PDA

View Full Version : Weird Trivia

haystack1989
02-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Points for the correct answer not the most popular. Just some trivia that you may or may not know. No looking at other answers before you post, just see how you do.

1. Name the first person to break the speed of sound (5 points)
ExtraCredit: Name character/actor that played him on a TV show (5 pts)

2. Name Stephen King's attempt at a novel for children (5 pts)
EC: A lot of his books are set in Maine. Can you tell me what else many of them have in common? (10 pts)

3. Who sang the song Nobody Knows? (5 pts)

4. Name all nine of the Fellowship of the Ring? (5 pts)
EC: Can you name the little singing man the Hobbits meet in the Old Forrest that wasn't in the movie? (10 pts)

5. In Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events crap just keeps happening to the orphans. Can you tell me what Count Olaf has tattoed on his ankle? (5 pts)

6. Name Pokemon #39 (5 pts)

7. Name the town Brad and Janet are from in Rocky Horror Picture Show(5 pts)

8. Name all the main characters and how they are related to each other in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality

Indistinguishable
02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
1. Chuck Yeager, don't know the actor.

2. Don't know the children's novel. Um, a lot of his books are horror, a lot of his books make reference to Shawshank prison and perhaps even Andy Dufresne, I think, a lot of his books are written in English...

3. Queens of the Stone Age

4. I don't know the names of them all; let's say, Frodo, Samwise, uh, Pippin, Merry, Bashful, Dopey... I'm just embarrassing myself.

5. Don't know

6. Just a random-ass guess: Bulbasaur

7. Just a random-ass guess: Salem, Massachusetts

8. Just a random-ass guess: They're all the same person

want2know
02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=haystack1989]Points for the correct answer not the most popular. Just some trivia that you may or may not know. No looking at other answers before you post, just see how you do.

Chuck Yeager. Don't know about TV, but Sam Shepard played him in The Right Stuff

Denton, Ohio

Flander
02-13-2008, 03:09 PM

Princess Vespa from Spaceballs?

Death of Rats
02-13-2008, 03:11 PM
2. Eye of the Dragon

Bosstone
02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
EC: A lot of his books are set in Maine. Can you tell me what else many of them have in common? (10 pts)Considering the books I've gone through of his recently (Dark Tower, Talisman, Black House) and throwing the Shining into the mix, he loves evil buildings.4. Name all nine of the Fellowship of the Ring? (5 pts)
EC: Can you name the little singing man the Hobbits meet in the Old Forrest that wasn't in the movie? (10 pts)Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf. The singing man is Tom Bombadil.

Antinor01
02-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Points for the correct answer not the most popular. Just some trivia that you may or may not know. No looking at other answers before you post, just see how you do.

Yeager

EC: A lot of his books are set in Maine. Can you tell me what else many of them have in common? (10 pts) Not sure on the first part. They were written by Stephen King? ;) More seriously, I've heard that many of his books were inspired by his nightmares.
3. Who sang the song Nobody Knows? (5 pts) Unknown

EC: Can you name the little singing man the Hobbits meet in the Old Forrest that wasn't in the movie? (10 pts) Frodo, Samwise, Merry...umm and the Took. Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn and Boromir. Singing man....Tom Bombadil?

5. In Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events crap just keeps happening to the orphans. Can you tell me what Count Olaf has tattoed on his ankle? (5 pts)
I forget the name, but it was the symbol they kept finding and was in the window that he used to start the fires.
6. Name Pokemon #39 (5 pts) No clue

7. Name the town Brad and Janet are from in Rocky Horror Picture Show(5 pts) No clue

8. Name all the main characters and how they are related to each other in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality Heh, this one gets complicated. Niobe Kaftan is Clotho (In this role she has an affair with Norton who is Time) and later Lachesis. As a young woman she marries Cedric and fathers "Junior" who grows up to be known as the magician. In her 2nd marriage she becomes the mother of Orb who later becomes Nature. She is the grandmother of Luna (The magicians daughter) who becomes involved with Zane, who is in the role of Death. Orb, prior to becoming nature has a relationship and child with Mym, who later becomes War. After that relationship and after becoming Nature she marries Satan (known as Parry in his human life). Orb and Mym's child is adopted out and grows up to be Orlene who has an affair with Norton (before he becomes Time). She has a child who dies as an infant, commits suicide but later assumes the role of Good. Nox is the incarnation of Night who has existed since the beginning of time and has various interactions with pretty much everyone. I'm sure I missed a few details, but that is the main gist.

Wargamer
02-13-2008, 03:26 PM
To be precise, Yeager was NOT the first person to break the speed of sound. Several WWII prop fighter planes, notably the American P-47 and the German FW-190 and the German jet, the Me-262, were noted to have broken the sound barrier in uncontrolled dives. In fact, the Germans, as I recall, developed the swept wing on the Me-262 (the world's first jet fighter), based on research conducted on their prop planes, to specifically fight the loss of control to the wing surfaces during these high-speed dives.

Yeager, I believe, was the first person to break the sound barrier in level powered flight.

(Yeager was played by Sam Shepherd, btw, in The Right Stuff).

Dolores Reborn
02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
1. Chuck Yeager. No.
2. Eye of the Tiger EC: ties to the Dark Tower
3. No clue
4. No. No.
5. Nope.
6. Jebus!
7. I should know this...
8. Wha?

Indistinguishable
02-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh, shit. I wasn't thinking clearly; the "Queens of the Stone Age" song was "No One Knows", not "Nobody Knows". Well, there goes half my points...

haystack1989
02-13-2008, 03:57 PM

EC: A lot of his books are set in Maine. Can you tell me what else many of them have in common? (10 pts)

EC: Can you name the little singing man the Hobbits meet in the Old Forrest that wasn't in the movie? (10 pts)

8. Name all the main characters and how they are related to each other in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality (40 pts)

please answer all questions to get a higher score

Antinor01
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
(40 pts)

please answer all questions to get a higher score

How many points for #8? I can give more detailed analysis if it raises my score. :D

ETA - is the 40 points for #8?

Ludovic
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
% This is the song nobody knows,
and when they dance they step on toes,
somebody started singing it not knowing how it ends
and they'll continue trying to cause....ummm.....I forgot the next line %

FilmGeek
02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Almost all of Stephen King's books are set in the same universe. Many characters and situations overlap and show up in other books.

haystack1989
02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
How many points for #8? I can give more detailed analysis if it raises my score. :D

ETA - is the 40 points for #8?

yes

jali
02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Chuck Yeager
In a movie: Sam Shepphard. 2 1/2 points mebbe?

Carrie.
Graveyards

Paul Robeson.

Gandalf. The elf, the dwarf, the other hobbits, The King
EC: Can you name the little singing man the Hobbits meet in the Old Forrest that wasn't in the movie? (10 pts) no

A tattoo

Winkey Dink

New York,New York

8. Name all the main characters and how they are related to each other in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality
The Graces? Wait - it's been a long time. I can't remember.

Kamino Neko
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM

In which Pokedex?

Eh...all of 'em:

Jigglypuff (Kanto/National)
Crobat (Johto - 169 National)
Abra (Hoenn - 63 National)
Bastiodon (Sinnoh - 411 National)

Ghanima
02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I think I know a few:

The Eyes of the Dragon

4. EC: Can you name the little singing man the Hobbits meet in the Old Forrest that wasn't in the movie? (10 pts)
Tom Bombadil?

An eye

8. Name all the main characters and how they are related to each other in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality[/QUOTE]

Death - Some poor schmuck
The three fates - A mother, a daughter and some other gal
Evil - He loved Gaia I think
Gaia
War

Otto
02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
While Brad and Janet are from Denton, the state is never identified in canon. That Denton is in Ohio is speculation, usually based on the fact that a copy of the Cleveland Plain Dealer appears in the film.

The Incarnations of Immortality:

Death
Chronos
War
The Fates
Gaea
The Devil
God

Mercifully I have forgotten much of the interlinkages between the various characters.

Indistinguishable
02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
In which Pokedex?

Eh...all of 'em:

Jigglypuff (Kanto/National)
Crobat (Johto - 169 National)
Abra (Hoenn - 63 National)
Bastiodon (Sinnoh - 411 National)
Holy shit, man. I mean, I don't know anything about Pokemon, but I'm thinking this indicates that you're able to remember several numbered lists of size into the hundreds each. Is this like people who can correspond all the athletes from some sport with their number over a period of several years? I mean, wow.

E-Sabbath
02-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Point of order. Chuck Yeager was the first to _survive_ going supersonic. People went supersonic in P-51 Mustangs. In dives. Briefly.
Name his plane. And I'm not talking X-1, it had a name.

Ludovic
02-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Point of order. Chuck Yeager was the first to _survive_ going supersonic. People went supersonic in P-51 Mustangs. In dives. Briefly.
I went supersonic. Once. Guess which year?

Snickers
02-14-2008, 08:24 AM
I went supersonic. Once. Guess which year?

Was it for 20 minutes, though?

The Chao Goes Mu
02-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Io also thought Chuck Yeager was the first to break the sound barrier.
Stephen King's childrens' book was My Pretty Pony.
One thing his books had in common is a fictious town called Castlerock.

butler1850
02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Name his plane. And I'm not talking X-1, it had a name.

Glamorous Glennis. After his wife.

E-Sabbath
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Hm. Harder to find citations for P-51s actually exceeding the sound barrier than I thought. Mostly because they did it in very small pieces, admittedly, starting to come apart at about .8 Mach.

detop
02-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Chuck Yeager
pass

Eyes of the Dragon
They are set in the town of Castle Rock ?

pass

Frodo, Merry, Samwise, Pippin, Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Faramir, Gandalf
Tom Bombadil

pass

pass

Dayton

pass

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.