PDA

View Full Version : Bostonians - Recommend me some Chinese food?

tdn
01-17-2007, 03:37 PM
In a month Chinese New Year is coming up. I'm trying to organize a get-together for my coworkers. We all want to go to Chinatown, but I'm having a problem coming up with a restaurant. The only Chinese person in the office can't think of anything, and she's going to be in China anyway. All I could come up with is China Pearl, Peach Farm, and Ocean Wealth. I need to find a place that can do both the exotic (for me) and the mundane (for everyone else). A place that serves both pickled chicken feet and chop suey. In Chinatown is our first choice.

Any suggestions?

And since New Years lasts for 15 days, maybe we can do a Dopefest as well.

CalMeacham
01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
That's all you could come up with? Chinatown is practically wall to wall restaurants. I've eaten at several, but I don't remember any of the names -- I know them by where they are.

If you go on the North Shore, I recommend Peking Garden on Rte. 1 in Danvers and Peking Reading opn 129 )at 128) in Reading

Sonia Montdore
01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Two good ones in Boston are:

China Pearl (famous for its dim sum)
9 Tyler Street
Boston 617-542-2823

Jumbo Seafood (the seafood is great)
Hudson Street
Boston 617-542-2823

If you're willing to drive a short distance out of the city, I recommend three restaurants:

August Moon (wonderful noodle dishes)
957 Broadway
Revere, MA
617-289-6929

Kowloon Restaurant (Superb! Best Chinese food in New England! Good cocktails, too.)
Route One Northbound
Saugus, MA
(781) 233-0077

Mandarin Cuisine (good food and cocktails)
238 Highland Avenue
Needham, MA
(781) 455-8801

Bon appetit! (Wish I knew how to say that in Mandarin.)

tdn
01-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I know it's all Great Wall to Great Wall restaurants, but I've only eaten at a few. And I know they vary widely in quality, so I don't want to pick something blind.

Danvers and Reading are too far. Boston, Cambridge, and Newton are about as far as we can go.

tdn
01-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I love China Pearl, but have never had anything but the dim sum. Do you know what the evening food is like?

How's the chicken at Jumbo Seafood? Some people don't do fish.

CalMeacham
01-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Gotta disagree with Sonia about Kowloon -- we're unimpressed.

But if you are a little further south on Route One North there's an incredible Chinese Restaurant standing on a high, just where 99 meets Route 1. It used to be Weylu's. I forget the current name, but it'sd easily the m,ost impressive Chinese Restaurant in the Boston area. Huge, with plenty of parking, atop a hill. The interior is vast and rickly decorated, and the food's good too!

tdn
01-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Oh yeah, I remember Weylu's! A little expensive but good.

Uvula Donor
01-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Boston, Cambridge, and Newton are about as far as we can go.

I recommend Royal East, 292 Main St. in Cambridge, near MIT. (Hong Kong-style cooking; if you're looking for Hunan or Szechuan you might want to go somewhere else.)

CalMeacham
01-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Oh yeah, I remember Weylu's! A little expensive but good.

It's not Weylu's anymore -- all the Weylu's are gone. But that big Chinese Palace on the hill is still there, and the food's better now.

Sonia Montdore
01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
I know it's all Great Wall to Great Wall restaurants, but I've only eaten at a few. And I know they vary widely in quality, so I don't want to pick something blind.

Danvers and Reading are too far. Boston, Cambridge, and Newton are about as far as we can go.

Wasn't Danvers and Reading. It was Saugus, Revere and Needham on the Newton line. All are a short drive outside of Boston, which is why I recommended them.

I've never had anything but seafood at Jumbo, so I can't comment on the chicken.

I agree about the former Weylu's place, whatever it's called now. It's very good. I was going to list it but, like other posters here, I couldn't remember its new name. Maybe the Saugus Chamber of Commerce could tell you? http://www.sauguschamber.org/

I've eaten at Kowloon many, many times starting in the 1960s and most recently last month and never had a disappointing meal there.

Elysium
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I have to SERIOUSLY recommend the Wok N Roll in Cambridge, Porter Square. It looks like a tiny nothing place but it has amazing food, it's honestly the best, most fresh, never disappointing Chinese food ever. Plus, we have the same waiter every time and he is hilarious. He thanks you a million times. My fiancee and I go there often, it's "our" restaurant. Honestly, check it out.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.