PDA

View Full Version : Cover songs without gender changes

Wee Bairn
12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Two examples that come to mind are Sly Stone's druggy but touching cover of "Que Sera Sera" where he sings "when I was just a little girl..." (perhaps he wasnt aware of what he was singing :) ) and Suzi Quatro's cover of "All Shook Up", which may have caused a stir if it had hit in the US, what with a girl singing "She touches my hand and what a thrill I got/Her lips are like a volcano that's hot/I'm proud to say that she's my buttercup..."- any other good examples?

Annie-Xmas
12-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Of all the men who have recorded "Memory," Michael Crawford is the only one I've heard that sings "I remember the old days/I was beautiful then." All others sing "it was beautiful then" or "life was beautiful then."

Hazle Weatherfield
12-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Did Joan Jett change the lyrics of "Crimson and Clover?" I can't recall...

Thudlow Boink
12-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Two examples that come to mind are Sly Stone's druggy but touching cover of "Que Sera Sera" where he sings "when I was just a little girl..."Ned Flanders also sings it that way. :)

Ephemera
12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Jack White begs Jolene not to take his man in the song of the same name.

Great song, too. Much better than the Parton original.

Otto
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Rufus Wainwright covered the entire "Judy at Carnegie Hall" show live in concert. I haven't heard his version but I would be willing to bet that he didn't make any sex-based lyrics changes to songs like "The Trolley Song" and "The Man That Got Away," nor to "Me and My Gal."

IvoryTowerDenizen
12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Van Morrison (from Irish Heartbeat) sings "I'll Tell Me Ma" in the voice of a young flirtatious Irish girl....

twickster
12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Bryan Ferry did a couple of albums of oldies covers, including "It's My Party (and I'll Cry If I Want To)."

Wee Bairn
12-06-2007, 02:08 PM

I don't recall either, but she didn't change them for her version of Little Drummer Boy- my guess would be no, since she's known for liking the ladies.

Havik
12-06-2007, 02:10 PM
At work, we've started with the Christmas music. I really, really hate that song "Santa Baby" sung by a girl, but there's also one we play where there's a dude singing it. There's a long running debate at work as to who sings it. My vote is on Steven Tyler from Aerosmith... Kind of not surprising, really. :rolleyes:

Miller
12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
On The Pogues' album If I Should Fall from Grace with God, Cait O'Riordan sang "I'm a Man You Don't Meet Everyday."

Lisa Gerard of Dead Can Dance didn't bother to change the gender of her "true love" when she sang "The Wind that Shakes the Barley."

And there's no end of renditions of Danny Boy being sung by men, despite it being written from the viewpoint of a woman waiting for her man to return from the wars.

Lisa-go-Blind
12-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Cyndi Lauper's version of "When You Were Mine" (originally by Prince) doesn't change the gender, so you get an interesting take on lines like "I used to let you wear all of my clothes" and "I know that you're going with another guy."

Jophiel
12-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Holly Cole covers "Jersey Girl", informing us that she doesn't want the whores on 8th Avenue and that, once she gets her baby, she's taking her on all the carnival rides.

There's other covers where she also doesn't change the genders but that was my first thought.

RealityChuck
12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Joan Baez's version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." It starts out as "Virgil Cane is the name" and mentioned "Back with my wife in Tennessee."

Ludovic
12-06-2007, 02:59 PM
At work, we've started with the Christmas music. I really, really hate that song "Santa Baby" sung by a girl, but there's also one we play where there's a dude singing it. There's a long running debate at work as to who sings it. My vote is on Steven Tyler from Aerosmith... Kind of not surprising, really. :rolleyes:Dude, sounds like a lady!

thelurkinghorror
12-06-2007, 03:31 PM
On The Pogues' album If I Should Fall from Grace with God, Cait O'Riordan sang "I'm a Man You Don't Meet Everyday."from Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash

Didn't Bob Dylan do House of the Rising Sun without lyrics changes, unlike the Animals?

Otto
12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
At work, we've started with the Christmas music. I really, really hate that song "Santa Baby" sung by a girl, but there's also one we play where there's a dude singing it. There's a long running debate at work as to who sings it. My vote is on Steven Tyler from Aerosmith... Kind of not surprising, really.
Ru Paul also does a cover of "Santa Baby" but in his female persona so not really sure how to score that one. He also covers "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and does swap it to have Daddy kiss Santa.

Miller
12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
from Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash

:smack:

jayjay
12-06-2007, 04:00 PM
At work, we've started with the Christmas music. I really, really hate that song "Santa Baby" sung by a girl, but there's also one we play where there's a dude singing it. There's a long running debate at work as to who sings it. My vote is on Steven Tyler from Aerosmith... Kind of not surprising, really. :rolleyes:

Both Everclear and a guy named Chris Mitchell (who I've never heard of) have recorded the song.

burundi
12-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Mary Chapin Carpenter does a cover of Tom Waits' "Downtown Train" without changing any of the lyrics. I like both versions a lot, and it's very interesting how the feel of the song changes when it's sung by a woman instead of man.

An Gadaí
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I'll Tell Me Ma was mentioned above, this song like a lullabye or nursery rhyme and is sung by men/women/girls/boys in Ireland. Irish traditional songs are often done this way. Some singers will change "I wish I wish I wish in vain, I wish I were a maid again" to "youth again" in Love is Pleasing but many don't.
The Sally Gardens is often sung by women without changing the gender of the lover.
The Lowlands Of Holland, sung from a war widow's perspective has been done many a time by men. There are countless others. I think it has a nice effect, sometimes lending a complexity to songs they might not otherwise have and also adds even more homoeroticism to Irish balladry.

pprgrl
12-06-2007, 06:01 PM
The Butchies did a cover of "Your Love," originally by Outfield, without changing the gender. Of course that was intentional, but it's still vastly superior to the original.

Rubystreak
12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Tori Amos covers the Stones' "Angie" without changing the genders, obviously. You really couldn't.

Don Draper
12-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Patti Smith does a great cover version of Van Morrison's "Gloria', which doesn't specifically mention the gender of the singer, but is obviously sung at the POV of someone who's aroused by a female.

Valgard
12-06-2007, 06:33 PM

I think she did but I'll check when I get home. She definitely did not on her cover of Sweet's "AC/DC" (JJ&TB video featuring Carmen Electra, yum).

She also didn't on her cover of "Do You Wanna Touch Me" by Gary Glitter. There's only one line that identifies the singer by gender ("I'm a natural man, doin' all I can") and that's unchanged.

Freudian Slit
12-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Sixpence None the Richer didn't change "There She Goes" to "There *he* Goes" when they covered the song by the La's.

John T. Conklin
12-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Kate Bush covered Rocket Man for "Two Rooms: Celebrating the songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin" without gender bending. "I miss the earth so much, I miss my wife..."

vetbridge
12-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Stand By Your Man: doesn't Lyle Lovett do a cover?

tremorviolet
12-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I used to have this great CD that was all old 30s and 40s standards (which were tradionally sung by women) sung by men without pronoun changes. It was marketed as a gay CD but I think most of the recordings were because it was illegal to change the lyrics lyrics without the songwriters permission. (I do not have a cite for this tho') I wish I could find it again, it was really interesting.

Spoons
12-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Stand By Your Man: doesn't Lyle Lovett do a cover?Dunno about Lyle Lovett, but the Blues Brothers sure did!

dangermom
12-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Erasure did a cover of "River Deep, Mountain High" that begins, When I was a little girl I had a rag doll...

jayjay
12-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Erasure did a cover of "River Deep, Mountain High" that begins, When I was a little girl I had a rag doll...

It's Andy Bell so I'm not even sure it counts...

Kidding! Kidding!

Roderick Femm
12-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Rufus Wainwright covered the entire "Judy at Carnegie Hall" show live in concert. I haven't heard his version but I would be willing to bet that he didn't make any sex-based lyrics changes to songs like "The Trolley Song" and "The Man That Got Away," nor to "Me and My Gal."
Well, "For Me and My Gal" lyrics are from a man's point of view, so it was actually Judy who sang it "off gender". In the movie, she was (mostly) harmonizing to Gene Kelly's lead, if I recall correctly...

And there's no end of renditions of Danny Boy being sung by men, despite it being written from the viewpoint of a woman waiting for her man to return from the wars. I don't think this one is particularly gender specific. I always thought of it as a father's sentiments as his son goes off to war or something. In fact I can't remember hearing it sung by a woman.

Sorry I don't have any to add myself. At the gay piano bars I used to hang out in, of course, it was de rigeur for some guy to sing "The Man I Love" or "He Was Too Good To Me" (with the irresistible line "I was a queen to him, who's gonna make me gay now"). I understand that the SF Gay Men's Chorus has been known to sing these kinds of songs as well.

Roddy

Miller
12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't think this one is particularly gender specific. I always thought of it as a father's sentiments as his son goes off to war or something. In fact I can't remember hearing it sung by a woman.

Nope. The author intended it to be sung by a woman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Boy), and even had a version called "Eily Dear," for male vocalists.

Crafter_Man
12-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Joni Mitchell.

I was a free man in Paris I felt unfettered and alive...

KneadToKnow
12-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Has anyone else ever wanted to hear a female cover of "A Boy Named Sue"?

Spoons
12-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Joni Mitchell.

I was a free man in Paris I felt unfettered and alive...I don't think Joni's version was a cover--I think she wrote and recorded it originally. You're right that with those lyrics, it's a little odd for a woman to write and sing though.

Labdad
12-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't think Joni's version was a cover--I think she wrote and recorded it originally. You're right that with those lyrics, it's a little odd for a woman to write and sing though.

The song was about David Geffen, and the lyrics recount a conversation he was having with her.

The opening line of the song, "The way I see it," is Geffen talking to her, so the "I" throught the song is Geffen.

Wee Bairn
12-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Kidding! Kidding!

:p

Crafter_Man
12-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't think Joni's version was a cover--I think she wrote and recorded it originally. You're right that with those lyrics, it's a little odd for a woman to write and sing though.
Oops, you're right. :smack:

According to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Man_in_Paris) page,

It is about music agent/promoter David Geffen, a close friend in the early 1970s and a trip they made to Paris...
I guess she wrote the lyrics as if Mr. Geffen was the person speaking.

--------------------

Oops again, I see that Labdad beat me to it.

I need to go to bed. :p

burundi
12-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by vetbridge
Stand By Your Man: doesn't Lyle Lovett do a cover?
Yup, ol' Lyle does a cover. It works surprisingly well.

RealityChuck
12-06-2007, 10:19 PM
But "Stand by Your Man" is not really gender specific -- the words work fine if sung by a man. In either case, the singer is giving advice to women.

Ranchoth
12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
I've heard a few versions of the old ballad Johnny has Gone for a Soldier sung by men, with no changes (and unless you were making it a song about Xena, pronoun changes would raise more problems than they fixed).

Marlene Dietrich sang a few songs, even romantic ones, with no pronoun changes, but that isn't really too freakin surprising, is it?

Valgard
12-07-2007, 01:28 AM

Listening to it right now, she does not alter the genders. FWIW JJ doesn't comment about her sexuality - she says you can read what you want into her songs and so she doesn't need to talk about it in interviews.

Heck, "I Love Rock And Roll" is about picking up a young guy in a bar :-D

ShakWave
12-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Many of the Indian/ Pakistani folk songs in which the lyrics refer to the singer as female are sung by men, who do not change the gender in the lyrics at all. Interestingly, most of these songs are traditional Sufi songs.

missred
12-07-2007, 04:27 AM
I'll Tell Me Ma was mentioned above, this song like a lullabye or nursery rhyme and is sung by men/women/girls/boys in Ireland. Irish traditional songs are often done this way. Some singers will change "I wish I wish I wish in vain, I wish I were a maid again" to "youth again" in Love is Pleasing but many don't.
The Sally Gardens is often sung by women without changing the gender of the lover.
The Lowlands Of Holland, sung from a war widow's perspective has been done many a time by men. There are countless others. I think it has a nice effect, sometimes lending a complexity to songs they might not otherwise have and also adds even more homoeroticism to Irish balladry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another one in this vein is Old Maid in the Garrett as performed by the Clancy Brothers with or without Tommy Makem.

Malacandra
12-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Kate Bush did a cover of Rocket Man on an album of Elton John covers. IMO it stank.

DrCube
12-07-2007, 04:59 AM
Didn't Bob Dylan do House of the Rising Sun without lyrics changes, unlike the Animals?
Yes, he sang it from a female perspective, but I thought he did change the lyrics. The only earlier version I've heard was by Woody Guthrie and sung from the perspective of a man, a la The Animals.

JKellyMap
12-07-2007, 07:37 AM
I guess fishbicycle is offline, because no one has mentioned the Beatles' "Boys", sung by Ringo.

Also, I thought that the woman in the Family Stone sang "Que Sera Sera" (with Sly just helping out on the chorus, which has gender-neutral lyrics.)

Kamino Neko
12-07-2007, 08:06 AM
I guess fishbicycle is offline, because no one has mentioned the Beatles' "Boys", sung by Ringo.

Ah, but they DID change the lyrics - just not all of them.

The second verse goes, in their version, 'My girl says/when I kiss her lips/gets a thrill through her fingertips'...they left the chorus ('Well, I talk about boys...'), which, if you bother interpreting the lyrics makes for an interesting interpretation.

Annie-Xmas
12-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Cher did "You Better Sit Down Kids" with the original lyrics--Your mother is leaving, but I'm going away.

I guess Chastity had two mommies.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Your mother is leaving, but I'm going away.

I guess Chastity had two mommies.
And they're both deserting the kid? Harsh!

Neidhart
12-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Rudy Vallee recorded "There Is a Tavern in the Town." (http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiTAVTOWN;ttTAVTOWN.html)

Although he does crack up laughing partway through.

Annie-Xmas
12-07-2007, 08:30 AM
:smack: Your mother is staying!

I hope that coffee is finished brewing, cause obviously I really need a cup.

Coil
12-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Jack White begs Jolene not to take his man in the song of the same name.

Great song, too. Much better than the Parton original.
So does Andrew Eldritch of The Sisters of Mercy in his cover of Jolene. It too is a great cover.

Mr Eldritch has also covered Gimme Gimme (a man after midnight ...) by ABBA at past concerts.

interface2x
12-07-2007, 08:46 AM

Kidding! Kidding! Along those same lines, also along the lines of Coil's post, Erasure has performed and recorded a cover of ABBA's "Gimme Gimme Gimme", which could go either way since Andy Bell would be interested in a "man after midnight".

Also in their cover of ABBA's "Lay All Your Love on Me", he talks about his situation by saying "A grown-up woman should never fall so easily".

vetbridge
12-07-2007, 09:37 AM
But "Stand by Your Man" is not really gender specific -- the words work fine if sung by a man. In either case, the singer is giving advice to women.
Agreed. It is hard not to hear Tammy Wynette's voice though. Also, hearing a guy say:
And if you love him
Oh be proud of him
'Cause after all he's just a man
somehow seems wrong. ;)

jayjay
12-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Along those same lines, also along the lines of Coil's post, Erasure has performed and recorded a cover of ABBA's "Gimme Gimme Gimme", which could go either way since Andy Bell would be interested in a "man after midnight".

Also in their cover of ABBA's "Lay All Your Love on Me", he talks about his situation by saying "A grown-up woman should never fall so easily".

To be fair, Abba-esque was so absolutely gay that it should have come with packs of glitter. Hell, Andy actually got Vince to dress up as Agnetha for the videos...that's something of a coup...

Wee Bairn
12-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Also, I thought that the woman in the Family Stone sang "Que Sera Sera" (with Sly just helping out on the chorus, which has gender-neutral lyrics.)

You know, I've thought for 30 years that was Sly singing lead, but according to Wiki, you are correct. As an aside, Sly was supposedly good friends with Doris Day via her producer son Terry Melcher, and I read a long time ago that Sly and Doris were rumored to have had an affair...

Priam
12-07-2007, 11:18 AM
A band called Emery covered Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero" without changing a lyric. It's actually kinda hot...

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.