PDA

View Full Version : Mac Geeks: can't transfer Address Book

Beware of Doug
10-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I wanted to transfer my Address Book to the laptop for traveling, so I copied the appropriate folder (http://static.flickr.com/90/261539330_d9a1635892_o.jpg) or so I thought to a CD-R and transfered it to the laptop. (Pic links to a screenshot of the folder in question.)

Unfortunately, the Address Book app won't import it because it doesn't recognize it as vCard or LDIF format. (Note: I know nothing about these formats.)

Any idea what, if anything, I did wrong?

mduser63
10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
You need to copy that folder back into your Application Support directory which is where Address Book looks for it. Copy the whole folder into:

/Users/yourusername/Application Support/

It'll ask you if you want to replace what's already in there. Assuming you don't have anything in Address Book on your laptop that wasn't on the desktop (or wherever you copied it from), go ahead and overwrite it. Open Address Book back up, and you should see all your entries from the CD-R.

If for some reason you do have stuff already in Address Book that's not in the folder on the CD-R, make sure you export that as vCards first so that you can reimport it after you overwrite the old data folder with the new one.

I hope this makes sense.

Beware of Doug
10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Thank you very kindly, mduser63! It worked.

Only thing was, the path turned out to be:
/myusername/Library/Application Support.
(I'm running OSX 10.3.9, FWTW.)

mduser63
10-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Thank you very kindly, mduser63! It worked.

Only thing was, the path turned out to be:
/myusername/Library/Application Support.
(I'm running OSX 10.3.9, FWTW.)

Oops, I left Library out inadvertently. Glad you got it working.

TimeWinder
10-05-2006, 03:22 PM
You've already solved the problem, but let me add one more thing. If you subscribe to Apple's hideously expensive .Mac service, there's a little-known feature of it that lets you sync your address book to the net, and therefore access it from any Mac. I wouldn't buy .Mac for that, but if you've already got it...

Look for .Mac synchronization service on the .Mac web site.

Beware of Doug
10-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Oops, I left Library out inadvertently. Glad you got it working.Command-F is your [b]F[b]riend.

Cleophus
10-05-2006, 07:39 PM
You can also export all of your contacts as a single vCard by selecting all of the contacts, then choosing Export from the File menu. Then, import the file into the computer you are moving to.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.