PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Live MacHates Me

SharkB8
12-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Am I totally missing something?

I was suckered into switching over to the newer version, and now have no idea how to convert back to the classic version. The stories goes like this:

I type hotmail.com.

All sorts of different URLs flash for about 30 seconds until finally I get an MSNesque screen saying in red letters that Hotmail Live is a pain in the ass and that I can do nothing about it.

So, I now have MSN's homepage bookmarked. From there, I sign out. Then sign back in, and I'm able to access my mail, for maybe like, 3 times, then I get that same red letter message.

I've heard some things about MSN having their beef with Apple, and therefore must make it difficult for Mac people. I've had this email address since I was like 12 and am attached...is there hope for me yet (regarding this issue...I know in other realms I'm screwed)?

ZipperJJ
12-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Are you using an @hotmail.com address? How about using Gmail to check your Hotmail account (http://lifehacker.com/software/gmail/how-to-read-your-hotmail-from-gmail-241120.php)?

freckafree
12-26-2007, 08:02 PM
What OS and browser are you using? For a long time, I had problems with Safari not playing nicely with Hotmail, so I switched to Firefox. I don't remember which version of Safari it was.

SharkB8
12-26-2007, 08:17 PM
I am using @hotmail.com.

I'm using Panther? Tiger? Tiger I think. Whichever big cat came out before Leopard.I dig Safari, but I have noticed that things that don't work so hot in it are better in Firefox. I'll try that too. I prefer Safari and would hate to have to open Firefox just to check hotmail...but in all honesty, it's probably less steps to do it that way than to go through the motions of signing out and then back in.

Thanks guys!

Contrapuntal
12-26-2007, 08:24 PM
When you get your e-mail, got to your inbox, click on "options" in the upper right hand corner, scroll down to "more options", and you can switch back to classic view.

freckafree
12-26-2007, 08:41 PM
SharkBB, have you been updating your software regularly? If not, open your system preferences, go to "Software Update" and click on "Check now."

The most recent Tiger update includes Safari 3. Having the most current version of Safari might fix the problem you're having with Hotmail. Then you wouldn't have to install Firefox.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.