PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Albums of 2008

SuntanTigerTamer
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey all.

It's pretty simple: post your top ten albums of this year.

Also, post what you felt was the worst album, and the most overrated.

1. Department of Eagles - In Ear Park
2. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
3. The War on Drugs - Wagonwheel Blues
4. Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
5. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
6. She & Him - Volume One
7. Santogold and Diplo - Top Ranking
8. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
9. The Walkmen - You and Me
10. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer

Worst Album
Guns & Roses - Chinese Democracy

Most Overrated
Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood

Your turn, GO!

Meltdown
12-01-2008, 01:43 PM
In chronological order, rather than in order of preference:

1. Vampire Weekend -- Vampire Weekend
2. British Sea Power -- Do You Like Rock Music?
3. Why? -- Alopecia
4. Los Campesinos! -- Hold On Now, Youngster
5. Sigur Ros -- Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
6. The Hold Steady -- Stay Positive
7. The Baseball Project -- Volume 1: Frozen Ropes and Dying Quails
8. Okkervil River -- The Stand Ins
9. Amanda Palmer -- Who Killed Amanda Palmer
10. TV on the Radio -- Dear Science

Worst Album (disclaimer: I don't think I heard any truly bad albums, at least not all the way through, so this is probably more like "most disappointing")
Weezer -- The Red Album

Most Overrated
Portishead -- Third

shy guy
12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
In no particular order...

1. Lady Gaga - The Fame
2. Lil' Wayne - The Carter III
3. Cool Kids - The Bake Sale
4. Hercules and Love Affair
5. Kidz in the Hall - The In Crowd
6. Giant Panda - Electric Laser
7. Moe Pope and Headnodic are Megaphone
8. Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded (technically a re-release, but it deserves to chart just for "Disturbia")
9. N.E.R.D. - Seeing Sounds
10. Nas & DJ Green Lantern - The Nigger Tape

*Edit: replace one of the albums on the above list with Then What Happened by J-Live.

Worst Album -

Like Meltdown, I don't think I listened to the entirety of an album that I thought was truly bad. If I'm going to go for most disappointing, I'll go with Hard Candy by Madonna.

Some catchy songs, but a lot of the lyrics are embarrassing, as is the whole hip-hop shtick she adopts.

Most Overrated -

I'll agree with Fleet Foxes. Don't really see the appeal.

woodstockbirdybird
12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
1. Cajun Dance Party - Colourful Life
2. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
3. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
4. Robert Forster - The Evangelist
5. James Hunter - The Hard Way
6. Seun Kuti & Fela's Egypt 80 - Seun Kuti & Fela's Egypt 80
7. The Indelicates - American Demo
8. M83 - Saturdays=Youth
9. The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
10. Times New Viking - Rip It Off

Worst Album
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

Most Overrated
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
or
Santogold - Santogold

woodstockbirdybird
12-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I could have actually done a top 15 this year and included the following:

Deerhoof - Offend Maggie
Foals - Antidotes
The Long Blondes - Couples
Los Campesinos - Hold On Now, Younster
Why? - Alopeica

...Don't even get me started on re-issues.

SuntanTigerTamer
12-01-2008, 03:08 PM
...Don't even get me started on re-issues.

First, I totally spaced Cut Copy's album. Replace Vampire Weekend with In Ghost Colours on my list. Good call.

And also David Bowie's Live In Santa Monica '72 deserves to be up there. Make it number 11.

Snowboarder Bo
12-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
Heaven Shall Burn - Iconoclast (Part 1: The Final Resistance)
Cataract - Cataract
Testament - The Formation of Damnation
Opeth - Watershed
The Haunted - Versus
Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring
Motörhead - Motörizer
Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh

I know that's only a Nifty Nine, but my funds were more limited this year than last.

Oh, and any "best of" list that includes any of the following may be ignored (and the lister should prolly be flogged):

Metallica - Death Magnetic
AC/DC - Black Ice
Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy
Dragonforce - Ultra Beatdown

msmith537
12-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I must be old. I only recognize the albums that sucked. (Although apparently not too old to appreciate the suckiness of them).

interface2x
12-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I can't really say that I bought ten great albums this year ... I really liked Death Cab for Cutie's "Narrow Stairs" but I liked them anyway so it was no big surprise. I liked the S/T Flight of the Conchords CD but I already knew all the songs from the show. The new Portishead wasn't really that great. NIN's "The Slip" didn't grab me outside of one or two tracks. I did really like "Move Forward" by KLOQ.

All in all, I'd say my favorite album this year by a mile was "Seventh Tree" by Goldfrapp. Though I have to asterisk it since, while it was released in February, I had a copy in November 2007. Still, nothing topped it for me. I love that album to little bitty pieces.

Sunshine and Smiles
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
These are in no order, and would almost certainly be different if I answered in a half hour.

The Black Keys - Attack and Release
Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cardinology
Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst
Margot & the Nuclear So + So's - Not Animal
Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On
Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter III
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
N.E.R.D. - Seeing Sounds

Most utterly disappointing:
Islands - Arm's Way

Most overrated:
Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

The Scrivener
12-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I didn't buy much new music either, but I really liked Elbow's The Seldom Seen Kid.

Justin Credible
12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I think I bought 3 albums this year.

1) Rush - Snakes and Arrows Live
2) Snow Patrol - One Million Suns (I think that's the title)
3) Kaiser Chiefs - Off With Their Heads

I was a bit disappointed with the Kaiser Chiefs album; it was okay, but nowhere near as good as their first two.

SuntanTigerTamer, is Jenny Lewis the chick from Rilo Kiley? The girl who was in The Wizard? I used to have a big crush on her when I was about 11, when that movie came out. I heard she was in a band now, but I've never heard them (or her).

Sir Not Appearing on This Site
12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I will have to add one of my favorites for the year was Glistening Pleasure by Natalie Portman's Shaved Head. :D

Oh, and another vote for Vampire Weekend.

ZebraShaSha
12-01-2008, 07:09 PM
SuntanTigerTamer, is Jenny Lewis the chick from Rilo Kiley? The girl who was in The Wizard? I used to have a big crush on her when I was about 11, when that movie came out. I heard she was in a band now, but I've never heard them (or her).

Yep. Personally, I think her collaboration with the Watson Twins - called Rabbit Fur Coat - is easily her best album, ever, with any line up. Acid Tongue is way better than Under the Blacklight and The Initial Friends EP is almost as good as Rabbit Fur Coat.

The last half of this year sucked for music. There's simply not a lot happening and I'm not entirely sure why, no one can figure it out. Since most of the major indie releases have been mentioned, here are a few more that people should check out that should be in the discussion for "best of 2008"...

The Evangelicals - The Evening Descends
Beach House - Devotion
Chad VanGaalen - Soft Airplanes
David Karsten Daniels - Fear of Flying
James Pants
etc, etc, etc

I'd have to add some more props to Crystal Castles. Even if they became indie darlings overnight, that's still a fucking awesome record.

Most Disappointing: My Morning Jacket, easily.

Most Overrated: Los Campensios, Eagles of Death Metal, Cut Copy, Girl Talk (+1000), No Age, and a lot of others I don't care to name right now.

Wost: Too many to count.

Oh, and, I do enjoy Fleet Foxes a bit, but you have to understand that it's yet another Brian Wilson/Beach Boys inspired harmonies derivative applied to southern/indie pop sensibilities a la My Morning Jacket. Just, less epic is all.

On preview: Yea, Natalie Portman's Shaved Head is one novelty-named band that is actually quite good. That one song is more infectious than almost anything else I've heard this year.

SuntanTigerTamer
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Yes, it is the girl from Rilo Kiley, a band I dislike a great deal. Her solo album is incredible though and a revelry in diverse musical styles. Definitely worth a listen.

Most utterly disappointing:
Islands - Arm's Way

I think I'm too big of a Unicorns fan to dislike anything Nick Thornburn touches. Did you listen to his album with Jim Guthrie under the name Human Highway? What were your thoughts on that?

woodstockbirdybird
12-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh, and, I do enjoy Fleet Foxes a bit, but you have to understand that it's yet another Brian Wilson/Beach Boys inspired harmonies derivative applied to southern/indie pop sensibilities a la My Morning Jacket. Just, less epic is all.

I actually enjoyed them a bit, too (though obviously not enough to make my top 10).

ZebraShaSha
12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I think I'm too big of a Unicorns fan to dislike anything Nick Thornburn touches. Did you listen to his album with Jim Guthrie under the name Human Highway? What were your thoughts on that?

What made the first Islands album and the only Unicorn album so great was that borderline psychotic energy that permeated every track. Every moment, even the slow times, seemed spontaneous, or at least were largely unexpected.

With Arm's Way, it seems they knew this, that an album that's a cornucopia of musical styles was expected, and so they stressed over it and produced the hell out of every last moment. Considering every single member (IIRC) went to music school of some sort, this is not a completely unexpected result, but it was definitely disappointing as an album. It was flat, dull, overworked, not at all catchy, and worst of all, it didn't seem like fun at all. Definite disappointment, especially considering it's some of the best album art of the year.

SuntanTigerTamer
12-01-2008, 07:38 PM
What made the first Islands album and the only Unicorn album so great was that borderline psychotic energy that permeated every track. Every moment, even the slow times, seemed spontaneous, or at least were largely unexpected.

With Arm's Way, it seems they knew this, that an album that's a cornucopia of musical styles was expected, and so they stressed over it and produced the hell out of every last moment. Considering every single member (IIRC) went to music school of some sort, this is not a completely unexpected result, but it was definitely disappointing as an album. It was flat, dull, overworked, not at all catchy, and worst of all, it didn't seem like fun at all. Definite disappointment, especially considering it's some of the best album art of the year.

I agree with all of the above, but somehow had the opposite reaction to the album. I thought it was the perfect step forward for them; over-produced, maybe. Or maybe they finally attained the level of production that the complexity of thier music deserves.

And, IMHO, "Kids Dont Know Shit" could have fit right in on Who Will Cut Our Hair When We Are Gone.

Palooka
12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Crystal Castles deserve much love.

Pendulum's In Silico was pretty terrible.

Freejooky
12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
1. Lil Wayne - The Carter 3
2. Magnetic Fields - Distortion
3. Mount Eerie - Dawn and Lost Wisdom
4. Starflyer 59 - Dial M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_GFfUBBQVw)
5. the Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
6. Cut Copy - In ghost colours
7. Portishead - Third
8. Boris - Smile
9. Max Tundra - Parallax Error Beheads You
10. the Foxglove Hunt - Stop Heartbeat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSJYv3WXtQ)

(links to things that I think nobody else probably heard)

Individual Songs of the Year: Minisnap - "new broom" (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=21915641), , M83 - "Kim and Jessie" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9yvItZAjfY)

Sunshine and Smiles
12-01-2008, 07:47 PM

I'll check it out, but essentially I agree with ZebraShaSha. It's like they made this incredible record, and then decided not to do any of the things that made it great on the next one.

DoctorJ
12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes, it is the girl from Rilo Kiley, a band I dislike a great deal. Her solo album is incredible though and a revelry in diverse musical styles. Definitely worth a listen.
Wow--I'm glad somebody else feels this way. I could count the Rilo Kiley songs I like on one hand, but both of her solo albums are brilliant.

I'll do a more formal list for my radio show's Year End Spectacular in a few weeks, but I expect these will be on it (in no order):
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!
Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
Drive-By Truckers Brighter Than Creation's Dark
The Knux - Remind Me In 3 Days...
Hercules and Love Affair (s/t)
She and Him - Vol. 1

Most disappointing:
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges. They played one of the best live sets I saw all year at Bonnaroo, but it's just not a very good album.

Not sure about "overrated". I'm confused by my inability to get into Fleet Foxes; on paper, it's like they were custom-built for me. I think I just wasn't in the mood.

woodstockbirdybird
12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Individual Songs of the Year: Minisnap - "new broom" (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=21915641), , M83 - "Kim and Jessie" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9yvItZAjfY)

Proof that I Am A Huge Geek:

Every year, I make mix CDs for my friends of "The Best Of" whatever year it happens to be. This year, I decided to do one a month (which I've actually done - got 11 discs so far). Both of those songs made the cut (as did songs by almost everybody mentioned in this thread, including some of the overrated ones) (even the ones I myself chose as overrated).

The Scrivener
12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Sorry for the slight hijack, but can anyone comment on whether The Republic Tigers' LP was solidly good, or more a one-hit wonder [their breakout single being "Buildings & Mountains"]?

woodstockbirdybird
12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I have a question as well: Lil Wayne fans, could you give me your recommendations for 1 song I should absolutely download from his album? I had reservations about buying it initially because I heard he used that shitty auto-tune on every song, just like the new Kanye West album. I can barely stand that effect when Bob Mould's using it, and I'm a fan of his from way the hell back.

SuntanTigerTamer
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a question as well: Lil Wayne fans, could you give me your recommendations for 1 song I should absolutely download from his album? I had reservations about buying it initially because I heard he used that shitty auto-tune on every song, just like the new Kanye West album. I can barely stand that effect when Bob Mould's using it, and I'm a fan of his from way the hell back.

One song from the new album? Either "Dr Carter" or "Amillie". I would say for sure "Amillie", but he uses a bit of auto-tune on it, so you may or may not enjoy it. I should say, however, that even though I was pissed enough about his use of auto-tune to start a Pit thread on it a couple weeks back, I still think "Amillie" is one of the best songs he's ever done.

Its three minutes of punchlines; one after another after another.

woodstockbirdybird
12-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Excellent! Thanks. I'll check it out. I can stand a bit of auto-tune, but a whole album of it is too much.

SuntanTigerTamer
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Excellent! Thanks. I'll check it out. I can stand a bit of auto-tune, but a whole album of it is too much.

Seconded. Hated Kanye's new one.

Freejooky
12-02-2008, 11:05 AM

Just so there's no confusion, people aren't talking about Wayne's The Carter 3 when they're talking about autotune - Carter was released back in June. The new mixtape,Dedication 3, was released two weeks ago and is the one with autotune on every track. Wayne has released like four records this year already, so don't mix them up. :)

That aside, if you want to check out highlights from the one that we're all nominating for album of the year, check out "Mr. Carter" or "Mrs. Officer," in my opinion.

shy guy
12-02-2008, 11:12 AM
So for those who have listened to Kanye's new album, is the first single a good indication of how the rest of it sounds? Because I can't stand it, and that's kept me from picking up the album.

SuntanTigerTamer
12-02-2008, 11:14 AM
So for those who have listened to Kanye's new album, is the first single a good indication of how the rest of it sounds? Because I can't stand it, and that's kept me from picking up the album.

Yup. Every single song.

Kanye West hates people who hate auto-tune.

Skip it. Send a message.

Cisco
12-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Jesus christ, not even 30 yet and I must be hopelessly out of touch. I've heard 0 albums in this thread and only heard of 2 of them - one because it's been all over the news.

Kurt
12-02-2008, 11:36 AM
The Rational Academy - A Heart Against Your Own
Jacaszyk - Treny
Economics - Economics
Children of the Wave - Carapace
Hurra Caine Landcrash - Unanswered Questions
Team LG - The Way We Do It
Psapp - The Camel's Back
Gregory and the Hawk - Moenie and Kitchi
Firekites - The Bowery
Rialto Decibel Choir - The Parade

I don't really know what's overrated/disappointing etc, but I know that despite expectations the Magnetic Fields, Qua and Squarepusher releases didn't get played often at my house.

msmith537
12-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Jesus christ, not even 30 yet and I must be hopelessly out of touch. I've heard 0 albums in this thread and only heard of 2 of them - one because it's been all over the news.

I suspect most of them are eclectic emo/indie bands that are only familiar to the kinds of kids who get beat up by kids who listen to Korn (or whatever kids who beat up other kids listen to these days).

HoboStew
12-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree with all of the above, but somehow had the opposite reaction to the album. I thought it was the perfect step forward for them; over-produced, maybe. Or maybe they finally attained the level of production that the complexity of thier music deserves.I'm right in the middle of you two. I thought it was good but not quite as good as their first album. Vertigo is an excellent song.

Good lists so far gang. The only shock for me here is the startling lack of love for MGMT. I don't have all my notes here, but off the top of my head:

1) MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
2) TV on the Radio - Dear Science
3) Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
4) Dr. Dog - Fate
5) Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
6) Indian Jewelry - Free Gold
7) Raveonettes - Lust Lust Lust
8) M83 - Saturdays = Youth
9) Islands - Arm's Way
10) Mates of State - Re-arranger

Song of the year:
Megapuss - Crop Circle Jerk '94

Biggest Disappointment:
Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On. Love these guys, loved Death by Sexy. This one just didn't do it for me.

Overrated:
Death Cab for Cutie is the heavyweight champ of this category.

Honorable Mention:
Apollo Sunshine - Shall Noise Upon
Evangelicals - The Evening Descends

SuntanTigerTamer
12-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I suspect most of them are eclectic emo/indie bands that are only familiar to the kinds of kids who get beat up by kids who listen to Korn (or whatever kids who beat up other kids listen to these days).

Or maybe it's just really good music that only a small percentage of the population has the time and desire to listen to and review.

Stick to your Nickleback, you small minded fuck, and quit thread-shitting.

Cisco
12-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Or maybe it's just really good music that only a small percentage of the population has the time and desire to listen to and review.

:eek: Whoa! Sounds like me defending the Voodoo Glow Skulls in 1995.

(except I wasn't wearing eye makeup :p)

NAF1138
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM

I was mostly staying out of this thread because I have been out of the scene for 6 months or so but:

It isn't even that small a portion of the population. In LA Indy 103.1 is one of the more popular radio stations, and MGMT, TV on the Radio, and Vampire Weekend shows are sold out by the time I hear about them.

Hell Pitchforkmedia.net is about as mainstream as Rolling Stone these days.

Anyway, thanks for the lists and the thread. I plan on gifting some of this music to myself for Christmas.

SuntanTigerTamer
12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
:eek: Whoa! Sounds like me defending the Voodoo Glow Skulls in 1995.

(except I wasn't wearing eye makeup :p)

Both you and msmith came in to this thread awhile back to post that you had not heard of any of these bands, except the ones that got shit on, I'm assuming, like G&R and AC/DC. No one jumped to the bait to tell you that posting "I've never heard of these" isn't helpful or even on topic, so mssmith, and then you, decided to get a little more blatant.

Why? What fucking purpose does it serve? Post your own top 10 albums fer christ's sake. How is it ok to come into a thread, say "I have no idea what you guys are talking about, so I assume it's for pussies." It's a piece of shit move, and no one here asked for it or deserved it.

Cisco
12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Both you and msmith came in to this thread awhile back to post that you had not heard of any of these bands, except the ones that got shit on, I'm assuming, like G&R and AC/DC. No one jumped to the bait to tell you that posting "I've never heard of these" isn't helpful or even on topic, so mssmith, and then you, decided to get a little more blatant.

Why? What fucking purpose does it serve? Post your own top 10 albums fer christ's sake. How is it ok to come into a thread, say "I have no idea what you guys are talking about, so I assume it's for pussies." It's a piece of shit move, and no one here asked for it or deserved it.What the hell is your problem? You need to get a grip, pal. "I must be hopelessly out of touch" = "I assume it's for pussies"?

SuntanTigerTamer
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM

1st: I'm not your pal.

2nd: This was the comment I was referring to.

Though your comment about eye-shadow wasn't as clever or sly as you may have thought.

Regardless of all that, if you have nothing to contribute, why are you still here?

Cisco
12-02-2008, 01:29 PM
It's called a joke. That's what the little "I'm goofing around" face --->:p means. Stop taking yourself so seriously.

SuntanTigerTamer
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Actually, I was taking you seriously.

It won't happen again.

:D

shy guy
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
ANYhoo...

Biggest Disappointment:
Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On. Love these guys, loved Death by Sexy. This one just didn't do it for me.
This is really disappointing to me. I love EoDM, but I hadn't gotten around to their latest. What didn't you like about it?

A shame about the Kanye album, too. I liked Graduation a lot.

This thread is reminding me of a lot of music I wanted to check out this year and didn't get around to. I do have to admit that I don't really get the Vampire Weekend love, though. All of my friends love them, and they just don't do anything for me.

woodstockbirdybird
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Good lists so far gang. The only shock for me here is the startling lack of love for MGMT. I don't have all my notes here, but off the top of my head:

For some reason, I thought MGMT's album came out last year - maybe I got an, uh, advance copy. It's definitely a good one, but a bit uneven, I thought.

Freejooky
12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't think that the Kanye album is as bad as people are making it out to be, as long as you accept it on its own terms - that is, as a melancholy electro-pop album with R&B flirtations rather than "the next Kanye West album." I do think the guy has been on a slow downhill coast since The College Dropout, which was an outstanding debut.

The run from "Paranoid" through "Streelights" is excellent - the latter song is almost guaranteed to be the indie rock crossover cover song of choice, and I'd put money on someone covering it within the next three months tops...I'm thinking Jens Lekman, maybe in a BBC session or something. The song is truly twee. Likewise, I'd put cash down on a microhouse or nu-rave or whatever they're calling it white-label remix of "Paranoid" to tear up the dance charts. And is it just me, or is "Robocop" totally a Harry Nilsson song?

SuntanTigerTamer
12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
For those interested, here are some of the more popular site's Top 10 lists:

Gorilla Vs Bear:
http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2008/12/gorilla-vs-bears-albums-of-2008.html

Blender:
http://stereogum.com/archives/yearend-list/blenders-top-33-of-2008_037601.html

Paste:
http://stereogum.com/archives/yearend-list/pastes-top-50-of-2008_037351.html

Uncut & Mojo:
http://stereogum.com/archives/yearend-list/uncuts-top-20-mojos-top-50-of-2008_038561.html

And Pitchfork has its reader poll open to vote.

Any thoughts on any of the above lists?

Meltdown
12-02-2008, 02:36 PM

Paste's designation of She and Him as album of the year (and its appearance in this thread) puzzles me a bit. I bought it, and I like it fine, but it just seems so...minor. Maybe that's part of the appeal (Paste's website felt the need to defend this decision, calling it a "tiny, flawless diamond"). I can't really argue with that, but for me a great album needs to grab hold of me on some visceral level that this one just failed to do.

I felt the same way about Fleet Foxes, by the by.

shy guy
12-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm a little surprised to see Girl Talk place so highly on two lists. I have the album, and I like it okay, but I wasn't really blown away. Maybe I'll give it another listen tonight.

Very much appreciated the write-up of the new Q-Tip on Gorrilla v. Bear. I've been on the fence about checking the album out, and now I think I will.

Kid_A
12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
1) The Walkmen - You & Me
2) M83 - Saturdays=Youth
3) Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster
4) Girl Talk - Feed The Animals
5) Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
6) The Constantines - Kensington Heights
7) TV on the Radio - Dear Science
8) Cadence Weapon - Afterparty Babies
9) Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
10) Portishead - Third

Tha Carter III should be probably be on the list but I haven't bought it yet. But I like what I've heard so far.

HoboStew
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
This is really disappointing to me. I love EoDM, but I hadn't gotten around to their latest. What didn't you like about it?
Just didn't have the flava of their previous efforts. The only song that grabbed me was High Voltage. The rest just seemed kind of bland, like they were either low on ideas or just going through the motions.
I'm a little surprised to see Girl Talk place so highly on two lists. I have the album, and I like it okay, but I wasn't really blown away. Maybe I'll give it another listen tonight.I felt the same way. Part of me feels people are more caught up in how he made it than what he made.

HoboStew
12-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Paste's designation of She and Him as album of the year (and its appearance in this thread) puzzles me a bit.Couldn't agree more, and I really like M. Ward. I'll concede that I probably need to give it a few more listens, but nothing about that album said Top 10, much less album of the year.

msmith537
12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Why? What fucking purpose does it serve? Post your own top 10 albums fer christ's sake. How is it ok to come into a thread, say "I have no idea what you guys are talking about, so I assume it's for pussies." It's a piece of shit move, and no one here asked for it or deserved it.

Sure, I'll post my Top 10:

10 Cafe Society - This Ain't No Place For Name Callin'
9 The Ciscos - I'm Not Your Pal, Chief
8 Emo! At The Straightdope! - I don't know any of these bands
7 David Cook - David Cook
6 Nickleback - Why Does Everyone Make Fun of Nickleback?
5 Angry Indie Rock Guy - I Take Myself Too Seriously
4 The Goofy Smiley Faces - We Can Say What We Like And it Makes it OK:p
3 High School Musical 3 - Various
2 Nickelback - Dark Horse
1 The SuntanTigerTamers - I Need To Calm The Fuck Down When Someone Makes A Joke About My Selection of Music on a Message Board And Not Take It As A Personal Affront to My Very Existence

Ludovic
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
8 Emo! At The Straightdope! - I don't know any of these bands

That's SO 2007. Emo at the Straightdope lost the exclamation point a long time ago...geesh!

woodstockbirdybird
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm a little surprised to see Girl Talk place so highly on two lists. I have the album, and I like it okay, but I wasn't really blown away. Maybe I'll give it another listen tonight.

Very much appreciated the write-up of the new Q-Tip on Gorrilla v. Bear. I've been on the fence about checking the album out, and now I think I will.

You should definitely check it out. If you're a Tribe fan, you most likely won't be disappointed.

Captain Lance Murdoch
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Who is Nickleback?

Only partly kidding. I've heard of them many times, but I don't know any of their music. At any rate, I have a month more to go before I put a list up.

Ludovic
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Think Creed, but 25% more angsty. Or Pearl Jam but with 50% less talent (and I don't like PJ)

ZebraShaSha
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
For those interested, here are some of the more popular site's Top 10 lists:

Gorilla Vs Bear:
http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2008/12/gorilla-vs-bears-albums-of-2008.html

Blender:
http://stereogum.com/archives/yearend-list/blenders-top-33-of-2008_037601.html

Paste:
http://stereogum.com/archives/yearend-list/pastes-top-50-of-2008_037351.html

Uncut & Mojo:
http://stereogum.com/archives/yearend-list/uncuts-top-20-mojos-top-50-of-2008_038561.html

And Pitchfork has its reader poll open to vote.

Having listened to 90% of every album on these lists, I have to say they are all shit. The worst is Blender, but Uncut and Paste are pretty bad, too. Gorilla vs. Bear is harder for me cause I've only listened to maybe 60% of the albums, as they are mostly UK based, but it only seems cursory and doesn't really expand on what decent albums were out there this year.

Of course, that has a lot to do with selection of albums this year. There were some great moments, but compared to last year, or 2004? Not even close. So for me, the Top 10 of 2008 means bollocks, since none really seem to reach for Top 10of All Time.

(They are also heavily, heavily influenced by the indie marketing machine which is also slightly disappointing.)

msmith537
12-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Who is Nickleback?

Only partly kidding. I've heard of them many times, but I don't know any of their music. At any rate, I have a month more to go before I put a list up.

You just think you heard them because so many bands sound like Nickleback.

If it makes anyone feel better (and by "anyone" I mean "SuntanTigerTamer"), I think I'll probably check out some of the bands mentioned. I don't think I downloaded enough full albums from 2008 to actually compose a top ten list.

Captain Lance Murdoch
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Who is Nickleback?

That's pretty much what I figured.

HoboStew
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Having listened to 90% of every album on these lists, I have to say they are all shit. The worst is Blender, but Uncut and Paste are pretty bad, too. Gorilla vs. Bear is harder for me cause I've only listened to maybe 60% of the albums, as they are mostly UK based, but it only seems cursory and doesn't really expand on what decent albums were out there this year.I thought Paste had a decent list, the albums were just way out of order :D

IMO, the problem with the lists from magazines is they are all an amalgamation of a bunch of people's opinions, so they never have a clear voice and it shows. I'd be much more interested to read the lists broken down by category. How can you really say that Kanye West's album was better or worse than MGMT?

And I just remembered another candidate for most overrated: Chemical Chords by Stereolab. How this band continues to get critical praise is beyond me. Their songs all range from forgettable to annoying.

Cluricaun
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Not that it's exactly new music, but any top ten list this year would be sadly wanting if it didn't include the brain melting awesomeness of Just Look Them Straight In The Eye And Say...Pogue Mahone (http://www.tower.com/just-look-them-straight-in-eye-say-pogue-pogues-cd/wapi/112124727). Box sets can be middle of the road or downright boring sometimes, but aside from a few flyers there is some incredible stuff on there.

woodstockbirdybird
12-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Not that it's exactly new music, but any top ten list this year would be sadly wanting if it didn't include the brain melting awesomeness of Just Look Them Straight In The Eye And Say...Pogue Mahone (http://www.tower.com/just-look-them-straight-in-eye-say-pogue-pogues-cd/wapi/112124727). Box sets can be middle of the road or downright boring sometimes, but aside from a few flyers there is some incredible stuff on there.

That's one of the ones I was thinking about upthread when I said "Don't even get me started on re-issues". The Replacements, New Order, La's, Jesus & Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine re-issues are worthwhile, as well.

C K Dexter Haven
12-02-2008, 04:45 PM
CRACK!!! ::: Moderator breaks vinyl record for attention :::

OK, I'm getting to this several hours too late, and the thread has moved on, but... < shrug > better late than etc.

SuntanTigerTamer: If you think someone is thread-shitting, the proper response is to hit the REPORT button (little ! in red triangle in upper right corner of thread) and let the moderators handle it. Throwing around accusations of thread-shitting and indulging in personal insults are NOT appropriate behaviors, and you know it. Restrain and refrain. Please don't do this again.

Also, I think you are misreading (and certainly paraphrasing poorly.) Both Cisco and msmith537 said something along the line of "I must be old and out-of-touch." That's not saying anything derogatory about those who are young-minded or in-touch. It's self-awareness, and reasonably appropriate comments. I don't think that's thread-shitting.

The thread-shitting has been the totally gratuitous asides and snipes at each other, and those will stop NOW on all sides.

Cluricaun
12-02-2008, 04:50 PM
CRACK!!! ::: Moderator breaks vinyl record for attention :::

That had better have been Manilow man.

ZebraShaSha
12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I thought Paste had a decent list, the albums were just way out of order :D

IMO, the problem with the lists from magazines is they are all an amalgamation of a bunch of people's opinions, so they never have a clear voice and it shows. I'd be much more interested to read the lists broken down by category. How can you really say that Kanye West's album was better or worse than MGMT?

And I just remembered another candidate for most overrated: Chemical Chords by Stereolab. How this band continues to get critical praise is beyond me. Their songs all range from forgettable to annoying.

Any Top 50 of 2008 that includes Death Cab, My Morning Jacket, Mates of State, The Hold Steady, REM, and a few others simply isn't credible. I could possibly see The Hold Steady, even though it's completely not my thing, but Death Cab, MMJ, REM, and Mates of State are on there through name recognition only.

Another album that's on right now that's pretty superb but isn't gaining widespread coverage is Fucked Up's Chemistry of Common Life. Almost anytime a hardcore record can gain widespread attention among indie kids (Milo Goes to College, Rise Above, Zen Arcade, etc) is something special indeed.

HoboStew
12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Any Top 50 of 2008 that includes Death Cab, My Morning Jacket, Mates of State, The Hold Steady, REM, and a few others simply isn't credible. I could possibly see The Hold Steady, even though it's completely not my thing, but Death Cab, MMJ, REM, and Mates of State are on there through name recognition only.

Another album that's on right now that's pretty superb but isn't gaining widespread coverage is Fucked Up's Chemistry of Common Life. Almost anytime a hardcore record can gain widespread attention among indie kids (Milo Goes to College, Rise Above, Zen Arcade, etc) is something special indeed.So much for my list then, because I liked the new Mates of State. I agree with your other mentions, but I found the MoS album very solid. None of the songs would make my top 10 of the year, but very few dogs. The title track regularly gets stuck in my head, too.

I just picked up the F'd Up's album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Heard good things tho, and its been a while since I've heard a good hardcore album so I will definitely listen with interest.

woodstockbirdybird
12-02-2008, 05:43 PM
So much for my list then, because I liked the new Mates of State. I agree with your other mentions, but I found the MoS album very solid. None of the songs would make my top 10 of the year, but very few dogs. The title track regularly gets stuck in my head, too.

I just picked up the F'd Up's album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Heard good things tho, and its been a while since I've heard a good hardcore album so I will definitely listen with interest.

I agree on the Mates of State album, too - I actually thought it was one of their most solid releases. I thought the R.E.M. album was even decent, though undoubtedly that's because I was comparing it to their last few (Five? Seven?) shit-storms.

I, as well, just got the Fucked Up album, and am excited to listen to it. I think the last supposedly hardcore punk album I got was "The Shape of Punk To Come" by Refused, which was pretty good, but a lot closer to metal than punk IMO.

ZebraShaSha
12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree on the Mates of State album, too - I actually thought it was one of their most solid releases. I thought the R.E.M. album was even decent, though undoubtedly that's because I was comparing it to their last few (Five? Seven?) shit-storms.

I, as well, just got the Fucked Up album, and am excited to listen to it. I think the last supposedly hardcore punk album I got was "The Shape of Punk To Come" by Refused, which was pretty good, but a lot closer to metal than punk IMO.

Be forewarned: It's very, very Husker Du. If you like them, you'll probably love it.

woodstockbirdybird
12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Be forewarned: It's very, very Husker Du. If you like them, you'll probably love it.

If you look at my e-mail address in my contact info, I think you'll see I am indeed a huge Husker Du fan. That's pretty much all the recommendation I need.

Hodge
12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Be forewarned: It's very, very Husker Du. If you like them, you'll probably love it.That just sold me. I'd been hearing a few good things about this album but was kind of non-committal about checking it out. However, I freaking love Husker Du and think that they, along with Killing Joke and The Replacements, were one of the best bands of the '80s.

This last year was kind of blah for me, partly because I wasn't really excited about many new releases and partly because I just bought a house so I've been really careful about my entertainment spending. Having said that, here's my list, in no particular order: TV on the Radio - "Dear Science" (contender for my favourite. These guys are awesome)
The Raconteurs - "Consolers of the Lonely" (kinda disappointed nobody else has mentioned them yet)
Patricia Barber - "The Cole Porter Mix" (for lovers of sparse, cerebral jazz interpretations only)
Eagles of Death Metal - "Heart On" (I think they're starting approach party rock with a bit more seriousness now, which might explain some people's disappointment)
Portishead - "Third" (The weakest of their 3 studio albums, but still pretty damn good)
Stanton Moore - "Emphasis! (On Paranthesis)" (kick-ass New Orleans-style afro-funk)Actually, I can only really come up with the above 6 that really excited me this year. I was going to list Yeasayer's magnificient "All Hour Cymbals" but it turns out it was released in 2007.

Disappointments: Mogwai, Destroyer, Islands.

Most over-rated: Vampire Weekend. Seriously, what the hell is the appeal? The massive acclaim really baffles me, here.

woodstockbirdybird
12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Just to let people know: some of the albums mentioned here are available for download from Amazon.com for $5 each (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dmusic/1252438011) (including the Lil Wayne, which I just bought).

Cluricaun
12-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Just to let people know: some of the albums mentioned here are available for download from Amazon.com for $5 each (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dmusic/1252438011) (including the Lil Wayne, which I just bought).

Wow, that's really cool. And they do that over every Friday? There's a little something for the favorites list.

DoctorJ
12-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I've been a defender of REM's Accelerate. It's best to think of it not as a return to the glory of Document or Automatic for the People but as a successful take on what they've unsuccessfully been trying to do since New Adventures in Hi-Fi (their last album I liked). It has an energy they've been lacking at least since Bill Berry left. Certainly not in my top 10, but easily in my top 50.

Stay Positive is The Hold Steady's weakest album, with a lot of huge missteps. (Harpsichord? Really?) But I'm such a big fan that the bad parts couldn't kick it out of my top 10.

HoboStew
12-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Upon further review, here are some more awards for the year:

Biggest Surprise:
Negativland - Thigmotactic This is a band I have heard of over the years but never really listened to. Came up on this album and was totally caught off guard. For some reason I had them logged in my brain as a noise band a la Einsturzende Neubaten, but now I realize they are much closer to Ween. This album totally caught me off guard and I love it.

Biggest Letdown During My First Listen:
Megapuss - Surfing After I heard the first song on the album, I was ready for the best album of the decade. Didn't happen.

Best Band No One is Talking About:
OK they didn't have an album this year, but I saw Bishop Allen again a couple weeks ago and am still surprised they aren't getting a bigger buzz. Their songwriting is as good as anyone out there.

Best Album That I Would Have Liked 10 Times Better Had I Heard it 10 Years Ago:
The Cute Lepers - Can't Stand Modern Music Solid, catchy pop-punk.

Ambient Album of the Year:
Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline OK it was also the only one I heard all year, but it was fantastic. BTW I mean Brian Eno-ambient not techno-ambient. It annoys me just a little that I have to clarify that.

Best Rap/Hip-Hop Album that isn't Rap/Hip-Hop but for Some Inexplicable Reason got Labeled that Way:
Alias - Resurgam This is a fantastic electronic dance album, but for some reason Allmusic has it listed as"Underground Rap/Left Field Hip-Hop. Go figure.

Best Album I Liked Despite My Best Efforts:
Ladytron - Velocifero For reasons I can't really explain, I never really wanted to give this album a chance. Despite that, I rather like it. Not many albums can overcome that kind of prejudice on my part.

Best Album that I Can't Quite Explain Why It Is So Good:
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles I just can't exactly put my finger on what is so satisfying about this album. There is something about the production quality that just makes it sound so rich, it oozes through my eardrums like butter. I'm sure someone more savvy about the music tech side can explain it better.

Albums that I Might Like More 2 Years From Now:
Rafter - Sex Death Cassette
Tilly and the Wall - O
Cheap Time - Cheap Time
Electric Six - Flashy

That will do for now.

Shamozzle
12-03-2008, 12:31 AM
What, no Gnarles Barkley?

Weak, people.

HoboStew
12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
One last one:

TOP 10 SONGS OF THE YEAR

10) Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
Say what you want. It's an almost flawlessly constructed pop song. You WISH you could write something this catchy.

9) MGMT - Kids
Two songs on my top 10 are why MGMT was album of the year for me. It is, as mentioned earlier, somewhat uneven.

8) Vampire Weekend - M79
If ever a band was damaged by it's own hype, this is the band. Look past that though, and you will find a well crafted album. This song lodged itself into my brain for a solid month.

7) TV On The Radio - Golden Age
Blew me away from first listen.

6) Raveonettes - Hallucinations
Ditto.

5) MGMT - Time to Pretend
Re-Ditto.

4) Islands - Vertigo
I love their songwriting style.

3) Flight of the Conchords - Think About It
Gotta throw some love to FotC, even tho I don't feel enough credit is given to Tencacious D for paving their way. Cant wait for season 2 premiere.

2) The Fratellis - A Heady Tale
Creators of my 2k7 album of the year couldn't match the quality of Costello Music, but this song is as good as any on their first album and gives me hope for their future.

1) Megapuss - Crop Circle Jerk '94 -
The #1 Song I Wish I Could Karaoke for 2008.

Monkey Chews
12-03-2008, 07:14 AM
1. Dear Science - TV On The Radio
2. Funplex - The B-52's
3. Volume One - She & Him
4. Havilah - The Drones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYjDPlebNT8)
5. A Mouthful - The Do
6. I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too - Martha Wainwright
7. Oracular Spectacular - MGMT
8. Rattlin' Bones - Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpVcOodfGKE)
9. Heretic Pride - The Mountain Goats
10. Dig, Lazaris, Dig!!! - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Plus I loved, loved, loved the albums by Death Cab For Cutie, Portishead, The Last Shadow Puppets, Goldfrapp, St Vincent, Billy Bragg, Joan As Police Woman, Augie March (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99NW9nHuN50), Kings Of Leon, Sparkadia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_F8r08w1E), Spiritualized, Amanda Palmer, The Presets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ufW2INWmM), Delta Spirit, End Of Fashion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quXvepuF91I), The Grates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPtke544bE), Hercules & Love Affair, and Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bawDFY8G-o4)

With some links there to promote some local Aussie talent. Get it up ya!

Monkey Chews
12-03-2008, 07:18 AM
OK they didn't have an album this year, but I saw Bishop Allen again a couple weeks ago and am still surprised they aren't getting a bigger buzz. Their songwriting is as good as anyone out there.Totally agreed. The Broken String is about as perfect an album I've ever had the joy to listen to. (Repeatedly. Very, very repeatedly. I've got everyone at work hooked on them as well now... possibly just through sheer bloody-minded repetition, but still)

Meltdown
12-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Most over-rated: Vampire Weekend. Seriously, what the hell is the appeal? The massive acclaim really baffles me, here.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I first picked up the CD after reading a few good reviews, but before the hype machine was in full swing. And what immediately struck me was how it came at such odd angles. You had the clean, poking rhythm section up high in the mix, like you were listening to The Feelies 20 years ago. And then you had the charming, vaguely exotic-sounding melodies. But on top of that you had lyrics from white kids from affluent backgrounds who weren't trying to pretend that they weren't white kids from affluent backgrounds -- honest and witty to boot ("Walk to class / In front of ya / Spilled kefir / On your keffiyah" -- what's not to love?)

All of this was good, and made for an unexpectedly enjoyable listen. But what really got to me, and what elevated this to Top 10 status, was just how damn catchy the songs were. They stayed in my head for days and days, and without the annoying quality you usually associate with such ear worms. I caught myself singing "Oxford Comma" to myself when no one was around with a big goofy grin on my face.

The album just made me happy, in ways I'm probably not explaining too well. But that's one of the great things about music -- it hits different people in different ways.

Justin_Bailey
12-03-2008, 08:32 AM
I love extreme music fans. They'll get pissed at you if you've never heard of their favorite ridiculously obscure band and they'll get pissed at you for making their favorite ridiculosuly too popular.

I'm not even sure I've listened to 10 albums in 2008, but here's what I got...

Liked
Alanis Morissette - Flavors of Entanglement
Ben Folds - Way to Normal
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Counting Crows - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
Weezer - The Red Album

Alright, Nothing Special
Emiliana Torrini -Me and Armini

Meh
Toadies - No Deliverance

Kid_A
12-03-2008, 08:42 AM
The album just made me happy, in ways I'm probably not explaining too well.
+1. It makes me smile, it's catchy, and it's fun. It fills the void that Weezer used to have in my head.

Ludovic
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM
I also don't know if I've heard 10 new albums in 2008, so I'll just list new albums I got in order of how much I like them even if some of them were from 2007. Since those that are from 2007 were still on their tours in support of those albums, they still count :)

1) A Different Light - Sherwood. The best compressed pop-punk I've heard. I'll give them a pass on the audio compression since they are on freakin' MySpace records :)
2) Pretty. Odd. - Panic at the Disco. Changing their sound to more of a fuller, symphonic sound would normally mean I would drop them like a hot Madonna*, but the singing is still so good that I listened to it long enough for the album to grow on me. Claiming that they're "still the same" on the opening track is a bit deceiving, though, although We're Still Starving is admittedly itself much like AFYCSO.
3) Underdog Alma Mater - Forever the Sickest Kids. Slightly too much hip-hoppy and non-traditional beats to be the number one pick, but "Catastrophe" would feel at home on early 90's college radio.
4) New Surrender - Anberlin. Listenable but much the same as Cities, with the standout of Ex Malo Bonum: not so much a breakaway song from their earnest piano-driven songs and guitar riffs of Cities as a synthesis of the two into one epic song of Armageddon.
5) Narrow Stairs - Death Cab for Cutie. The songs are well-written, but mostly only caught my ear on the first listen, much like neo-folky adult progressive. But "No Sunlight" makes this album worth it for me, as I do not have access to high speed internet to only buy a song at a time.

* the first artist I could think of who abuses trends, kicks them into the dirt and buries them. I mean, why does every freakin' emo artist suddenly decide that what they really wanted to be all along is the next Queen, Rush, or Beatles?

Sequent
12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
When I read this thread, I thought, How sad it is that I don't know 95% of the artists here, to say nothing of the albums in particular. I couldn't even name ten albums released in 2008. And I call myself a musician...oy. So I decided to stop whining and start listening...after all, I can think of a handful of songs that are now favorites of mine after having been introduced to them via the SDMB ("Sweet Ones" by Sarah Slean and "Nothing But Flowers" by Talking Heads come to mind).

This is a daunting undertaking. I spent two hours on youtube and itunes just listening, and I've only made it through a handful of the artists mentioned. The main issue is knowing which songs to listen to from each album, or from the artist in general, if I've never heard them before. I try to start with the songs that are the most popular, since getting hooked on one tune will generally motivate a closer listen to the others. But the popular ones aren't always representative, nor are they always the best. (I've yet to go through the songs posted by HoboStew, but looking forward to it).

So far I have two new albums on my must-buy list:

Vampire Weekend: I'd heard of them but had been resisting. But it seems this one made everybody's top five, and fifty gazillion Elvis fans can't be wrong. The song that hooked me was "Kids Don't Stand a Chance"

Jenny Lewis (Acid Toungue): I just want to say it should be illegal to be both that hot and that talented. The song that got me was "Next Messiah"

This is all by way saying thanks to everyone for sharing. I think I'm like a lot of people, who, as they get older, tend to fall back more on time-tested music they already know and love. There is so much great new music out there, and it's all so accessible in our modern world.

ZebraShaSha
12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
When I read this thread, I thought, How sad it is that I don't know 95% of the artists here, to say nothing of the albums in particular. I couldn't even name ten albums released in 2008. And I call myself a musician...oy. So I decided to stop whining and start listening...after all, I can think of a handful of songs that are now favorites of mine after having been introduced to them via the SDMB ("Sweet Ones" by Sarah Slean and "Nothing But Flowers" by Talking Heads come to mind).

This is a daunting undertaking. I spent two hours on youtube and itunes just listening, and I've only made it through a handful of the artists mentioned. The main issue is knowing which songs to listen to from each album, or from the artist in general, if I've never heard them before. I try to start with the songs that are the most popular, since getting hooked on one tune will generally motivate a closer listen to the others. But the popular ones aren't always representative, nor are they always the best. (I've yet to go through the songs posted by HoboStew, but looking forward to it).

So far I have two new albums on my must-buy list:

Vampire Weekend: I'd heard of them but had been resisting. But it seems this one made everybody's top five, and fifty gazillion Elvis fans can't be wrong. The song that hooked me was "Kids Don't Stand a Chance"

Jenny Lewis (Acid Toungue): I just want to say it should be illegal to be both that hot and that talented. The song that got me was "Next Messiah"

This is all by way saying thanks to everyone for sharing. I think I'm like a lot of people, who, as they get older, tend to fall back more on time-tested music they already know and love. There is so much great new music out there, and it's all so accessible in our modern world.

Crystal Castles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbcd3ClWuM&feature=related)
Fleet Foxes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQRS40OKNE&feature=related)
Chad VanGaalen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zlVxeJD4vw)
Fucked Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGSSgPNMcvc) (Weird video, doesn't start for a good minute or two in, give it time.)

Gotta go, more later.

HoboStew
12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Here's links for my top 10 songs. Some i could only find live versions, some are myspace pages that you might have to click on the player for, but its the best I can do:

10) I'm Yours (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A)
9) Kids (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=bIEOZCcaXzE)
8) M79 (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgT9UruWe8)
7) Golden Age (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=hCcEg0tok8o)
6) Hallucinations (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=mw91tPJyPyI)
5) Time to Pretend (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE)
4) Vertigo (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=5I1P0HsbDZ4)
3) Think About It (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=TLEK0UZH4cs)
2) A Heady Tale (http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=vhn_t9ZpUBE&feature=related)
1) Crop Circle Jerk '94 (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=385382335)

Sequent
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks much. Further revelations from the above include "White Winter Hymnal" and "A Heady Tale" and "Vertigo." And "Golden Age" is going to require more listening. The MGMT stuff is really good but doesn't move me as much, at least not right away. That Jason Mraz tune is a study in how to write a perfect pop song.

msmith537
12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
When I read this thread, I thought, How sad it is that I don't know 95% of the artists here, to say nothing of the albums in particular.

Sadly, I didn't find a lot of music in 2008 that I really liked. The only full albums I downloaded were:

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through the Static
The Killers - Day & Age
Coldplay - Viva la Vida
Weezer - Red Album
Jason Mraz - We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things

and throw in some one-hit wonders and Top-40 pop songs.

I simply don't have the time to scour the internet for the latest hits and I don't hear any new music other than whatever happens to be on VH1 or MTV when I get ready in the morning. And it would literally take a week to play all the music listed in this thread.

Ah well.. Guess I better get started.

woodstockbirdybird
12-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Warning: Uber-Geekiness to follow.

Here are the contents of the "Best Of" CDs I've made so far for this year. Some of these I now regret adding, but they impressed me enough initially that I put them on:

Disc 1
1. Los Campesinos! - Death To Los Campesinos!/2. Frank Turner - The Real Damage/3. Bob Mould - The Silence Between Us/4. Goldfrapp - Happiness/5. Magnetic Fields - Drive On Driver/6. Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa/7. Basia Bulat - In The Night/8. Wisely - Through Any Window/9. Dengue Fever - Tiger Phone Card/10. The Battle of Land And Sea - The Beautiful Ones/11. Hot Chip - Ready For The Floor/12. Jason Collett - Out Of Time/13. Supreme Beings Of Leisure - Swallow/14. The Raveonettes - Dead Sound/15. Robyn Hitchcock - Love Affair/16. The Dirtbombs - Ever Lovin' Man/17. Beach House - D.A.R.L.I.N.G./18. R.E.M. - Supernatural Superserious/19. Headlights - On April 2/20. Bon Iver - Skinny Love/21. Pete & The Pirates - Mr. Understanding/22. Cat Power - Blue/23. Atlas Sound - Recent Bedroom

Disc 2
1. R.E.M. - Living Well Is The Best Revenge/2. Threat From Outer Space - Space Out/3. Bob Mould - Stupid Now/4. Gnarls Barkley - Run (I'm A Natural Disaster)/5. Billy Bragg - I Keep Faith/6. Yes King feat. Prezident Brown - Tomorrow Is Another Day/7. She & Him - Why Do You Let Me Stay Here/8. Andrew Bird - The Water Jet Cilice/9. Magnetic Fields - Too Drunk To Dream/10. Portishead - Machine Gun/11. Why? - The Vowels Part 2/12. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Gardenia/13. Destroyer - My Favorite Year/14. Adam Green - Tropical Island/15. Luckyjam - The Best I Can/16. Plants And Animals - Bye Bye Bye/17. The B-52s - Funplex/18. Clinic - Free Not Free/19. Cassettes Won't Listen - Paper Float/20. British Sea Power - Waving Flags

Disc 3
1. Cajun Dance Party - Colourful Life/2. Kelley Polar - A Feeling of the All-Thing/3. The Indelicates - Our Daughters Will Never Be Free/4. Morrissey - That's How People Grow Up/5. Cut Copy - Lights & Music/6. No Kids - For Halloween/7. The Roots - Rising Down/8. Tapes 'n Tapes - Hang Them All/9. Jamie Lidell - Out Of My System/10. Robert Forster - Pandanus/11. Crystal Castles - Vanished/12. The Breeders - Bang On/13. The Teenagers - Homecoming/14. Envelopes - Heaven/15. Radar Bros. - When Cold Air Goes To Sleep/16. My Teenage Stride - Skin Lieutenant/17. Flight of the Conchords - The Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room)/18. Fuck Buttons - Bright Tomorrow/19. The Whitsundays - Bring it On Home

Disc 4
1. Portishead - Silence/2. Foals - Olympic Airways/3. Del the Funky Homosapien - Bubble Pop/4. Cajun Dance Party - The Race/5. The Wedding Present - The Thing I Like Best About Him Is His Girlfriend/6. Ladytron - Ghosts/7. Robert Forster - Demon Days/8. Clinic - The Witch/9. Gentle Touch - Expectations/10. The Indelicates - Julia, We Don't Live in the 60s/11. Chessie - Intercity/12. Thao - Bag of Hammers/13. The Dodos - Fools/14. The Hush Sound - Honey/15. Jim Noir - Don't You Worry/16. The Young Knives - Turn Tail/17. Crystal Stilts - Crystal Stilts/18. Isobel Campbell & mark Lanegan - Come On Over (Turn Me On)/19. The Notwist - Hands On Us

Disc 5
1. The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement/2. All India Radio - Far Away/3. Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal/4. The Radio Dept. - Freddie and the Trojan Horse/5. Wolf Parade - Language City/6. Sigur Ros - Inní mér syngur vitleysingur/7. Blondfire - Pretty Young Thing/8. Gang Of Four - Second Life/9. Wye Oak - I Don't Feel Young/10. Beck - Gamma Ray/11. Gnarls Barkley - Going On/12. Woodhands - Dancer/13. This Is Ivy League - London Bridges/14. M83 - Graveyard Girl/15. Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart/16. The long Blondes - Guilt/17. Duffy - Mercy/18. Billy Bragg - I Almost Killed You/19. No Age - Eraser/20. Richard Hawley - Lady's Bridge/21. Elvis Costello & The Imposters - Go Away

Disc 6
1. Styrofoam - After Sunset/2. Tokyo Police Club - Listen To The Math/3. Black Affair - Japanese Happening/4. Scary Mansion - Sorry We Took All Yr. Money/5. Jamie Lidell - Little Bit Of Feel Good/6. The Old Haunts - Outside Of Divided Time/7. Dengue Fever - Seeing Hands/8. Bon Iver - For Emma/9. Santogold - You'll Find A Way/10. The French Kicks - Said So What/11. Benga & Coki - Night/12. The Dirtbombs - Wreck My Flow/13. Maybe It's Reno - Days Like Cups/14. Correcto - Do It Better/15. Ratatat - Mirando/16. Thomas Function - Can't Say No/17. Magnetic Fields - The Nun's Litany/18. Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing!/19. Nomo - Rings/20. Ponytail - Die Allman Bruder

Disc 7
1. Wire - One Of Us/2. Dr. Dog - Hang On/3. Times New Viking - Drop-out/4. Okkervil River - Lost Coastlines/5. Seun Kuti & Fela's Egypt 80 - Fire Dance/6. Broken Social Scene Presents Brendan Canning - Love Is New/7. The Faint - The Geeks Were Right/8. Carla Bruni - Le Temps Perdu/9. These New Puritans - Elvis/10. Spiritualized - Soul On Fire/11. Nine Inch Nails - 1,000,000/12. Neil Halstead - Sometimes The Wheels/13. Pas/Cal - Summer Is Almost Here/14. The Cool Kids - Black Mags/15. Tilly & The Wall - Pot Kettle Black/16. Cut Copy - Hearts On Fire/17. Primal Scream - The Glory Of Love (Single Version)/18. You Were Always - All The Books I Read/19. Free Kitten - Roughshod/20. Doleful Lions - White Lotus Day

Disc 8
1. Santogold - L.E.S. Artistes/2. The Walkmen - In The New Year/3. Stereolab - Three Women/4. Bloc Party - Mercury/5. Seun Kuti & Fela's Egypt 80 - Many Things/6. Ida Maria - I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked/7. Rotary Ten - I Fear The Field/8. Bitter:Sweet - The Bomb/9. Professor Murder - Flex-It Formula/10. Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You/11. Quantic Presents Flowering Inferno - Cuidad Del Swing/12. Mercy Arms - Half Right/13. Friendly Fires - On Board/14. Red Light Company - Meccano/15. The Notwist - Good Lies/16. Esser - I Love You/17. Junkie XL feat. Electrocute - Mad Pursuit/18. Noah & The Whale - 5 Years Time/19. The Dandy Warhols - Love Song

Disc 9
1. Marching Band - For Your Love/2. R.E.M. - Man-Sized Wreath/3. Matthew Sweet - Sunshine Lies/4. Ra Ra Riot - Dying Is Fine/5. Minisnap - New Broom/6. School Of Language - poor Boy/7. The Cure - The Perfect Boy (Mix 13)/8. James Hunter - Carina/9. Sonny J - Can't Stop Moving/10. 13ghosts - Beyond The Door/11. Cut Off Your Hands - You & I/12. The Uglysuit - Chicago/13. The Little Ones - Morning Tide/14. Of Montral - An Eluardian Instance/15. Department Of Eagles - No One Does It Like You/16. Azeda Booth - In Red/17. Mogwai - The Sun Smells Too Loud/18. Alphabeat - Fascination/19. Sparkadia - Morning Light/20. Brian Wilson - Midnight's Another Day

...aaand I'll finish this next week, because I've got to catch a plane in 5 hours and really shouldn't be wasting my time typing all this out right now. Good night.

Sequent
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM

I'll see your Uber-Geekiness and raise you one regular expression that parses your post: /?\d+\. (.[^-]+) - (.[^/]+)

SuntanTigerTamer
12-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Here are the contents of the "Best Of" CDs I've made so far for this year. Some of these I now regret adding, but they impressed me enough initially that I put them on:

Disc 1

Love it.

But I don't see any War On Drugs on those lists.

Try this:

The War On Drugs - Taking The Farm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki4xBXucjSQ&feature=related

Think Dylan and Springsteen with a Velvet Underground style wall of sound.

I wish I would have heard more about this album. It is front to back good, not a weak track on it.

infinitii
12-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Only 8 (Most of the 'new' music I'm still listening to I've found is from late-2007):

Demi Lovato -- Don't Forget
John Zorn -- The Dreamers
LL Cool J -- Exit 13
Girls Aloud -- Out of Control
Nikka Costa -- Pebble to a Pearl
Santogold -- Santogold
Duffy -- Rockferry
The Veronicas -- Hook Me Up (Released in the states in 2008)

anu-la1979
12-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't have 10 but some albums I've liked this year:

Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend
Santogold: Santogold
M.I.A.: Kala (I say this one makes it in because I heard about it this year:D)
Michael Franti & Spearhead: All Rebel Rockers
Wolfmother (again, doesn't count I know)
Josh Rouse, not because he released anything memorable this year but I discovered him this year.

I don't like most of the new indie bands of 2008. They all sound a little too folksy, low-fi and underproduced for me (I went and listened to samples of the artists from some of these lists). My favourite albums of all time do not include Nickelback, however ;). More like Matthew Sweet, Sublime, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, Pixies, TMBG and other such 90s-heavy fare. My favourite album of all time is Urge Overkill's Saturation.

Much like Cisco & msmith I had only heard of a few of the bands many of you suggested-though I do listen 103.1 when I'm not listening to NPR. I will note this seems to be a somewhat recent phenomenon. I was still really into most indie bands up till 2005 when I was still in school. They just don't sound "rocking" enough to my ears.

Music that I really didn't like: The Fleet Foxes. I was expecting something great because I had heard a lot about them but I couldn't even listen to a 30 second sample.

msmith537
12-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Mathew Sweet is still alive?

Hazle Weatherfield
12-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Mathew Sweet is still alive?

Yes.

http://matthewsweet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=37&Itemid=58

I saw him about 10 years ago at Blueberry Hill in St. Louis. Great show. "Girlfriend" is still one of my favorite songs.

TastesLikeBurning
12-05-2008, 01:57 AM
Couldn't agree more, and I really like M. Ward. I'll concede that I probably need to give it a few more listens, but nothing about that album said Top 10, much less album of the year.

FWIW, I wasn't grabbed by it after the first couple of listens, but I have to say that it is definitely an album worth spending some more time with. Truly great.

Another one that takes awhile is Bon Iver - Forever Emma Ago, which I would almost have as my best for 2008.

OpalCat
12-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Man, I can't wait til I have the time and energy to pay attention to new music again. I've bought one new album this year and can only name one other album that's come out, and that's only because it was on the news. :(

I used to have a job where music was a major part of my daily routine and I got exposed to a lot of stuff, but I don't listen to the radio or have much exposure through other means these days, so it just drifts by :(

Ludovic
12-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Alright, Nothing Special
Emiliana Torrini -Me and Armini

Didn't know she had a new one! The only one I have by her, Love in the Time of Science, sounds to me like what Bjork would sound like if she was only interested in selling albums by repeating her voice style on Birthday. (One of the few instances where I wish someone would sell out.)

If her latest album is like that as well, I'll get it, even if it is nothing special :)

Fiddle Peghead
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
When was Cardinology, by Ryan Adams released? If in 2008, it's the album of the year. "Crossed Out Name" is song of the year.

Fiddle Peghead
12-07-2008, 09:24 PM
But I'm hoping that Paul Westerberg's 49:00 will top Ryan Adams. In 48 minutes I will let you know. Or probably not...

Drunk, ya know.

Fiddle Peghead
12-07-2008, 09:39 PM
P.W. is rocking the hell out of it right now, and he's playing all of the instruments. What a mish-mash of stuff. Get it!

TastesLikeBurning
12-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Didn't know she had a new one! The only one I have by her, Love in the Time of Science, sounds to me like what Bjork would sound like if she was only interested in selling albums by repeating her voice style on Birthday. (One of the few instances where I wish someone would sell out.)

If her latest album is like that as well, I'll get it, even if it is nothing special :)

She did in fact have another album that she put out between these two called Fisherman's Woman which is really an album to savour. Not quite as upbeat as Love in the Time of Science, but achingly beautiful.

A song you may have heard from it is Sunny Road (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyuL1z2tejs) which even though I have loved this song for a long time, took on a new meaning for me recently when I found out she wrote this album as a remembrance of sorts for her boyfriend who died suddenly.

BabaBooey
12-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Seems like 90%+ of the bands listed are indie, which doesn't really interest me aside from Kings of Leon and The Killers (I think they are considered indie), but Steeldrivers' self titled album is one of the best bluegrass albums I've heard. The only other 2008 albums I've heard are the aforementioned Drive By Truckers: Creations Dark (which was really good, but not on par with their other albums) and Jackson Browne's new album, which has some good tracks, some bad ones, but is way too political for my liking. It wouldn't be memorable even if it weren't political.

ZebraShaSha
12-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Seems like 90%+ of the bands listed are indie, which doesn't really interest me aside from Kings of Leon and The Killers (I think they are considered indie), but Steeldrivers' self titled album is one of the best bluegrass albums I've heard. The only other 2008 albums I've heard are the aforementioned Drive By Truckers: Creations Dark (which was really good, but not on par with their other albums) and Jackson Browne's new album, which has some good tracks, some bad ones, but is way too political for my liking. It wouldn't be memorable even if it weren't political.

Kings of Leon lost their indie card; The Killers never had it.

Speaking of Brown, there's a whole slew of really great remix albums that were released last yearish, but are still worth mentioning (because I found out about them this year): J Rocc's Say It Loud, Say it Proud (http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=12282) along with Cooking Ingredients (http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=12285), and B+'s album (http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=12289) is superb as well. There's another by Madlib but I can't find it right now. Ah well.

Caprese
12-14-2008, 06:03 AM
TV on the Radio - "Dear Science" (contender for my favourite. These guys are awesome)

The Raconteurs - "Consolers of the Lonely" (kinda disappointed nobody else has mentioned them yet)

I'm not all that familiar with Vampire Weekend but enjoy what I've heard.
My hipster credentials expired a long time ago; being irrelevant is both humbling and liberating.

I'm still listening to Consolers, and I bought the album just a couple weeks after its release.

I like TV on the Radio--I bought a few tracks from Dear Science and have been enjoying them.

Other music I've enjoyed this year:

Fleet Foxes eponymous album, I love the harmonies and old-timey feel

Ratatat's Shiller and Mirando.

I've been enthralled with Beirut's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beirut_(band)) old world indie stuff, love the horns and Condon's vocals, but perhaps their Flying Club Cup album cannot be considered 2008, it having been released in October of 2007.

Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party
12-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Best: Strength in Numbers by The Music

Biggest disappointment: Forth by The Verve. Love is Noise was a good single. The rest of the album was pussified crap about sipping lattes. Ashcroft's been living in London for too long.

don't ask
12-14-2008, 07:42 AM
I think this may be the worst year since god knows when, in terms of musical acquisitions. All I can remember buying (and I don't even know if they are all 2008 releases) are:

Dig!!!Lazarus Dig!!! by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes
Break Up The Concrete by The Pretenders
Brighter Than Creation's Dark by Drive By Truckers
Harps and Angels by Randy Newman
Real Animal by Alejandro Escovedo
The Airborne Toxic Event by The Airborne Toxic Event
The Felice Brothers by The Felice Brothers
The Flying Club Cup by Beirut
Flying Colours by Bliss n Eso
Gurrumul by Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu

blondebear
12-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Of the 30 or so albums I got this year. only three were released in 2008: Ray Davies' "Working Man's Cafe", Dave Gilmour's "Live in Gdansk", and Tom Petty with his old band, "Mudcrutch".

Cisco
12-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I think this may be the worst year since god knows when, in terms of musical acquisitions. All I can remember buying (and I don't even know if they are all 2008 releases) are:

Dig!!!Lazarus Dig!!! by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes
Break Up The Concrete by The Pretenders
Brighter Than Creation's Dark by Drive By Truckers
Harps and Angels by Randy Newman
Real Animal by Alejandro Escovedo
The Airborne Toxic Event by The Airborne Toxic Event
The Felice Brothers by The Felice Brothers
The Flying Club Cup by Beirut
Flying Colours by Bliss n Eso
Gurrumul by Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu
And that's a bad year for you? I doubt I've bought that many albums in a year this decade. Though in 1997 I would buy about that many albums per week.

DfrntBreign
12-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I had most of a very good post with links and summaries and observations (oh my) only to have my browser crash (fucking MySpace) eating it all. So you get this.
What I bought in 2008 (that was also released in 2008)

The Reasoning - Dark Angel
Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus and the Mysterion of Rock
Steve Winwood - Nine Lives
The Tangent - Not As Good As The Book
The Flower Kings - The Sum of No Evil (Sp. Ed.)
Widespread Panic - Free Somehow
moe. - Sticks and Stones

also Mitch Hedberg - Do You Believe In Gosh? but that's not music.

The Reasoning is probably the only thing on the list that is even remotely "new", but then I am an old man.
The Satriani is not the first I've ever bought, but it's the first in a number of years.
I hated the post-Traffic Winwood stuff, but the last couple of years has renewed my faith in him. I love this and About Time from 2006.
The Widespread Panic and moe. I bought mostly from inertia. While I don't think either suck, I am not that crazy about them. I would see either band live, but studio albums are not their forté (although to be fair, they both have studio albums I like. See No Doy for moe. and Space Wrangler or Ain't Life Grand for WP.)
The Tangent and The Flower Kings are modern progressive rock bands from England and Sweden, respectively. If you liked old school Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis, or bands like Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, Tool. etc. you should at least check them out. Don't expect any three minute, hummable pop songs, though.

I also downloaded an EP from Rose Falcon for a friend. I thought it was quite nice.

As you can probably see, I'm not really plugged in to any "new music scene". But I do check out what others have posted and am always surprised to find music I really like. So Thanks, everyone for helping me find new stuff to listen to.

Captain Lance Murdoch
12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
When I first started this I thought it would be hard to find 10 worthy albums and then I realized it would be hard to narrow it down to 10. Nick Cave, Bon Iver, Spiritualized, Beck, MGMT and others that I liked didn't make the cut

1. Distortion - The Magnetic Fields It's like other Stephin Merritt records only it's not. There are a lot of great songs on this one from "California Girls" which is the antithesis of the regrettable Beach Boys standard to "Drive On Driver" which wallows in the power tool like distortion that envelopes the whole album. I have no doubt Merritt's next album will sound a lot different than this, but I can't wait to hear it.
2. Lust Lust Lust - The Ravenottes I just love the noisy pop these two make.
3. Acid Tongue - Jenny Lewis Better than Rilo Kiley.
4. The Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow
5. Third - Portishead
6. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
7. Dear Science - TV On The Radio
8. Offend Maggie - Deerhoof
9. Exit - Shugo Tokumaru
10. We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed - Los Campesinos!

Sam Stone
12-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I thought this was a pretty dismal year for music, actually. I thought the Beck album was just okay, The Hold Steady was pretty good but not fantastic, and there wasn't much else I really liked, with one exception:

The Black Keys - Attack and Release was, for my money, the best album of the year.

Captain Lance Murdoch
12-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh, by the way, my choice for the most overrated album of the year goes to Donkey by CSS.

HoboStew
01-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I took some of the things I posted in this thread and decided to turn them in to an article. Lo and behold - it actually got published by the International Mixtape Project!

Check it Out. (http://www.internationalmixtapeproject.com/showArticle.php?articleID=6797)

Cluricaun
01-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Ok, new nomination: Opeth's Watershed. Opeth is a different band, they have the death metal moments wrapped up in a nice organic blanket of 70's prog rock and Watershed is a nice addition to the discography. Challenging at the first listen (as is the entire catalog) this record really grows on you after a few listens with some really strong stand out tracks like Burden and The Lotus Eaters. I'll admit that metal prog is a newer genre for me, but this stands out really well and unlike some of the previous albums bears repeated listens. It's everything you want from Dream Theatre minus the hair metal pro tools moments.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.