PDA

View Full Version : Big Lebowski and Mutts comic strip

Hugh Jass
02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't really know why, but I'm a fan of the comic strip Mutts. If you don't know about it, it's your standard cats and dogs who can speak and say cute stuff strip. Sue me, I like it.

But this week, the author has taken it to another level, IMHO. The cat in the strip is channelling the Dude all this week. I find it strangely charming, since that is my favorite movie of all time.

Check it out at the Washington Post website. This link is to Monday's strip. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/comics/king.html?name=Mutts&date=20080204) The Lebowski cross-over runs all this week.

KneadToKnow
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
I love Mutts. Maybe this will make me interested in The Big Lebowski.

teela brown
02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Is that "lotta ins / lotta outs" line right from the movie? I'm trying to place that one.

MovieMogul
02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Is that "lotta ins / lotta outs" line right from the movie? I'm trying to place that one."This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous. And uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head. "

The only one I found funny was today's--because it built on the Lebowski joke and not just stealing its ideas wholesale.

Phlosphr
02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
If you are a Big Lebowski fan, you'll love this (http://lebowskifest.com/book.asp) book. Titled aptly: Your a Lebowski, I'm a Lebowski. Life, the big lebowski, and what-have-you. :) Enjoy.

Trunk
02-08-2008, 02:09 PM
I really like the "Lotta ins" one. The rest weren't so great.

Garfield226
02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Wow that was dumb. I like the movie and the comic strip is ok, but just repeating lines from the movie? And the same one on two consecutive days?

Sounds like someone got a case of writer's block to me.

Thudlow Boink
02-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Sounds like someone got a case of writer's block to me.If so, has the writer of that strip ever been unblocked?

Okay, Hugh Jass, you'll be hearing from my lawyer.

jayjay
02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
If it helps even things out, you can imagine Jeff Bridges laying on his back, tossing roseate hosiery in the air, and reciting over and over "li'l pink sock!"

Of course, Mutts could have gone edgier is they'd had the cat say "Shut the fuck up, Donny!" at least once...

wolf_meister
02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Is this your homework Hugh Jass?
(If so, the moderator should this thread down since homework problems are not allowed here at the SDMB.)

As others have said, the comic strips are (at best) just okay because they are only quoting "The Big Lebowski" for no particular reason.

Alan Smithee
02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Don't worry Hugh. I getcha. Mutts doesn't quite make my list of favorite comics, but it has a special place on the comics page of my heart nonetheless, because McDonnell always goes straight for the Zen sweet spot between Krazy Kat and Family Circus. He's not everyone's cuppa tea, but he's a hella talented cartoonist, IMO.

carnivorousplant
02-08-2008, 11:56 PM
I like Mutts. It's amusing. I hadn't a clue what Mooch was doing in the boxer shorts and "the Dudester abides". Thanks for the explanation.

Hugh Jass
02-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Aw, c'mon guys. I wasn't saying it was fine art. I just found it charming.

I don't get the "homework" comment, but oh well. At least Alan Smithee understands me.

pricciar
02-09-2008, 01:26 AM
I love Mutts. It doesn't make me laugh out loud, but I think the stories are always sweet. And, the artwork is awesome. Very reminiscent of Krazy Kat, as Smithee mentioned. I doubly enjoyed these strips, because of my Lebowski love. And, I thought dropping the quotes in there was fun.
Maybe next week will be Fargo!

pat

wolf_meister
02-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Hugh Jass
You didn't get the homework comment I made?
You are a fan of "The Big Lebowski" aren't you?
Remember when John Goodman was asking Larry Sellers "Is this your homework Larry?" (said about a dozen times)
I just figured I'd invoke the SDMB "no homework" rule and tie it in to a quote from "The Big Lebowski".

Jurph
02-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Well, for those of you who didn't like it, the Mutts-Lebowski crossover ran through the ninth. But, uh... dude? Today's already the tenth.

pepperlandgirl
02-09-2008, 02:59 AM
But, uh... dude? Today's already the tenth.

Far out.

neutron star
02-09-2008, 07:19 AM
I saw a couple of these in the paper. I shrugged and said "huh. How 'bout that?" and moved on to the next comic.

Then again, I never quite understood the obsession some people have with Lebowski. Also, I'm trying to remember the last time something - anything - on the comics page made me laugh out loud, and I'm genuinely unable to do so.

JonScribe
02-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Wow that was dumb. I like the movie and the comic strip is ok, but just repeating lines from the movie? And the same one on two consecutive days?

Sounds like someone got a case of writer's block to me.
Sounds like professional jealousy to me there, Mr. Garfield.

Least Original User Name Ever
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM

And that's from someone named Jon.

Ooooooh...it's about to get nasty in here.

Garfield226
02-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey man, I was a fan of my strip back when it was actually GOOD!

Yeah, that was a good ... day.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.