any examples online, but they all take the example of a letterbox format ad with a thermometer scale, labelled Zero to Max, and with a picture of something naff at the Zero end and something cool at the Max end, like as a moose and a fox. I love it when two big brands start trying to pick holes in each others advertising like that.

mobo85
09-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Of course, Pepsi has been referring to its rival by name for years, but I was suprised to discover that the Coca-Cola Company did the same thing in the 1980s. Because the powers that be weren't willing to give up on it, both the "new Coke"- referred to simply as Coke, not Coca-Cola- and the original- dubbed "Coca-Cola Classic"- were on the market at the same time for a number of years. Coke's advertising, originally with the "Max Headroom" character and later with other ideas, referred to Pepsi by name.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.