PDA

View Full Version : SNL April 5 C. Walken

Mikemike2
04-05-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm looking forward to the episode tonite as Christopher Walken is one of the guests SNL pulls out all the stops for. I just saw a promo ("I just had lasagna") and he acts so quirky as to barely qualify as human. I enjoyed many of the SNL episodes last year, and haven't liked any show yet this year. I am also getting tired of white Obama impersonations. Here's hoping for more Cow Bell.

Wee Bairn
04-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I too am looking forward to tonight- its pretty much impossible to have a bad episode hosted by Walken.

And it would have been lame of SNL to hire a black ringer just to do Obama- especially when Fred can do it well. And note, Fred is I believe literally less white than Obama is.

Mikemike2
04-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I too am looking forward to tonight- its pretty much impossible to have a bad episode hosted by Walken.

And it would have been lame of SNL to hire a black ringer just to do Obama- especially when Fred can do it well. And note, Fred is I believe literally less white than Obama is.

I agree that Fred does a good Obama impression. Just make him look black. Getting the hair right, the eyebrows right, the expressions right, and then forgetting the skin color is stupid. I know this has been discussed before, but this is supposed to be an edgy show not afraid of offending people.

Leaper
04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Christopher Walken is hosting SNL this week?

Wow! Wowie-wow-wow!

Thudlow Boink
04-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I agree that Fred does a good Obama impression. Just make him look black. Getting the hair right, the eyebrows right, the expressions right, and then forgetting the skin color is stupid. I know this has been discussed before, but this is supposed to be an edgy show not afraid of offending people.It's also a live show. It may be trickier than it's worth to change an actor's skin color between one sketch and the next.

friedo
04-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a sudden urge to prank somebody with a tire iron.

Sam Stone
04-06-2008, 05:39 AM
You'll just have to settle for a giant invisible bird.

What Exit?
04-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I fell asleep before the Update. Did I miss any good skits. Even the High School play was funny and I think only Walken could have pulled that off.

randwill
04-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I forgot it was on and only saw the last half hour. Walken couldn't take his eyes off the cue cards for a second. Nor could the cue card guy, apparently, move to a position that would allow Walken to appear to be speaking to the other actors. I'm not saying it wasn't funny, just a little awkward.

Exapno Mapcase
04-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Walken has never, in any of his 100 (sic) appearances on the show, looked a fellow actor in the eye. He doesn't even pretend to or give a quick cheat in their direction. He stares directly at the cue cards always. And he still can't get more than a bare majority of his lines right.

It's probably the least professional behavior of anybody in the history of the show and that includes Ashlee Simpson.

How stoned do you have to be to find this funny?

What Exit?
04-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Walken has never, in any of his 100 (sic) appearances on the show, looked a fellow actor in the eye. He doesn't even pretend to or give a quick cheat in their direction. He stares directly at the cue cards always. And he still can't get more than a bare majority of his lines right.

It's probably the least professional behavior of anybody in the history of the show and that includes Ashlee Simpson.

How stoned do you have to be to find this funny?
Damn, that's harsh. I was cold stone sober and just tired. ;)

I found the pre-made audience questions and the High School skit funny. It is Walken's demeanor that does it.

Thudlow Boink
04-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I fell asleep before the Update. Did I miss any good skits. Even the High School play was funny and I think only Walken could have pulled that off.Much of the show was like that: Funny, even laugh-out-loud funny, but I have my doubts that it would have worked at all without Walken.

And even he couldn't save the surprise party sketch.

And the Walken family reunion, though mildly amusing, was clearly on because everyone in the cast wanted an excuse to do a Walken impression.

The plants with googly eyes sketch, on the other hand, was classic Walken.

Mikemike2
04-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I agree that I found Walken's laser lock on the cue cards to be distracting to the point of being uncomfortable. Glance at the other cast members once in a while, and maybe memorize a few of your shorter lines. I wonder if he memorizes his lines when he is on a movie set.

The two sketches I thought were funny were the scared of plants scene, and the farewell sketch of an office employee. When Walken stuck out his tongue for a kiss we pretty much gasped. Laser cats wasn't too bad, but we have seen two other shorts with the same story.

I watched it this morning. Thank goodness for fast forward.

I don't think any of these sketches will be making unto future compilations., so kinda disappointing as I was hoping for one excellent show this season. Also they repeated the Tina Fey once a year period sketch, which was funny, but they had just done it.

Mikemike2
04-06-2008, 12:32 PM
It's also a live show. It may be trickier than it's worth to change an actor's skin color between one sketch and the next.

Ya but they used a lot of makeup for previous Frankenstein and Cave Man sketches. I don't think inconvenience is why they are scared of making a sorta of white guy look black.

FriarTed
04-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I missed it so... was there a visit from ....

The Continental?

"Cham-pahg-nyay?"

gonzomax
04-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Walken said on TV that he was having dinner in a restaurant in Singapore. A diner at the table next o him told the waiter "you know what this salad needs. It needs more cowbell'. He says he can not get away from it.

Rachael Rage
04-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Much of the show was like that: Funny, even laugh-out-loud funny, but I have my doubts that it would have worked at all without Walken.

And even he couldn't save the surprise party sketch.

And the Walken family reunion, though mildly amusing, was clearly on because everyone in the cast wanted an excuse to do a Walken impression.

The plants with googly eyes sketch, on the other hand, was classic Walken. Completely agree - my boyfriend and I were laughing hysterically at the monologue - just something about Walken waxing so enthusiastically about the GIANT invisible BIRD really got to us - and yes, we were stone-cold sober. Certainly one of the best opening monologues I've seen in a while, and overall a pretty strong show.

But I felt that Andy Samberg's Pregnant Man was a little too similar to his Diablo Cody impersonation.

Horatio Hellpop
04-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Did you catch Kristen Wiig's ass as Padma Lakshmi in Top Chef? That had to be a silicone prosthesis. Only in view for a split second, but so worth it!

Oslo Ostragoth
04-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Walken couldn't take his eyes off the cue cards for a second. Nor could the cue card guy, apparently, move to a position that would allow Walken to appear to be speaking to the other actors. I'm not saying it wasn't funny, just a little awkward.To me it's distracting. I was really looking forward to him hosting, but about 20 minutes in I wandered over to my computer and never came back. He's almost as bad as Fran Drescher.

The Controvert
04-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Did you catch Kristen Wiig's ass as Padma Lakshmi in Top Chef? That had to be a silicone prosthesis. Only in view for a split second, but so worth it!Wow, thanks. I hadn't caught that the first time, but so worth a slow replay. I also enjoyed the surprise party sketch, maybe because I'm in lurve with Kristen. The ending was laugh-out-loud funny for me.

Oslo Ostragoth
04-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Did you catch Kristen Wiig's ass as Padma Lakshmi in Top Chef? That had to be a silicone prosthesis. Only in view for a split second, but so worth it!Dammit, Hulu only has a few sketches from the show. Let's hope this one shows up on YouTube soon.

Mikemike2
04-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I was wondering what Walken was wearing for his opening monologue. He had on a nice sport jacket, very loose t-shirt and pants held up by an elastic band waist. I thought those pants might be some sort of pull away prop, or part of a costume for the next sketch. But that wasn't the case, maybe his Mom still dresses him.

control-z
04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Walken's eyes on the cue cards the whole time really bugged me. Is he too cool to memorize lines?

The laser cats were kinda funny, as were the googly-eye cactii (cactuses?) Gotta get me some of that.

tds1273
04-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow, thanks. I hadn't caught that the first time, but so worth a slow replay. I also enjoyed the surprise party sketch, maybe because I'm in lurve with Kristen. The ending was laugh-out-loud funny for me.

Damn, yet another reminder why I need DVR, but I really just wanted to reply to second your Kristen Wiig commment. She is wonderful.

control-z
04-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah I dig Wiig too. That surprise party sketch was a little lame, but she really did a good job, really played her part with everything she had.

Euryphaessa
04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I loved the surprise party sketch, although I'm not really a fan of the new girl. You know how sometimes they have the musical guest do a cameo and it sticks out because he or she just isn't an actor? I thought she was a musician when she first entered in that sketch. Now, mind you, I haven't been keeping up with the newer episodes so maybe my first impression is wrong, but she just doesn't seem as strong as the rest of the cast.

I also love Kristen Wiig and think she can do no wrong.

AlmondJoy
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
i laughed hysterically at the plant skit. does anyone know how to find clips from the show. youtube doesn't have them anymore?!?!

randwill
04-07-2008, 05:29 PM
i laughed hysterically at the plant skit. does anyone know how to find clips from the show. youtube doesn't have them anymore?!?!We're not allowed to give instructional details on how to acquire content via things like bit torrent, usenet or other P2P file sharing methods here.

Wee Bairn
04-07-2008, 05:32 PM
I'd be very surprised if the new girl is back next year- its been at least five shows I think, and she's done nothing to distinguish herself- I'm not even sure if she's been one of the main characters in a sketch yet.

Drunky Smurf
04-07-2008, 05:53 PM
i laughed hysterically at the plant skit. does anyone know how to find clips from the show. youtube doesn't have them anymore?!?!
NBC.com has a couple of the sketches.

ArizonaTeach
04-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I'd be very surprised if the new girl is back next year- its been at least five shows I think, and she's done nothing to distinguish herself- I'm not even sure if she's been one of the main characters in a sketch yet.Actually, she's been surprisingly active for a featured player. The blind date sketch with the guy from Superbad, high-profile parts in lots of sketches...usually featured people barely show up at all; she's done more than some full cast members!

Oh, and unless any of you were fans of Kristen Wiig when she was on The Joe Schmoe Show, then you're posers!

tds1273
04-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh, and unless any of you were fans of Kristen Wiig when she was on The Joe Schmoe Show, then you're posers!

Wow, I never realized she was on there; I do remember and did enjoy the actual show though.

You know, I never thought I would see the day when a reality-dating-game show(even if it is a surprisingly well done parody) would hit my Netflix queue, but damned if one is not on there now. Thanks?

Rubystreak
04-07-2008, 06:53 PM
No one else loved Laser Cats? Totally sober and yet I laughed hysterically and so did my husband at the idiotic hilarity. Walken's deadpan weirdness worked perfectly. And I loved the random appearance of Christoper Dodd.

tds1273
04-07-2008, 07:18 PM
I missed everything before the Walken Family Reunion sketch and can't watch videos at work, but was the Laser Cats a repeat segment or a 'next installment' type of thing? I seem to remember seeing such a sketch online a few months back. If it is what I'm thinking of then add me to the list of fans; however, I can not guarrantee that I was sober at the time.

Also, and again iirc, fans of that might also enjoy the Cartoon Network's late night Adult Swim show "Tim and Eric's Super Awesome Show. Great Job!"

Cat Fight
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
No one else loved Laser Cats? Totally sober and yet I laughed hysterically and so did my husband at the idiotic hilarity. Walken's deadpan weirdness worked perfectly. And I loved the random appearance of Christoper Dodd.

Like Godfather 2, the sequel was better than the original! And the Walken family reunion gave me a mini orgasm. Great episode, but how could it not be?

control-z
04-07-2008, 07:34 PM
NBC.com has a couple of the sketches.

http://Hulu.com has a lot of SNL clips, including ones from Saturday's episode. Laser cats FTW!

friedo
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I missed everything before the Walken Family Reunion sketch and can't watch videos at work, but was the Laser Cats a repeat segment or a 'next installment' type of thing?

It was new -- the third installment of Laser Cats to date.

I'm changing my name to Admiral Spaceship.

DocCathode
04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
"What would your last thought be? Mine would be, I knew all along."

I loved that sketch.

What Exit?
04-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I just caught the Meet the Family sketch on Hulu. It broke me up. Sorry to those that disliked this episode, but this one was excellent.

Thanks control-z

JHWT
04-08-2008, 04:06 AM
Like Godfather 2, the sequel was better than the original!

This statement is just so wrong.

Fourth Wall
04-08-2008, 04:57 AM
Saturday's show was the first time I laughed this season. Nobody has a delivery like Walken (except for possibly Kevin Pollak). Who cares if he's reading off the cue cards - he's just as funny whether he's memorized his lines or not.

Trunk
04-08-2008, 08:45 AM
For people looking for videos, NBC has a lot of them at their site.

That's without bit torrent or anything like that.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.