PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons 11/30: "MyPods and Boomsticks"

mobo85
11-30-2008, 07:47 PM
KABF20 Written by Marc Wilmore

Interesting premise for an episode, but rather dated. iPods and bigotry towards Muslims are still prevalent today, of course, but both have been around for a while now. Perhaps if the episode had been written a few years earlier- before Aliens in America started (and ended) its run, it might have been more timely and entertaining. And Homer's misconception is straight out of Three's Company. With all the jokes about the various aspects of Apple (I had no idea Jobs left the company at one time), I'm surprised there weren't any Pixar jokes- especially since some of the Simpsons staffers (like Jim Reardon) work for Steve's other company.

"Stupid angry mob chasing me because I shine a harsh light on modern society. Now I know how Dane Cook feels."

"Dad, these people are my friends! Don't fear them just because they have a different religion, a different culture, and their last name is bin Laden!"

Kozmik
11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
And Homer's misconception is straight out of Three's Company.Don't forget Bart of Darkness. Homer's in-your-face attitude reminded me of the Frank Grimes episode where Homer is all over the place, trying to be friendly, then resentful, then unusually motivated, obessive, then friendly.

I liked how Homer was extremely paranoid. It worked well for the timing of the ending of this episode.

Ponch8
11-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Did anybody else notice that two Apple commercials ran during the episode?

Marley23
11-30-2008, 08:54 PM
A better 24 parody then their 24 parody, which makes me wonder why they didn't do this episode a couple of years ago. This one was fairly funny and everything, but you knew how everything was going to turn out with Homer being wrong every step of the way. I liked what they did with musical cues in the spying scene, but it's not the first time we've seen that kind of thing.

Lisa's myPod subplot* wasn't that current either, but it was funnier. They did a great twist on the old Apple 1984 commercial and I really enjoyed the whole scene at the store.

*When did the show give up on making up new names for things instead of just changing one letter of real ones? Mulk, Mobbs, MyPod... that kind of joke doesn't do it for me.

cochrane
12-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I WILL NOT BRING THE CHALKBOARD HOME

I loved the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon.

I also loved them referencing Dan Castellaneta's voicework as the Genie in Disney's Alladin TV series.

And the deep-sea vessel that took Lisa to the Mapple headquarters was a USB drive.

cmkeller
12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Marley23:

When did the show give up on making up new names for things instead of just changing one letter of real ones?

Now, now, those are completely original creations, just like Rickey Rouse and Monald Muck!

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I just watched a Season 11 episode that showed a keyboard player playing a synthesizer labelled "MORG"...which is rather clever, since it works as a one-letter change of two different brands, Moog and Korg.

gotpasswords
12-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Poor Moleman, trapped in one of those sunken beer trucks...

control-z
12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
The Homer and the arabs storyline was very heavy-handed., but I did sort of like how they forced the plot a bit by having Homer only overhear the parts of the arab lady's conversation that sounded incriminating.

The Lisa and the Mypod storyline was pretty funny though.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.