PDA

View Full Version : Uwe Boll Responds to His "Fans"

Tuckerfan
04-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Boll, whom many consider the only director to ever make Ed Wood look like Orson Welles by comparison, has responded to the folks calling for him to stop making movies. (http://kotaku.com/377605/uwe-boll-responds-to-million-man-petition-look-im-not-a-fucking-retard)"I'm not a fucking retard like Michael Bay or other people running around in the business or Eli Roth making the same shitty movies over and over again," says Boll. "If you really look at my movies you will see my real genius you know, and if you go on May 23 on Postal you will see that I deliver a movie what nobody else delivered in the last 10 years, what is way better as all that social critic George Clooney bullshit what you get every fucking weekend."

Pretty infallible, but if it's not clear yet, Boll clearly illustrates that you're at fault, not him. "You have to really wake up and you have to see me what I am," he says. "I am the only genius in the whole fucking business. Goodbye."He's a bit full of himself, I'd say.

Argent Towers
04-09-2008, 05:57 AM
He's full of more than himself.

Hmm...

Actually, on second thought, he is full of himself.

Tapioca Dextrin
04-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Oh, Mr. Boll, You make us weep for the halcyon days of Ed Wood.

Tristan
04-09-2008, 06:53 AM
I would REALLY like to see him step in the ring again, now that folks can expect his behavior.

What a gigantic weepy open-sored vagina he is.

Tuckerfan
04-09-2008, 06:58 AM
I would REALLY like to see him step in the ring again, now that folks can expect his behavior.

What a gigantic weepy open-sored vagina he is.
Well, he's got about six films coming out in the next two years (http://imdb.com/name/nm0093051/).

Liberal
04-09-2008, 07:05 AM
I like Alan Smithee better.

Marley23
04-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Say what you will about Michael Bay, he appears to have a sense of humor about himself!

Neidhart
04-09-2008, 07:22 AM
As a director, he's a really good boxer.

glee
04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
I believe that anyone has the right to make bad movies. I don't like censorship much and certainly not on quality grounds.

Revtim
04-09-2008, 08:30 AM
I hear the tax loophole in Germany that resulting in him getting funding for all those "movies" has been closed, so that might be his last batch (that have decent budgets, at least).

joyfool
04-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Is it bad that I liked Heart of America? I mean, it was more than a bit overdone, but it still had a compelling enough storyline in our post-Columbine days.

Plus, he's apparently got a thing for Clint Howard. That's gotta count for something. Doesn't it? :)

Bosstone
04-09-2008, 10:15 AM
I believe that anyone has the right to make bad movies. I don't like censorship much and certainly not on quality grounds.The problem isn't that he makes bad movies, it's that he makes bad movies using existing game franchises. He gets the movie rights and proceeds to do a hack job, when someone else might have done better. If he came up with his own original pieces of dreck, that'd be something else entirely.

That said, I looked at his credits on IMDb, and I'm very puzzled. He's responsible for House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne, In the Name of the King, and the upcoming Postal, but I would have sworn he'd done more than that, most recently the Doom movie. I had thought he was responsible for more game-related movies than he is.

Marley23
04-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I believe that anyone has the right to make bad movies. I don't like censorship much and certainly not on quality grounds.
Boll's rights have nothing to do with this issue. Nobody has said he doesn't have the right to make his movies; they've said he shouldn't make them because they suck. I've got no opinion because the previews for his movies have enticed me to pay $8 for the privilege of seeing the whole thing. But he does sound like a jackass.

DeadlyAccurate
04-09-2008, 10:46 AM
That said, I looked at his credits on IMDb, and I'm very puzzled. He's responsible for House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne, In the Name of the King, and the upcoming Postal, but I would have sworn he'd done more than that, most recently the Doom movie. I had thought he was responsible for more game-related movies than he is.

I've seen Doom and several Uwe Boll movies (Bad movies + alcohol = fun). The Doom movie is goofy and over-the-top, but it's not anywhere near as bad as anything Boll has done.

GuanoLad
04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I had thought he was responsible for more game-related movies than he is.
Perhaps you're thinking of Paul W S Anderson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_W._S._Anderson#Filmography).

Terrifel
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I guess that the confusion arises because:

1. video game movies are bad

2. Uwe Boll movies are bad

3. Uwe Boll makes video game movies.

friedo
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess that the confusion arises because:

1. video game movies are bad

Hey, the Super Mario Bros. movie was awesome.

Tapioca Dextrin
04-09-2008, 11:27 PM
DNFTBoll

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.