PDA

View Full Version : I finally looked up "minced oath"

BarnOwl
08-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I would put the answer in a spoiler but. blimey, I've forgotten how.

Anyway, according http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minced_oath...

A minced oath, also known as a pseudo-profanity, is an expression based on a profanity which has been altered to reduce or remove the disagreeable or objectionable characteristics of the original expression; for example, "gosh" used instead of "God," "darn" instead of "damn" and "heck" instead of "hell". Nearly all profanities have minced variants; the words that are most taboo give rise to the most.

In case you didn't know, "blimey" is a minced oath for "God blind me."

Beware of Doug
08-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd have assumed it was a typo for "minced oats."

fishbicycle
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
In case you didn't know, "blimey" is a minced oath for "God blind me."Is that what it means! I've always wondered. Do you have any idea what the "cor" on the front of that expression means?

ETA: Never mind, I answered my own question. It must be a minced oath for "god."

BarnOwl
08-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Is that what it means! I've always wondered. Do you have any idea what the "cor" on the front of that expression means?

ETA: Never mind, I answered my own question. It must be a minced oath for "god."

That's right. :)

I should have been more specific with "Cor blimey."

Google on minced oath and you'll find that "cor" is a minced oath for just what you said.

CalMeacham
08-01-2007, 10:18 AM
The one I don't understand is the Utah-specific "Oh my heck!"

"Heck" is used in placed og "hell", as in "what the heck?" or "Where the heck is that?"

But if you substitute "hell" for "heck" in this expression you get "Oh my hell!", which NOBODY says, in any context. It's not obscene or blasphemous, it's nonsensical. Nobody's ever been able to tell me wh it's used, or where it comes from.

(Knowing the context doesn't help one DARN bit. It's used as an expression of surprise or wonder.)

Malacandra
08-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Zounds! :eek:

seosamh
08-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Gadzooks, even.

Moriarty
08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Oh, Fiddlesticks!

Frick! Friggin'!

And, of course, H-E-Double Hockey Sticks!

Hockey Monkey
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I like Spongebob's:

Barnacles!
Fish Sticks!
Tartar Sauce!
:::dolphin noises:::

Mindfield
08-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Damn. I thought this was going to be about a new spice I could try out in a saucy tart.

Oh well. I might as well add that "bloody" (as I understand it) is a mincing of "By Our Lady" (referring to the Queen).

I think there are quite a few born of Cockney Rhyming Slang, too, though I can't think of any right now.

CalMeacham
08-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh well. I might as well add that "bloody" (as I understand it) is a mincing of "By Our Lady" (referring to the Queen).

Although this is a common interpretation (but with "Our Lady" being the Virgin Mary, usually), it's by no means certain. ashley Montague examined this expressioon in one of his books, giving a dozen or so supposed explanations for its origin, and came to the conclusion that none of them was compelling.

And "By Our Lady' Doesn't make much sense in the way the word is normally used, as in "bloody idiot".

"By Our ady Idiot"??? Nahhhh.

Mtgman
08-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Out of all of the English words which begin with the letter F, FUCK is the only word referred to as the "F" word, it's the one magical word.

As a transitive verb, John FRICK-ed Shirley.
As an intransitive verb, Shirley FSCKS.
It's meaning's not always sexual;
it can be used as an adjective, such as
John's doing all the FUDGING work.
As part of an adverb,
Shirley talks too FACK-ing much.
As an adverb enhancing an adjective,
Shirley is FECK-ing beautiful.
As a noun, I don't give a FOCK.
As part of a word abso-FREAKING-lutely,
or in-FARKING-credible.
And, as almost every word in the sentence,
FRAG the FRIGGING PHUCK-ers.

With apologies to George Carlin.

Enjoy,
Steven

Malacandra
08-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Although this is a common interpretation (but with "Our Lady" being the Virgin Mary, usually), it's by no means certain. ashley Montague examined this expressioon in one of his books, giving a dozen or so supposed explanations for its origin, and came to the conclusion that none of them was compelling.

And "By Our Lady' Doesn't make much sense in the way the word is normally used, as in "bloody idiot".

"By Our ady Idiot"??? Nahhhh.

You are a (by Our Lady!) idiot.

I suppose the verb "to mince" in this connection is more commonly used negatively, as in "he's not one to mince words".

Scissorjack
08-02-2007, 07:20 AM
As part of a word abso-FREAKING-lutely

A linguistic phenomenon known as infixing, where a particle or word is placed within a word - following consistent structural patterns: you can say "abso-fucking-lutely", but not "ab-fucking-solutely" - rather then as a prefix or suffix: if Ashley Montague is to be believed {his academic study of profanity, The Anatomy Of Swearing, is indispensable} it's unique in the history of Indo-European languages, and is only to be found in a few Native American tongues. Un-fuckin'-believable.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
You all swear like G-rated Sailors.

:p :D

Civil Guy
08-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Fudgesicle! You doggone sunufaguns have mucked up this thread all to heck. Situation normal, all fouled up! Jimminy Christmas!

Khadaji
08-03-2007, 06:55 AM
I only know a few brits, but I have never heard one of them say blimey. Is it used anywhere anymore?

Khampelf
08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Cheese and Rice! Got Damp! Got all Muddy, on the Beach!.

Mince em finer than that. :)

BarnOwl
08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I only know a few brits, but I have never heard one of them say blimey. Is it used anywhere anymore?

Your friends must be toffs. :)

gigi
08-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Jeezum Crow!

I love the Orbit commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOwQ9XASxU8) (you tube) where they can't bring themselves to dirty their mouths. Excellent substitutions.

Elendil's Heir
02-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Bumped.

Here are ten good ol' minced oaths that deserve another lease on life: http://mentalfloss.com/article/49652/10-old-fashioned-swears-spice-your-cussin

quiltguy
02-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Jiminy Cricket that was interesting.

Oh yeah, cheese and crackers too.

diggerwam
02-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Dag Nab It

Prof. Pepperwinkle
02-13-2016, 12:45 PM
To quote Walt Kelly: "Gosh a mickle, dickle pickle, dog my cats and Rowrbazzle!"

si_blakely
02-14-2016, 01:16 PM
I think there are quite a few born of Cockney Rhyming Slang, too, though I can't think of any right now.
I just saw a tweet yesterday suggesting that "James Blunt" had happily yielded his personal rhyming slang to the current UK Minister for Health "Jeremy Hunt", who has proved repeatedly that he utterly deserves ownership of the epithet.

A number of newsreaders have made the obvious verbal slip live on air.

Mangetout
02-14-2016, 03:46 PM

I do occasionnaly, and not ironically or anything.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.