PDA

View Full Version : Help me suss out a bassline?

SiXSwordS
04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Namely, What Becomes of the Broken Hearted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA0GcXV2njY)

I recently watched Standing in the Shadows of Motown. I wanted to try my hand at some of the tunes on bass. I thought Joan Osbourne's take on What Becomes of the Broken Hearted was nice and it seemed fairly straight forward.

I should mention right here that the main reason I am not a functional musician aside from debilitating stage fright is my complete inability to pick up a tune by ear. I know so many people who can listen to a song on the radio and tell me what the chords are. I hate them all. I have tried playing in bands and I have a hard time keeping up, even when I can see what others are playing (especially with bass lines). Once I learn a song I do ok.

I recognize that there are ethical considerations in Tabbing music. To some it is akin to piracy because musicians have rights to their music and they deserve remuneration for their work. For what it's worth, I already have two chord charts for the song (one in Bb and another in A ???) and they have confused me all the more. I guess what I need is a Bass lesson rather than a note-for-note transcription of what's being played, even a pointer or two would be appreciated.

I understand that the bass is not simply playing the root tones, but I just can't quite get past the intro (in F). Assuming the tune is in Bb, it sure sounds to me like Bob Babbitt starts with an F. (James Jamerson played on the original.) But after that I'm lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

SiXSwordS
04-04-2008, 02:16 PM
By way of a bump, feel free to add comments you may have about the legitimacy of sharing tabs or even sheet music without consideration to the musicians.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.