PDA

View Full Version : BCS Question; Re: Sugar Bowl

armedmonkey
12-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Actually two parts.

If Florida ends up in the national championship after their win over Arkansas (and Michigan doesn't get a replay against Ohio State) is the Sugar Bowl still locked into a SEC team?

Second: Has any conference ever sent three teams to BCS bowls in the same year?

I'm thinking:
Fiesta: Florida
Rose: LSU
Sugar: Auburn?

Exapno Mapcase
12-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Part the second. There is a BCS rule that states that no more than two teams from a conference can participate in the BCS bowls. So somebody is out. (Just as one-loss Wisconsin is from the Big Ten.)

brianjedi
12-02-2006, 09:52 PM
If Florida is in the BCS Championship Game, the Sugar Bowl would then be obligated to pick the highest remaining BCS team when their selection comes up. Unfortunately, this means that LSU will likely be playing in the Rose Bowl instead of in a semi-home game as the SEC representative at the Sugar Bowl.

Kid_A
12-02-2006, 10:06 PM
No, the Sugar Bowl does not have to pick an SEC team.

Assuming a Florida-OSU national championship, here's how I think it'll play out.

Since the Rose Bowl loses OSU, they'll get first choice of the at-large teams. (I would guess it'd be Michigan so that they could keep it Pac-10 vs. Big Ten.)

Now the Sugar Bowl would get their choice of the at-large teams since they lost Florida. Also, this year the Sugar Bowl is first in filling the at-large slots so they get the third at-large choice. So the Sugar Bowl would be in the enviable position of getting to pick any matchup of BCS-eligible teams that doesn't include OSU, Florida, Michigan, USC, Wake Forest, Oklahoma (looks like it).

Following the Sugar Bowl, the Orange and then the Fiesta will fill their spots. I'll bet that the Fiesta Bowl ends up with Boise State vs. Oklahoma.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.