PDA

View Full Version : RIP Roy Scheider

Otto
02-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Roy Scheider, Chief Brody from "Jaws," has died (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/ap_on_en_mo/obit_scheider) at age 75.

brownie55
02-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Roy Scheider, Chief Brody from "Jaws," has died (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/ap_on_en_mo/obit_scheider) at age 75.
The rest of the world may remember him for Jaws, but to me he will always be Joe Giddeon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078754/) in All That Jazz.

Tuckerfan
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
He was also in the coolest helicopter movie of all time: Blue Thunder. A great actor.

Wile E
02-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Oh no!

How terrible am I that I thought the thread title was referring to Dom DeLuise?

BrainGlutton
02-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Roy Scheider: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Scheider) Dead at 75. (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hKHy4OUtBzC0af0U1NXkiVNx76DQD8UNRLA80)

He was awesome in Naked Lunch!

Two and a Half Inches of Fun
02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
One of my favorites. That surprises me. Looks like he was still working (or just stopped).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001702/

The Hamster King
02-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Bye Bye Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNcl0L7eJUY)

Cluricaun
02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Sail on Cheif Brody. Jaws was and is still one of the best films of all time and only he could temper the manic Richard Dreyfuss and the sublime Robert Shaw into what was truly a great threesome.

brownie55
02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Dupe threads reported.

missbunny
02-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Oh, now that makes me sad. He was one of my favorites. Nobody else could have played Bob Fosse like he did. Or Brody. :(

SkipMagic
02-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Dupe threads merged.

Wile E
02-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Dupe threads merged.

Thanks, that makes my comment about the other title make no sense. Oh well, it was an awful comment anyway and I feel bad. Unfortunately it's too late to edit that post.

Anyway, I always thought Roy Scheider was kind of sexy in Jaws.

Kamino Neko
02-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks, that makes my comment about the other title make no sense.

Otto's title is still on his OP...I didn't think to look for it until I saw the merge comment, but at least your joke isn't an entirely orphaned bit of anti-taste.

RickJay
02-10-2008, 11:48 PM
We will no longer be needing a bigger boat.

pinkfreud
02-10-2008, 11:52 PM
That's some bad news, Harry.

Randy Seltzer
02-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Anyone else remember seaQuest DSV? That show rocked.

RIP Captain Bridger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bridger).

cochrane
02-11-2008, 01:57 AM
He was also in the coolest helicopter movie of all time: Blue Thunder. A great actor.
"Well Murph, feeling any pressure?"

"Yeah. About 15 pounds per square inch at sea level."

Sierra Indigo
02-11-2008, 02:01 AM

RIP Captain Bridger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bridger).

That's where I first met Roy.

RIP Captain. At least you outlived Lucas.

Omniscient
02-11-2008, 03:42 AM
That's always the first role I'll remember him in. 8 year old me could not have been more fired up about a movie.

Pushkin
02-11-2008, 05:15 AM
A shame to be sure, I was enjoying Jaws the other week on satellite too.

I remembered the cancer when I watched it too, I thought he might not have long to go.

lissener
02-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Just watched All That Jazz the other night, and 52 Pickup recently. He was not a great actor, but when he was well cast he was very effective.

cochrane
02-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Don't forget Buddy Russo in "The French Connection," a role for which he was nominated for an Academy Award.

Interestingly enough, he was originally considered for the role of John Rambo in "First Blood."

Le Ministre de l'au-delà
02-11-2008, 07:39 AM
And in the sequel to 2001 - 2010 (an otherwise forgettable movie saved by casting Bob Balaban, Roy Scheider and John Lithgow). And Sorcerer, the remake of Le Salaire de la peur, which is one of the few American remakes that is as good as the original. And not to forget Marathon Man, where he was briefly Dustin Hoffman's brother.

No histrionics, no huge ego (that I ever heard of), just a great, completely self-assured presence on screen. Dr. Benway was so much more menacing because of his minimalism.

Good night, sweet prince
and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Labdad
02-11-2008, 07:41 AM
And a truly amazing performance in "Sorcerer." He was one of my faves. RIP :(

Annie-Xmas
02-11-2008, 08:08 AM
I hope he and Fosse are having a good time wherever they are.

Elenfair
02-11-2008, 08:29 AM
He will be missed. I've had the opportunity to work with him -- he was a kind-hearted, funny guy and a fascinating actor to watch at work. "Intense" is probably one way to describe him. Though he had been ill these past few years, he was still working and enjoying every minute of it.

Damn. We're gonna miss him.

Godspeed, sir :)

muldoonthief
02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
"Smile you son of a bitch!"

I still make it a point to watch Jaws every year before the beaches open. I hope he and Robert Shaw are drunk & singing in that not-quite-big-enough fishing boat in the sky.

Johnny L.A.
02-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I haven't seen most of his work, but Roy Scheider is one of my favourite actors. He was great in Jaws, brilliant in All That Jazz, and I loved his portrayal of Dr. Benway in Naked Lunch. I wish 2010 had been a better film, but I enjoyed Scheider's role in it.

Wee Bairn
02-11-2008, 09:54 AM
No one here has seen the Seven-Ups? That's his best performance, and the best of the 70's cop/chase movies.

Girl Next Door
02-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Bye Bye Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNcl0L7eJUY)
Thank you, Pochacco. That is one of my all-time favorite movie scenes. Rest in peace, Roy Scheider. You were one of the greats.

robby
02-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I met Mr. Scheider when he and Robert Ballard toured our submarine as part of a public relations gig. Mr. Scheider was supposedly there to see an actual submarine CO in action. We put out to sea with them aboard for a day.

I wasn't very impressed with the show, though.

Rocketeer
02-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I remember watching him sweat in half-a-dozen movies. Seemed like if you wanted an actor who could sweat and make the veins in his neck bulge with tension, he was your man. :)

choie
02-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Damn. The NYT article says that according to his wife, he died from a staph infection. When this happens, do patients' survivors have any cause for legal action? I mean, I thought staph infections are usually traced to the hospital workers rather than the patient?

Omniscient
02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Interestingly enough, he was originally considered for the role of John Rambo in "First Blood."

Cite? I've never heard anything of the sort. The film couldn't even get into production until Stallone signed on. It's possible that Scheider had discussions about some early version of the screenplay, but the movie we know was developed almost entirely as a Stallone vehicle.

Moirai
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM

Ironically, he was known to have rolled his eyes and figured that something about "Jaws" would be on his tombstone. ;)

His Joe Gideon was magnificent.

Wildfire**MM
02-11-2008, 03:13 PM

RIP

I remeber that I saw Jaws 1 on video in 1981 when I was a child. That was in my mind the first decant "grown ups"-movie is saw. It was a breathtaking experience.

I also like some of his later movie, like "The Fourth War" (1989) and "Blue thunder" (1984). I must also mention The french connection which was one of his forst

Miller
02-11-2008, 03:16 PM
For a second, I thought the OP was talking about Rob Scheider. Which made this thread doubly disappointing. First, because Roy Sceider is dead. Second, because Rob Scheider isn't.

(Only kidding, I don't really want Rob Scheider to die. Just his career.)

Wildfire**MM
02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Don't forget Buddy Russo in "The French Connection," a role for which he was nominated for an Academy Award.

He was also considered the leading role in The Deer Hunter and the horrormovie The Omen

KneadToKnow
02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
We will no longer be needing a bigger boat.
No, but Charon will.

For a second, I thought the OP was talking about Rob Scheider.

Rob Schneider (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001705/)

TV time
02-11-2008, 05:35 PM
As long as we're playing "You didn't mention," I'm going to throw in Marathon Man. Talk about a wonderful portrayal. He had to play between Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier and he had a character that if played by most actors would be little more than a cartoon of James Bond. But Scheider gave it a reality that still is powerful even though one gets the feeling that if any more of it were left on the cutting room floor, there would not have beem enough for a good commercial.

Great actor - Can't you just seen him looking down on this thread saying, "Where were all these fans when I was alive?"

Otto
02-11-2008, 05:40 PM
As long as we're playing "You didn't mention," I'm going to throw in Marathon Man.
Post #23.

Moirai
02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
If you were a theater geek in the late 70's and early 80's, hoo boy was he ever hot in All That Jazz. No wonder we all wanted a womanizing bastard of a director/choreographer! ;) Gimme an unrepentant bad boy any day!

Loved that film- music, ugly people humping, bad fashion, worse hair & make-up, and heavy drug use!

"What's wrong? Don't you like musical comedy?"

:cool:

Ferret Herder
02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Damn. The NYT article says that according to his wife, he died from a staph infection. When this happens, do patients' survivors have any cause for legal action? I mean, I thought staph infections are usually traced to the hospital workers rather than the patient?
I don't have a cite, but last I'd read, "community acquired" (vs. "hospital acquired") staph infections were becoming far more frequent.

As for legal action, you'd probably have to show the hospital could have prevented it. There are lots of ways for visitors, other patients, etc., to pick up and spread staph in a hospital without the personnel having any interaction with it.

Back to the main topic - RIP Mr. Scheider.

Darth Nader
02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Joe Gideon got what he wanted, at last.

I'll remember him in 2010, scared shitless and comforting a cosmonaut with nothing to do during Jupiter insertion...

Baldwin
02-11-2008, 09:54 PM
No one here has seen the Seven-Ups? That's his best performance, and the best of the 70's cop/chase movies.Oh, yeah. Nothing glitzy, just tough hard-core 70s cops and criminals.

52 Pickup wasn't a great movie, but Scheider carried his role with conviction, especially with lines like "Something about your face just makes me want to slap the shit out of it."

OttoDaFe
02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't have a cite, but last I'd read, "community acquired" (vs. "hospital acquired") staph infections were becoming far more frequent.

As for legal action, you'd probably have to show the hospital could have prevented it. There are lots of ways for visitors, other patients, etc., to pick up and spread staph in a hospital without the personnel having any interaction with it.

Back to the main topic - RIP Mr. Scheider.IIRC, he'd been undergoing treatment for various cancers ("multiple myeloma") for some time now. So his immune system was quite possibly compromised to the point where it couldn't fight off a garden-variety bug, much less staph.

And re the main topic: "show's over, folks." RIP indeed.

cochrane
02-12-2008, 02:02 AM

Cite? I've never heard anything of the sort. The film couldn't even get into production until Stallone signed on. It's possible that Scheider had discussions about some early version of the screenplay, but the movie we know was developed almost entirely as a Stallone vehicle.
I don't have a definitive source, but it's been reported in various obituaries online. I'm trying to go with better sources than Wikipedia.

Radar Online (http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/02/roy-scheider-the-reason-you-dont-surf-dead-at-75.php)

FWIW, however, imdb says Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, and John Travolta were also considered for the role. Stallone may have been the impetus behind getting the movie produced, but many films go through a preliminary process where other actors are interviewed before the final choice is made.

Airman Doors, USAF
02-12-2008, 02:22 AM
*click* Catch ya later.

There is no small irony that a guy named cochrane is posting to this thread, either.

Cochrane is the name of the bad guy (played by Malcolm McDowell) in Blue Thunder

cochrane
02-12-2008, 04:25 AM
*click* Catch ya later.

There is no small irony that a guy named cochrane is posting to this thread, either.

Cochrane is the name of the bad guy (played by Malcolm McDowell) in Blue Thunder

Hee, hee. Yeah, I noticed that. I took my screen name from the Star Trek character Zefram Cochrane, however. Nice coincidence, though.

Tuckerfan
02-28-2008, 07:19 AM
A bump, because NPR's Fresh Aire (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=37759288) just did a piece on Chicago 10, a documentary, in which Scheider provides the voice of the judge in the case. The story sounds fascinating, and when they play a clip of the film with Scheider speaking, then a clip of the court room trial with the judge speaking, it's amazing (at least to my ears) how closely he captured the strangeness of the judge's voice.

One thing that I thought when I heard the piece is that it is not something I'd naturally associate Scheider with, then I remember that when he heard they were going to be making a movie of Naked Lunch, he called up Cronenberg and said, "I have to play Benway! I am Benway!" (This is before the script had ever been written, BTW.) So, I have to wonder what was up with ol' Roy? He certainly didn't have any public scandals that I can recall, and the Dopers who've met him speak kindly of him.

Little Nemo
02-28-2008, 12:06 PM
2010 (an otherwise forgettable movie saved by casting Bob Balaban, Roy Scheider and John Lithgow)Another interesting casting choice in that movie: with the exception of Helen Mirren, they used actual Soviet actors to play the Soviet crew.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.