PDA

View Full Version : Love on the Lam

lissener
01-21-2007, 01:37 PM
So I'm gonna put up a few "theme" displays in the video store. Gonna start with a display of "Love on the Lam" movies.

So far I have in mind:

Bonnie and Clyde
Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry
bout de souffle
Badlands
They Live by Night
Butterfly Kiss
The Living End
Gun Crazy
You Only Live Once
Natural Born Killers
Kalifornia

Any other suggestions?

And then, any other display suggestions? Working up lists for a Disease display and a Dystopia display, but hoping for other ideas as well.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Thelma and Louise should be up there.

Johnny L.A.
01-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Hal Briston: The Untold Story

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I really couldn't.

lissener
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Right.

Otto
01-21-2007, 01:59 PM
It Happened One Night (I think that fits based on what I've heard; haven't actually seen it)
Sylvia Scarlett
The Terminator

Equipoise
01-21-2007, 02:04 PM

Right, might as well add Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to the list.

lissener
01-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Right, might as well add Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to the list.
PERFECT! Thanks!

lissener
01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
It Happened One Night (I think that fits based on what I've heard; haven't actually seen it)
Sylvia Scarlett
The Terminator
Hmm. All boundary pushers, topic-wise, but all interesting suggestions. Mostly I was thinking of criminal couples, but these are very interesting.

silenus
01-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Smokey and the Bandit

The Chase

lissener
01-21-2007, 02:55 PM
The Getaway!

Miller
01-21-2007, 03:39 PM
True Romance
Ladyhawke

Wendell Wagner
01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
_Outlaw Blues_
_Thieves Like Us_

Otto
01-21-2007, 03:54 PM
How could I have forgotten In Cold Blood?

Wendell Wagner
01-21-2007, 04:05 PM
_Love and a 45_
_Kiss or Kill_

Incidentally, I've heard of this sort of films referred to as "Love on the Run" films. This is the only place online where I can find this term used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Ray

lissener
01-21-2007, 04:52 PM
_Love and a 45_
_Kiss or Kill_

Incidentally, I've heard of this sort of films referred to as "Love on the Run" films. This is the only place online where I can find this term used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Ray
Yes; you'll notice one of the first titles I mentioned is "They Live by Night," directed by Nicholas Ray, whose entry you've linked to above. I used images from that movie to design the display materials. Unfortunately the movie's not available . . .

Tangent
01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Grand Theft Auto starring Ron Howard

Starman

A Life Less Ordinary maybe?

lissener
01-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Lolita

Wendell Wagner
01-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Could you be more precise about the sort of films you want? The examples people are giving are all over the place. I presume that you want a film that's mostly about a couple running from the law. Apparently they must be in love, but they don't have to be a hetrosexual couple. Is that what you want, or do you want something more general?

lissener
01-21-2007, 10:44 PM
That's the basic theme; variations are OK. I've included Lolita and Butch Cassidy, almost as jokes. Almost; more as commentary on those movies than as jokes per se.

Here's the list I've gone with; changes will happen.

Bonnie and Clyde
Breathless
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Butterfly Kiss
The Chase
Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry
The Getaway
It Happened One Night
Kiss or Kill
The Living End
Lolita
Love and a 45
Natural Born Killers (yuck)
True Romance
You Only Live Once

(Thelma and Louise is missing; possibly stolen. Can't get a copy of They Live by Night. Thinking of adding Sullivan's Travels.

Wendell Wagner
01-21-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't think you're just allowing variations on the theme. I think that you're ignoring any possible definition for the genre. If you want a movie that comments on this genre although it's not part of it, try _Straight Time_. At the end, when you think that it's going to turn into a "Love on the Run" film, the guy drops the girl off at a diner and gives her money to get back home (where no one will know that she almost joined him on the lam). He tells her that he can't allow her to go with him, since he knows he'll get caught eventually.

lissener
01-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Dude, it's not a doctoral dissertation. It's a temporary cutesy display in a video rental store.

Interrobang!?
01-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Jonathan Demme's masterpiece Something Wild.

lissener
01-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Jonathan Demme's masterpiece Something Wild.
Good one! I love that movie but haven't seen it for years.

JoeSki
01-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Me, Myself, and Irene.

JoeSki
01-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Me, Myself, and Irene.

Poysyn
01-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Would you include "The Professional" on that list, or "The Replacement Killers"?

For sure - "Romeo Must Die", "No Mercy", "The Transporter", "The Bourne Identity", "The Big Hit", "Miami Blues", "Out of Sight"

That's all I can think of right now

Poysyn
01-22-2007, 09:45 AM
okay i lied...

"D.O.A.", "Kill Me Again", "Rush"

awldune
01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Wild at Heart.

Don't forget Badlands from the OP, which was left out of the second list for some reason.

The Chao Goes Mu
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Wisdom with Emilio Estevez and Demi Moore. (I believe Estevez wrote it)
Not great but not bad either. Moore is adorable in this flick.

Wendell Wagner
01-23-2007, 03:59 AM
If we can include threesomes, there's _Bandits_ and _The Doom Generation_, each of which is about two men and a woman on the run. In each the women is sleeping with both of the men. Some more "Love on the Run" films with hetrosexual couples are _Mad Love_ (1995), _Coast to Coast_, and _Joshua Tree_. Some of the movies mentioned so far don't fit into this category at all. _Thelma and Louise_? That's more like "Friendship on the Run." _The Professional_? That's (if anything) "Master/Student Relationship on the Run." _D.O.A._? Nobody's on the run there. _Rush_? Nobody's on the run there either. It seems to me that if you push the boundaries of this category beyond films with a couple (or threesome or whatever) in a romantic relationship who are on the run from the law, there would be far too many films to mention.

buns3000
01-23-2007, 04:12 AM
Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.