PDA

View Full Version : Any Love for Flapjack?

bup
02-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Anyone else watch this show (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvelous_Misadventures_of_Flapjack)?

The animation looks like Yellow Submarine/Monty Python, but Yellow Submarine wishes it were this weird, and Monty Python wishes its animation were this accessibly funny. Yes, YS is weird, but so over-the-top weird - Flapjack makes it look effortless.

It's weird in a quiet yet profound way. The main characters sleep in a whale. The local candy shop/hangout is a bar- mugs of candy on draught. When they need to buy shelf polish, they go to the shelf polish store. FlapJack looks like he belongs in Cap'n Crunch (http://cerealbits.com/cereal/boxes4sale/ccpins.jpg)'s crew. None of this stuff is discussed - it's just there.

Anyway, I'm hooked, and wondering if others think it's great.

Constant Reader
02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
I too love Flapjack, but since I work for the company that airs the show I'm a bit biased. I really do believe I would like the show even if I didn't work here.

I love the animation, the close-up "realism" shots, the humor, the oddity, the strange characters in Stormalong Harbor, the random sound bites of "two pieces of candy", and not knowing where each story will take me. I know a lot of people who are turned off by how strange it is and the many, many nipples. :)

Lochdale
02-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Great show. Surreal and slightly sinister without being too grotesque. Big fan.

WordMan
02-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I know a lot of people who are turned off by ... the many, many nipples. :)

My kids watch it - like they watch Fred on youTube (see the link I just started on that).

I watched an episode of Flapjack with them where the captain guy was in love with...himself, so he dated a mirror with a wig on it. The man-boobs he sported throughout were just...weird...

The Hamster King
02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
My kids and I love it. I particularly like the episode where Flapjack turns the duck into his little brother. That and the one where the aristocratic lady tries to turn him into a gentlemen.

"Baa, says the lamb. The lamb says baa."

Sauron
02-20-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't really care for Flapjack, but my kids watch it. I must admit there was one throwaway line that made me stop in my tracks and laugh out loud as I was walking past the television one day.

The whale was talking to an upset octopus as Flapjack approaches them, and she (the whale) says, "Uh-UH, honey, he knew you had eight arms when you started dating him."

Lucky 13
02-20-2009, 10:54 PM
My daughter loves this show. I liked the Valentine's Day episode, in which Flapjack thinks he's in love with the girl from Blood Island because hearts keep popping out of his head, and the candy store guy sells the hearts as a new type of candy or something, until the local doctor realizes the "hearts" are actually blood leeches (or some other type of bloodsucking parasite) , and chaos ensues. My favorite part was the end of the episode, in which someone says something along the lines of "at least nobody ended up in love," and Captain K'nuckles looks longingly at the candy store guy's wife, who incidentally is made of candy.

Hunter Hawk
02-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Any Love for Flapjack?
Am I the only one who saw the thread title and perked up because they thought it would be about the burro? Because that burro was pretty cool.

Ranchoth
02-21-2009, 03:03 AM
I don't catch it as often as I could, or should...but I think the first episode I ever saw, the one where K'nuckles was recalling how he carved his prosthetic hand, only to realize he'd accidentally carved it for the wrong hand—and so chopped off his GOOD hand so the prosthetic wouldn't be a waste, and set about carving a NEW false hand for the stump he ORIGINALLY had, sold me. :D

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.