PDA

View Full Version : Hey, That's My Old House! Movies filmed in places you've lived

fessie
04-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Little Man Tate wasn't Jodie Foster's biggest hit, but I always get a kick out of the scene in Harry Connick Jr.'s apartment. I used to lived in that apartment building, it's called the Roanoke (aka The Roachanoke) and is located on Ludlow Street in Cincinnati.

My old apartment (first place I moved to after leaving home) was up on the third floor, I can see my front door if I don't blink.

Anybody else?

pinkfreud
04-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Both Weird Al Yankovic's UHF and Francis Ford Coppola's The Outsiders had scenes shot at this apartment house (http://www.mortalwombat.com/image/apartment.jpg), where I once lived.

Queen Bruin
04-05-2008, 03:10 PM
The final scene from Se7en was shot near my current home, as is a section from the upcoming Land of the Lost (I've got photos on the other computer of the set built out there). The final fight scene in Lethal Weapon 3 was shot at a housing development next to where I lived that went unfinished during the recession in the 90s. The boarded up and empty homes were set on fire for that scene.

Annie-Xmas
04-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I lived in Springfield, Massachusetts, the setting for the movie "The Reincarnation of Peter Proud."

elmwood
04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
The neighborhood where I grew up in Buffalo, Kensington, is a place that ... uh, has seen much better days. It's a big reason why my parents moved out in 1992.

The "seen better days" status was confirmed on one episode of COPS, where my childhood block was filmed from the front seat of a speeding police cruiser. Didn't see my house, but they came damn close before cutting away.

The Hamster King
04-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I live in L.A. so I'm used to spotting things I recognize in movies. For example if I went out on my back deck right now I could enjoy a beautiful view of Nakatomi Plaza from Die Hard.

Probably my favorite moment like that is in the old Batman movie from the 1960's. Early in the movie Batman and Robin are flying over "Gotham City" in the Batcopter and you can clearly see that it's actually Westwood (the neighborhood south of UCLA). A lot of the buildings on Wiltshire are still standing and it's really fun to pick out familiar spots I drive past every day.

astorian
04-05-2008, 04:38 PM
A lot of movies got filmed at the Astoria studios, just blocks from the house I grew up in. My little brother got Harrison Ford's autograph when he was shooting "Presumed Innocent" there. So, I've seen local scenery in a lot of movies and TV shows.

But the one I relate to most was the opening footage from "Archie Bunker's Place." I used to eat hot dogs at the Steinway Coffee Shop all the time, and there it was in every week's opening credits.

Lynn Bodoni
04-05-2008, 04:44 PM
"Logan's Run" used the Fort Worth Water Gardens (http://www.fortworth.com/01visitors/0104parksgard/010405watergardens/010405watergardens.shtml) as the background for one sequence.

EnginNerd
04-05-2008, 04:51 PM
The doctor's receptionist desk in Field of Dreams was actually the reception desk of the insurance company where my grandma worked at the time.

lissener
04-05-2008, 06:01 PM
This (http://slasherp.nexcess.net/htm/reviews/pit.php) classic of cheesy B horror flicks was shot at my highschool. It pretty well disrupted everything for a few weeks, but my English teacher got an IMDB entry out of the deal. The kid who starred in the movie was a real brat.

Kilvert's Pagan
04-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I was a student at Indiana U when Breaking Away was filmed there.

Due to the (very Greek) IU Student Foundation's heavy involvement in promoting the making of the movie, the producer had a hell of a time getting (non-Greek) students to work as extras - to essentially just come sit in the stands and cheer for the race. So all the crowd scenes are of the same section of the stands - the rest of the stadium was empty. As it turned out, of course, the movie ended up making the Greeks looking ridiculous. I wish we'd known... we could have used the bucks.

The swimming scenes at the rock quarry were also weird - we weren't used to seeing students there who had clothes on. :rolleyes:

StGermain
04-05-2008, 06:42 PM
When I lived in Minneapolois, I lived around the corner from the house that was the exterior location for the old Mary Tyler Moore Show. But it wasn't an apartment, it was in reality a single-family home. And the lake she walked around was Lake of the Isles, which I walked around (or across) to get to school every day. "You're gonna make it after all!"

StG

Beware of Doug
04-05-2008, 06:47 PM
My train station (which I live about 200 feet from) was in 2 movies, Falling in Love (1984, w/De Niro & Steep) and Unfaithful (2002, w/Gere & Diane Lane), although I think it mostly ended up on the cutting room floor in the latter.

Valgard
04-05-2008, 07:09 PM
One of my college roommates is from Woodstock, IL - where "Groundhog Day" was filmed. Years later it's still a big thing there - you can walk around the downtown square and see clippings in store windows, etc.

Whenever a bunch of us watched that movie he'd keep saying "I know that house! There's my barber shop!" and we'd swat him with pillows until he quieted down.

Good times. He's the town dentist now. Cool dude.

drachillix
04-05-2008, 07:17 PM
http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d9d41c7e-88a0-4bd5-b0f1-00b41af11aaf

Does the drum and bugle corps I was in being in a movie count.

Pixilated
04-05-2008, 07:33 PM
The Pioneer museum in my home town was the setting for 2 movies - My Antonia and Sarah, Plain and Tall.

My dad was one of the train workers in Sarah, Plain and Tall and the book was signed by Christopher Walken and Glenn Close. Unfortunately, my ex tore the book up in one of his violent tantrums =(

Ahhh, I spent many weekends at the museum and I loved riding on the steam train! Last time I went back I dont think the train was working anymore. That was my favorite part of the museum.

aruvqan
04-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Back in the late 70s early 80s General Hospital filmed the exterior of a house my family built in teh late 1800s and lived in until the late 60s, it was the haunted house [? I never watched the soap, or any other soap but so I have been told. That is sort of shy I am shady on the actual year, I found out about it a couple years ago, and really don't remember what year she said she saw it in.]

Sublight
04-05-2008, 07:50 PM
The Brinks Job (1978) has a very short scene that was filmed in Stoneham, MA, where I grew up. For a long time there the town square had a lot of WWII-era architecture, including an old style police box in the middle of the intersection, so it was used for some outdoor shots.

Most of the old buildings were torn down (the police box was destroyed by a drunk driver), but eventually people realized how awful '70s/'80s style architecture was and now the town square's been fully restored.

Oregon sunshine
04-05-2008, 08:20 PM
We live in the town where Animal House was filmed.

Fetchund
04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Beautiful Girls had a few scenes shot around the block from my old house. It was interesting to try to live in the neighborhood while they were doing that.

Colibri
04-05-2008, 09:23 PM
My apartment house is in the background in one scene from The Tailor of Panama. And I know a lot of the other locales very well. (I recently attended a meeting at the Union Club, the setting for one of the opening scenes.)

There is a brief scene in the neighborhood where I grew up in the Bronx in The Pope of Greenwich Village.

I used to live fairly close to Mork and Mindy's house in Boulder, Colorado.

Siam Sam
04-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Lots of shoots in Bangkok. Bangkok doubled as Saigon in Good Morning, Vietnam.

And again in Tomorrow Never Dies. That's Bangkok's Chinatown that Pierce Brosnan as James Bond is driving his motorcycle over the roofs of. And early on, there's a POV from the sky, showing the entire central portion of the city, and if you look closely on the river, you can see a Thai flag on a boat.

Up in the North, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai doubled as Laos in Mel Gibson's Air America. (I'm one of the few people who know the temples in the movie are Burmese style, not Lao. The movie was filmed largely near the Burmese border.) I was living up there at the time, and all of the airport scenes were filmed at Mae Hong Son Airport. I even met Mel Gibson at the time. But in the movie, whenever there are scenes of the Air America pilots sitting around in a room with the airport runway out the window, and all of this airport activity is going on, you can clearly see a jeep driving back and forth. The driver of that jeep was a mysterious fellow American of my acquaintance named Dave. Dave lived in Chiang Mai at the time and got on as an extra somehow. I'd seen Dave around before, and we'd even shared a few drinks together in the past in Mae Hong Son. He was always very quiet about he was doing there. I'd always pegged him as CIA, a drug runner or a fugitive, maybe all three! But then he shows up on the set of that movie. He said that was his job, just driving the jeep back and forth back and forth. Dave disappeared shortly after that. But for years afterward, the airport at Mae Hong Son kept around all of the fake bombs from the set around the airport. New arrivals must have thought the area was heavily militarized! You'd walk in from the plane, and they were stacked up everywhere, looking ready to be loaded onto planes. Then they built a new airport and got rid of them.

Boyo Jim
04-05-2008, 10:09 PM
The chase scene through the indoor mall in The Blues Brothers was shot in Dixie Square, in my home town of Harvey, IL. I had already gone off to college, but the story I heard was that the producers had agreed to repair the damage after shooting the scenes, but had skipped out of town and left the place a wreck. It had been closed down and abandoned some years before, though, so it's not like they destroyed a functioning enterprise.

Siam Sam
04-05-2008, 10:44 PM
P.S. on Tomorrow Never Dies: The fact that it's actually Bangkok's Chinatown is why all of the signs are in Thai and Chinese script and none in the Latin-based Vietnamese script.

cornflakes
04-05-2008, 11:32 PM
How to Eat Fried Worms was shot at my kids' elementary school. It was strange seeing the principal of that school as a old fart disciplinarian; the last two principals have worked to make the school fun and really good for kids.

neutron star
04-06-2008, 12:00 AM
The Harrisburg State Hospital complex used to be a mental hospital. Now the buildings are mostly filled with dull state workers pushing paper. It's where I work. It's also where Girl, Interrupted was filmed.

Beware of Doug
04-06-2008, 03:44 AM
How to Eat Fried Worms was shot at my kids' elementary school. It was strange seeing the principal of that school as a old fart disciplinarian; the last two principals have worked to make the school fun and really good for kids.That doesn't fly in the movies. All principals are old fart disciplinarians in the movies.

Sir Rhosis
04-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Been to the little restaurant down on Mount Adams that was used in "Rain Man." The place were Dustin threw down all the toothpicks or whatever it was. Been a long time since I saw the film.

Sir Rhosis

EDIT: I see I read the OP too quickly. He's actually looking for dwellings we lived in that were used in films. Sorry.

Zeldar
04-06-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm not from either place but have visited both and Asheville and Savannah both make pretty big deals of the movies that were at least partially filmed there. The B&B in Asheville where we've stayed even has VHS's of most of the movies filmed in the area, including Robert Mitchum's Thunder Road. The many that have been filmed (at least in part) at the Biltmore Mansion make up a large portion of those videas.

Savannah's pride in Forrest Gump and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil dominates the ones they brag on, but IMDB list oodles more done in that region.

It goes without saying, but I did in the thread I started on "movies in your area that are faithful to the area" which is in progress these days in Cafe Society, is that Nashville has over 300 shows and movies (including sports shows) listed at IMDB. However, they haven't made anything at any place (house or apartment) where I have ever lived.

NajaNivea
04-06-2008, 10:40 AM
We live in the town where Animal House was filmed.
Ditto.

Also, Paper Moon was filmed in the gorgeous farmland in Northern California around the small town where I grew up.

ShibbOleth
04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Been to the little restaurant down on Mount Adams that was used in "Rain Man." The place were Dustin threw down all the toothpicks or whatever it was. Been a long time since I saw the film.

That was shot at a crappy Italian restaurant in Newport, not Mt Adams. I think you might be confusing it with a different scene.

Sassy
04-06-2008, 02:58 PM
San Francisco has lots of scenes - nothing like walking around a corner to catch a bus and finding the street full of old cars and snow!

Golden Gate (http://imdb.com/title/tt0109917/maindetails) was filming right in front of my apartment the day I moved in. Oddly, they had the cable cars running the wrong direction.

Don Draper
04-06-2008, 03:21 PM
"Law & Order SVU" just shot several scenes around the corner from my office last Tuesday (that would be 5th Avenue, on 10th Street & 13 Street.) Aside= Mariska Hargitay is the tallest woman I have ever seen with my own eyes. She must be like 6'5".

Although I didn't actually live nearby at the time, I happened to walk by a movie set about a year & a half ago set near Bloomingdale's. It turned out to be "Cloverfield."

For ten years, I lived in an apartment on Manhattan's Upper East Side neighborhood, so virtually every Woody Allen film has a scene set within ten blocks of where I lived (not to mention hundreds of other films.."Midnight Cowboy", "the Fisher King", etc.)

The weirdest one to me though is a scene from the TV series "Sex & the City." There is one episode in which the four gals meet to go to a Yankees game. They meet & get into a cab on the corner of my block. I lived in the same place for all the time that the series was being produced and several years before it debuted. I never saw them filming that scene, or saw any type of the usual camera crew set-up they usually have.) I always wondered when they shot that scene.

AngelicGemma
04-06-2008, 03:54 PM
The internal cathedral shots for 'The Da Vinci Code' were filmed in Lincoln Cathedral. I was living in Lincoln at the time. The Cathedral was just up the hill from where I was staying.

BiblioCat
04-06-2008, 05:54 PM
In the movie Avalon, there's a 4th of July scene where they're at a pool. If I pause it at just the right moment, I can see the roof of my childhood house. We belonged to the pool where they shoot the movie, and went and watched them filming that scene. I think the scene lasts all of 2 or 3 minutes, but they were there for 2 or 3 days, all day and night.

Parts of Runaway Bride were filmed near my firehouse. There's a scene in a small church (where she jumps on the Fed Ex truck to get away) that's right down the street, and a house nearby was also used.

maggenpye
04-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Well, I grew up in the eastern suburbs of Wellington - so just about every Peter Jackson movie (except LOTR) is a trip down memory lane for me.

PJ was at a Sci-Fi convention just after Bad Taste came out, I wanted to go say hi and tell him how much I loved the movie but my boyfriend dragged me away, saying that PJ was just some hack horror/comedy fan and would never amount to anything. I hate that ex-boyfriend.

Ruffian
04-06-2008, 10:17 PM
The Bohemian Rhapsody scene of Wayne's World was filmed in downtown Covina, California, just a few streets from where I lived at the time. The same section of town was used in the TV show Roswell--it was pretty funny to go shopping and seeing the "Crashdown Cafe" with the big obnoxious UFO on it (and it was weird that the place looked liked a functioning restaurant--you could see the set tables, complete with ketchup bottles, through the windows--yet it had all these NO TRESPASSING signs all over it). Even funnier was just around the corner on an empty building was this HUGE neon green sign that said, "UFO Headquarters". It's a real head-turner when you have no idea a show is being filmed there--it's a real, "WTF? We have one of those in our town??" moment.

neutron star
04-06-2008, 11:00 PM
"Law & Order SVU" just shot several scenes around the corner from my office last Tuesday (that would be 5th Avenue, on 10th Street & 13 Street.) Aside= Mariska Hargitay is the tallest woman I have ever seen with my own eyes. She must be like 6'5".
Maybe your eyes were playing tricks on you because IMDB lists her as 5'7".

Siam Sam
04-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I watched a scene being filmed for Kickboxer (1989) on Khao San Road here in Bangkok. Jean-Claude Van Damme goes into a "boxing gym," which is actually a Khao San Road Hotel, and comes out again. There are two small children in front on the sidewalk sparring with each other. I think he tousle's one's hair, then walks away. The scene inside the gym was filmed somewhere else.

Mr. Miskatonic
04-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Two scenes from The Sixth Sense were filmed just down the block from where I live.

Trading Places was filmed a block away from where I lived when I was growing up.

They were filming something in the school a block away from my place just the other day.

Go four blocks from where I live and lots of things have been filmed in a certain defunct prison, including the institution scenes in Twelve Monkeys, a Dead Milkmen music video, several really badly done ghost shows, and many documentaries.

Not A Tame Lion
04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Parts of the Sandra Bullock movie The Net were filmed in Alameda, CA where I grew up. The sleazy motel she stayed in was the Linoaks Motel, which used to be a block down the street from my family's apartment. (It's gone now, replaced by a new city library.) There's also a scene where she's being chased and is running on a bridge, which is the Park Street Bridge, in the same part of town. I cross that bridge every time I go visit my sister (who still lives in the same neighborhood).

There have also been some movies that were filmed in part on the old Naval Air Station in Alameda, where I used to work for a brief spell. There's at least a scene or two in Star Trek IV filmed there (where the "nuclear wessel" is docked, according to Chekov). And I remember seeing the location where the freeway scene in The Matrix Reloaded was filmed; I was riding my bike on the old base and cruised by where they had built the freeway set, which took up probably a quarter of a mile on the old tarmac. It was all walled off, though, so there was nothing interesting to see.

Ruffian
04-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I forgot to mention--just last night, DeathLlama and I both had a "Hey! We know that place!" reaction to some headache medication ad (got distracted by scenery, so don't remember the brand). It's shot on a corner of Green Street in downtown Pasadena--you can see the bright red walls of Buca di Beppo's, and Design Within Reach is visible just behind the woman's shoulder.

The actress is sitting at an outdoor cafe, and we were both scratching our heads--we can't think of an outdoor cafe at that site. Of course, they may have just created one.

Oh...and the film Demolition Man was filmed at the old GTE Building (now Verizon, I think) in Westlake, California when I was working there as a temp. We had a crashed futuristic vehicle in the decorative pond at the entrance for over a week. Employees (even temps) got invited to watch filming...gotta say, it was pretty effin' boring. Same scene repeated about 10 times in 40min...not too interesting. And, as is often reported, Sly Stallone is indeed very short.

dangermom
04-07-2008, 01:27 AM
The Rocketeer was filmed at the airport in my hometown, where I worked in high school. My best friend's older sister bought about a zillion copies of the sticker book, because there was quite a good shot of her on one of them.

Junior was filmed at my college while I was there.

And that's about it for me. Except the 1938 Robin Hood was filmed in our local park, which is really obvious when you live here. There they are, riding through Nottingham Forest, only it looks just like home.

Siam Sam
04-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love (2000) was set in 1960s Hong Kong but filmed largely in Bangkok. The older Bangkok neighborhoods have that old Chinese feel, while Hong Kong simply does not look like Hong Kong anymore.

Tristan
04-07-2008, 02:57 AM
The town my wife grew up in had some scenes for the movie "War Party" filmed there.

This included a burning of the county seat, using a false front. Pretty cool.

Also, the Leonard Nimoy directed movie "Holy Matrimony" featured Traci's, a cafe in my childhood home town of Great Falls, Montana.

El_Kabong
04-07-2008, 04:21 AM
I was born and raised in Johnstown, PA, and was there (and participated in crowd scenes) while the movie Slap Shot was being filmed, but I guess it doesn't strictly fit the OP's description becasue none of the places I actually lived in were visible in the movie.

How about instead, these couple of slightly surreal experiences:

1. When I first started going to Paris on business, the company I worked for tended to put us up at a fairly shabby two-star hotel named the Kuntz (cue Beavis-type snickers), overlooking Gare de l'Est. One time I came through town and as I was traveling on the next day, got a hotel room at CDG airport instead. When I got to my room, I flipped on the TV and there was some kind of French detective show on. After a few minutes a scene comes up where the detective has to interview some criminal lowlife at a sleazy hotel, and so they show him walking into the Kuntz.

2. Last summer I went to Vegas for a wedding and stayed at the Luxor. The first evening I was there I happened to turn on the TV, and the very first thing that came up was an episode of COPS, with the very first scene (involving a half-dressed guy harassing traffic) shot about two blocks south of my location, with the Luxor's pyramid clearly visible in the background. In fact, I could just about see the location from my window.

Kyla
04-07-2008, 06:01 AM
A LOT of movies have been filmed in the area I grew up in Sonoma County, California. Like most movies in general, the majority are crappy and forgettable. The two you may have actually seen are Peggy Sue Got Married and American Graffiti. There's a scene in PSGM that takes place in a clothing store - that store really existed when I was a kid, but it went out of business when I was a teenager, and the town bookstore moved into that space. I worked there for a year and a half in my early twenties. It was funny to run across that movie on AMC and see my store on TV. The high school they used is Santa Rosa High, where I took my SATs.

The school in American Graffiti is my high school, Petaluma High. (Part of the movie is filmed in Modesto, where it takes place, but a large hunk of it is filmed in Petaluma.)

Peter Morris
04-07-2008, 07:05 AM
When I was at university I stayed (briefly) in student accommodation in a site several miles from the campus. Long before it became student accomodation, some parts of The Dam Busters was filmed there. Allegedly. It's something that everyone knew. I've seen the film, and didn't see anything I recognised.

Hypno-Toad
04-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Some scenes in Just Cause (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113501/) happen in a "courtroom" where I sometimes appear for my job. Various bosses of mine get to sit in Sean Connery's spot from that flick. But I doubt it's the same chair. The movie folks had to build a jury box for the scene since it's really the Chamber for the Board of Commissioners rather than a bona fide courtroom.

Fir na tine
04-07-2008, 11:09 AM
''Good Will Hunting,'' had many scenes filmed in South Boston, one prominent location was the L Street Tavern.

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were drinking beer and my son's apartment building was in the background.

Catamount
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I stayed at Harlaxton Manor (http://www.ueharlax.ac.uk/harlaxton/) while taking summer classes in 2006. You may recognize it as the exterior of Hill House in The Haunting (http://imdb.com/title/tt0171363/). The interiors were filmed elsewhere.

BurnMeUp
04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
The crappy little town in Utah where I grew up (Magna) was in the opening scenes of The Stand as one of the towns ravaged by the plague. it's the scene where all the army trucks come barreling in at the beginning.

The town I was born in (another little crappy town in MN, Hibbing) was used in The North Country. The high school was used in the high school scenes.

bump
04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Although I didn't realize it at the time, the scene where the car enters the freeway from "The Chase" with Charlie Sheen & Kristy Swanson was filmed about a mile from my parents' house in Houston while I lived there.

(in case you are curious, it's the Northbound entrance to the Sam Houston Tollway just north of Bellaire Blvd). The scene starts with them getting on there, and goes until they're roughly at Westheimer, then the scene switches.

Sampiro
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
The movie Mississippi Burning (http://imdb.com/title/tt0095647/), a fictionalized account of the Goodwin/Schwerner/Chaney murders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Civil_Rights_Workers_Murders), was actually filmed in the town of LaFayette [pronounced 'lah-FAY-it'], Alabama, and features in the background of some scenes an antebellum house (pic of the house today (http://picasaweb.google.com/J.Sampiro/HomeFolks/photo#5186389724564467074)) my family owned and lived in during the school year from 1969-72.

MovieMogul
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
The dorm I lived in for 5 years at UC Berkeley (first as a resident, then as an administrator) appears behind Dustin Hoffman--across the street--as he runs into the fraternity of Elaine's fiancee towards the end of The Graduate. It's on the corner of College and Durant two blocks south of campus.

pravnik
04-07-2008, 05:35 PM
The Scott Bakula movie Necessary Roughness (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102517/) was shot at my undergrad while I was there; I got a free sandwich for being in a football game crowd scene. I never got around to seeing it, but my mom swears my brother walks by in the background of one shot as clear as day.

Remember Independence Day? No, not that one: this Independence Day (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085724/). It was shot in a small town about 30 minutes away from my hometown when I was a kid. My 7th grade math teacher and a few other people I know had bit parts.

Prague, well...see for yourself (http://www.imdb.com/List?endings=on&&locations=Prague,%20Czech%20Republic&&heading=18;with+locations+including;Prague,%20Czech%20Republic). The first "Mission: Impossible" was shot around the time I was there, and seemed to make a concerted effort to show every single landmark in the entire city, with occassionally hilarious results. The new "Casino Royale" Bond film and "The Bourne Identity" were much more subtle. They also shot "From Hell" right around or right after I lived there. A few people I know got to hang out with Johnny Depp.

robardin
04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
The castle-looking "mansion" that is where the Holy Grail is kept in the Terry Gilliam movie The Fisher King is actually my high school, or rather, the abandoned armory in its courtyard.

It just so happens that I had taken a bus up Madison Ave. while they were shooting the movie (unbeknowst to me) and saw the addition of the staircase and other facades they had put on the armory to make it look like a residence while shooting the movie, and wondered what the hell they were planning on using that armory for now ("Did they sell it to a condo developer?"). Then I saw the movie in the theater about a year later and laughed out loud.

Satellite^Guy
04-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Snakeater (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100645/) was shot in Shediac, NB, Canada. I've never seen the whole thing, but I caught the scene where he's on the jet-ski type thing, and I recognized the bay as being at Shediac Bridge.

S^G

Max Torque
04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Santa Fe (where I grew up) has been in a number of films. One that springs to mind is the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie Twins.

Another Santa Fe location, St. Michael's Cathedral, appears prominently in John Carpenter's Vampires. My brother was married there.

Humorously, the movie City Slickers was shot not far from the county dump, where we used to haul our trash.

Captain Lance Murdoch
04-08-2008, 03:09 PM
The hotel I was married in is in Fargo. They have since renovated the heck out of the place, but in the movie all the interiors are the same as it was on my wedding day. It's a very odd little memento.

Jennyrosity
04-08-2008, 03:17 PM
This fairly dreadful film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagine_Me_&_You) was filmed almost entirely around the area I live in. It was worth watching for all the "hey, that's our local!", and "Oooh, we've been in that shop!" moments.

Cisco
07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
When we watching Little Miss Sunshine the characters drove right past the theatre we were sitting in, which is maybe 5 minutes from my house.

Diogenes the Cynic
07-03-2008, 03:31 PM
I know some of the shots filmed in North Dakota and Minnesota for Fargo. I know the general area where they filmed the scene in which Steve Buscemi buries the money in the snow. It was up north of Grand Forks. My mom was on the set that day, interviewing the Coen brothers. She was a reporter covering the filming that was going on locally, but she didn't really know who the Coen brothers were. To this day, she doesn't really grasp how cool it was that she got to interview them, or watch them film that scene. She told me about how they "kept putting fake blood on some actor." I was like, "Mom, that wasn't 'some actor,' that was Steve Buscemi. That was Mister fucking PINK." She has no idea.

MeanJoe
07-03-2008, 05:08 PM
The Monroeville Mall was just behind my home on Monroeville Boulevard when I lived in Monroeville, PA. Monroeville, Monroeville, Monroeville - fun to type and say in my head. Anyway, I spent far too much of my time as a pre-teen in the mall at the video arcade or ice skating.

The Monroeville Mall is the setting for the classic Dawn of the Dead. When there's no more room in hell, the dead go shopping!!

MeanJoe

Kyrie Eleison
07-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Most of Doc Hollywood was shot in Micanopy, FL, pop. 652, while I was living there. I still record it from time to time to scan through it and reminisce.

Catamount
07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
When we watching Little Miss Sunshine the characters drove right past the theatre we were sitting in, which is maybe 5 minutes from my house.
That sounds like the scene in Spaceballs where they watch the video.

"This is now now. We haven't gotten to then yet."
"When will now be then?"
"Soon."

JpnDude
07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Back in 1984, the "Twin Pines/Lone Pine Mall" scene from Back to the Future was being filmed at the local shopping mall, Puente Hills Mall.

At the time, I was 11 years old and didn't know about anything being shot nearby. Well, my mother and I were walking across the parking lot from the mall to the nearby bank branch. One the way, we saw several large trucks and some covered cars in a cordoned-off area. The two cars which were covered had the wheels exposed a bit and I noticed a distinct hub cap design. I didn't realize those were the Delorean time machines used in the film.

About 6-8 months later, I'm sitting in the movie theater on the other side of that same shopping mall. I was watching the film when Marty McFly makes it out to meet Doc in the parking lot. And guess what, there is our shopping mall! My jaws dropped in surprise and amazement. WOW! Our rinky-dink mall is in a big movie! It was a great moment for me.

GuanoLad
07-04-2008, 05:35 AM
The tiny fishing village (http://www.karitane.com/bigone.gif) I grew up in, for the first twenty years of my life, was used as a location in the Gwyneth Paltrow / Daniel Craig film about Sylvia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_%282003_film%29) Plath.

I haven't actually watched the film, but I recognised the beach rock formations in the trailer.

gwendee
07-04-2008, 06:27 AM
There have been a few Law & Order scenes shot in a diner I used to frequent.

I also used to go hear live music at a bar called the Bayou, in Mt. Vernon, NY. It was used as a location for one scene in a movie starring Ashley Judd -don't recall which, but it was especially odd to me because it was represented as being somewhere else, and nothing else in the movie was shot in Mt. Vernon, near as I could tell.

Since moving to Baltimore I've rewatched a lot of barry Levinson films, and Homicide: Life on the streets and recognize places but most of them aren't "my" places.

When Big came out I had a roommate who worked for the ad agency whose offices were teh set for the toy company. Apparently a lot of their actual employees were cast as extras. The fortune teller scenes were filmed at Rye Playland, where I've spent a lot of time.

Oswald Bastable
07-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Anyone remember the mid-90s British crime film Face (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119092/), starring Robert Carlyle and Ray Winstone, and featuring Damon Albarn ('im off of what's in Blur) in his first (and possibly only) film role?

Well, that's my house they come out of just before the big shootout in the London Street with armed police (I think it's actually meant to be Damon's house in the film) - in fact the whole shootout takes place around my local streets. I didn't live there at the time though - it was kind of a shock when this film was shown on late night telly a couple of years ago just after we'd moved in.

My local pub The Salisbury (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salisbury) also served as a location in the films, The Long Good Friday and Chaplin.

OB

Septima
07-04-2008, 09:49 AM
The movie Barbara (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118683/) was filmed largely in Tórshavn where I grew up. The outdoor scenes are mostly authentic, parts of the city really do look like that still. (The movie is set somewhere ca. 1760 if I recall corectly.)

Tapioca Dextrin
07-04-2008, 10:02 AM
If you ever have the misfortune to see Here We Go Around The Mulberry Bush (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063063/), you can see my front door. "My" front door is stretching it, as I was about 2 when it was filmed :p

cornflakes
07-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Slacker (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102943/) was shot around town. It seemed like almost everyone in it was a friend of a friend, but that's what Linklater was aiming for.

Valgard
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM
The dorm I lived in for 5 years at UC Berkeley (first as a resident, then as an administrator) appears behind Dustin Hoffman--across the street--as he runs into the fraternity of Elaine's fiancee towards the end of The Graduate. It's on the corner of College and Durant two blocks south of campus.

Famous blooper from that movie, Dustin Hoffman drives to Berkeley across the top of the Bay Bridge. The top deck is one way into San Francisco.

Anyhow, if you follow the road from your dorm up the hill past Strawberry Canyon you come first to Lawrence Berkeley Labs which was the setting for the lab scenes in the beginning of Ang Lee's "The Hulk", and then to the Lawrence Hall Of Science which was featured in "Colossus - The Forbin Project".

dalej42
07-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I saw Clueless in a theater in Long Beach, CA very close to the area where the end of the movie was filmed.

Siam Sam
07-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Thought of one more. At the end of Anywhere but Here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149691/) (1999), Susan Sarandon sees Natalie Portman off at LAX for her flight cross country. However, that's clearly the international terminal she's seeing her off at. The international terminal is big and wide and open, makes for a better wide-view closing shot, I guess, than the more closed-in domestic terminal.

(But the actual gate she goes through is somewhere else, because in the international terminal, the gates aren't right there at the front. You have to go through security and walk a long way.)

Jennshark
07-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Footloose was filmed at my highschool and the exteriors were in my town and throughout Utah Valley. I hung out with Kevin Bacon and SJ Parker before they were stars: woohoo!

It's kind of cool to come across the movie on cable (where it seems to be on twice a day) and revisit high school ca. 1983.

want2know
07-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Track of the Moon Beast (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075343/) was shot in and around Albuquerque, NM, including an exterior shot of St. Joseph's Hospital--where I worked and taught for a year. Funny thing is, I had seen it years before I lived there, so it was quite a kick watching it again on MST several years after I left NM and saying to Mrs. Know, "Hey, I used to work there!"

GingerOfTheNorth
07-04-2008, 10:27 PM
The school used as the Smallville school in the Superman movie (I think Superman III) is across the street from my parents' house, in Barons, Alberta. I honestly haven't looked closely to see if the house is visible.

Skywatcher
07-04-2008, 10:46 PM
The payphone scenes in The Hunter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080907/) were filmed in front of the gas station where we'd buy our Cokes & candy. Unfortunately, we moved across country the year before.

KarlGrenze
07-04-2008, 10:59 PM
They didn't go to Cuba for the scenes of Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights.

Nope, all those shots were taken around San Juan Puerto Rico (mostly, IIRC, areas around Old San Juan).

The street scenes of old poor Havana? Those seem like they were shot around Río Piedras, my neighborhood (a part of the San Juan municipality).

RachelChristine
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm from Huntington, WV, and the majority of We Are Marshall was filmed here. Matthew McConaughey's charachter's house is on the same street that I grew up on. There's a tiny little park across the street, which you can see in the movie, that I used to play in when I was little. My brother was actually living in a house just a few doors down from our childhood home, so he got to watch the scenes being filmed from his front porch.

The scene is kinda funny to watch for locals, because it shows people walking to the football game, but it's shot miles and miles and miles from the stadium (though actually only a block or so away from the real Jack Lengyel's house -- they couldn't get permission to use it).

It's fun to watch all the local places, and the scenes that I actually went to see filmed are really cool. The best part of the whole movie though, is a close-up reaction shot of two of my best friends! They got cast as extras playing faculty in a scene where there is a huge meeting, and one student bursts in to let them know about the protest outside, then you hear all these students outside chanting -- and it cuts to a nice closeup my friends looking at each other! We went to see the movie with them, so it was even cooler.

Siam Sam
07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Thought of one more. At the end of Anywhere but Here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149691/) (1999), Susan Sarandon sees Natalie Portman off at LAX for her flight cross country. However, that's clearly the international terminal she's seeing her off at. The international terminal is big and wide and open, makes for a better wide-view closing shot, I guess, than the more closed-in domestic terminal.

(But the actual gate she goes through is somewhere else, because in the international terminal, the gates aren't right there at the front. You have to go through security and walk a long way.)
Actually, this one was supposed to go in the "Movies Filmed Elsewhere Than Where They're Supposed to Be and Gone Comically Wrong" thread. :smack: :(

Clothahump
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Sidekicks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105402/) was filmed in Houston. Many shots of many places that I recognize. The waterwall at the tower shot was nice; I used to eat lunch there when I worked nearby.

I was an extra in that movie. I'm visible in a crowd scene for about a second.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.