PDA

View Full Version : Farscape on DVD

beowulf573
06-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Is there a licensing or popularity issue with Farscape on DVD? My wife missed the show so I though we'd go through the series this summer.

But none of the local stores, Best Buy, etc, carry the series. Amazon says it's a 4-6 week wait for seaon 1 boxed set, and Netflix lists it but marks it as not available.

Is there's something unusual going on or is it just not that popular on DVD? I can buy Facts of Life but not Farscape, that's just wrong.

Chimera
06-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Is there a licensing or popularity issue with Farscape on DVD? My wife missed the show so I though we'd go through the series this summer.

But none of the local stores, Best Buy, etc, carry the series. Amazon says it's a 4-6 week wait for seaon 1 boxed set, and Netflix lists it but marks it as not available.

Is there's something unusual going on or is it just not that popular on DVD? I can buy Facts of Life but not Farscape, that's just wrong.

Wierd.

I own seasons 1-3 of the show, plus The Peacekeeper Wars movie. I'm only missing season 4 because of my current poverty situation.

The only thing that I can suggest is that places like Best Buy don't want to carry things that might sit on the shelf for a year due to spotty demand. That doesn't explain Amazon though.

Czarcasm
06-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Have you tried half.com? (http://product.half.ebay.com/Farscape-Season-4-Box-Set_W0QQprZ31001963QQtgZinfo)

jackdavinci
06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Might just be running low on the original stock. Maybe they aren't printing more because they are planning a new set or format.

I was thinking about buying it myself, and it seemed like there were a lot of comments about the two different versions available. One version was much more expensive, and might have also been the lower quality. In any case I would read a lot of review before deciding which version to buy.

John DiFool
06-03-2007, 11:51 PM
They're already on their second edition-I got the first edition.

cbawlmer
06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
The show's not going away, but it's in a transitional period at the moment. ADV, the company that originally had the rights to release Farscape on DVD, is now losing the rights. The first season DVDs are not being produced anymore, and are nearly impossible to find. Seasons 2-4 and The Peacekeeper Wars are still available, but will be phased out as the rights to each season expire.

However, Sony has acquired the rights and likely will release their own sets of DVDs. There isn't any word on when this will happen, or what kinds of special features the DVDs will include. ADV's most recent Farscape DVDs were the Starburst editions, which were much cheaper than the original release and had a lot more features (cast commentaries, espcially). One hopes that Sony will acquire the rights to these extras as well. The best way to encourage this is to write a letter to Sony. I just happen to have the address, because I sent my own letter on Friday:

Customer Relations
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
10202 W. Washington Boulevard
Culver City, CA 90232

I just got into Farscape, went nuts for it, and have devoted most of the last two months to watching the DVDs through Netflix (I'm halfway through Season 3 now). Now I've had a crash course in The History of Farscape on DVD. I keep wanting to start a "Yay, Farscape!" thread, but I don't want to get spoiled before I finish watching the show. It's been such a pleasure to be blindsided by the craziness time after time; I would hate to know what was coming.

beowulf573
06-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Cool, thanks for the replies. I had thought it was some sort of transition issue, it's just a little frustrating that it happened right now!

Dr. Who should be starting up in the States soon, maybe that will carry us over until Galactica returns.

Eddie

Like Fry
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I remember last summer Amazon.com started carrying the Starburst edition, which was a lot cheaper. I seem to remember these all being available at least as of last fall.

This edition was definately worth it, lots of good info at about half the price. Im still working through getting my GF to watch it all.

Fry

cbawlmer
06-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Yes, the Starburst editions were quite a bit cheaper than the original sets. The original releases had 10 discs per season (two episodes per disc for the most part), and cost $100 or more. The Starbursts divide each season into three sections, and each section retails for $24.95. You can usually find them for $16-20.

The first season only recently went out of print. A few online retailers claim to have it backordered, so they may have a source for the last few sets available.

Like Fry
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Thats a shame its already out of print again. This series needs to be put out there more. Im still waiting for the "something more" (not the Peacekeeper wars) that Henson talked about, though I doubt it will come to pass with this much time having gone by.

Fry

sciguy
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Coincidentally enough, I've got seasons 1 and 2 (the original ADV box sets, not the Starburst release) sitting in a box of stuff I've been accumulating for a family garage sale. If you're interested, maybe we can work something out. As an off-the-cuff judgement, maybe $100 for both (and that'll include the shipping costs)? My email's in my profile if you want to make a deal.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.