PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway 2/06--Ferocia Coutura

Green Bean
02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Loved loved loved this episode. At first I was "meh," but I think it REALLY showcased the strengths and weaknesses of each of the designers.

Indyellen
02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I thought it was awesome, and recorded it for my daughter who is a WWE fan, as well as a Project Runway fan.

However, I'm not terribly surprised that Ricky is the one who was auf'ed this week. I knew it would be either he or Sweet P., but I don't think she's much longer for the program.

It's nice to see Chris get some love, though. :)

LavenderBlue
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I was really happy about both the winner and loser on this episode. Goodbye and go away.

However I didn't think the loser deserved to go. The second to last place finisher did a much worse job IMO. Her dress simply lack pizzaz. She's lucky to still be in it.

Rubystreak
02-06-2008, 10:40 PM
This ep was awesome. Everyone's garment was so them, and of course Chris and Christian got the most love, since they are both into the costumey fierce thing. I think Chris' was the best-- that girl looked HOT. It was meticulous, detailed, and cohesive. Awesome. Christian's was good, but the pleather looked a little cheap to me. He did a good job, though, and he always cracks me up. "I'm so beast, you guys just don't know!"

"Ferocia Coutura." Snort.

Rami managed to drape a WWE wrestling outfit. Wow. Also, what's with his thing about making the boobs not match in every single outfit he makes? It's annoying. The color? Eh. I agreed with The Duchess that he should have gone for gingham, with a girly styling. That would have been sexy and different, with everyone going for stripper-wear.

Jillian's was again good, but not as good as all the kvelling from the judges. They do just love her. What was with those socks? They were distracting.

I didn't like Sweet P's outfit, but it was better than Ricky's, which was really was just an orange stripper bathing suit with a smock over it. Also, did you see the crotch on that thing? Horrible. Scary. Wrong. Bye, Ricky! Won't miss you at all.

kiz
02-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Chris so deserved to win. I don't care how "fierce" Christian's outfit was (and yes, it was fierce), but Chris's had a certain panache I can't put a finger on.

I knew the time had come for Ricky. At first I thought it would've been Sweet P, seeing as she got most of the interview time. I wasn't crazy about either of their outfits, nor was I crazy about Rami's. Hot pink *shudder*

This was by far the most entertaining episode. WWE Divas. Who would've guessed?

Green Bean
02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
However I didn't think the loser deserved to go. The second to last place finisher did a much worse job IMO. Her dress simply lack pizzaz. She's lucky to still be in it.I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. Ricky deserved to go because he didn't even fulfill the most fundamental objective of the task--design a costume for these wrestlers to wear in the ring. His bathing suit was NOT a wrestling costume at all. It's not even debatable.

Sweet P's was definitely blah, unoriginal, and didn't really fit her client's character. But at least it was a wrestling costume.

LavenderBlue
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. Ricky deserved to go because he didn't even fulfill the most fundamental objective of the task--design a costume for these wrestlers to wear in the ring. His bathing suit was NOT a wrestling costume at all. It's not even debatable.

Sweet P's was definitely blah, unoriginal, and didn't really fit her client's character. But at least it was a wrestling costume.

I'll have to plead guilty to know nothing almost nothing about wrestling costumes.

lol

I sure am glad he's gone because he was really unimpressive in this competition.

Billdo
02-06-2008, 11:10 PM
The big thing that threw me about this episode (and I guess I should put it into a spoiler box):

Sweet P survived despite totally getting the loser edit. When every 45 seconds they flashed to her talking about how she wanted to get to Bryant park or didn't want to lose despite being unhappy with her outfit, my heart gave a little sob that they were getting rid of my sweet, sweet Sweet P. I was shocked that when, in the end, they said Ricky was getting thrown auf.

Other than that, I pretty much agreed with the judges about the outfits, though I'm highly disappointed that we didn't get at least one "vulgar" from Michael. I thought that Ricky's outfit would get it for sure, because it seemed to be seriously tending toward the camel toe. I liked Jillian's blue lattice-work on the midriff. Christian's was, indeed, fierce, and Chris's was great. Rami couldn't help himself and did a little drapey thing on the top, and his color was indeed wrong. Sweet P's outfit was boring and uninspiring, and her model clearly hated it.

Rubystreak
02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Billdo, I agree, Sweet P got the Auf Edit. And OK, I can understand that you love her but... do you really think she deserves to go to Bryant Park more than Rami, Jillian, Chris, or Christian? She seems like a nice person, but she does not seem to have the skills that the other 4 do (I keep thinking about that shirt she made for the Tiki Barber challenge). I really hope she's off next ep, because if she's not, that's just not right.

Did anyone watch the previews?

Some shocking thing is going to happen that has never happened before, and they have Rami going, "You're kidding!?!" looking all upset. Are they going to auf 2 people? That has happened before. What else could it be? Can we speculate in this thread or is that not OK?

Green Bean
02-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Speculate away, my friend.

I'd only ask that we don't include real actual spoilers.

Rubystreak
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Speculate away, my friend.

I'd only ask that we don't include real actual spoilers.

I have no real spoilers and I wish I had something worth saying by way of speculation. I'm sure someone has some better clue than I do. Should we continue to box stuff, considering the topic is based on what was shown in the preview? It's not more than you'd see in the commercials for next week's show. What do you guys think?

Billdo
02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Billdo, I agree, Sweet P got the Auf Edit. And OK, I can understand that you love her but... do you really think she deserves to go to Bryant Park more than Rami, Jillian, Chris, or Christian?

Ok, I guess I didn't need my spoiler box (or you spoiled my spoiler). To be honest, I don't think she really deserves it ahead of Rami, Jillian or Christian, though I'm not that big a fan of Chris's. And I'll admit that she dithers, has problems implementing a vision, and doesn't make the greatest stuff. Also, her tattoos are annoying. But, darn it, I just like her.

Unlike, say, Christian, who makes great stuff but I just want to wring his scrawny little (though highly talented) neck. I am gravely disappointed that Sweet P lost her arm-wrestling match with him.

Zsofia
02-06-2008, 11:44 PM
OUT! OUT! OUT!

I drank so much wine I almost peed myself with shock and wonder. Did you see the surprised look on poor Sweet Pea's face?

Freudian Slit
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Question--the final three must already have been chosen and are probably showing at Bryant Park this week for fashion week, yes? How do they manage to keep that under wraps?

Slacker
02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Question--the final three must already have been chosen and are probably showing at Bryant Park this week for fashion week, yes? How do they manage to keep that under wraps?
I think I recall reading that the final four showed collections at Bryant Park at least one season, to throw people off the trail (I assume the episode where the 4th place finisher got auf'd hadn't aired yet at the time).

I can't fathom why I'd know any of these divas, but the robe-and-reveal chick looks really familiar.

Edit: Ah, there we go. Saw her name (Candice Michelle) in the TWoP thread. She's the "GoDaddy.com Girl."

Miss Purl McKnittington
02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
I believe in past years, they've had a ringer produce a collection for Fashion Week. Wikipedia agrees. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Runway) First season was Austin Scarlett, second season was Kara Janx, and the third season had no ringer.

I imagine that there are a lot of no-disclosure agreements, too. I thought the auf'd designers were kept in seclusion, but I can't find anything to back that up.

Wile E
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
I only saw the end and the amazing thing to me was that

Ricky didn't cry when he was aufed!

Freudian Slit
02-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Cool, that makes sense--thanks.

I guess last time, since they just chose 4 they didn't need a ringer?

Billdo
02-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I guess last time, since they just chose 4 they didn't need a ringer?

Actually, I think what happened is that they intended to choose three plus one ringer, but because they couldn't decide which of the top four would be knocked out to be the ringer, they decided to let them all compete.

Ro Carter
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
My question is this: they have usually eliminated the contestants down to the number that shows at fashion week by the actual show. (They had 4 contestants still around on the show, and all four of those showed a collection. Austen was auf'd on the show the week after, but still showed.) So, does that mean that all 5 of the remaining contestants are going to show at fashion week? If so, I am not a fan. Part of the thing about showing there is that only the very very top designers on the season get to do it. Start including more and more people and not only does the decision get harder, but it dilutes the end of the competition.

Viridiana
02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow, I liked this episode! Even though I'm not into wrestling or skank-ho clothes, this was real fun to watch. what a difference some cheekiness makes, I guess. I thought Chris most definitely deserved to win. Jillian's wasn't that bad, I kind of got it. Christian's was the same thing he always does scaled up to wrestler mode, but he actually said something that made me smile this episode ("sex moans"). Rami's was horribly ugly despite (or perhaps because of) the draping (wtf), the ugliest of the bunch by far to me. Sweet P's looked the least well made and the least satisfying to the customer. I think both Rami's and Sweet P's looked worse than Ricky's (poor guy should have put some rhinestones or some chaps on that thing, I guess) and that Sweet P should have been out - the judges have certainly aufed "poorly made/unfashionable" over "doesn't fit the brief" before. But by now I think their reasons are pretty much random/whatever they can come up with. I still think it's unfair that Rami, Jillian and Christian can pretty much do whatever they want now, the ugliest, most off-mark, horrible shit ever and they'll still be in because the judges (and by reading stuff on the internet, everyone else) love them - it makes the challenges seem meaningless. It would have been sooo hilarious to watch Victoria handle this challenge, had she been there still.

ZebraShaSha
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
My question is this: they have usually eliminated the contestants down to the number that shows at fashion week by the actual show. (They had 4 contestants still around on the show, and all four of those showed a collection. Austen was auf'd on the show the week after, but still showed.) So, does that mean that all 5 of the remaining contestants are going to show at fashion week? If so, I am not a fan. Part of the thing about showing there is that only the very very top designers on the season get to do it. Start including more and more people and not only does the decision get harder, but it dilutes the end of the competition.

Not to mention diluting Bryant Park, which has enough problems with prestige as it is.

Green Bean
02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
It would have been sooo hilarious to watch Victoria handle this challenge, had she been there still.
Man oh man...you're so right! I just got an image of her in my head with her perpetual sourpuss turned up to eleven! Can you imagine her trying to do her typical anti-boob thing when dealing with those women's gigantic sacks of saline?

StGermain
02-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I thought Ricky's outfit did give his wrestler lovehandles. I loved Chris and Christian's outfits. Sweet P always looks like she's about to have a breakdown. Rami's pink was hideous, and Jillian's was passabe, but not terribly memorable.

I loved Michael Kors' comment about the Pope in a sex show. He was almost blushing.

StG

NightRabbit
02-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Jillian's was boring as hell and totally ordinary. You can buy boy shorts like that at wal mart- dunno why she got so much credit.

Chris is great and costumes are his forte so he totally pulled it out and deserved to win! I like the comeback kid.

peedin
02-08-2008, 08:20 AM
I know nothing about wrestling so I found this episode meh. I'm kinda sorry to see Ricky go. He made me nuts with the sobbing throughout the season but he seemed like a nice person (I know, that is NOT a reason to keep him). He showed class at his "exit interview" by saying that he learned to have faith in himself and not let criticism bring him down. The most interesting aspect was seeing Jillian trying to put the moves on Rami, first joining him on the bed in the apartments, then putting her arms on his shoulders outside the wrestling room. I want to tell her "he's gay, give up all hope of conversion."

That said, Big Chris is my fave and is showing he's not a one-trick pony, unlike Rami who drapes everything and Christian who can design only tight, fitted jackets with big sleeves.

ouryL
02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Billdo, I agree, Sweet P got the Auf Edit. And OK, I can understand that you love her but... do you really think she deserves to go to Bryant Park more than Rami, Jillian, Chris, or Christian? She seems like a nice person, but she does not seem to have the skills that the other 4 do (I keep thinking about that shirt she made for the Tiki Barber challenge). I really hope she's off next ep, because if she's not, that's just not right.

Did anyone watch the previews?

Some shocking thing is going to happen that has never happened before, and they have Rami going, "You're kidding!?!" looking all upset. Are they going to auf 2 people? That has happened before. What else could it be? Can we speculate in this thread or is that not OK?

Could be that the next person auf'ed won't know until the final show. :eek:

Freudian Slit
02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
When did they auf two people? Was that one of the team efforts back in season one or two?

gwendee
02-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Could the big surprise be along the lines of "Everyone who's won a challenge gets to come back" a la Angela and Vincent last season? Or maybe Jack's all beter and gets to come back?

I'll keep watching but the show is losing some of it's appeal for me as it becomes just another Bravo vehicle for product placement. "We got the DVDs form BLOCKBUSTER EXPRESS..." I understand that they need money to produce these shows but to me it really detracts...the Hershey store challenge was limiting, just like the Bombay Sapphire/Red Robin/Coldstone Creamery challenges on Top Chef.

And I didn't even get the point of this one. Does WWE really think having their Divas on PR is going to gain them viewers? At least with Levis there's a little bit of logic.

The friend that I dissect the show with on Thursday mornings calls the four finalists last year "The Wendy Pepper Effect". Claims the producers were completely undone when Nancy O'Dell picked Wendy's dress and revised the way the finalists are selected so that the 3 most talented people get to Bryant Park, even if there's a fluke win by a hack.

As for the WWE episode: Okay, besides being a bathing suit, and a bathing suit we've seen in magazines before, those metal rings on Ricky's outfit would make some ugly bruises if someone connected with them in the ring. ( i know they don't really hit eachother but...) Won't miss Ricky at all. Sweet Pea...if her big thing is Robe and Reveal why make a robe that's already revealing??? I did get "fierce" from Christian's but I thought the jacket was a bit of a mess. I liked Chris' overall look much better, but as much as I hate to say it don't think it fit his model as well as Jillian's. Her boobs looked a little mashed and it looked as if some of the strappy bits were squeezing her too much. Jillian's wrestler did look ready to go in that outfit, though I agree the socks were a strange and bad choice. Let's see, who have I forgotten? Rami! Poor Rami "I'm from Israel. I don't know about American fashion" got the "All-American girl next door". Next door to what? Pamela Anderson's tailor? It's the same blasted thing he has made every week but denim week, with the middle yanked out. Feh! I was pulling for him early on, but his one note is not as adaptable as Uli's one note. And what was with that color???

Viridiana
02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
When did they auf two people? Was that one of the team efforts back in season one or two?

Yup, season 2 Banana Republic challenge.

And Green Bean, I'm giggling just thinking about it!

Freudian Slit
02-08-2008, 03:16 PM
The friend that I dissect the show with on Thursday mornings calls the four finalists last year "The Wendy Pepper Effect". Claims the producers were completely undone when Nancy O'Dell picked Wendy's dress and revised the way the finalists are selected so that the 3 most talented people get to Bryant Park, even if there's a fluke win by a hack.
Yeah...I think a lot of people thought Austin was robbed.

Couldn't they have put pressure on O'Dell to have chosen someone else's dress, or something, if they really didn't want Wendy Pepper to go to fashion week?

Carol the Impaler
02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Jillian's wrestler did look ready to go in that outfit, though I agree the socks were a strange and bad choice.

I liked the socks, found 'em kinda cool, actually. They were reminiscent of the heavy knee-highs soccer players wear, only made into thigh-highs for the sexy factor.

Encinitas
02-09-2008, 01:11 AM
I am beginning to think that Rami may be (partially) colorblind. His color choices are consistently fugly.

Zsofia
02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I liked the socks, found 'em kinda cool, actually. They were reminiscent of the heavy knee-highs soccer players wear, only made into thigh-highs for the sexy factor.
Exactly - and the shorts weren't just shorts, they were like a stripper version of boxing trunks. That's what I liked, it had cute details.

Miss Purl McKnittington
02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Man oh man...you're so right! I just got an image of her in my head with her perpetual sourpuss turned up to eleven! Can you imagine her trying to do her typical anti-boob thing when dealing with those women's gigantic sacks of saline?
I keep picturing her asking one of the WWE ladies to wear a minimizing bra. And then pitching a passive-aggressive fit when she is told that's not going to fly -- saying in that little whisper voice, "I just can't get the bodice to fit, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong." With that undertone of "It's not my fault; it's the boob-holder's."

As for Rami's color choice in this episode, he said something about Barbie, which I suppose is as close as he could get to All-American girl.

ouryL
02-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Well
real time has caught up with PR and if you wanna be spoiled, Google "NY Fashion Week" . :p

Freudian Slit
02-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Well
real time has caught up with PR and if you wanna be spoiled, Google "NY Fashion Week" . :p
Should I take from this that there was either only one ringer, or no other ringer?

Damnit, now I want to google it, but I want to be surprised and wait for next week! It makes me wonder why they skipped an episode last week. If they'd shown Ricky getting eliminated last week, this week they would be down to about four.

Freudian Slit
02-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Well
Okay, I did google it, and it said that the five of them are all having shows because two of them are ringers. So I don't see what's being spoiled? :confused:

Liberal
02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Why don't they schedule their show so they don't have this problem?

haystack1989
02-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Is it just me or did Ricky's orange "bathing suit" look like something Foxy Cleopatra wore on Austin Powers Goldmember??

Freudian Slit
02-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Why don't they schedule their show so they don't have this problem?
You mean for after Fashion Week? Well, I think the whole point is that it's a dream come true for most designers to show at Olympus Fashion Week. It's kind of pointless to just have a random fashion show.

Liberal
02-12-2008, 10:39 AM
No, not for after. For before. Time it to coincide with a final two going into fashion week with a live finale.

Nawth Chucka
02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
If I have to hear Christian hiss out 'fee-yerce' one more time, I'm flying to NYC and stealing his hair products. Man, get thee a thesaurus already.

The product placement is as bad or worse than 'Biggest Loser', but not by much.

I'd like to see Chris take it all, it just seems to me that he's lived his entire life designing his kooky world. But then, do you think all the competitors would be happy to have the acclaim that could await if they're embraced as a designer darling? The guy from season one didn't do very well and I can see the Big Scary World of Fashion eating Christian alive. There are thousands of talented people who could take his place in a heartbeat if he were to show his arrogant self to the head of a prestigious house.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.