PDA

View Full Version : Will Kevin Smith ever get the green light to film a Super Hero movie?

McDeath_the_Mad
04-09-2008, 01:40 PM
What do you all think?

Personally I think Smith is a decent director, granted he hasn't directed a "action" movie with a ton of FX or anything.

But I think he is one of a few directors (Nolan does as well as Rami to an extent)who actually "gets" comic book super heroes and his theatrical vision of a comic book super hero would be bang-on to what most comic fans would want to see.

MtM

BrainGlutton
04-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Dogma wasn't a superhero movie?!

lisacurl
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I think Kevin Smith's movies have been a victim of his own success. He seems to suffer from an inability to edit himself. I also think his Hollywood rep got spanked hard by that "Jersey Girl" movie (aka "the curse of Jennifer Lopez"). If this new film of his with Seth Rogen doesn't do well, he's not going to be handed any superhero movie any time soon.

Omi no Kami
04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Somebody actually asked him about making a superhero movie when he was speaking in (what sounds like) London, and his response is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PUIWI3p70) and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qOGBQ_SvJI).

GrandWino
04-09-2008, 05:05 PM
This is probably covered in those Q&A links, but Kevin was attached to direct a Green Hornet movie at one point, but after Jersey Girl tanked he decided to leave the big budget flicks to the pros and went back to making his type of small movie. He recognizes his limits as a director, which are many, and doesn't want to waste a hundred gajillion dollars of a studio's money filming Green Hornet and Kato making dick and fart jokes for two hours.

FriarTed
04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Dogma wasn't a superhero movie?!

Also Mallrats?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.