PDA

View Full Version : Do The Monkey

Johnny L.A.
08-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Okay, I give up. How do you do The Monkey? And The Jerk and The Swim? And those other old dances from the 'Dance Craze' era?

I thought The Monkey was basically the one where you move your fists up and down in front of you, but a coworker wondered if that was The Jerk. So I looked on YouTube to see if I could find The Monkey. I found a video with a couple of guys diong moves, but they did the Pulp Fiction looking-through-two-fingers move and the holding-the-nose-and-pretending-to-drown move so I wondered if they knew what they were doing.

Dolores Reborn
08-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Holding the nose and going down is The Swim. The Monkey is like you said, arms up and down (in time) in front of you. The Jerk is something like a hitchikers' thumb over the shoulder as you jerk your body.

I'm barely old enough to remember these, I swear... ;)

Johnny L.A.
08-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I actually remember doing The Twist at an O-Club when I was three, but I looked it up anyway:
"It's like putting out a cigarette with both feet, and wiping your bottom with a towel, to the beat of the music."
When I read 'wiping your bottom with a towel', I actually got the image of that butt-flossing thing some people do with towels.

Horatio Hellpop
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
So this thread isn't about Portnoy's Complaint...?

WhoHasAngeredTheVolcanoGod
08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Courtesy of the Blues Brothers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdqFPIWwFjg

Dolores Reborn
08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Awesome! You made me grin! I love that movie...

Gadarene
08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I can do the Frug. I can do the Robocop. I can do the Freddie. I cannot do the Smurf.

How does one do the Frug, the Robocop, the Freddie, and the Smurf?

Huvudtvätt
11-12-2012, 08:56 AM
I was going to start a new thread but we might as well continue with this one.
So far the Jerk, the Twist, the Swim and the Monkey has been covered. But how do you do:

the watusi
the skate
the twine
the mashed potato
the boo-ga-loo
the shing-a-ling
the duck
the philly dog

?

Sigmagirl
11-12-2012, 09:09 AM
The Mashed Potato (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGPpPUML94) is practically impossible for me. You have to move your ankles sideways. My ankles don't go like that.
I want to learn the shag.

Peanuthead
11-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Remember the Waddle? The Limbo? The Hully Gully?

Sahirrnee
11-12-2012, 09:36 AM
The Pony

anybody can do the Pony.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.