PDA

View Full Version : Pet insurance - what's good and what's a scam?

Phlosphr
12-24-2007, 07:42 AM
I have a fax machine in my home and I get spam faxes all the time. I recently got one for Pet Insurance - health insurance for pets. It looks good, and would actually save us a lot of money at the Vet's office but I am skeptical.

Are there reputable pet health insurance carriers? If so who are they and what are the usualy premiums?

brickbacon
12-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I have a fax machine in my home and I get spam faxes all the time. I recently got one for Pet Insurance - health insurance for pets. It looks good, and would actually save us a lot of money at the Vet's office but I am skeptical.

Are there reputable pet health insurance carriers? If so who are they and what are the usualy premiums?

I think VPI is the most well known one. I had it, but I got rid of it because they tend to exclude pretty basic things. It would be good for severe accidents, etc. But they generally don't cover regular visit types of things to my knowledge. YMMV

Spoons
12-24-2007, 11:20 AM
There are reputable pet health insurance companies. I've seen brochures for them while we've had our cats at the vet's, and the vet herself has said that she would be glad to treat animals covered by pet insurance.

But she has also said that unless you opt for the top-tier coverage, pet health insurance may not be worth it. Generally, there is much that the insurance doesn't cover (annual checkups and shots, for example) unless you are willing to pay about as much for the annual premiums as you would for the annual visit. It is true that even the low-end cheapest coverage will pay for a number of complicated and expensive procedures, but the chances of the average pet needing those are slim. Indeed, our vet said we probably wouldn't want it unless we had expensive show cats or breeding stock, which we don't.

My impression is that pet health insurance is not a scam, but is something that will necessitate some number-crunching to see if it is right for you. In our case, our cats are indoor cats, unlikely to encounter any outside dangers (for example, other animals, parasites, injuries from being hit by cars, etc.), and slightly less likely to encounter any inside ones (we've owned cats for years so our house is pretty much "cat-proof"), so given that our cats only see the vet once a year for their checkups and shots, pet health insurance isn't economically right for us. YMMV, of course.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.